Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 76

Author Topic: ITS RAINING SIDEWAYS! (2020 N. American Hurricane Thread)  (Read 116206 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: ITS RAINING SIDEWAYS! (2017 N. American Hurricane Thread)
« Reply #420 on: September 06, 2017, 12:33:02 pm »

Eye is currently passing over the Virgin Islands, should be skimming the north shore of Puerto Rico later this evening.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: September 06, 2017, 01:25:07 pm »

Euro's coming in now. General model consensus seems to be on a Miami landfall before going off the coast again.

There might not be a Miami left after this.

Shiiiii.....

I was worried about a direct landfall on Miami, they already have partial flooding issues just from high tide. Even an indirect hit is going to be bad though.

Sheb, better tell your Bengali/Indian coworker to tell his wife to either evacuate or otherwise get into a tall building (when the hurricane arrives that is).

edit: I checked a tide table for Miami and the tide will be near low tide if it hits around 8 AM sunday if the NOAA track is accurate, which would help a little.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 01:44:01 pm by smjjames »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: September 06, 2017, 01:55:26 pm »

Heh. Tall building helps with the surge, less so the wind.

Any case, bit of driving was done today picking up a few things. Looks like just about every store in 30-40 miles in either direction from my place are flat out of water. Asked at a nearby walmart, found out they've been getting 3-4 (or more) trucks of water a day since yesterday-ish, and generally selling out in less than thirty minutes. Kinda' impressive, since the store's a good hour or two inland.

... also gained a mild curiosity re: chef boy ardee's sales numbers. The two things I noticed that walmart just utterly out of were water and canned pasta. Plenty of dried stuff, even most other canned things still had like a good half to quarter shelf space filled, but the chef boy ardee and knockoff brand shelves were just straight up empty. Looks a lot like whoever owns 'em is making bank right about now.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: September 06, 2017, 02:09:53 pm »

Heh. Tall building helps with the surge, less so the wind.

Any case, bit of driving was done today picking up a few things. Looks like just about every store in 30-40 miles in either direction from my place are flat out of water. Asked at a nearby walmart, found out they've been getting 3-4 (or more) trucks of water a day since yesterday-ish, and generally selling out in less than thirty minutes. Kinda' impressive, since the store's a good hour or two inland.

... also gained a mild curiosity re: chef boy ardee's sales numbers. The two things I noticed that walmart just utterly out of were water and canned pasta. Plenty of dried stuff, even most other canned things still had like a good half to quarter shelf space filled, but the chef boy ardee and knockoff brand shelves were just straight up empty. Looks a lot like whoever owns 'em is making bank right about now.
Raviolis and Spaghetti-O's are one of those few canned things that you can eat straight out of the can with no cooking. I mean, sure, if you want to be technical there's a lot of things that you can do that with, but you wouldn't want to. I had a co-worker who would eat creamed corn out of the can.

But that's why they have a negative Enjoyability factor. (Is it a bad sign that I'm starting to assess things in terms of a zombie apocalypse simulator?)

And according to NOAA's storm surge maps, Miami actually isn't in that bad a shape for storm surges. Tampa is at far more risk, in event of a direct hit.

EDIT: Latest update also has it increasing a half-step in the Dvorak scale, from T6.5 to T7.0 (meaning it's more organized).
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 02:27:24 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: September 06, 2017, 02:24:45 pm »

Oh aye, knew that was why they were selling. Unheated chef boy ardee is disturbingly tasty, or at least some varieties of it are. One of the reasons I actually tend to overcook them a bit if I'm eating 'em. Anything that makes that happen probably needs to be purged with fire.
Ask not!
Ask!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: September 06, 2017, 03:29:36 pm »

My store got a truck full of bottled water. (well not a full truck, they were delivering to other places too)  The moment it came in one guy walked up to the counter, pointed to the rolltainer of water and said that he is buying ALL of that.  Despite it seeming like an asshole move neither me or my manger could think of a legitimate reason why he could not. And the delivery driver just ended up pushing the rolltainer out to his pickup instead of the shelf.

What somebody could legitimately use some 12 24 packs of bottled water for is anybody's guess.  That's not hurricane prep there, that's end of civilization as we know it prep.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 03:32:44 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: September 06, 2017, 03:38:55 pm »

Or reselling it at a higher price prep.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: September 06, 2017, 03:43:21 pm »

Possibly, I know there is a couple that runs a nearby gas station that buys out all our 2 liters of diet coke every week, and then resells them in their gas station at a markup.  Something I'm told they could lose their license over, but the manager is fine with it as long as they don't start trying to use cupons.

I didn't think of that, he's not one of those folks, but yea more and more I think about it he's probably gunna resell them for twice that in a couple days.  P.S. The water is clover valley brand too, which is basically our store's generic brand, if he does resell it it's going to be pretty obvious he's doing so.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 03:45:58 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: September 06, 2017, 03:47:37 pm »

Or reselling it at a higher price prep.

That'd be price gouging. Though technically, stuff you buy at a store like that aren't meant for resale.

Edit: Jose and Katia have reached hurricane status.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 04:27:52 pm by smjjames »

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: September 06, 2017, 04:31:38 pm »

Obviously the Chinese got their weather control satellite up and running.  :P
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: September 06, 2017, 04:36:55 pm »

Hmm. If you had a secret weather control satellite which you could use to wreck a country on another continent without anyone knowing it was you, would you use it?

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: September 06, 2017, 04:43:13 pm »

Yes, Britain would be inundated by endless drizzle and fog, to forever cloud their minds and make them miserable.

...I just realized that I am becoming Bay 12's Rogal Dorn...
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 04:44:59 pm by NullForceOmega »
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: September 06, 2017, 07:24:52 pm »

Welp. Barbuda is straight fucked. Head honcho critter there is saying 60+% of the homes on the island are rubble. Seem to recall that "only" adds up to something under a thousand (total pop's like 1700?) folks that just had their most everything leveled, but. Yeah. Currently casualties aren't very high, though, last I saw mention.
Ask not!
Ask!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: September 07, 2017, 02:45:17 am »

Naval helicopter flew over St. Maarten and made a video.
There's no idea about casualties yet. There is no internet or telephone connection to the island left.
https://youtu.be/lkSNWkgkH4Q

o_0 there  ... are no trees left? There used to be trees and shrubs where that big muddy hill stands.

Dutch government called in all ministers for a crisis meeting.

The Navy has been unable to make landfall because the port is too damaged (and boobytrapped with sharp pointy shipwrecks and various debris). The first priority now is to try and repair a runway, so aircraft can land. The government hopes that marines will have succeeded in creating a free runway on friday. After that they are going to look at the port.

Meanwhile on the island of Barbados, one Darwin award has been confirmed. A surfer died of his own stupidity.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 02:51:23 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: September 07, 2017, 08:19:44 am »

Getting help to St. Maarten is becoming more and more a race against the clock. There's no drinking water, electricity or medical facilities left on the island. Mobile phone networks are back up, kind of. Internet and landlines are still down, and it is expected to take weeks to months to get electricity and internet back to the island. The two Dutch naval vessels do have desalination machines on board to create drinking water, but they cannot reach the port. In less than two days, the next hurricane will strike the island. The island's 75000 inhabitants are at risk of dying from lack of drinkable water. The governor of the French part of the island reports 95% of all buildings have been destroyed. The Dutch part of the island still hasn't been reached to make damage assessments, nor is anything known about casualties.

The Dutch government has joined the French government in Paris for an emergency meeting.

The British island of Anguila looks like 'it was flattened by a nuclear bomb', according to eye-witnesses. The Virgin Islands have also sustained major damage, according to the British government.

Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 76