Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 25

Author Topic: Aira's Playing (Sprout: Bees, Farming, Magic, and Monks!)  (Read 45093 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Aira's Playing (Foolcraft #4: Mom is Wiggin' Out!)
« Reply #300 on: April 19, 2017, 01:27:53 pm »

I can see you have a lot of fun with Foolcraft :)
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Re: Aira's Playing (Review: Everything for PC)
« Reply #301 on: April 21, 2017, 09:34:26 am »

Oh, yes, there is great fun to be had. :D

I've been wanting to share this for a few weeks, but I was asked by the company not to post any footage or reviews until the game was released. Well, it's out now, so here's my Review of Everything (PC)!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: April 21, 2017, 11:28:50 am »

Heh, I was wondering what that was every time steam popped up that you were playing it. Interesting concept.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #303 on: April 21, 2017, 12:41:40 pm »

Advance copies of games are awesome, but keeping your mouth shut about it until release day is very hard! :P

KoE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: April 21, 2017, 09:57:51 pm »

I just wanted to say congratulations on that Everything review - it was well done and seems to have gotten quite a bit of exposure for your channel!

For the past couple of weeks I've been scraping together the will and refining the skills to start up my own channel, and happened upon this thread just yesterday. I watched the video you made about how you do your editing and while it wasn't immediately helpful, it was a good chance to see someone else's process and something to ruminate on.

I just wanted to remark on that breakthrough because while reading up on this kinda stuff I've seen lots of folks talking about growth and how difficult and luck-based it is. After all that grousing I certainly didn't expect to personally witness someone's subscriber number doubling (or so). Here's hoping you have good luck going forward!

EDIT:

Assuming you (and/or Double Fine) don't mind my asking; How'd you get an advance copy? I was a little surprised to see you had one since your channel wasn't really going to be putting a ton of eyes on the game.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 10:14:51 pm by KoE »

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #305 on: April 22, 2017, 02:09:18 am »

Heh, yeah, I'm a little surprised by how many new subscribers that video has gotten me... And a little overwhelmed. I'm now having to moderate comments, report people making sexual posts at me because I'm a girl, decide whether to correct the people who assume I'm a little boy (who seem potentially the type of people who would give me trouble if they realized I'm female), ignore dozens of sudden friend requests on Steam, and endure idiots posting insults about my review... This was very unexpected.

Congrats for starting your own channel! Please link here when it's ready so we can check it out. :)

You get press copies of games by asking. I'm afraid I have an unfair advantage, though, because I'm actually a journalist. I am a writer and editor at an educational magazine in this country, for students learning English. It has over 175,000 subscribers, so I can use that when I write to companies asking for press copies. I wrote asking for a copy to review for my magazine and also which I would review on my YouTube channel, and they said no problem, here's a beta key, just please don't publish anything until the game is launched.

However, I've heard it's really not that hard to get press copies even for smaller channels (though how small, I honestly don't know). It probably helps to have a channel with quality content which you can show them, even if you don't have that many subscribers. Maybe do some reviews of games you've already bought, for example, to show your ability to review well. Then just write them (there's usually a "press" or "business" contact email somewhere, or if it's a tiny indie dev, just find their email address) and say look, I have this silly little YouTube channel where I review games and I'd like to review yours. I don't have too many viewers yet, but my content is quality and my viewer base is loyal and growing. Is it possible that I might get a press copy of the game to review? You might be surprised how often they say yes. If you help their game get exposure, it's worth it to give you a free copy. And if they say no, you just keep trying with different games until someone says yes.

And yeah, it's very luck-based, truly. I've been making what I consider to be high quality content for years now, with only the tiniest trickle of new subscribers. I celebrate when that number goes up by one. I did a whole music video to celebrate 100 subs. Then, thanks to my day job, I lucked into an advance copy of this game which was getting a lot of attention. I had time to play it, analyze it, and put together a thoughtful review before release, then as soon as the game was launched, I published my video and a review on Steam with a link to the video. It was the first review on Steam, the first thing people saw, and I instantly got loads of attention. Obviously it wouldn't have worked if the video wasn't any good, though. So... I guess no matter how lucky you are, you can't do well if your quality isn't good, but even if your quality is good, your chances of success are largely down to luck. Unfortunately.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: April 22, 2017, 02:33:28 am »

I would say congratulations but it sounds like most of the new commenters are assholes. :/
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Jar of Jam

• Bay Watcher
  • [ITEM_FOOD:ITEM_FOOD_JAM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: April 22, 2017, 03:56:10 am »

The prepared review style suits you well! I feel like you've hit the ball out of the park with this one :)
Any chance you'll be up for some co-op shenanigans in the near future?

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #308 on: April 22, 2017, 06:22:58 am »

I would say congratulations but it sounds like most of the new commenters are assholes. :/

Actually, most of them are really, really lovely. The overwhelming majority of comments are super kind and positive. But of course, human psychology being what it is, the bad ones stand out far more than the good ones.

The prepared review style suits you well! I feel like you've hit the ball out of the park with this one :)

Thank you! and Possibly! What games do you have in mind?

Actually, there's something I'm going to talk about on my channel soon, once I do a little research and get things started, but I'll do it here now: I think I am going to start a Patreon account. Not to earn money from my videos, really (though I do hope I will eventually be able to do that, and I do NOT want to use ads), but to pay for a Minecraft modded server for me and mom. Anyone who donates above a certain level (probably $5) would then have access to the server, and would be able to make group videos with me (and for their own channels, probably, if they want). We can't afford a server on our own (it would be Foolcraft, which needs loads of RAM, which means not a cheap server), but with just a few paying supporters we could have a server without any cost to us -
 which would lead to better and more frequent content. Would any of you guys potentially be interested in that? Does anyone have any suggestions or requests, past experiences with Patreon you think would be helpful for me to know about, or any other feedback on the idea?

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: April 22, 2017, 06:37:15 am »

Oh, is that so? That's actually a shock, Youtube comments being what they are. Well then, congratulations. ^^^
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: April 22, 2017, 08:10:17 am »

Oomph, bad internet killed my post >_>

[...]I don't have too many viewers yet, but my content is quality and my viewer base is loyal and growing. [...]
Quality indeed! I loved that you put subtitles down right there. :3 Compared to most other videos, this one being subtitled was great; the calm and tranquil feeling of the narration and voice-over was a good touch too.

I can't load the YT comments though so I hope they're doing well :D Most of the negative ones don't really require a response--It may be the widespread use of internet among very young people (so a tad bit of immaturity and a lack of consequential reasoning), but others will stand up for you given your personality and otherwise. And even then--the negative ones have a story of their own from the person writing them; people may have gone through tough times and that affects their mood and all.

Actually, most of them are really, really lovely. The overwhelming majority of comments are super kind and positive. But of course, human psychology being what it is, the bad ones stand out far more than the good ones.
This insight giving. ^ ^

Edit: Ahah, found my post!
Spoiler: Oops (click to show/hide)
The 'back' function of browsers save text and lives. \o/ I should've written more though, in hindsight.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #311 on: April 22, 2017, 08:18:29 am »

Thanks! Yeah, I wish I had the time to put subtitles on all my videos. From this point forward, I'm going to make sure I at least have them on shorter videos, like reviews, and auto-gen ones for the others. They kind of stink, but better than nothing. If I do manage to get a Patreon going, it will be: first priority - get a Minecraft Foolcraft server up and running, second priority - hire someone to subtitle ALL my videos.

I definitely don't respond to negative comments. If they're reportable, I report them (though the one I reported kept popping back up, guess Youtube has no problem with sexual harrassment), if they don't stop, I block them from the channel. I will not engage trolls or anyone trying to provoke me. Most of the comments are positive, though, which is a pleasant surprise indeed.

Jar of Jam

• Bay Watcher
  • [ITEM_FOOD:ITEM_FOOD_JAM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: April 22, 2017, 08:20:13 am »

Yay! then. :)
I was thinking Battleblock Theater, Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet or, perhaps, System Shock 2?

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: April 22, 2017, 08:33:02 am »

That's probably the best way to handle that kind of person Aira.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #314 on: April 22, 2017, 10:19:52 am »

Yay! then. :)
I was thinking Battleblock Theater, Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet or, perhaps, System Shock 2?

I am a fan of Battleblock Theater! Although I'm not very good at it. :P Never tried ITSP, and actually, never tried SS2 either, though it's been on my list for ages. Actually, I didn't realize that one was even multiplayer.

As soon as my mom is ready we're doing some Foolcraftery today, which will be fun. I have BIG PLANS for that series.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 25