Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 76

Author Topic: ITS RAINING SIDEWAYS! (2020 N. American Hurricane Thread)  (Read 116390 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: ITS RAINING SIDEWAYS! (2017 N. American Hurricane Thread)
« Reply #405 on: September 06, 2017, 11:35:59 am »

Irma is now officialy stronger than God, when it forced the Pope's plane to make a detour to avoid getting swallowed.
The Pope was flying from Rome to Colombia today.
The Vatican reports that "because of the hurricane, the Holy Father will take a more southern route, and travel through the airspace of 3 different nations".

« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 11:41:09 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: September 06, 2017, 11:39:11 am »

"Dear Lord, please save us from Hurricane Irma."

"HEY MAN, I DON'T FUCK WITH THAT AND NEITHER SHOULD YOU. MIND YOUR BUSINESS AROUND HERE, THIS IS A TOUGH NEIGHBORHOOD."
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: September 06, 2017, 11:41:14 am »

Our minister of internal affairs has said that the damage on St. Maarten and surrounding islands is catastrophic. Nothing is known about casualties yet.
Contact with the island is neigh impossible. The last contact the minister had with the minister-president of the island was more than 10 hours ago.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: September 06, 2017, 11:43:15 am »

I hope casualties are minimal over there. Maybe he can try to get into contact with the French part of the island?

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: September 06, 2017, 11:50:38 am »

I saw that Dutch marines have done some overflights, and a Dutch naval vessel is scheduled to arrive at St. Maarten by 8pm local time.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: September 06, 2017, 11:53:21 am »

Yahoo Finance blog reports that prices for airline tickets out of Florida have risen by a factor 10 over the past few days.
"When I logged into the website of American Airlines, I was expecting ticket prices of 160 dollars. 260 dollars wouldn't have surprised me either. But I nearly got a heart attack when I saw the real price, 1020 dollars. I've flown this trajectory a lot (Miami to West Hartford, Connecticut). I've never seen it higher than 700 dollars", wrote John Lyons on the Yahoo blog.

I saw that Dutch marines have done some overflights, and a Dutch naval vessel is scheduled to arrive at St. Maarten by 8pm local time.
Yes, Dutch navy vessels were dispatched from the below wind (south of the Trade Winds) Dutch island of Curacao and Aruba a few days ago, and are on standby to begin rescue, and food distribution operations as soon as conditions allow for landfall.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 11:55:16 am by martinuzz »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: September 06, 2017, 11:54:35 am »

Yahoo Finance blog reports that prices for airline tickets out of Florida have risen by a factor 10 over the past few days.
"When I logged into the website of American Airlines, I was expecting ticket prices of 160 dollars. 260 dollars wouldn't have surprised me either. But I nearly got a heart attack when I saw the real price, 1020 dollars. I've flown this trajectory a lot (Miami to West Hartford, Connecticut). I've never seen it higher than 700 dollars", wrote John Lyons on the Yahoo blog.
Wonder if that falls afoul of anti-gouging laws? I get that demand for flights out have spiked, but c'mon...

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: September 06, 2017, 11:56:07 am »

Not sure if airline price gouging or legitimate factors.

Wonder if that falls afoul of anti-gouging laws? I get that demand for flights out have spiked, but c'mon...

My thoughts too.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: September 06, 2017, 11:56:18 am »

Airline companies say they have no hand in the price raising, but that instead, it is a logical consequence of the enormous amount of people that are trying to book last minute flights.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: September 06, 2017, 11:58:58 am »

Airline companies say they have no hand in the price raising, but that instead, it is a logical consequence of the enormous amount of people that are trying to book last minute flights.
That sounds like a Pontius Pilate excuse to me. THey may have algorithms that jack up the price if there's a spike in localized demand, but to me, that just means you have an automated price gouging algorithm. Airlines should be prohibited from using those in emergency situations, and/or capped on how much they can jack up rates.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: September 06, 2017, 12:13:38 pm »

Jesus that's half of what it costs to fly to Europe.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: September 06, 2017, 12:19:22 pm »

You get lucky with price discounts, you can fly to Europe for a lot less than that.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: September 06, 2017, 12:20:58 pm »

I can find Brussels to NY flight for less than 700$ both way you know...

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: September 06, 2017, 12:23:35 pm »

Im in Miami, driving to Atlanta. Irmagerd.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: September 06, 2017, 12:24:38 pm »

Good luck.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 76