Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: 9/11 thread  (Read 6068 times)

Urist Targaryen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 9/11 thread
« Reply #90 on: September 12, 2015, 11:00:15 pm »

You are obviously not thinking deeply enough. Charlemagne wouldn't have formed the Holy Roman Empire if the regular Roman Empire didn't collapse. And why did the Roman Empire collapse? Because it was attacked by foreign barbarians terrorists during a period of internal destability. Thus terrorism caused 9/11. Checkmate, atheists.
Recently heard an argument that the fall of the Roman Empire was mostly related to disease. Without the Justinian plague, Rome would never have been reduced to the point where a few barbarians could walk in and claim the place. Y. pestis is actually responsible for 9/11.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 12, 2015, 11:12:49 pm »

You are obviously not thinking deeply enough. Charlemagne wouldn't have formed the Holy Roman Empire if the regular Roman Empire didn't collapse. And why did the Roman Empire collapse? Because it was attacked by foreign barbarians terrorists during a period of internal destability. Thus terrorism caused 9/11. Checkmate, atheists.
Recently heard an argument that the fall of the Roman Empire was mostly related to disease. Without the Justinian plague, Rome would never have been reduced to the point where a few barbarians could walk in and claim the place. Y. pestis is actually responsible for 9/11.
And thus God/evolution was to blame. Checkmate, atheists and/or theists.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 11:14:22 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 13, 2015, 01:06:22 am »

The Frankish kingdom already ruled France before Justinian was born and long before the plague...

Rome lost control of the west because Majorian was betrayed by the Senate.  And why did they want him dead?  Because he was a christian and they were pagans.  Checkmate secular pagan infidels.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 01:08:06 am by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 13, 2015, 01:36:44 am »

god fucking dammit cain
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 13, 2015, 03:18:42 am »

The fall of the Roman Empire was one of those things where the reason it fell basically comes down to all sorts of different shit all hitting the fan at once. No one thing could really be said to have "caused" the fall of the Roman empire, it was only through the combination of several of them hitting it together that they managed to topple it.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 13, 2015, 04:23:38 am »

...honestly I'd forgotten all about it. I probably won't remember it tomorrow.
Sure it was a bad thing that all those people died and those buildings got wrecked, but ... it was 14 years ago. There's a memorial in New York. Not to be blunt, but I don't see why such a big deal's made out of it. For those who had family or friends there I can understand that it was a traumatic event and such, but for it to be all over the news and the internet... I dunno. I never see any other violent attack brought up without fail every year. Columbine, any of the various subway bombings, I'm pretty sure there was a thing in Japan where some guy put toxic gas in the whole system and killed a few thousand people, or if you want to give extreme examples Hiroshima/Nagasaki, though for all I know they're memorialized on a day in Japan.
People die in terrorist attacks and stuff all the time. Dunno why this one's made such a big deal of.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 13, 2015, 09:35:08 am »

They did commemorate Hiroshima in the USA:

http://conelrad.blogspot.com.au/2010/09/atomic-cake-controversy-of-1946.html

The above was actually an official US armed forces get-together to commemorate the bombing with a festive cake.

Being a bit meh about 9/11 remembrance isn't on the same level as jumping up and down and baking happy-twin-towers-day cakes.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 10:17:41 am by Reelya »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 13, 2015, 09:45:14 am »

A couple month ago we did have a 9/11 celebration party, but it was mostly because we just happened to have two of those laying around.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 13, 2015, 10:06:25 am »

What kind of cake was it? And how did they get it in that shape? Is there a recipe?
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 13, 2015, 10:09:08 am »

Usually that sort of construction in confectioneries takes wiring and/or cardboard (/plastic/etc.) as support, iirc. Similar methodology to getting hair to stand up straight and/or in odd shapes. It's not really terribly difficult, it's just unlikely all of the cloud was edible.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 13, 2015, 10:14:23 am »

Tissue paper gets the best effect when making clouds.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 13, 2015, 10:23:33 am »

*snip*

...and 2 milliseconds later these people were vaporized by a shockwave of superheated cream.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]