Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 43

Author Topic: Dominions 4 Round 17: Very Bad Things (Hashed NationGen) - Done  (Read 47941 times)

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4 Round 17: Very Bad Things (Hashed NationGen) - Game underway
« Reply #210 on: September 18, 2015, 07:54:25 am »

I just sent my two turns. I should be able to do the same Sunday afternoon (in ~50 hours).

Apparently, someone really doesn't like their nationnal troops :D

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 18, 2015, 08:42:00 am »

Pretty sure they're just trying to expand faster :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 18, 2015, 09:05:17 am »

Yeah, after this I might try a disciple game if you guys want to, seems pretty interesting.

Also, this being my first MP game means that this is the first time I'll be experiencing/failing Dominions Diplomacy. I actually have a idea for a potential team up, but I'd like to see how they do on their own before I commit to any such things. I'm pretty sure none of us have actually seen each others borders yet, so opening up a dialogue now would be a bit silly.

Nah, you should totally pick your allies and enemies now, before pesky facts can get in the way.

For instance, I've had good luck vilifying the Great Il Palazzo in the past, as he can probably attest.  In my most memorable case, it was the pairing of a good player with a dangerous nation (Late age R'yleh) that made it a popular message.

E. Albright is also very experienced: He was playing Dominions multiplayer prior to multiplayer on this forum.

EDIT: As for Disciples play, I'd probably prefer 2-player teams.  It's like a Superhero and their Sidekick, plus it removes most possible interteam bickering and politicking.  No third wheel.

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 18, 2015, 10:16:30 am »

Intrateam, you mean ?

Also, I found out something about Valanis : the sea provinces have much fewer land neighbors than on some other maps (except for the lake(s)).

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 18, 2015, 11:44:35 am »

E. Albright is also very experienced: [They were] playing Dominions multiplayer prior to multiplayer on this forum.

Lies and balderdash. My entire MP Dominions experience is as follows: 3.01, a 2-player blitzy thing with slMagnavox, 3.02 for the first 20 turns or so before RL made me drop out, 3.06, 3.15, 4.01, 4.04, 4.10, 4.11 as a sub for a turn or three, 4.15, 4.16 as a sub for a turn or six, and now 4.17. So this is somewhere between my 7th and 12th game, depending on how and what you count. Now OTOH, I have an obscenely buggish little mind, a very solid grasp of game mechanics (which has only been made worse by working with Elmokki on NG), and have been playing SP Dominions on and off since Dom1 back in... say... 2003? But I'm not "very experienced" at MP in absolute terms, and my first game of MP Dom was the first Bay12 one, and not before.

EDIT: Oh, hey Albright? Mod question: is "Formation Fighter" something units can have, and if so, why isn't it more common?

It's possible, yes. It will generally (possibly exclusively?) only show up on troops with equipment themed "formationfighter", which would be various flavors of spears and polearms. It didn't seem like it was excessively uncommon compared to its occurrence in vanilla, but I could probably do some tests to check.

EDIT: As for Disciples play, I'd probably prefer 2-player teams.  It's like a Superhero and their Sidekick, plus it removes most possible interteam bickering and politicking.  No third wheel.

Mrmph. It's more interesting with at least 3; that way you actually have to work together and do actual planning and coordination. With two, it doesn't feel like a team, it just feels like a guaranteed ally.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 11:47:09 am by E. Albright »

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 18, 2015, 11:53:23 am »

Also, this being my first MP game means that this is the first time I'll be experiencing/failing Dominions Diplomacy. I actually have a idea for a potential team up, but I'd like to see how they do on their own before I commit to any such things. I'm pretty sure none of us have actually seen each others borders yet, so opening up a dialogue now would be a bit silly.
Please, no one team up with any of the nations that have giant fomorian sacreds.  You're hurting yourself in the end if you do.

I knew it would be Il Palazzo without even looking.  Last game I played with him he got huge as Machaka by hiring four merc companies at once.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: September 18, 2015, 12:36:00 pm »

I knew it would be Il Palazzo without even looking.  Last game I played with him he got huge as Machaka by hiring four merc companies at once.
It's not like it did me much good in the end.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 18, 2015, 04:16:20 pm »

E. Albright is also very experienced: [They were] playing Dominions multiplayer prior to multiplayer on this forum.

Lies and balderdash. My entire MP Dominions experience is as follows: 3.01, a 2-player blitzy thing with slMagnavox, 3.02 for the first 20 turns or so before RL made me drop out, 3.06, 3.15, 4.01, 4.04, 4.10, 4.11 as a sub for a turn or three, 4.15, 4.16 as a sub for a turn or six, and now 4.17. So this is somewhere between my 7th and 12th game, depending on how and what you count. Now OTOH, I have an obscenely buggish little mind, a very solid grasp of game mechanics (which has only been made worse by working with Elmokki on NG), and have been playing SP Dominions on and off since Dom1 back in... say... 2003? But I'm not "very experienced" at MP in absolute terms, and my first game of MP Dom was the first Bay12 one, and not before.

EDIT: Oh, hey Albright? Mod question: is "Formation Fighter" something units can have, and if so, why isn't it more common?

It's possible, yes. It will generally (possibly exclusively?) only show up on troops with equipment themed "formationfighter", which would be various flavors of spears and polearms. It didn't seem like it was excessively uncommon compared to its occurrence in vanilla, but I could probably do some tests to check.

Mrmph. It's more interesting with at least 3; that way you actually have to work together and do actual planning and coordination. With two, it doesn't feel like a team, it just feels like a guaranteed ally.

Sorry, I think I've made that mistake before.  It was probably the expressions of experience in the more widely-known 3.02 and 3.06 that got me confused.  I wasn't following Dominions MP when you had the blitzy thing.

So you are totally not a threat, provided nobody looks at your performances in those games.  But to be fair, most of your victories and near victories that I know about were with Atlantis.

I still like the idea of two-player Disciples better.  The idea of two or more prophets going around just seems weird to me.  Mechanically, I'm used to one-prophet games of Dominions (it is rare, but possible, to have multiple prophets), so it makes the most sense to me.
Eh, I'd probably join any Disciple game and "figure it out" as I go along.

It's not like it did me much good in the end.

You'll have to tell us your winning bidding strategy.  Because winning a bid is winning, and winning is best, right?  ;D

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: September 18, 2015, 05:38:57 pm »

Honestly I think he might be the ONLY PERSON BIDDING :P
Well, one other person grabbed a merc, but I'm guessing Pallazzo just did the minimum bid spread over as many as possible the first turn.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: September 18, 2015, 05:40:58 pm »

Its probably "bid 6 over the minimum because no one looks at the merc list early".  In this game in particular its a slightly safe bet that people won't be bidding on mercs given how so many of us have giant national troops.  (BFEL you ninja!)

Two player disciples is a different dynamic, sure.  I'm not sure what to say about it since my ally in Dom16 was so new; I basically served as the de facto team captain since he didn't know enough about the game.  Also we know each other in RL so the coordination was pretty close.

It definitely does open up new strategies.  Both of our factions could mass-produce sacreds, but his relied on forts while mine relied on death gems.  So I sent him like 2,000 gold (500 of which I later got back to rebuild my cap's temple after an earthquake) to build forts and temples, while he sent me all of his death and astral income.  The result was both of us individually having more sacreds than we would have had in a SP game.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: September 18, 2015, 05:51:21 pm »

Please, no one team up with any of the nations that have giant fomorian sacreds.  You're hurting yourself in the end if you do.
So what you're saying is that those of us playing with giant fomorian sacreds should just start dropping shit like burden of time because everyone will hate us anyway?
Note: Just pointing out the flaw in that logic there, vilifying half the players because they are STRONK is silly, because it would free us to do whatever the shit we want like above, AND DO YOU WANT TO CREATE THE GIANT FOMORIAN SACRED ALLIANCE EH? NO YOU DO NOT.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 05:55:09 pm by BFEL »

Indeed, I do this.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: September 18, 2015, 05:55:31 pm »

To be fair, it probably wouldn't hurt you that much. It'd only really nail the non-formorian nations terribly badly, and I don't think you lot actually have much to worry about from them :V

Actually, that mostly extends to all the notably negative globals. It's a sad world to be tiny ;_;
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 05:57:11 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: September 18, 2015, 06:00:02 pm »

That's kinda my point Frumple. If we in the Union of Giant Fomorians find that the entire rest of the world wants to murder us, we can/would unleash some unpleasant shit.
So its in YOU GUY'S best interest to play nice with us :3

Indeed, I do this.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: September 18, 2015, 06:04:53 pm »

Well, no, what I was saying is that we couldn't do anything about it anyway. Only thing really stopping y'is torquing off the other giants :P
Ask not!
Ask!

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: September 18, 2015, 06:13:09 pm »

So what you're saying is that those of us playing with giant fomorian sacreds should just start dropping shit like burden of time because everyone will hate us anyway?
Note: Just pointing out the flaw in that logic there, vilifying half the players because they are STRONK is silly, because it would free us to do whatever the shit we want like above, AND DO YOU WANT TO CREATE THE GIANT FOMORIAN SACRED ALLIANCE EH? NO YOU DO NOT.
I'm not villifying you.  I'm saying that sacreds tend to be better early.  Usually, sacred-heavy nations burn out later on because their mages or national troops are weaker to compensate.  But nationgen doesn't give nations with powerful sacreds weaker mages or national troops.  So if you help a nation with powerful sacreds get big, they're going to snowball, and now you're neighboring the most powerful warmonger around.

Basically, allying with a sacred giant nation is A not in anyone's interests (including other sacred giant nations) and B arguably rather mean to everyone else.  Think about it.  Why ally with your main rival when you could ally with a lesser rival?  That way when the betrayal comes (there can only be one winner), your former ally isn't an unstoppable juggernaut.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 43