Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Something To Do Until Next Release  (Read 2322 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Something To Do Until Next Release
« on: August 28, 2007, 09:18:00 pm »

So I know everyone is antsy and the new version is coming up really soon, but I spent many hours working on this before I realized how soon it would be obsolete so I figured I'd just finish it, upload it, and hope a few people enjoy it before time runs out.

I built two fortresses, though one of them, Morellecad, took the most of my time (and about 18 years of game time).  It's a massive maze stretching from the entrance to the magma, and is nearly as tall as it is wide.  I'd show you a screen shot, but it'd ruin the fun - I want to see if anyone in adventure mode can reach the legendary Golden Treasure Room at the end of the maze.

My challenge to all of you is to explore the maze, find the treasure if you can, and most importantly, tell the story of your adventurer as s/he fights off the hoards of monsters and searches for the treasure.  Beware the piles of trinkets which should be lying all over the place - they are nothing compared to the treasure in the golden room.

To start off as close to the maze as possible, start off as a human of Dur En.  This map marks with red dots the locations of the two fortresses, with the maze being the dot to the left, and the town is a short ways to the West of that (on the other side of the mountain).

And the save file: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CR5HK61D

I do hope at least a few people enjoy this, I spent so very many hours on it.  I have a few other plans for fortresses designed for adventure mode as well, but I'll save that for the next version!

[ August 28, 2007: Message edited by: Sappho ]

PTTG?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://2funnyguys.com
Re: Something To Do Until Next Release
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 09:28:00 pm »

Downloading now... looks fun!
.@..**@.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 09:30:00 pm »

Hooray, a player!  I'm doing it too, I'm not even sure it's possible to do without going through several adventurers, and I know the way through the maze!

Edit:  It appears I mismarked the location of the maze on the map.  I'm going to go look for it now, I'll post its location when I find it.  Sorry guys!

Spelguru

• Bay Watcher
  • Rabid Swedish Person
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007, 09:38:00 pm »

got a bug saying missing creature definition: rabbit. Got any mods? Care to tell which ones?
Got Ninja?
Orkz Orkz Orkz Orkz, Orkz Orkz Orkz Orkz... WAAAAAGH!
NHP (Non human pact. Copy and paste if you are going to destroy all human-like creatures in spore.)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2007, 09:46:00 pm »

Whoops!  Sorry, I totally forgot about the rabbits...  I made a new creature, which, as you might have realized, is called a rabbit.  I made it myself.  It's in the creature_large_temperate.txt file in the raws, and the code is:

code:
 [CREATURE:RABBIT]
   [NAME:rabbit:rabbits:rabbit]
   [TILE:'r'][COLOR:7:0:1][REMAINS_COLOR:7:0:1]
   [FREQUENCY:100]
   [NATURAL][PET]
   [CLUSTER_NUMBER:4:10]
   [POPULATION_NUMBER:15:30]
   [PETVALUE:10]
   [SPEED:720][MEANDERER]
   [PREFSTRING:lucky feet]
   [PREFSTRING :pom-pom tails]
   [BIOME_ALL]
   [ALL_ACTIVE][COMMON_DOMESTIC]
   [HOMEOTHERM:10067]
   [LAYERING:100][BENIGN][BLOODTYPE:G]
   [NATURAL][LARGE_ROAMING]

[BODY:QUADRUPED:TAIL:2EYES:2EARS:NOSE:LUNGS:HEART:GUTS:ORGANS:THROAT:NECK:SPINE:BRAIN:MOUTH]
   [BODYGLOSS:PAW]
   [SIZE:1]
   [MAXAGE:5:6]
   [ATTACK:MAIN:BYTYPE:MOUTH:bite:bites:1:3:GORE][ATTACKFLAG_CANLATCH]
   [CHILD:0.3][CHILDNAME:bunny:bunnies][LITTERSIZE:5:10]
   [FAT:1][COOKABLE_LIVE]
   [STANDARD_FLESH]

Sorry about that, I hope it still works!

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 10:00:00 pm »

Okay, the corrected map is here:

I also updated the map in the original post.  I will add the mod code to that as well, sorry again for that.  Can someone let me know if adding that code works for the save file?

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2007, 10:14:00 pm »

Oh my god I think I might cry...  The fortress is inaccessible in adventure mode.  I thought I could wade through the water to get to that little enclosed valley, but apparently it is ocean and I can't walk through it.

I must have spent 30 hours making that maze.......

Does anyone know if there's anything at all I can do about this?  Anything?  Or should I just go bang my head against the wall for the next 30 hours?

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2007, 10:27:00 pm »

Do you have a save before you abandoned it into a maze?

If the answer is yes, obtain some human armor and make several good weapons. Next, put them in a building outside (if you can do trade depot, easy, if not, make them outside and leave them in the workshop). Next, have us use the "Human: Play now!" feature.

I tested it, and got to a fortress. Not sure which one, though, since I got killed very soon due to no armor or weapons or skills.

So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2007, 10:41:00 pm »

I'll look and see if I can find one...  If there is one, it's from a long time before I abandoned it.  It never occurred to me that I'd need one now...  There are loads of weapons...  Although actually I never got any human caravans, so maybe it wouldn't work anyway.

:(

Shador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2007, 11:19:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Savok:
<STRONG>I tested it, and got to a fortress. Not sure which one, though, since I got killed very soon due to no armor or weapons or skills.</STRONG>

Agmafol, "Daubchambers", presumably the other fortress.  :(

Turgid Bolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Tacticus Grandmaster
    • View Profile
    • http://...
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2007, 12:59:00 am »

Hm, the file is "temporarily unavailable," but I will keep trying to get it. I want to see what you've come up with! I'm already imagining a story of how I got to the fortress, completely naked and unskilled...but ready to find the treasure! Too bad it was inaccessible, but that just makes it more of a challenge.
"This is an engraving of a Dwarf and a Mandrill Leather Skirt. The Dwarf is raising the skirt."
Multiplayer Adventure Mode, the (now defunct) DF roleplaying game.

Turgid Bolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Tacticus Grandmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2007, 05:52:00 pm »

So...many...bolts. And statues. And...a magma forge?

Oh, and gremlins. I only got as far as the gate before getting torn to bits. This is gonna take a while.

"This is an engraving of a Dwarf and a Mandrill Leather Skirt. The Dwarf is raising the skirt."

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2007, 08:34:00 pm »

Wait - you got to the site?  How did you get to the site!!??

Sorry about the buildings outside.  I employed a great deal of cheating to make this, and it still took about 15 game years (and about 30 hours of my life).  I made magma outside so I wouldn't have to build an actual fortress, leaving all the room for my maze!!!

Turgid Bolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Tacticus Grandmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2007, 08:50:00 pm »

Well, I just hit "Play Now!" and got lucky. I tried walking from the nearest town, but there doesn't seem to be any way to it. If only we had boats or could climb mountains...

Anyway, I'll probably write up an adventure into the other fort. I'll see if I can survive long enough to find some armor in the maze fort, but if all else fails I'll reclaim just to see the awesomeness.

By the way, apparently some of the rabbits are vicious attack rabbits, but they never land a blow so I just use them for wrestling practice.  :( Only when they attack me first, of course. They're cute vicious attack rabbits!

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2007, 10:48:00 pm »

Reclaiming might not be a bad idea.  You'd still have to fight your way through and explore the maze, but you'd have a group to do it.  With the exception, of course, of the fact that the dwarves in fortress mode are excellent at finding their way through the maze to whatever they wish to reach, taking away a great deal of the challenge!
Pages: [1] 2