Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 76

Author Topic: ITS RAINING SIDEWAYS! (2020 N. American Hurricane Thread)  (Read 116410 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: ITS RAINING SIDEWAYS! (2017 N. American Hurricane Thread)
« Reply #375 on: September 05, 2017, 11:32:41 pm »

[Best case scenario buying used mattresses]
I hope you're okay, Frumple.  And also my friend.
Somehow.  Fingers crossed ):
Be careful, I guess, as if you weren't already.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: September 05, 2017, 11:45:45 pm »

Eh, we still got a few days of wiggle room, and at least personally I'm far enough inland the last times a high cat storm hit near here it didn't really do much (though there was a tree uprooted from a family member's back yard and set down a few blocks away either a bit before or shortly after I was born. Tornadoes are fun when they don't kill people.) to where I'm at. Also shouldn't have that much trouble staying gone (as in a couple states away) for a few days, if it comes to it.

Insofar as it doesn't land as a cat 5(+, new categories finally getting made) and decides that's a nice everything florida has, I'm about as likely as you get of coming through fine even if I end up staying put. It's never 100% certain, because occasionally nature decides to fuck you in particular and drags a tornado through your bedroom with you in it, but it's been good odds and should still be.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: September 05, 2017, 11:49:43 pm »

I'm not sure what it says, but it probably says something that the new category is just a plus on the old one, not a whole number up.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: September 06, 2017, 12:13:24 am »

Eh? No, pretty sure they've been considering cat 6, cat 7, etc. Stuff extrapolated from the current categories.

Mind, I can sorta' see not bothering. Getting too far over what we already have as a cat 5 is getting into "is not actually hurricane, but hurricane sized tornado" territory, and it's already well inside the "yeah, everything this directly hits is fucked" one. If you need more than "fairly likely to level just about everything within dozens of miles" to know to gtfo I'm not sure gradients of "will level them harder and over an even wider area" is really going to help.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 12:17:51 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: September 06, 2017, 01:23:28 am »

*pokes head in thread* *looks at storm tracks* *notes that the storm is bigger than the entire bloody state*

Welp.  Time to panic.  Are hurricanes trying to make up for all those years of missing us?  Just last october there was one that stole my goddamn name and now there's ANOTHER one coming?  I just got a new computer too.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: September 06, 2017, 01:48:16 am »

ISS shot a video while passing over Irma.

Holy mother of storms, that thing is enormous.

https://youtu.be/QBDheVyH8SM

EDIT: awesome evil monster head cloud coming into view at about 4:20 in that video.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 04:03:30 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: September 06, 2017, 06:44:51 am »

First pic from St. Maarten, while the eye is passing over it.

https://mobile.twitter.com/the_worldface/status/905388777509675009?p=v

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: September 06, 2017, 06:58:44 am »

First pic from St. Maarten, while the eye is passing over it.

https://mobile.twitter.com/the_worldface/status/905388777509675009?p=v

Welp, looks bad enough alright.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: September 06, 2017, 08:16:12 am »

Who wants to go to the beach?

Camera is total whiteout right now, with horizontial rain flying past. I'd have thought it was a blizzard if I didn't know better.

The NOAA cone now has it going straight up the middle of the state, I guess there's still some uncertianity which way it'll go, and yeah, the whole thing is wider than the state.

*pokes head in thread* *looks at storm tracks* *notes that the storm is bigger than the entire bloody state*

Welp.  Time to panic.  Are hurricanes trying to make up for all those years of missing us?  Just last october there was one that stole my goddamn name and now there's ANOTHER one coming?  I just got a new computer too.

If by another one, you mean Jose, looks like that one could stay out at sea.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 08:22:12 am by smjjames »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: September 06, 2017, 08:58:03 am »

Who wants to go to the beach?
I'm actually kind of surprised it's still online.

As of 8am EST, max sustained winds are at 185mph (295 km/h), pressure is at 918mb.

The models have shifted the track eastwards, so at the moment it looks like Tampa and the Gulf Coast may not be for as bad a time (though mind you, this fucker is so big you're still likely to get flooding and wind damage).
Spoiler: Latest models. (click to show/hide)
However, those tracks suddenly make people in the Carolinas shit themselves. You're looking at tracks suggesting a Cat 4-5 hitting NC/SC, and a disturbingly high number of tracks that have it going into the NC mountains(?).

Of interest is the one bright blue line (EGR2). If you cross-reference that with the intensity models, you see that it's projecting a rare Georgia landfall with it still being a 5+ (actually, being *stronger* than now) by the time it gets to Atlanta.  :o

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: September 06, 2017, 09:10:29 am »

I dunno, seems like theres still quite a bit of uncertianity about where it'll go, and it's so big that the precise track doesn't really matter.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: September 06, 2017, 09:20:24 am »

Yeah, we're very much looking at a distribution here.

My Bengali coworker just came back from Miami where his wife is working (he was there writing his thesis for a couple month). Apparently the local supermarkets are already out of water and non-perishables, so he feels pretty shitty leaving her behind. Let's hope this blow over soon.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: September 06, 2017, 09:34:10 am »

The airport (that famous one were you can stand on the beach and nearly touch the landing boeing 737) and electricity plants on St. Maarten have been heavily damaged / destroyed. The French authorities of the French side of the island (St. Martin) report that even their most sturdily constructed buildings have been destroyed by Irma. Electricity plant on the French island of Saint Barthélemy is also also down.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: September 06, 2017, 09:49:54 am »

Speaking of St. Bart, the camera Ispil linked to is on that island. The whiteout stopped, but it's too dark for the camera. *goes to look up where in the Carribean St. Bart is*

Not an expert observation, but I think maybe the camera is currently under the eye.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 09:51:37 am by smjjames »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: September 06, 2017, 09:56:25 am »

There appears to be structures still intact that even have lighting on (doubt the power grid is still up, probably generators for the resort). Still, that's encouraging.

EDIT:
Just noticed there are more cams on the island, from the marina:
https://www.webcamtaxi.com/en/saint-barthelemy/gustavia/port-cam1.html
https://www.webcamtaxi.com/en/saint-barthelemy/gustavia/port-cam2.html

Unfortunately, they're basically whited out. You can occasionally see the shadows of objects blowing in the background, but not much else.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 10:00:44 am by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 76