Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: 9/11 thread  (Read 6075 times)

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
Re: 9/11 thread
« Reply #60 on: September 11, 2015, 06:35:38 pm »

9/11 where I am is also known as Canada day, where instead of hanging over the attack itself, we remember and thank Canada for taking in all those inbound planes and taking care of the passengers.

Love you Canada.
Canada has 2 days. :3
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 11, 2015, 06:38:07 pm »

But when will I ever get another opportunity to look like an Cool Aloof Liberal on the internet? I'll have to wait until the next Superbowl.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2015, 06:38:24 pm »

The U.S. is like a person from a super-rich isolated high-class family with a secret abuse fetish: they basically never get hit, so on the rare occasion when they do they overreact massively and then spend the next thirty years secretly masturbating to the memory of it.
I take it you don't like remembrance
I like remembrance. I pay a moment or ten of silent respect and regret for dead civilians, first responders, and soldiers.

I utterly detest politically-driven top-down mandated rally-around-the-flag patriotic drivel. I loathe the scum that use things like this to further their own careers and agendas, and the bigoted assholes who use it to excuse their hatred. In my city, today, during the city government's ceremony for 9/11, an employee brought out on a flatbed truck a steel beam he owned which had been recovered from Ground Zero (add literal tasteless fetishism to that checklist), and then people, grown-ass adults, clustered around to take selfies with it.

You can stop putting words in my mouth, thanks.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Urist Targaryen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 11, 2015, 06:41:08 pm »

Three thousand people were killed fourteen years ago, in the worst terrorist attack on American soil. Almost ten thousand were injured. More then a thousand first responders have WTC-related cancer.
Four thousand Americans lost their lives away from home because we thought three thousand was a big number.

Around a hundred and fifty thousand Iraqi civilians similarly paid for this perception. The worst terrorist attack on American soil is dwarfed fifty fold by the worst American attack on Iraqi soil.

It's all just soil, and people's lives. We're all upset with this day not because we think that the 9/11 attacks were okay, but because we think that what followed afterwards was atrocious, and the way this day is remembered only fuels rhetoric that suggests that the loss of those subsequent hundred and fifty thousand was in any way at all acceptable.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 11, 2015, 06:50:49 pm »

I liked the army sergeant's directness but I don't know how much of the "we kicked their butts" is really true. Then again I wasn't there so I should shut up their. I agree that we should try to forget and move on but I know that people like this army sergeant exist and need to be helped. I guess in a way sharing in the pain a bit is how I thought I could help but logically that's flawed.

It's quite possible to actual "kick butts"... but your entire butt-kicking is misguided. Read about Camp Bucca, where the US Army concentrated all the radicals together. 9 of the top ISIS commanders met in that camp: http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2014/11/04/how-an-american-prison-helped-ignite-the-islamic-state/

Also, Bush's administration did a purge of the Iraq government at all levels from local to federal of any ex-party members. But Iraq was a one-party state and virtually anyone with a professional job or education joined the party because it helps your career. Imagine what that would be like if you tried it in America. Say you overturn the government, and you say anyone who'd ever been a registered Democrat or Republican can't have any role in your new government, from the lowliest of local officials all the way up to the President. And that ban is for life. You lose a lot of talent, you end up scraping the bottom of the barrel to find people to run things, and you create a huge amount of unnecessary enemies of the educated class of the country. The same middle-class you really need to have on the side of reconstruction. This was a big mistake and very different to how the USA normally does things. THe USA did not purge Japan or even Germany in a similar fashion. In Germany, a schoolteacher would very likely be a card-carrying member of the NAZI party. Not because they love Hitler, but because it's what you need to do to hold down a job (and not get conscripted for the infantry).

So, Bush kicked out not just the top leaders but the entire chain of command down to the street-sweepers more or less. And it's not like they put anyone decent in charge. This guy was hand-picked by the Bush administration to run the department of defense:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hazim_al-Shaalan
He had no miltary knowledge, no government experience, but he was an informer for the CIA, so the appointment was all about who he knew, not what he knew. He filled the defense department with his cronies, and they ended up stealing $9 billion out of the $12 billion Iraq defense budget. Which might partly explain the lack of gear and training of the Iraq forces.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 11, 2015, 06:51:08 pm »

Everybody arguing about the date format should probably take a look at today's XKCD.
xkcd does not always produce consistent messages.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #66 on: September 11, 2015, 06:54:17 pm »

The U.S. is like a person from a super-rich isolated high-class family with a secret abuse fetish: they basically never get hit, so on the rare occasion when they do they overreact massively and then spend the next thirty years secretly masturbating to the memory of it.
I take it you don't like remembrance
I like remembrance. I pay a moment or ten of silent respect and regret for dead civilians, first responders, and soldiers.

I utterly detest politically-driven top-down mandated rally-around-the-flag patriotic drivel. I loathe the scum that use things like this to further their own careers and agendas, and the bigoted assholes who use it to excuse their hatred. In my city, today, during the city government's ceremony for 9/11, an employee brought out on a flatbed truck a steel beam he owned which had been recovered from Ground Zero (add literal tasteless fetishism to that checklist), and then people, grown-ass adults, clustered around to take selfies with it.
You can stop putting words in my mouth, thanks.
I've put no words in anyone's mouths; two posts there give different impressions

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 11, 2015, 06:55:35 pm »

Everybody arguing about the date format should probably take a look at today's XKCD.
To be fair, these were two different contexts. One was dating, the other was language itself.

That said, I feel like the comic has recently been embracing the "pretentious asshole comic for pretentious assholes" reputation it's garnered in recent times.
I'm not reading your reply. Knowing B12, it'll make me want to stab you through the internet.
I know you're not reading this, but it's important to keep in mind whether you want to stab us because you think we're wrong and you disagree or if you want to stab us because you think we're right and you disagree.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 11, 2015, 07:14:14 pm »

Let us know what the results are.

Also, did you explain to him why you feel the way you do? Did you explain what you meant by your response? If he's asked to justify your opinion against people of the "Murica' Fuck yeah!" persuasion, that might not be easy for a 5th grader to do.

I should have coached him on the background of my statement and potential trouble.  But I was exhausted and annoyed at the school for presenting me with this question and bringing this B.S. into my kid's education, so I approached the situation flippantly as a result.

Apparently his teacher collected the answers, read them, and did absolutely nothing with them.  I'm guessing it's because he found the answers inappropriate for class?  If so, not sure what he was expecting.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 07:15:47 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 11, 2015, 07:16:00 pm »

Huh, I got a massive déjà vu from that comic... is Randall starting to recycle his material?

...No, I was probably thinking of a Penny Arcade from 2001 or whatever.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 11, 2015, 08:37:54 pm »

To be fair, these were two different contexts. One was dating, the other was language itself.

That said, I feel like the comic has recently been embracing the "pretentious asshole comic for pretentious assholes" reputation it's garnered in recent times.

After reading through a bunch of the more recent ones... yeah, I can see that pretty clearly.
It's a shame, really. I got hours of entertainment out of hitting the Random button and seeing what showed up. A lot of the old ones are still pretty good; the classics remain classic.

...I'll just excuse myself and avoid the derailing.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 11, 2015, 08:57:54 pm »

...it looks like the same predictably unpredictable, graph laden comic with two recurring characters that I've been reading for years?

Edit: oh hell I didn't realize which thread I was in, now this is in my unread posts list
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 11, 2015, 09:02:48 pm »

I also haven't noticed it change too much over the time I've been reading it, which has been... some length of time.
Oh and fuck your dreary 9/11 topic! this XKCD thread now! :P

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 11, 2015, 09:03:27 pm »

...it looks like the same predictably unpredictable, graph laden comic with two recurring characters that I've been reading for years?

Edit: oh hell I didn't realize which thread I was in, now this is in my unread posts list
The difference I've noticed is that recently he's been putting in way more boringly long comics that make a vague point that nobody cares about instead of a joke. The fact that the jokes were typically hit-and-miss in the first place (but hit right on the mark when they did) compounds the issue.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 11, 2015, 09:17:57 pm »

The difference I've noticed is that recently he's been putting in way more boringly long comics that make a vague point that nobody cares about instead of a joke. The fact that the jokes were typically hit-and-miss in the first place (but hit right on the mark when they did) compounds the issue.
How far back are you going?  I spammed the back button for a bit and got two big ones but they didn't have that much text they just had a large image, and one comic that fits the description you gave.  Said comic was the most recent one, none of the others were like that.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7