Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: Monster Breeder/Hunter Game (Waitlist available)  (Read 6463 times)

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
    • Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod
Re: Monster Breeder/Hunter Game (1/6)
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2015, 12:21:57 pm »

I'll put you on the waitlist. Seven is stretching me a little bit. Its entirely possible that characters could die if they got a few bad rolls all in a row on a mission.
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2015, 07:25:11 pm »

I have a major headache right now so expect the IC in a few hours or tomorrow morning depending on how well I feel. In the meantime I'd like to get some player input, so feel free to answer as many or as few of the following questions. Your answers may or may not have large impacts on the story plot and or world this takes place in. I will consider each response adn they will guild my decision process, but they will not determine what goes on. Anyhow here they are:

1) Should the world be:
a. One large continent
b. Two continents
c. A series of large islands
d. A Dragon Quest style of interconnected mini-worlds

2) What kind of biomes are you most interested in exploring?

3) Do you want lots of different kinds of monsters to discover or a few types with a couple variations each?

4) Do you want lots of NPCs? If so, which kinds?

5) How dangerous do you want the world to be?

6) What role should magic have in this world?

7) What is your goal for this game? What do you want to do with your character/monster?

8) Suggestion for group motto.

9) General suggestions about anything.

10) Tell a joke.
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

FelixSparks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Monster Breeder/Hunter Game (Waitlist available)
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2015, 07:43:36 pm »

1) I like D. Reminds me of the Keys from DQM2, which is my favorite. Though C could be fun, ala Joker 1. But final vote is D

2) I'm a fan of Slimes, Materials, and Naturals. As such, things like Jungles, Caves, and Tombs are tops of my list.

3) Lots for me!

4) I'd settle for a good number, but only if they serve a purpose! Trades, extra missions, jobs to do or hireable ones are preferred for me. Of course, a few that are fun to talk to are always good, like a bartender or a streetear.

5) A fair amount of danger, but not SO dangerous that if you accidentally wander into an area that's higher leveled than you you don't DIE immediately.

6) Same as the main games, attack, buffs, healing, the whole gambit!

7) I want to tame lots of monsters and win some tournaments! I'd like to have my character be able to use a slime team to wreck some shit, since slimes are viewed as weak.

9) Let's work as a team so we don't get too wrecked up. Maybe pair up in twos or threes to make sure no one gets stomped too early on. Also, talk about which monsters you may want in a given encounter to cut down on bickering.

10) What do Vampire Slimes say when they like something? "Fangtastic!"

Lermfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2015, 08:01:34 pm »

Sie sind das essen, und vie sind die jeager!

I had to do that. Anyway, put me on the wait list. Feedback answers below.

EDIT: I'll leave this here.

EVEN MORE EDIT:
I have a major headache right now so expect the IC in a few hours or tomorrow morning depending on how well I feel. In the meantime I'd like to get some player input, so feel free to answer as many or as few of the following questions. Your answers may or may not have large impacts on the story plot and or world this takes place in. I will consider each response adn they will guild my decision process, but they will not determine what goes on. Anyhow here they are:

1) Should the world be:
a. One large continent
b. Two continents
d. A Dragon Quest style of interconnected mini-worlds

3) Do you want lots of different kinds of monsters to discover or a few types with a couple variations each?

7) What is your goal for this game? What do you want to do with your character/monster?

10) Tell a joke.

1)c. (large islands) I'd go for interconnected mini-worlds, but you'd overwhelm yourself and this would die shortly thereafter. No reason you can't "upgrade" in the future to option d. if you can handle it.

2) Biomes? Why can't we have all the biomes? Forest, tundra -- all of it!

3) Yes! Pokemon the SHIT out of thing, man! I wanna take the ultimate step and find the courage to be bold!

4) Yes. Various kinds. Other 'tamers' to Guild officials to villagers who live in, well, villages. Maybe even a kingdom or a republic or two. Variety is the spice of life. You see where I'm going with this. I like options and flavour.

5) Have it vary depending on area/continent/world. I would like a permadeath challenge in some areas. The players who don't want that can stay out of that area. Something for everyone!

6) Yikes. Tough one. I'll leave the others to chime in there. I'll put my own two cents in when discussion is generated.

7)

8) "We are the--" no. Not doing that again. Um, no idea. I'll let someone else handle this.

9) Um, I'll make them known as I go along.

10) What is big and likes to eat? YOUR MOTHER! OH SHIT NIGGAH! NIGGAH SHIT!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 08:20:08 pm by Lermfish »

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2015, 08:43:30 pm »

1) B, for more exploring time and less time spent traveling between areas. Also, the second continent could serve as a stronger area for progression, with new monsters and stuff.

2) I like Dragons, Material, and Beast monsters, so Mountains, Caves, Forests/Plains

3) Lots of monsters

4) A good amount of NPCS to give knowledge, tasks, skill training, maybe a few shopkeepers too. Not a lot of superfluous NPCs, though. You know, like those ones in video games that repeat the same two lines over and over.

5)Dangerous enough that you feel a sense of progression when you are able to hold your own in a new area, but not so dangerous that stumbling into that area early turns you into red mist. Folks should be able to stumble into a dangerous area and maybe get away with a strong monster egg if they manage to sneak around.

6) Attacks, Healing, Buffs

7) I want to have a small amount of elite monsters, quality over quantity. I also want my character to become strong enough to be able to fight a monster on his own, with sword and magic.

8) "Onward and outward. With monsters."

9) I would like a more uniform world, being able to go from the sea through plains and forests through mountains at any level, not something like Lvl 1-10 Coastline, 11-20 Field, 21-30 Forest, and so on. I also like more unique monsters, not just a recolored version that is supposed to be stronger.

10) Slimes.  :P Kidding, just messing with Felix. I can't think of a good joke.
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
  • Its a lie. he is still an escaped lunatic brony.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2015, 09:40:01 pm »

1) Should the world be:

Donny why, but I likes the jungle and forest biomes in real life, and, therefore,  would like to see them in this game

Poker on fan. You tell me.
Not a lot. . . I feel we shold work on player vs player interaction

Dark Souls should be easy compared to this. . . .

Uhhhhh. . . .pass

I don't know, honestly. I just know I like how your games are formatted

See number 6

Might want to have a map made. A general one, if anything. It may come in  handy.

10) Tell a joke.
So a slime and a princess walk into a bar. . . . .
I hear a piranha is good eating.  I have a spear; I'll be fine!
The Pilot and their cargo handlers paused when they saw that the entire camp is covered in eldritch runes coated in blood. And rotting monkey corpses everywhere..

They decide that they didn't get paid enough for this..

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2015, 10:36:20 pm »

The IC thread is up http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=153023.0

Right now its in the introductory RP phase, so have at it with eachother. I'm gonna write up the stats and inventory list into one big post later, and then sometime after there's been enough RP, we'll start on the training.

Note: Players and I share control of your monsters. So like right now you RP as your monster in addition to your character, but occasionally I may have them do monstery things. Not sure how that's gonna work since you two are a pair but they're also sort of an NPC, whatever we'll figure that out as we go.

Edit: I think I may just have them do things while you aren't watching. So when you're with your monster they listen to you and you play as your character and your monster, but when you let them be I will auto them to things that they'd do naturally. So like slimes will eat things and get into trouble. Scrappers will collect things. And monsters will just generally do whatever their monster instincts tell them to do, but only when you aren't with them/directing them. Subject to change.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 10:41:59 pm by Spiderking50 »

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2015, 11:17:01 pm »

I'm a tad slow to answer, so I'm probably too late, but...

1) Two continents
2) Seaside things, and maybe polar and jungle type things. Hopefully not overlapping too much :P
3) Somewhere in between? Where lots of monsters is 10 and a few monsters with lots of variation is 0, I'd say a 3?
4) Sure, and all kinds except gmpcs. :P
5) Fairly.
6) Some; generally magic should be performed by using bits of monsters that form inside them, I think.
7) My goal is to defeat the largest, most ancient monsters I can for personal glo- to protect humanity, I mean.
8) Defeat is not an option!
9) Ways to power up monsters - but not evolution, that's been overdone.
10) Why did the golem cross the road? The road crossed her first!
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2015, 11:52:29 pm »

Heads up, this game is not based on any single game. Its loosely got ideas from Monster Rancher, Dragon Quest games, Monster hunter, so on and so fourth... Mostly its based on the kind of game I'd like to play which fits somewhere between these games.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2015, 11:54:26 pm »

Heads up, this game is not based on any single game. Its loosely got ideas from Monster Rancher, Dragon Quest games, Monster hunter, so on and so fourth... Mostly its based on the kind of game I'd like to play which fits somewhere between these games.
Si, I like those three games you listed. At least the GBA version of the first, the few of the second I've played (Rocket Slime, a short attempt to play DQ Monsters Joker on an emulator, and DQIX), and I am part-way through plus rank in the fourth game in the third series.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2015, 12:13:06 am »

Does that mean I can raise a Xenon and fuse it with a Gigantes to help me fight a Fatalis? Also, I'm hoping I can eventually combine my Wyrm into a Zenith Dragon/Chaos Dragon/Fatalis thing.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2015, 12:16:34 am »

The bestiary for this game is made up by me for this game. Its not a copy from another game. That's what I've been trying to get at.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2015, 12:31:23 am »

I only used those as examples, since I don't know what monsters you've come up with. I'm gonna be disappointed if there isn't a huge dragon or giant golem or big robot though. I want to use them as a mount.  :P

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2015, 12:33:31 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Done.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 07:15:58 am by Adragis029 »
thincake

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2015, 12:42:14 am »

I only used those as examples, since I don't know what monsters you've come up with. I'm gonna be disappointed if there isn't a huge dragon or giant golem or big robot though. I want to use them as a mount.  :P

Oh there will be giant monsters. I already have a few nasty beasties written up  ;)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9