Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 43

Author Topic: Dominions 4 Round 17: Very Bad Things (Hashed NationGen) - Done  (Read 47950 times)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4 Round 17: Very Bad Things (Hashed NationGen) - Game underway
« Reply #225 on: September 18, 2015, 06:25:20 pm »

Why ally with your main rival when you could ally with a lesser rival?  That way when the betrayal comes (there can only be one winner), your former ally isn't an unstoppable juggernaut.
fuck...he KNOWS

Well looks like Palazzo is gonna be the first to get himself a throne.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 04:45:49 pm by BFEL »
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: September 19, 2015, 07:04:45 pm »

Why ally with your main rival when you could ally with a lesser rival?  That way when the betrayal comes (there can only be one winner), your former ally isn't an unstoppable juggernaut.
fuck...he KNOWS

Well looks like Palazzo is gonna be the first to get himself a throne.

You should probably all just gang up on Palazzo now.  :P
Just kidding, just kidding.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: September 19, 2015, 07:20:23 pm »

Note: diplomacy via limerick is hard.

Please advise if you need OOC clarification.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 07:25:16 pm by BFEL »

Indeed, I do this.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: September 19, 2015, 08:53:47 pm »

I'm gonna go ahead and push 12h in good faith that IWIWS will, as per their prior statements, get their turn in as soon as they're physically able so I can avoid being shackled to an Internet connection tomorrow.

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: September 20, 2015, 01:29:58 pm »

Wow sending turns in time !
Wow meeting neighbors !
Wow seeing how little the Roman empire is ! :(

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: September 21, 2015, 07:05:17 am »

I'm not sure if I should be more insulted by you sending a Halfling assassin at me or pleased, since you leveled up my mage.  :P

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: September 21, 2015, 09:19:03 am »

So I'm now betting two death gems I'll be the first one to die. Any takers?

Simple betting rules, you promise gems to the pot, pot's split between whichever lot gets it right. No odds or anything.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: September 21, 2015, 09:23:27 am »

Yeah, I'll throw in my two water gems, what the heck.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: September 21, 2015, 01:48:33 pm »

I'm not villifying you.  I'm saying that sacreds tend to be better early.  Usually, sacred-heavy nations burn out later on because their mages or national troops are weaker to compensate.  But nationgen doesn't give nations with powerful sacreds weaker mages or national troops.  So if you help a nation with powerful sacreds get big, they're going to snowball, and now you're neighboring the most powerful warmonger around.

Basically, allying with a sacred giant nation is A not in anyone's interests (including other sacred giant nations) and B arguably rather mean to everyone else.  Think about it.  Why ally with your main rival when you could ally with a lesser rival?  That way when the betrayal comes (there can only be one winner), your former ally isn't an unstoppable juggernaut.

This logic overlooks one glaring issue. Early on, the squishies, as I like to call them, will not be able to effectively counter the more respectably-sized nations' sacreds. However, further down the road, they'll have the tools to do so. The big boned folk will be nastier too, but not perforce in a manner that's proportionate to the pancakes' increased annoyingness. So while not picking on things your own size before they learn how to do more than simply throw their weight around will make it more difficult to kill them down the line, it probably won't make it proportionately more difficult to fight them later than sooner - indeed, depending on each nation's research and expansion, it may be significantly easier. The nits, on the other hand, need to be dealt with eventually just as much as the other peoples, and nits are far easier to deal with than grown-up lice...

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: September 21, 2015, 03:17:08 pm »

Yes, but a sacred giant nation that captures their first cap is going to start naturally seeking their second.  If the war happens early enough they're still in a better position to snowball than a weak nation would be.

So I guess I'll rephrase: you shouldn't ally with a sacred giant nation unless you expect to get more land out of the war than they do.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: September 21, 2015, 04:06:54 pm »

Well, yes, but that's self-evident, I'd think, and really isn't at all limited to giants. You shouldn't really team up with anyone unless you expect to get more out of the alliance than them, be it more land, gold, gems, petty spiteful satisfaction, etc.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: September 21, 2015, 05:06:19 pm »

Well, yes, but that's self-evident, I'd think, and really isn't at all limited to giants. You shouldn't really team up with anyone unless you expect to get more out of the alliance than them, be it more land, gold, gems, petty spiteful satisfaction, etc.

I know what my chief export will be :P

Indeed, I do this.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: September 21, 2015, 05:27:43 pm »

You have a unit that costs 85 gold and has an on-death ability, I think that was a given :P
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: September 22, 2015, 03:35:10 am »

This logic overlooks one glaring issue. Early on, the squishies, as I like to call them, will not be able to effectively counter the more respectably-sized nations' sacreds. However, further down the road, they'll have the tools to do so. The big boned folk will be nastier too, but not perforce in a manner that's proportionate to the pancakes' increased annoyingness. So while not picking on things your own size before they learn how to do more than simply throw their weight around will make it more difficult to kill them down the line, it probably won't make it proportionately more difficult to fight them later than sooner - indeed, depending on each nation's research and expansion, it may be significantly easier. The nits, on the other hand, need to be dealt with eventually just as much as the other peoples, and nits are far easier to deal with than grown-up lice...
On the other other hand, where's the fun in playing where you're not challenged by your opponents?

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: September 22, 2015, 03:42:25 am »

Yay, I'm back and I didn't miss any deadline :)

All hail Augustus Ceasar, Emperor of the Sepulchral Throne !
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 43