Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28

Author Topic: THE SYSTEM - Game Over!  (Read 36096 times)

roo

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm "trying"
    • View Profile
Re: THE SYSTEM - Game Over!
« Reply #390 on: October 27, 2015, 07:35:43 pm »

Fun game tho
Or not it's cool.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: October 27, 2015, 07:39:16 pm »

Oh, looks like as the scanner, I didn't win OR lose. :p Because I found Shakerag?
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: October 27, 2015, 07:41:16 pm »

Damn you OSG for wiping my last ad!
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: October 27, 2015, 07:43:28 pm »

Who wiped your first ad?
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: October 27, 2015, 07:44:10 pm »

Who wiped your first ad?
No idea, I didn't get informed about such things.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: October 27, 2015, 08:08:41 pm »

Oh, looks like as the scanner, I didn't win OR lose. :p Because I found Shakerag?

Oh, sorry. You lost, I'm afraid, you needed to get all the Viruses taken out.

Heh, not quite enough town roles to counter scum team imo, but feel free to disagree.
Well, the Monitors would have done you a ton of good if the Scum had ever targeted them since the AI would have notified you all of Suspicious activity by whoever had taken them out. But they avoided them, which pretty much screwed you all over in various ways.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: October 27, 2015, 09:52:33 pm »

Who wiped your first ad?
That was me, since apparently no one else felt like using their powers :/ .

Anyway, now that I'm done being bitter and all, I'd say it was pretty much a perfect game for the scum team. Bussing TDS was probably a bit unnecessary. In the future I guess I'll be bearing in mind that self preservation isn't necessarily a sumtell for new players.

Also:
Third, there an aspect that was completely hidden, though allude to in ToonyMan's role. The two Monitor Programs were actually buggy and required an Update in order to function correctly. There was a 20% chance that any post they quoted in their posts would be corrupted in the process. Which is where all of the corruption with missing bits was coming from. The garbled post was a use from TheDarkStar's power, but he actually didn't end up doing much of that.
I've been binging on Layton games. I should have been able to figure this out.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 10:13:45 pm by Deus Asmoth »
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: October 27, 2015, 11:17:31 pm »

Quote from: Shakerag from scumchat
Since NQT has a godfather role, I think we can assume there's at least one cop. We might as well consider how things'll go down if I get inspected, since I think it's a decent possibility.
Called it.

Deus:
Quote from: Deus from deadchat
I honestly think that Shakerag has this pretty much in the bag. With the attention black hole that TBF and Tomasque ended up being during day 1 and 2 there really isn't that much there to build a case on him.
Yup.  That, and I could very readily have bussed both of my scumbuddies.  And I was a doublevoter.  And we hit the cop N1.  And, as NQT said in scumchat: "TBF is the best member of the mafia team."

Bussing TDS was probably a bit unnecessary. In the future I guess I'll be bearing in mind that self preservation isn't necessarily a sumtell for new players.
I disagree.  I felt uncomfortable for not further calling out TDS and NQT on their lurking bullshit for as long as I did, given that I FoSed TDS on D2.  I pretty much had to follow up on that D3 since he was still a lurking scumass.

Also, yeah.  Wild, flailing self-preservation is pretty much a hallmark of new players.  I'd be more suspicious of any new player who is being awfully cool under pressure - they might be just naturally that way but I'd put more money on they're getting coached.

Awesome!  I've got the three DS games, two 3DS games, and the movie.  I need to get the Azran Legacy and maaaaybe the Layton vs. Phoenix Wright one too.

Quote from: Deus from deadchat
Bah. I had a feeling that Shakerag was imitating his normal playstyle rather than actually playing it. Couldn't find a way to word it properly though. I need to trust my gut more, I guess.
Yeah ... I was dialing it in a bit as this game stretched on.  With all the lurkers and juicy mislynches sitting out there and me being a doublevoter .. I very likely did drop my guard a bit as I figured we could likely stalemate any resistance from the town.  The only reason I didn't just claim scum and gloat in everyone's faces was because I was afraid Peradon/roo or you could have had some ability that would check the scumteam's power. 

Meph:
So...there were a few things about this set-up that put it into the Semi-Bastard category

First off, there was the hidden aspect to the Edits I was doing. Without clear rules as to how and why they were happening, it was of course difficult for everyone to figure out what was going on. Too confusing, perhaps, as people didn't try to hard to dig into it.

Second, the set-up itself was not a standard Mafia game. While there was a pretty standard Scum team in the Viruses, most of the 'Town' players actually had their own win conditions that were independent of the Viruses existence.

Third, there an aspect that was completely hidden, though allude to in ToonyMan's role. The two Monitor Programs were actually buggy and required an Update in order to function correctly. There was a 20% chance that any post they quoted in their posts would be corrupted in the process. Which is where all of the corruption with missing bits was coming from. The garbled post was a use from TheDarkStar's power, but he actually didn't end up doing much of that.

Amusingly, The Ad-Ware and Anti-Spam Filter were in direct competition but could both have won. Didn't happen that way, but it was possible.
Interesting.  I figured the edits/ads/corruption had to be more than just flavor, but I couldn't figure it out at all.  I guess I suck at pattern recognition. 

I got fairly convinced that the scumteam didn't really need to do much with the gimmick, so I kind of put it by the wayside honestly.  I think a lot of inactivity prohibited much analysis of the bastard mechanics as well.

flabort:
Quote from: flabort from deadchat
Wagoning to secure a mislynch, Shaker. Maybe TBF is scum, since you didn't join HIS wagon... or you figure he's so bad he'll get himself lynched without your help. Either way, I bet you'll leave him alive this night.
Yup.  I figured it was a pretty safe wagon vote, since ToonyMan had actually done fuck all that day.  And, you know, was throwing up some weird bullshit about the edited posts and his vote on Peradon.  I left TBF alone because he pretty much screamed "I am town!".  And he seemed pretty easy to manipulate.  I didn't think he'd get lynched at all, honestly.  There were enough lurkers in this game (my teammates included) that I thought I had a pretty good variety of choices to drive a mislynch on. 

Also it's kind of funny that I never really used my doublevoter power.  But it was a hell of an insurance policy.

Quote from: same
Come on guys, take out shakerag on the next lynch! Please....
This was pretty much impossible at that point.  Sorry :(

Teneb:
Quote from: Teneb from deadchat
Since you've found that Shakerag was a virus, I guess it makes sense how he kept trying to push weak cases that I was bandwagonning on me but never followed through because no one really listened.
Yeah, you were kind of my backup plan.  Mostly I was ragging on you to see if I could get you to react poorly which would give me an easy opening to push harder.  But you didn't, and easier targets made themselves available. 

roo

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm "trying"
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: October 27, 2015, 11:55:41 pm »

I'm always open to new insights about my gameplay. Even though my entrance was shortlived I welcome any criticisms. Am looking to improve.
Or not it's cool.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: October 28, 2015, 12:07:34 am »

I'm always open to new insights about my gameplay. Even though my entrance was shortlived I welcome any criticisms. Am looking to improve.
Try to defend yourself more. (you didn't do it at all)
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: THE SYSTEM - Active Cycle 4
« Reply #400 on: October 28, 2015, 12:52:10 am »

I told him to roleclaim.
Ugh.
GG all.
Technically it wouldn't have mattered.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: October 28, 2015, 06:38:27 am »

Shake
Awesome!  I've got the three DS games, two 3DS games, and the movie.  I need to get the Azran Legacy and maaaaybe the Layton vs. Phoenix Wright one too.
Layton vs Phoenix is... ok, I guess. There were no incredibly challenging puzzles to be found, and it could just be because I haven't played any Ace Attorney before, but the last case felt like it lasted for years.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: October 28, 2015, 09:35:01 am »

Well that was pretty straightforward. Again, my analysis was essentially correct (it found TDS to be scummy and TBF to be not-scum). I usually don't like bussing team mates, but it seemed to work out here.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 09:38:30 am by notquitethere »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: October 28, 2015, 10:34:37 am »

What did people think about the basic mechanics of post editing? Interesting? Frustrating? Time-consuming to deal with?

I have some ideas for a regular mafia game that uses that mechanic, but I want to make sure that it's fun.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: October 28, 2015, 12:08:58 pm »

What did people think about the basic mechanics of post editing? Interesting? Frustrating? Time-consuming to deal with?

I have some ideas for a regular mafia game that uses that mechanic, but I want to make sure that it's fun.
Interesting.  Although it was a bit frustrating to try and look back for more ammo to build a case with and run into a garbled post.  Also makes it hard to re-read through the game after it's over.  Maybe save a copy of the pre-edited post to repost post-game?  So both versions are preserved for post-game analysis.

I'm not really sold on whether it's an overall good or bad mechanic yet.  In this game, IMO, it largely ended up adding to the flavor of the game at best, and making it hard to make any rereads at worst.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28