Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 18

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia LVI: The Messengers - Town Victory  (Read 30238 times)

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is going as planned
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia LVI: The Messengers - Day 1: Believing Drunken Rants (9/9)
« Reply #75 on: September 08, 2015, 06:20:02 pm »

You know what that means?!?!!

Seriously what do people think it means, cause personally I just think they have lives

On a more game oriented note Unvote. Griffionday, Tntey you have posted a lot answer my previous question, and this one too.
Giving waitlisted people the ability to murder non-responsive players was a great idea. Need to do that more often.

Griffionday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 08, 2015, 06:38:19 pm »

Seriously what do people think it means, cause personally I just think they have lives
I agree with your assessment, I find it amusing because they are supposed to be the people who are the "good" players, corralling and trying to keep the newer players active and hunting.  I highly doubt it is in any way indicative of their alignment, just ironic.

I was serious about my question: why do you feel your question is more helpful than asking people's favorite ice-cream? And why are you so obsessed with getting everyone to answer your question?

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 08, 2015, 07:10:28 pm »

I honestly just want to see how people respond since the question is relevant to this game, why are you so obsessed with avoiding the question, are you scum partnered with an IC?
Giving waitlisted people the ability to murder non-responsive players was a great idea. Need to do that more often.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 08, 2015, 07:55:23 pm »

Hello everyone, and welcome to Beginner's Mafia. These tend to be a bit crazy and slightly different from regular mafia games, because most of you are just learning how to scumhunt. I'm here to help you with that. Keep in mind that since I'm not just an IC, but also a player, I may not be your alignment necessarily, but the advice I will give you will help you in this and future games, and represent general truths and my own opinions about mafia. My advice will generally will generally be how to scumhunt, and indirectly, how to not look scummy, since while town players shouldn't be as worried about that as the mafia and should focus on scumhunting, scumhunting makes you look less scummy, and being less scummy means you won't be mislynched or used as an easy target by the mafia.

A general word of advice, please quote or link the stuff you are responding to. No one's going to keep track of the early question you got asked and never got around to answering.

Frostmoon:
Hello everybody! :3 As you can see, I'm Frostmoon! :3 Some of you guys may know me from 4maskwolf's Beginner's Mafia which ended with my faction, town, losing. Anyways, I look forward to playing with all of you~! :3

Everyone: How much experience does everyone here have? Like, what games have you played and what have you learned from them?
I've played for about two years or so on the board. This was the amount of games I had played last march, don't know how much more I've played now.

Also, I do want to mention that ICs can give advice after they've died.
While ICs can and do give advice after being dead, said advice tends to be minimal. Part of the point of ICs as players is that they can show how regular Bay12 players play, or at least, how they play, something they can't do when dead and they can't give advice without worries of affecting people's scumhunting.

Anyone, but especially the ICs: What do you think of Moonlit's play so far? Do newbs of various alignments tend to flail like this?
I can't tell yet. Give me a little more time.

tntey:
(I've played cultists and churchgoers goers. And have play a game of town of salem.))
Town of Salem is quite different from this, mainly because of the lack of time.

Moonlit Shadow
Frostmoon: Pretty much my second game. I played the previously mentioned flaborts game which's name I've forgotten (something with C Fold or something), and died due to my computer glitching out on me and deleting my defense ): as mafia. And I've also played the mini-mafia things that Tomasque did, with Griffionday, Tntey, and Filipk. Those didn't really count, as with only 4 people, the playstyle was very different.
Please don't talk about ongoing games. You also flipped town, so I don't know why you said "as mafia" there.

What do you think the point of voting people in RVS is?

Uh, Everyone, what exactly does a scum IC do?
Scum IC's give advice to the new scum players in the scum chat. This is a link to the scum chat for the last BM where I was scum IC. SO NQT won't be posting here, unless its to say hello, mention some rules-related thing, or take over for Jack A T incase Jack's has RL stuff to deal with.

Griffionday:
Persus13
What so-called "scum-tells" do you personally find particularly likely to be misapplied and blind town?
That's a tough one. The first one that comes to mind is Lynch all Liars in role-heavy games where there is an incentive for town power roles to lie. Lurker Lynching is one I tend to go back on forth on, because I've seen inactive scum use their inactivity to win, and I've also seen town lose by targeting lurkers, so that one is particularly likely to be misapplied.

fillip:
Moonlit Shadow why did you jump on the band wagon, you working to get us loyal adventures lynched?

Sorry about getting you lynches Moonlit, I looked back through and saw some posts I missed that made you look really town :(
PLEASE DONT TALK ABOUT ONGOING GAMES. Especially when you aren't dead in it.

NJW2000
Lynching ICs is a good way to make scum win due to noobish confusion not being resolved, isn't it? They're more likely to be town, therefore it's better to not kill the experienced players that are most likely on our side?

Then again, perhaps they could do more damage as scum, I don't know.
ICs tend to do more damage as scum. Although lynching ICs can be bad for town. Its tough ain't it.

@GriffiondayTntey not posting much. Made him look odd when also looking at everyone but the absent Persus. More of a general statement.
I don't believe Kilaken's posted either.

Why are you currently voting Frostmoon?

Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 08, 2015, 09:06:10 pm »

Okay won't talk about it anymore or ever again, sorry Persus,  anyway please answer my questions, I can quote them for you if you want.
Quote from: fillipk
so as to that @Everyone would you rather be scum partners with an IC or a newb and why?

I would rather have an IC because they are better and less likely to get caught and therefore more likely to win for me.
I would like everyone to answer this

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 09, 2015, 02:01:17 am »

@PersusAs he's the only one I'm suspiscious of due to things that can't be explained by weird town play, like Moonlit's may have been early on. He answers questions misleadingly, with attacks on me and defences on players I was defending against him, not to mention odd hunting against moonlit. Gotta school, sorry if unclear.
One wheel short of a wagon

Griffionday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 09, 2015, 10:21:00 am »

fillipk
I honestly just want to see how people respond since the question is relevant to this game, why are you so obsessed with avoiding the question, are you scum partnered with an IC?
sighs
If I were, do you honestly think that my answer would in any way give that away?

Let's see: My answer to your question is that I would rather be playing with a noob, as I like helping others and teaching someone the ropes of the game is fun.
What does this answer tell you about me that is so important that it was worth distancing yourself from all that was going on in the game, and convinced you that you needed to return to RVS?

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 09, 2015, 12:59:44 pm »

Votecount:
*Frostmoon - NJW2000 (1)
*Griffionday - fillipk (1)
*NJW2000 - (0)
*tntey - DoctorMcTaalik (1)
*fillipk - (0)
*DoctorMcTaalik - (0)
*The Moonlit Shadow - (0)
*Kilakan - Griffionday, The Moonlit Shadow (2)
*Persus13 - (0)
No Lynch - (0)

Not voting: Frostmoon, tntey, Kilakan, and Persus13

Extension requests: 0/4
Shorten requests: 0/5

Day ends at 9:00 PM PST Thursday, September 10th.  There are two extensions available.
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 09, 2015, 01:05:26 pm »

@All, especially ICs Griffionday is the only one voting with a vote on him. What does this vote tell us? There might be a nolynch if he rescinds.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 09, 2015, 01:22:19 pm »

Worse than nolynch, huh? I kinda don't think so, seeing the op rant about it.You gonna vote someone else?

Griffionday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 09, 2015, 02:32:09 pm »

Jack A T
Can we get a prod on Kilakan?

NJW200
@All, especially ICs Griffionday is the only one voting with a vote on him. What does this vote tell us? There might be a nolynch if he rescinds.
It tells me pretty much nothing. Do you get a sense that it tells you anything?

Moonlit Shadow
Unvote
I don't think lynching a lurker's our best choice.
I disagree; but I agree that Kilakan isn't the lurker we should lynch. unvote

Persus
Anyone, but especially the ICs: What do you think of Moonlit's play so far? Do newbs of various alignments tend to flail like this?
I can't tell yet. Give me a little more time.
Thoughts after having more time?

tntey
I as a rule don't like asking people their reads except under very limited circumstances.  They tend to be rather aethereal things, difficult to pin down, and can change based on developments in the game.  Also they can be a lot of work to put together and write out, and I am lazy.  However, to play this game it is required that you have and act on reads, as they are the central point of the entire game; they should determine your votes, who you are trying to get more information on and who you are trying to prove to everyone else as mafia.  You can't safely rely on anyone else to give you your reads, as either they are just as ignorant as you, or they will be trying to give you false information.

Do you have reads? Meaning are there people you think are more or less likely to be mafia than others? (Note, a yes or no statement is sufficient here; I expect you to show me your reads by acting on them, rather than just parroting them to me)

A note for your reads: I tend to think that dividing read into "town" and "mafia" can be quite blinding. Those titles have connotations of behavioral patterns, but anyone can be belligerent, not want to play, confusing, cautious, stubborn, panicking or friendly.  There is at least one important different though; a mafia member will know who everyone else is.  Thus looking at how people react and seeing if they seem to be acting with more information than is reasonable for them to have is a good way to assess your reads.

tntey

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Fishbone for its ska
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 09, 2015, 02:35:13 pm »

No I don't. I think maybe the person who is lurking, but right now I'm not too sure.
Speaking of lowest intelligence, that reminds me of the fact that it's probably your first time in prison. Don't worry, I can give you some tips, having spent some time in a few myself. The best way to make friends here is to drop the soap during shower time. Try it, I'm sure you'll love making friends like that!

Griffionday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 09, 2015, 02:59:24 pm »

No I don't. I think maybe the person who is lurking, but right now I'm not too sure.
Ah, okay. Well, only one person is currently lurking, so at least one person who has posted is a mafia member. 

May I recommend as an experiment? Try reading the posts to find someone who did something (could be anything, voting, asking a question, giving unsolicited advice, posting, not posting, etc.) Then think of why you would do that (would you do so if you found the person suspicious, if you wanted to know more, if you were worried about what other people are doing, if you were bored, or whatever).  Then ask them why they did it, and compare their answer to your internal reason for them doing it.  If you think that their reason is less reasonable then why you would have done it, you have a beginning of a suspicion, read through their posts and see if they make you think worse about them or better.  You can also call them out on it, and see what other people think of the behavior and whether they think it is suspicious or not (note, this is an opportunity to see if you find other people to be suspicious in their reasons for finding something suspicious or not).  If on the other hand their reason seems as reasonable or more reasonable, move on and do the same for something else.

Please note: this is not in any way guaranteed to always find you mafia members, you almost certainly will be wrong in some of your suspicions so don't get too attached to them and ignore everyone else, however also don't undervalue your suspicions.  If you think something is off, it likely is and it is worth digging into.

Griffionday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 09, 2015, 03:42:17 pm »

Moonlit and tntey:

Here are his current active questions.  Given his post this page (right after Persus) he seems to value the first more than the second:

Quote from: fillipk
so as to that @Everyone would you rather be scum partners with an IC or a newb and why?

I would rather have an IC because they are better and less likely to get caught and therefore more likely to win for me.
I would like everyone to answer this
It is highly amusing that the only non-active people are the ICs though.

On a more game oriented note Unvote. Griffionday, Tntey you have posted a lot answer my previous question, and this one too.

Griffionday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 09, 2015, 03:45:22 pm »

Edit: His post on the previous page, didn't notice I was going over the pageline.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 18