Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16

Author Topic: War of the Planets : Human thread : Research Q3 2025  (Read 13843 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: War of the Planets : Human thread : Revision Q2 2025
« Reply #180 on: September 08, 2015, 08:17:14 am »

It appears we have a stalemate here between attempting to revise the ammunition again, or the Laser submarine. Tiebreaker would be nice.

Hiddenleafguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 08, 2015, 08:28:35 am »

I change my vote to laser submarine!

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 08, 2015, 09:25:27 am »

We all live in a laser submarine
laser submarine, laser submarine
We all live in a laser submarine
laser submarine, laser submarine
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 08, 2015, 09:53:08 am »

Type 095-L Submarine

A variant on the type 095, with an enlarged reactor and a lengthened hull to allow for the installation of a powerful 10 MW laser. The ship has to surface to fire and can only do so in calm seas, as having any water over the laser would result in a rather damaging steam explosion.   

Gained : Basic laser technology

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 08, 2015, 10:03:17 am »

Well the last line is a reason why we did it. This turn will be rough but next turn we can hope for laser weapons.

10ebbor10, Type-095 will be converted to type-095L by its production line and upgraded submarine will be available for deployment this turn, right?
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 08, 2015, 10:09:51 am »

Yup

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 08, 2015, 10:21:13 am »

Nice. As far as research goes, I agree our best bet is to go for a more compact power source or a more efficient emitter. We should be studying captured alien equipment if possible. Now that they have large numbers of troops operating openly over a wide area, and we're presumably winning some engagements, a mostly intact example should be much less difficult to come by. I'm leaning toward a focus on the power source.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 08, 2015, 10:39:36 am »

Research compact power storage capable to discharge QUICKLY. Don't hesitate to steal enemy tech

I prefer a battery to a generator because we can't develop compact and cheap fusion in one turn...

and I vote for

I had weird numbers in the first version. It should be right now but feel free to recheck

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: War of the Planets : Human thread : Science Q2 2025
« Reply #188 on: September 09, 2015, 10:12:44 am »

More votes?

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 09, 2015, 11:01:03 am »

+1 to more compact power storage research & UR's deployment plan.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Hiddenleafguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 09, 2015, 11:01:32 am »

+1 to the above plan!

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 09, 2015, 11:53:05 am »

And another +1.
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 11, 2015, 10:58:30 am »

Compact power research

The research team makes several breakthroughs, focusing on 2 avenues. One for a technology that can be deployed rapidly, cheaply and effectively, the other aiming at pure performance and technological excellency. The first team reports success, optimizing production of a high power density graphene based super capacitor, capable of storing about as much energy by weight or volume as a normal battery, but with the capability to charge or discharge in an instant.

The second team also reports success. They based themselves on the alien's technology, analyzing their rifles and the scarce wreckage of landing pods we have recovered. Though we could not rebuild the power source or power storage technology they utilized, materials used in the design fulfill expectations of a room temperature superconductor. These materials have helped greatly in creating a Superconducting Magnetic Energy Storage System, where the energy is stored as a magnetic field within the coil. It's main benefits are that it has virtually no losses, neither during charging, discharging or storing the electricity, and is very reliable, as it contains no moving parts. Like the super capacitor, it can charge and discharge almost instantaneously. The system is however, a bit bigger , and the reliance on alien materials which we can not manufacture makes it expensive.

Gained :
     - Supercapacitor
     - Superconducting Magnetic Energy Storage (based on alien tech)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: War of the Planets : Human thread : Production Q2 2025
« Reply #193 on: September 11, 2015, 09:09:22 pm »

Oh hey, that went pretty well. Are people still okay with the battle orders?

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: War of the Planets : Human thread : Design Q3 2025
« Reply #194 on: September 13, 2015, 12:18:47 pm »

That is... meh.

They now got a tank with tons of raw penetration. Should we focus on ambush tactics instead?
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16