Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 47

Author Topic: Blind Fate - Turn 42 (Updated 2/24)  (Read 48091 times)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
Re: Blind Fate - Turn 31 (Updated 12/21)
« Reply #495 on: December 21, 2015, 05:41:03 pm »

"Graves, what do you know about these people? How long were we in orbit that they, I guess, regressed so much? When you mentioned farming, I asked what you meant by it, not what farming is."

"I seem to have given the impression that I know a lot about our situation. But in truth, they just woke me up one day and told me to pilot shuttles in a simulation. So I can't really tell you much. All I know is that we weren't yet in orbit by the time I woke up, and there were some large engine burns about... err, a few weeks ago? I think that means we've been in orbit for about a month, if that matches up with my understanding of orbital mechanics.

But these must be colonists, right? Unless of course humans invented faster-than-light travel while we were gone, but that doesn't explain the tech regression."
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Paphi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: December 21, 2015, 06:56:53 pm »

"That Latin doctor, she mentioned some kind of apocalypse, an alien invasion - people from the stars came down and destroyed everything, or somesuch. And judging by these slug-manta things and... flying... fish... I don't know. Apparently we look superficially identical, but who knows how our guts are different.

Anyway... I want to take the assault gun and some crew to take the frenchmen to a friendly camp. I'm going to reinforce it, see if I can't fiddle with it any other way."

Inspect the assault gun. Aside from the armor, look for anything that stands out that could be improved - radio, motor, axles, transmission, etc.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: December 21, 2015, 08:37:43 pm »

There are, um... lots of things to be improved. It really looks like a junk heap, actually, albeit an armored one.

Assault gun projects (in increasing order of difficulty):

Advanced radio: Replace the ancient radio design with a modern transmitter (requires electronic parts)
Layered Armor: A piece of extra metal plating gives +1 defense to one side of the vehicle (front, back, either side). Hull plating adds +2. Both subtract -1 Evasion from the vehicle.
Alloy Armor: You can give +1 armor on one side of either vehicle by replacing a Metal Plating from the vehicle with a Hull Plating from the destroyed shuttle.
Improved Steering: Adds +1 Evasion to the vehicle, can fire while moving
Turret: Allows the vehicle to rotate its gun more than a few degrees. (requires a full redesign)

"That Latin doctor, she mentioned some kind of apocalypse, an alien invasion - people from the stars came down and destroyed everything, or somesuch. And judging by these slug-manta things and... flying... fish... I don't know. Apparently we look superficially identical, but who knows how our guts are different.

Anyway... I want to take the assault gun and some crew to take the frenchmen to a friendly camp. I'm going to reinforce it, see if I can't fiddle with it any other way."

"That sounds like some sort of New Age religion, although I guess it's true in a way. I suspect they're being led by someone who knows the truth. We should speak to their leader."
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 09:09:48 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

Paphi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: December 21, 2015, 10:39:34 pm »

Jeez, this thing is a heap. Misewell get started...

"That sounds like some sort of New Age religion, although I guess it's true in a way. I suspect they're being led by someone who knows the truth. We should speak to their leader."

"...Well, I had a bit of a hobby watching old scifi horror movies. If they aren't native, they're so primitive I'd bet they're all abducted, or descended from abductees... Ah, hell, I'll just work myself up thinking like that. I'm gonna start work on the gun if you need me."

For now, just replace the radio. See if I can't get the wrecked shuttle's equipment to work on the rig. If I need to remove some hull from the shuttle, do so in a way that leaves a useable plate rather than just cutting a small hole. Disassemble the dead man's pod for electrical parts as well, if necessary.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 11:56:19 pm by Paphi »

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: December 22, 2015, 02:57:29 am »

Noticing that cueball is inspecting the tank Nyar expresses his thoughts, "These tanks could use more modern suspensions, gyro stabilizers for the guns so we can shoot on the move, that alone would give these vehicles a massive advantage against the dated tanks we have been seeing. It would also be nice if we get an electric or turbine engine which would be a lot quieter."
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

Paphi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: December 22, 2015, 08:08:46 am »

Noticing that cueball is inspecting the tank Nyar expresses his thoughts, "These tanks could use more modern suspensions, gyro stabilizers for the guns so we can shoot on the move, that alone would give these vehicles a massive advantage against the dated tanks we have been seeing. It would also be nice if we get an electric or turbine engine which would be a lot quieter."

"I agree. But at what point is it easier to just build a new vehicle? Also, did you see how fast that turret swung when it was connected to the batteries? I get the feeling these things might just rip themselves apart if we put too much power behind them.

So, these Frenchies like democracy. I'm game for allying with them, if only to pick a side. What do you think?"

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: December 22, 2015, 10:35:53 am »

Throw the gasmask in the jackass' face. Then go away and look for something particularly explosives around the base.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

Slayer1557

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: December 22, 2015, 11:18:29 pm »

In reply to Night:
Quote from: To Night
"Yea.  It's safe.  There's some, er, foreigners, but we've got them under control."

Nole looks over the maps Cueball sent out, but wrinkled his brow in confusion.  "H-hey, Cueball.  What's up with the maps you sent?  Why's the bottom so fucked up?  And maybe you can clear up who is with who, cause maybe I'm missing something.  What, um, nation are the Frenchies with?  The Latins?  That's where we are, right?  Anyway, once we get an idea where we are going, we have to load up what we can and go.  It's hard to plan and do a lot of projects when we don't even have a working base of operations."

After speaking with Cueball, Nole pays the 'Frenchies' a visit.  "I'm sorry for the rough treatment.  Understand that we're all a little on edge, and that we want everyone to be able to go home in one piece at the end of the day.  I was hoping to ask you a few questions.  What can you tell me about this planet.  Why does everything seem in such a sorry state?  If you'd like to talk about your country, I would listen.  And, maybe a bit of an odd question.  How do you measure time here?  How long is a day?  A year?  Do you even use the same units of measurement as us?"  Ask.  Unlock "It's not Rocket Science"?  Maybe get progress on "EE 417-Intro to Digital Communications"?  ((Although my intention is mainly to ask questions, so working on the language is a lower priority.))

((Can I get a stock of what vehicles we have, it's an armored car and the "Assault Gun" which is a tank, if I'm understanding correctly?))

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: December 23, 2015, 12:25:40 am »

((Can I get a stock of what vehicles we have, it's an armored car and the "Assault Gun" which is a tank, if I'm understanding correctly?))

((Info:))
Paphi's roll contains the assault gun, and Wunder's contains the armored car.

Assault gun is just a literal translation of 'sturmgeschütz'. It's basically a turretless tank with a fixed-forward gun. The soviets also built their own kinds.

Armored cars have wheels instead of treads. That's really the main distinction. The Latin AC is based on the British AEC, having an oversized gun, but the fictional one is actually much larger than any historical armored car including the AEC, as it has a pyramidal shell of armor as well as oversized wheels.

In reply to Night:
Quote from: To Night
"Yea.  It's safe.  There's some, er, foreigners, but we've got them under control."

After speaking with Cueball, Nole pays the 'Frenchies' a visit.  "I'm sorry for the rough treatment.  Understand that we're all a little on edge, and that we want everyone to be able to go home in one piece at the end of the day.  I was hoping to ask you a few questions.  What can you tell me about this planet.  Why does everything seem in such a sorry state?  If you'd like to talk about your country, I would listen.  And, maybe a bit of an odd question.  How do you measure time here?  How long is a day?  A year?  Do you even use the same units of measurement as us?"  Ask.  Unlock "It's not Rocket Science"?  Maybe get progress on "EE 417-Intro to Digital Communications"?

The frenchmen seem to have this blank, almost expressionless look on their faces.

It's almost like they don't understand what you're telling them.

"They don't understand what you're telling them," says one of them. "But I do. And I fear the crew and myself may have gotten ourselves into more than we'd asked for, so what's the harm in explaining things, eh?"
He sits down on an empty footlocker inside the shuttle, and begins to monologue.

"This 'planet' is just called Origin in English. It's just where we originated from. Is that not true? Are you not from Origin? But I do agree, things are pretty messed up here. Everyone in our government is all hooped up about 'freedom' and 'liberty,' and it's getting Frankia into tons of pointless wars..."
He whispers that last part while staring intently at the frenchman in the aristocratic blue uniform.

The day is twenty-four hours, which are sixty minutes of sixty seconds each in our time. We just measure them by the passing of the sun. Of course, you have to get to the highlands since you can't see the sun down here... We use 'seconds,' 'meters,' and 'grams'. How long is your meter? This is ours." He holds his arms about a meter apart.

Slayer1557

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: December 23, 2015, 01:32:05 am »

The day is twenty-four hours, which are sixty minutes of sixty seconds each in our time. We just measure them by the passing of the sun. Of course, you have to get to the highlands since you can't see the sun down here... We use 'seconds,' 'meters,' and 'grams'. How long is your meter? This is ours." He holds his arms about a meter apart.
Nole looks a bit surprised.  "Strange.  That's what we use.  And let me guess, your years are 365 days, too?  But, how is that possible?  That Origin has the same orbit and rotation as our old home?  Something is amiss, and I can't quite put my finger on it.  We are from another world, but that's in the past.  There is no returning and, live or die, we are here to stay."

"I'm sorry to hear of your troubles.  I can only hope that our presence here will improve the situation.  But you know how politics go.  Heh.  My name is Marcus Noehl, or just Nole." He offers a gloved hand out to shake with the man.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 01:40:57 am by Slayer1557 »

Paphi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: December 23, 2015, 01:53:48 am »

"H-hey, Cueball.  What's up with the maps you sent?  Why's the bottom so fucked up?  And maybe you can clear up who is with who, cause maybe I'm missing something.  What, um, nation are the Frenchies with?  The Latins?  That's where we are, right?  Anyway, once we get an idea where we are going, we have to load up what we can and go.  It's hard to plan and do a lot of projects when we don't even have a working base of operations."

"Uh, let's see... that green bit there, that's... the Latins, they call themselves. These Frenchies belong to The Reich on this map, light blue, but they call themselves Franks. No clue about the rest other than the French seem to have invented the modern democracy again and all the monarchies hate them for it. Again.

Is it just me or is this kind of eerie?

But, as far as plans go, I was banking on rigging a cargo sled, salvaging what we could, and hauling and flying our stuff to a better base. Possibly with the French, ideally with other survivors.

I have no clue what the "chasm" is about."

As Nole walks to the shuttle, inform him of the Burning of Origin and the number of aeons. Maybe the French will know something about that.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: December 23, 2015, 02:42:57 am »

Nole looks a bit surprised.  "Strange.  That's what we use.  And let me guess, your years are 365 days, too?  But, how is that possible?  That Origin has the same orbit and rotation as our old home?  Something is amiss, and I can't quite put my finger on it.  We are from another world, but that's in the past.  There is no returning and, live or die, we are here to stay."

"Yes, you have it correct, that is very odd indeed... in all honesty, I had thought you'd come from the Chasm. We don't know much about it. Just a big sea of clouds with nowhere to land. I believe the Romans sent some suicidal flights into the clouds. None returned... as expected."

The man shakes your hand as well.

"I have no clue what the "chasm" is about."

As Nole walks to the shuttle, inform him of the Burning of Origin and the number of aeons. Maybe the French will know something about that.

[6] The blue-coated aristocratic fellow overhears and swoops in to answer.
"Ah, Frankish historians divide history into six Eras. The first was the era before writing, as writing is enough of a revolution in and of itself. And of course, the development of democracy would never have been possible without writing!

The second era was the era of a great empire which spanned half the known world, but due to their outdated monarchistic principles of government, the empire fell apart.

The third era was the era of fallout. For two-thousand years, mankind reorganized himself, slowly perfecting the principles of representative government and universal suffrage, culminating in the fourth era which was to come.

The fourth era was that of liberty and freedom. All men had the right to vote. It was a glorious afternoon for man. But soon all fell into a great and terrible war, rendering many nations unable to resist the urges of monarchy. Tyranny reigned once more.

This brings us to the fifth era, an era in which mankind lay shattered, but not fully broken. They hung on until this Burning of Origin of which you speak, which led to the sixth era which we live in today. Many of our kind still live under oppressive regimes; it is our duty to restore mankind to what was once before."
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 06:29:24 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

Paphi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: December 23, 2015, 11:16:35 pm »

"I see.

I may have been a bit protective of our things, and I just want to clear up some stuff: you're less in a prison and more in a daycare. I don't want you fellas touching stuff that might kill ya. There's a lot of gear here that can mess you up in a heartbeat. Also, it's just bad form to give high tech to low civilization. If you agree not to touch anything without supervision, you guys can wander around, whatever. I just don't anyone to die, whether it's by you guys blowing something up by accident or beating someone to death with a shovel, or calling in an airstrike or something. Understand?

I have trouble getting my ideas across, and it tends to go bad eventually. That, and we sort of met on bad terms. But maybe we can all work together or something, I don't know. Deal?"

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: December 23, 2015, 11:25:30 pm »

With sudden ferocity Nyar disarms Nole of his spade. "ARRRAGFGGHH"
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: December 24, 2015, 03:34:34 am »

1825 GREENHEART TIME, MAY 21st, 301 P.L
ERROR: FAILED TO CONNECT TO INTERNET TIME SERVER.

Arthur Staunch (Megggas):

Check my inventory for anything I can use as a distraction while I escape.  If I have nothing, look for a place to hide.

[5-new miniquest] You dive onto the ground. Although the terrain is mostly smooth, you sink in a little bit, and you can't see your pursuers. Logic dictates that they can't see you either, especially if they're using the old code that only does a raycheck from your center of mass. Even if you're poking out slightly, you should be invisible to NPC's.

[4] You also get to work crafting a dummy out of the chrome rod and the shrapnel piece. It should hopefully look just like you from a distance. Maybe they'll shoot at it. You hold it up.
[1] It gets shot.

Fortunately, since you are on the ground, you manage to crawl a couple dozen meters from the dummy. Now there is a small dune in the way, so you can stand up again without being seen.

Weather: Cloudy (No bonuses or penalties to stealth)

Spoiler: Status,Traits,Invntory (click to show/hide)

Ciri (Twinwolf):

"Alright."
Recon. Get reasonably high.

[5-new Miniquest] You fly the drone up and up and up, eventually getting past the bed of clouds over the floodplain, but the new space, though relatively clear, is still shrouded by another layer of clouds far above. Since you're already high enough to see the landscape, this is as high as you go ((this turn)).

You identify a number of arches and strange ridged rock formations that look almost like potato chips stacked together. Somehow it's all standing even in standard gravity, even though it doesn't look like it should be standing.
There is an archway right above your landing site. There is one part where it looks like a piece has collapsed, and there are scorch marks and pieces of ceramic heatplates scattered about on the ground.

In the distance (the air is much clearer), you spot a giant tower tilted at about a 10° angle from the horizon. It is shaped like a giant terraced cone and made of some black material. The top contains an odd structure suspended on a trio of pylons, appearling much like a dark blue crystal that is extremely narrow and tall.

Base Status

Cargo Sled: Requires about 4 units of metal plating.
Jail: Requires some kind of lock, and 1 unit of metal plating per side.
Upgrade a Vehicle: You can give +1 armor on one side of either vehicle by replacing a Metal Plating from the vehicle with a Hull Plating from the destroyed shuttle.

The shuttle can be salvaged for: 4 Hull Plating from the cockpit, 10 Hull Plating from the body
The Armored car can be salvaged for: 6 Metal Plating
The Assault Gun can be salvaged for: 8 Metal Plating

The Thermal Lance can be used to cut metal plating and hull plating
You find one welding kit in the Assault Gun

You have 6 Hull Plating

Nole (Slayer1557):

Quote from: To Nole
"Ah, so friendly NPC's. Great! Do you know what these guys drop? I bet we can take them all out while they're distracted."
[/quote]

To learn French, you'll probably want to find a dictionary somewhere, or ask one of the two English speakers to tutor you. The one with the white suit says he is a bad teacher, while the aristocratic one states he would be pleased to teach you the superior tongue.

You have 10 red fish, 1 cooked
You have 6 green fish, 0.8 cooked
You have .9 cooked sand slug

Cueball (Paphi):
"Great! So now that we have been elevated above the position of prisoner, it is time for us to name ourselves, yes? I am Bernard L'Aquilis, 5th Officer of the Shadowcorp. Assault Squadron"
"I am Jean'e d'Alembert, or just John."
The names of the others are Bovard, Albert, Christophe, and Pierre.

Jeez, this thing is a heap. Misewell get started...

"...Well, I had a bit of a hobby watching old scifi horror movies. If they aren't native, they're so primitive I'd bet they're all abducted, or descended from abductees... Ah, hell, I'll just work myself up thinking like that. I'm gonna start work on the gun if you need me."

For now, just replace the radio. See if I can't get the wrecked shuttle's equipment to work on the rig. If I need to remove some hull from the shuttle, do so in a way that leaves a useable plate rather than just cutting a small hole. Disassemble the dead man's pod for electrical parts as well, if necessary.

[2+1] The dead man's pod provides a wealth of high-energy parts which you use to build a rudimentary radio. Combinind that with the already-available speaker and microphone, you manage to increase the gain of the radio and allow the shuttle to locate the assault gun. It now appears on everyone's HUD.

Graves notices the body as you're moving the extra pod around.
"Wait a minute... I recognize that face, I think. Is it--"
His eyes widen, as you can see through his goggles.

"NIGHTHAWK!" he screams.

He rushes over to the body leans over it.
"Man! Those bastards... when they moved his pod they must have misconnected the power or something..."
He stands up.
"So it's my fault. It really is my fault. I got my friend killed because I wanted to be able to talk to him. Fuck me."

Renouille A41 Cruise Gun
Current Armor: +2
Current weapon: Turretless 76mm G3 Weapon (Accuracy: 4far/3mid/1close)
Ammunition:
10x High Explosive (Power: 3) (Can hit multiple infantry)
22x High Velocity (Power: 4)

Nyar Donovon (WunderKatze):

With sudden ferocity Nyar disarms Nole of his spade. "ARRRAGFGGHH"

[6-1] You rush at Nole, (4) tearing the spade from his grip. However, you damage the spade in the process, causing it to bend. It is now a hoe.

+1 Hoe (-1 shovels for Nole)

Armored Car
Current Armor: +2
Current weapon: 60mm Mark III Gun (Accuracy: 4close/3mid/2far)
Ammunition:
4x High Explosive (Power: 3) (Can hit multiple infantry)
7x High Velocity (Power: 4)
2x HEAT (Power: 5)

S. D. "Smooth" McGroove (SaberToothTiger):

Throw the gasmask in the jackass' face. Then go away and look for something particularly explosives around the base.

[3] You toss the mask lightly in Nyar's general direction. (1) It lands on his face, obscuring his vision for a bit (-1 to his action).

Then, searching, you note what's explosive and what's not:
>Shuttle G2's Liquid Hydrogen/Oxygen tanks should be explosive if you cause them to leak
>The fuel in the armored car and assautl gun will probably just catch fire, not explode
>The shells in both vehicles' ammo racks are, on the other hand, much more explosive
>[3+1] You find a scorched canister in the ground abotu the size of a food can. It is labelled, in etched letters: 'EMP'

« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 04:15:15 am by _DivideByZero_ »
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 47