Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia LVI: The Messengers - Town Victory  (Read 30264 times)

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia LVI: The Messengers - Day 1: Believing Drunken Rants (9/9)
« Reply #60 on: September 08, 2015, 04:16:32 pm »

Not many posts tntey, though I guess they're ok ones...

Persus hasn't been on the forums for a bit. His last post was one hour or so before the game began.
One wheel short of a wagon

Griffionday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 08, 2015, 04:20:18 pm »

Not many posts tntey, though I guess they're ok ones...
Uh, what is this in response to?

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 08, 2015, 04:21:37 pm »

@GriffiondayTntey not posting much. Made him look odd when also looking at everyone but the absent Persus. More of a general statement.

tntey

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Fishbone for its ska
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 08, 2015, 04:26:44 pm »

Griffin day: I think it was wrong because that is random voting, or is scummy behavior because why would you call out a random person?
Speaking of lowest intelligence, that reminds me of the fact that it's probably your first time in prison. Don't worry, I can give you some tips, having spent some time in a few myself. The best way to make friends here is to drop the soap during shower time. Try it, I'm sure you'll love making friends like that!

Griffionday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 08, 2015, 04:33:18 pm »

Griffin day: I think it was wrong because that is random voting, or is scummy behavior because why would you call out a random person?
I am sorry, but is this your answer to my question, or a response to my comment? I can't tell...

tntey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 08, 2015, 05:03:16 pm »

Griffonday: Sorry, I'm not very good at formulating responses.
Speaking of lowest intelligence, that reminds me of the fact that it's probably your first time in prison. Don't worry, I can give you some tips, having spent some time in a few myself. The best way to make friends here is to drop the soap during shower time. Try it, I'm sure you'll love making friends like that!

Griffionday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 08, 2015, 05:07:21 pm »

Griffonday: Sorry, I'm not very good at formulating responses.
No worries.  I am going to assume that you were answering my question, correct me if I am wrong.

What should he have done other than randomly vote people? Is there a particular person he should have called out?

tntey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 08, 2015, 05:12:50 pm »

Griffin day: he shouldn't have called anyone out. He shouldn't have randomly voted Someone. I don't know what other actions he could've taken.

Griffionday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 08, 2015, 05:44:59 pm »

tntey
Feel free to call me Griff.

Slipping into psudo-IC mode: (Note, I am not IC, and so I may be trying to mislead you; I will promise that I am not; however, you will have to read what I say and decide if I am for yourself)

At the start of the game, there is no particular reason to assume one person is more guilty than any other; and so his vote obviously didn't say "I think you are the most suspicious person at the moment."  His vote however can be used to say "I am giving you my full attention, consider what you say carefully for I can and will be tearing it apart looking for anything remotely suspicious in your answer."  This is entirely valid, and quite often recommended, at the beginning of the first day as it allows you to see how that person will act with a little bit of pressure on them, which can be very helpful in getting a read on the person.

Now, this is not the only way to collect these reads; NJW2000 has mentioned his preference for a more laid-back approach of asking more passive questions, which fillipk seems to think is likewise ideal; Frostmoon has brought up striking up conversation, which could bring in reads on people depending on how it is used; I am trying something a bit unusual, but it seems to be working alright for me.  It is however a classic way to begin a day, often people will start a day asking a list of questions to various people (all, some, a couple, or just one randomly selected) and voting for one of them as additional pressure.

Do you at this point have any general sense of who might be a townie and who might be mafia?  Or even what one particular person might be?  Feel free to re-read the thread, thinking about whether people's attitudes, questions, reactions, etc. make more sense if they are acting on their own, or if they know who everyone else is.  Possibly look at one particular person, and see how they are acting.

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is going as planned
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 08, 2015, 05:52:32 pm »

Quote from: fillipk
so as to that @Everyone would you rather be scum partners with an IC or a newb and why?

I would rather have an IC because they are better and less likely to get caught and therefore more likely to win for me.
I would like everyone to answer this
Giving waitlisted people the ability to murder non-responsive players was a great idea. Need to do that more often.

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:SKULKING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 08, 2015, 05:52:32 pm »

It's 2:30 AM. I should be working on the essay that's due in six hours, not poking around on bay12. The fact that I haven't posted since this technically yesterday morning doesn't mean I'm "choosing not to engage", it means I'm otherwise occupied. Grumble grumble.
This will teach me to not at least give a passing glance at people's activity levels in the forum in general before calling people out on not being here (which isn't terribly productive anyway, so no loss). 
Good luck on your paper!

No worries, and thanks. The only thing I'm better at than writing papers, well, is not writing papers. It wasn't so much a matter of luck, as overcoming my natural resistance to doing anything productive whatsoever.

tntey: What's so scummy about random voting? You're clearly scum, so why aren't you doing it?

(note: yes, that's a random vote.)

Griffionday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 08, 2015, 05:55:16 pm »

Quote from: fillipk
so as to that @Everyone would you rather be scum partners with an IC or a newb and why?

I would rather have an IC because they are better and less likely to get caught and therefore more likely to win for me.
I would like everyone to answer this
What reason are you asking that particular question for? It seems to be about as helpful as asking people's favorite type of ice-cream.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 08, 2015, 05:57:54 pm »

@Griffionday I am getting a "quiet" vibe from tntey, and a "dodgy" one from Frostmoon. Everyone else seems to be playing in a similar manner to each other, though I could not be looking hard enough. Gotta sleep.

About filipk: it's relevant. If in a small way, then the cmount of untruth and calculation will be smaller. Icecream is irrelevant.

tntey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 08, 2015, 05:58:22 pm »

It's 2:30 AM. I should be working on the essay that's due in six hours, not poking around on bay12. The fact that I haven't posted since this technically yesterday morning doesn't mean I'm "choosing not to engage", it means I'm otherwise occupied. Grumble grumble.
This will teach me to not at least give a passing glance at people's activity levels in the forum in general before calling people out on not being here (which isn't terribly productive anyway, so no loss). 
Good luck on your paper!

No worries, and thanks. The only thing I'm better at than writing papers, well, is not writing papers. It wasn't so much a matter of luck, as overcoming my natural resistance to doing anything productive whatsoever.

tntey: What's so scummy about random voting? You're clearly scum, so why aren't you doing it?

(note: yes, that's a random vote.)

Well, I thought it was scummy because I was a beginner. But then Griff explained it to me.

Griffionday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 08, 2015, 06:05:26 pm »

Moonlit
Griffionday: Kilakan is currently lurking, so do you want to try to push a lynch, or go after a different target, as we can't exactly pressure a lurker.
There are two days (and 5 hours) left, so pushing a lynch seems a /little/ hasty at this point. I'm comfortable with my vote being on him for at least a few more hours, but I do feel that we are approaching the point of diminishing returns on that vote.

It is highly amusing that the only non-active people are the ICs though.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18