Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10

Author Topic: Monster Guild IC  (Read 9330 times)

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
    • Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod
Re: Monster Guild IC
« Reply #75 on: September 13, 2015, 02:18:01 pm »

Flabort sets the training setting to speed, figuring that one of the key advantages to cornering a monster would be moving faster than it. He also turns off any monster illusions on the room. When the door unlocks, he motions Moe to enter, and then follows.

The room's walls are painted to look like an impressive sea cliff view. The actual floor of the room is only a thin platform leading up to a treadmill in the center. The rest seems to be a chasm with water at the bottom. You and Moe get on the treadmill and it starts running. At first it is a light jog, but it gets progressively harder. You have to run furiously to avoid being thrown into the chasm. It's intensely motivating.

Stretching, and then realizing that she is covered in sweat, Callista goes to find the showers.

You go back to your dorm to shower. At first the water is freezing, but it soon warms up to a good temperature. It seems that all the heating in this place comes from that single fire slime. After your shower you realize you have about an hour before lights out.

Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 13, 2015, 02:19:47 pm »

Go to the library, read up on that final boss giant monster from before.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 13, 2015, 02:25:38 pm »

((Do we PM further book research?))
thincake

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 13, 2015, 02:30:08 pm »

((Do we PM further book research?))

((You can or you can post it here. Book info is done by PM because your reading it. If it was read aloud it would be in the thread.))

Go to the library, read up on that final boss giant monster from before.

You enter the library and ask Jeremy about a book on the monster from before. Ah, you're not the first to come ask me about the Snow Fury this evening. I see that it gave you all quite a good scare, is a final boss Legend Class monster after all. I'll tell you what I told Berius then. Ahem. The Snow Fury is a legendary class monster. There are less than a dozen recorded legendary monsters that have been discovered. The Max Slime is the most well documented, in fact its really the only one thats been well documented. There is a lot of religious writings concerning the Snow Fury however. The legend goes that it was hand crafted by a goddess to stop a vast fire from engulfing the world. Another monster named Gargitius, who is depicted as a giant composed of fire and magma, was burning the world to a crisp. The story goes that Gargitius rose from the volcano at the southern end of the continent and walked north. In his wake the vast southern desert was formed. The goddess, fearing that the world would catch fire and burn down, created the Snow Fury to combat Gargitius. The Snow Fury descended south, and after a long battle it defeated Gargitius. However, it didn't stop there. With nothing to keep it in check and it declared war, so to speak, on warmth and heat. It froze half the world in, what would have been an eternal winter. However, the goddess who created it feared that even she would be frozen along with the world. In an act of desperation she used most of her divine energy to encase the beast in its own ice. The world was so cold that it seemed like the ice would never melt, but after centuries the world warmed and the ice melted. Now the weakened Snow Fury seeks to regain its strength and once again freeze the world. That's the legend. As far as I can tell, it is a legendary class monster with some beast and some dragon aspects. It likely has at least one breath attack in addition to being immensely strong physically. In addition it probably has a high fire resistance, seeing as it took down another Legendary Class monster of the fire type. That's about it, it's one of the strongest monsters ever documented, and its consumed by a great desire to freeze the world solid.
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 13, 2015, 02:48:20 pm »

"Hah, nothing like a run to feel alive, right Moe?" Flabort asks. He gets off his treadmill early, though, and sits beside it gasping while encouraging Moe to run. After about two hours, he shuts down the treadmills and brings Moe back to Moe's room to brush out Moe's fur. "That big monster earlier was sure scary, Moe. We'd be heroes if we could take it down, wouldn't we," he says while carefully grooming his monster. When he is done, he goes to find some guild mates to discuss getting stronger to fight that thing and maybe spar a bit. Since he shares a room with Scapheap, he goes and seeks him out first.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 13, 2015, 02:58:14 pm »

As she reads, Felicia continues toying with the puzzle.
thincake

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 13, 2015, 03:50:26 pm »

"Ameeshu spoke to me, Jeremy. She gave Flare the knowledge and ability to stop it's howling winds and freezing cold. I suppose that means it's breath attack. I need to talk to the Overseer when he returns. Maybe if we confront it with powerful monsters in its weakened state, we can stop it." Beirus says aloud, not caring that another person has shown up. They might as well know.
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Leonardo8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 13, 2015, 03:54:37 pm »

Back to the guild, Leonardo decided to make a visit to Jeremy. He was fascinated by that man, the first mage he ever saw. There were so many questions he wanted to ask him, and, even better, Jeremy seemed the kind of guy who enjoyed a long talk. Leonardocaught him just when he was talking to another student about thee monster they saw today, who was apparently called "Snow fury". When Jeremy finished speaking, Leonardo approached him Hi. You are the guild's mage right? Please, i need your help for some informations. I would like to know more about the growth of a monster, how they become more powerful in time. I am especially curious about the the avian monster, like my Auror.Also i am very  curious about magic: it is something you have learned or were you born with it? And if you learned it, it would be possible for me to learn it as well?  He looked at him with the hope and excitement of a child, hoping to not scare him away with all his questions. He knew he might have been rude, but the curiosity was too much.

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 13, 2015, 04:01:16 pm »

Felicia snaps her book shut and approaches the librarian.
[colour=gray]"Can we...  take books out?"
thincake

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 13, 2015, 04:26:35 pm »

"Ameeshu spoke to me, Jeremy. She gave Flare the knowledge and ability to stop it's howling winds and freezing cold. I suppose that means it's breath attack. I need to talk to the Overseer when he returns. Maybe if we confront it with powerful monsters in its weakened state, we can stop it." Beirus says aloud, not caring that another person has shown up. They might as well know.

Jeremy inspects Flare. Indeed, there is definable evidence of a holy blessing on Flare. As far as fighting the Snow Fury, even the combined strength of the guild couldn't do that. It's a legendary class monster, which means its power level is in the hundreds, you new recruits have a power level of about two. Even if Flare could stop its breath attacks, which it seem like anti-breath can only absorb one every few seconds, it's size and strength gives it an incredible advantage over us.  At this point in history, the Snow Fury is comparatively weak due to its long captivity. It has been out for a decade and It will be over a century before it is capable of moving southward. However, it is one of the reasons why this guild hall has been located here. It will be dealt with, but not for at least a while.

Back to the guild, Leonardo decided to make a visit to Jeremy. He was fascinated by that man, the first mage he ever saw. There were so many questions he wanted to ask him, and, even better, Jeremy seemed the kind of guy who enjoyed a long talk. Leonardocaught him just when he was talking to another student about thee monster they saw today, who was apparently called "Snow fury". When Jeremy finished speaking, Leonardo approached him Hi. You are the guild's mage right? Please, i need your help for some informations. I would like to know more about the growth of a monster, how they become more powerful in time. I am especially curious about the the avian monster, like my Auror.Also i am very  curious about magic: it is something you have learned or were you born with it? And if you learned it, it would be possible for me to learn it as well?  He looked at him with the hope and excitement of a child, hoping to not scare him away with all his questions. He knew he might have been rude, but the curiosity was too much.

You have come to the right place if you have technical questions about monsters. The cook, is more antiquated with monsters, but I know much more theory about them. To answer your first questions, monsters grow in strength as they defeat other monsters. Defeating a monster releases some of its energy and causes the winning monster to gain what we call "XP." Monsters generate small levels of XP over time, but the fastest way to get a monster to develop and become more powerful is through hunting other monsters. I could get you a book on avian monsters if you'd like.
As for magic, humans are capable of using magic, but learning how to use it is a long process. It is possible for you to learn a spell or two with proper training. However, magic is incredibly dangerous and has been known to kill more of it's "masters" than it's masters targets.

Felicia snaps her book shut and approaches the librarian.
[colour=gray]"Can we...  take books out?"

Indeed you can. But please only one book at a time.

"Hah, nothing like a run to feel alive, right Moe?" Flabort asks. He gets off his treadmill early, though, and sits beside it gasping while encouraging Moe to run. After about two hours, he shuts down the treadmills and brings Moe back to Moe's room to brush out Moe's fur. "That big monster earlier was sure scary, Moe. We'd be heroes if we could take it down, wouldn't we," he says while carefully grooming his monster. When he is done, he goes to find some guild mates to discuss getting stronger to fight that thing and maybe spar a bit. Since he shares a room with Scapheap, he goes and seeks him out first.

It seems Scrapheap is nowhere to be found, as you look, you hear several people in the library.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 13, 2015, 04:53:07 pm »

Flabort looks into the library.
"Hey there, I was thinking about that encounter with that big thing at the ruins, and I thought I'd ask around for a sparing partner or two so that we can get stronger to take that thing down. Maybe get our monsters involved so that they get stronger too."
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Leonardo8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 13, 2015, 05:11:26 pm »

Dangerous but powerful.. i like it! When i' ll gain sufficient experience as a monster master, i think i'll try to learn some. Thank you for the book Jeremy, you have been very helpful. Then leonardo retreats in his rom, to read his book in peace.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 13, 2015, 05:14:41 pm »

"It's called the Snow Fury. And I'm in for training. In a few moments, at least." Beirus says to Flabort before turning back to Jeremy. "What of its insides, Jeremy? Flare is small. Maybe hecould get inside it and suck away it's air with Anti-Breath, or burn it with Fire Breath."
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 13, 2015, 05:38:38 pm »

"It's called the Snow Fury. And I'm in for training. In a few moments, at least." Beirus says to Flabort before turning back to Jeremy. "What of its insides, Jeremy? Flare is small. Maybe hecould get inside it and suck away it's air with Anti-Breath, or burn it with Fire Breath."

Jeremy looks quite grave. That is a very risky plan indeed. While I admire your creativity, I don't think it would work well. Anti-breath works by absorbing a breath spell after it has been cast. While it is possible that from inside you may be able to stop it's breath momentarily, but the effect has a short cooldown in which the monster could breathe, if only for a second or two. Even if you could cause it to suffocate, that would cause its lungs to implode around Flare. Flare would not make it out of the dead beast before he too asphyxiated.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 13, 2015, 06:14:46 pm »

After your few hours of training and reading, lights out is called. The torches go out one by on as the Fire Slime goes to sleep. It seems his power keeps the entire place lit and warm.

When dawn comes and you filter into the mess hall for bacon and eggs, Rigel makes several announcements. I have taken the liberty of posting several missions on the mission board. You all have seen a legendary monster, so you know where that there are great beasts lurking out there. However, there's a reason these monsters exist. Because they are stronger than anything else around. The Dark Zingrip, another legendary monster, had a kill count in the thousands. It destroyed villages and castles alike, and brought the destruction of an entire kingdom. And it was only the offensive for three days before it was stopped by the only tamed Legend class monster. See what I'm getting at here? One day this guild will take it on, but not for a good while. As a result, the ruins you visited are now off-limits due to being incredibly dangerous. Now we know where it is, and we can avoid it. As you may have noticed, the Overseer hasn't returned. Without him, we will need to bolster our defenses against a possible attack from the goblin tribes. Hestol has been called the goblin slayer for longer than you have been alive, so don't worry about him. Its us we need to worry about for now. Please sign up on the board for one of the mission slots. Anyone who doesn't will automatically have half a day of free time, and kitchen cleaning duty, which is probably the most rigorous training a man could ask for. He chuckles a little bit. OK folks, that's all. I'll be in my normal spot if you have questions about the missions.

Mission board

Hunting for Dinner: We're running low on supplies. I need someone to go out and bring us back a few kills for dinner. Four spots (each player and each monster each count as a spot, so if you take your monster, that's two spots) available.

Kill some goblins: Its all in the name. I need a group to go out and kill 15 goblins. Six spots.

Fetch supplies: I need someone to go down to town and bring back a few crates of supplies. Two spots.

Fetch Holy Water: Pastor Gregory needs someone to collect holy water from a blessed spring down south. Six spots.

Chores: There are several chores around here that need doing. Two spots.

Research: Jeremy needed something for some research. Four spots.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10