Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16

Author Topic: War of the Planets : Human thread : Research Q3 2025  (Read 13842 times)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: War of the Planets : Human thread : Revision Q2 2025
« Reply #165 on: September 06, 2015, 01:34:46 pm »

I am 100% behind getting bolter technology, but I don't think we can get it with a revision. Can we use a revision to change an existing military vehicle though? If so...

VT45

A Main Battle Tank 3000 equipped with the new ceramic armor and fitted with a laser turret based on the copied alien designs instead of a conventional gun. It retains the base model's coaxial and pintle mounted machine guns, optimized for firing anti-alien ammunition.

Hopefully we get some practical experience with laser weapons here, and a tank should provide a large enough platform for the large cooling and power systems our current knockoffs require.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 01:38:04 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 06, 2015, 01:43:52 pm »

Can we use a revision to change an existing military vehicle though?

You can. However, as the vehicle your basing it on is not included in your starting equipment, it will often be more expensive due to the fact that you're negotiating with other forces, or building conversion kits and such.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 06, 2015, 02:23:05 pm »

a) I doubt we have compact enough power source to try laser on a tank
b) It is not Sensei's game. There are little point to get two ground vehicles in the same turn because we will have to split production between both of them

If you want a laser... We have a submarine that eats production line anyway AND it actually has a suitable power source and water around to cool it down.   

In fact it is my new vote

Revise our submarine by adding a single powerful anti-dropship laser based on alien tech. This laser should be powered by submarine's nuclear reactor and use seawater for cooling. Remove half of torpedo tubes, mine laying equipment and, if necessary,  few vertical launch cells to free the space for necessary systems. While submarine is in a dock, upgrade its electronics and  optimizing them for anti-alien duties. 

Make them fear the Oceans!

Edit: decided to keep some torpedoes in case if enemy will design some flying subs or something.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 02:34:38 pm by Ukrainian Ranger »
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 06, 2015, 05:59:20 pm »

Im gonna vote for revising the highpowered ammunition to be more efficient and less damaging to the weapons that fire them. As well as just an increased dependability.

A +1 as well. This doesn't just benefit us, since we're distributing these things to other places it'll makes Earth as a whole more resistant to invasion, and with the aliens dictating the terms of engagement (for now) improved defenses across the board will be more useful while bring up we get more advanced technology.
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 06, 2015, 06:14:39 pm »

I strongly suggest to reconsider voting for better bullets.

1) Humanity nearly perfected gunpowder weapons. It is close to impossible to actually improve bullets.
2) Gunpowder weapons are a dead end of the tech tree. We wasted one revision action on it (did you see any effect?), lets not waste another
3) I assume that each consequent revision is less and less effective in game mechanics
4) It will not stop the invasion in South America (in fact nothing will stop it). The best we will get from this "improved defenses across the board"  one or two points of their warrior caste being killed
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 06, 2015, 06:23:24 pm »

Alright, I'm convinced.

Revise our submarine by adding a single powerful anti-dropship laser based on alien tech. This laser should be powered by submarine's nuclear reactor and use seawater for cooling. Remove half of torpedo tubes, mine laying equipment and, if necessary,  few vertical launch cells to free the space for necessary systems. While submarine is in a dock, upgrade its electronics and  optimizing them for anti-alien duties. 

+1. It's already managed to destroy some dropships, if this works it'll be a right terror.

South America might not be the best place for it though, since they've deployed so far inland, but that's something to worry about later.

TheLordofHouseRiley

• Bay Watcher
  • Cutting down the enemies of the emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 06, 2015, 06:47:27 pm »

Alright Im going to change my vote too Install a big ass laser on our sub

TheLordofHouseRiley

• Bay Watcher
  • Cutting down the enemies of the emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 06, 2015, 06:53:23 pm »

Also I think for next turn we should probably work on creating some form of laser resistant armor for our infantry. Try and level the playing field for them when it comes to ground engagements against the invaders

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 06, 2015, 08:04:10 pm »

Here is my plan. Feel free to comment, note my mistakes, suggest alternatives
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 10:00:55 am by Ukrainian Ranger »

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 06, 2015, 09:06:47 pm »

Here is my plan. Feel free to comment, note my mistakes, suggest alternatives

Spoiler: Top Secret (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 09:10:42 pm by Baffler »

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: September 07, 2015, 05:49:50 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 07, 2015, 08:44:41 am »

Improving ammunition further is a waste IMO, we'd be better off revising the weapons which fire it.
I'm also not convinced by the Submarine Laser. The aliens are already just deploying further inland and one sub can't cover all the oceans, so it's hit or miss whether it'll actually get deployed very often. If it does, primitive laser technology, probable poor design quality (it'll really stretch the boundaries of a revision phase) and the need for some method of protecting the mechanism from immersion in salt water (even if the weapon's not outside the submarine whilst diving seas can get rough when it's deployed) will really limit its effectiveness to the point where the HX-1 will probably be just as good, if not better. The only good thing is it'll give us a bit more laser engineering experience, but I'd rather use a design phase for our first laser weapon if we decide to go down that route.
I would much prefer using our revision phase to Reduce the cost of the Type 025 or Fix the J-31's engine problems, either of which will give long-lasting and valuable improvements to what will be the mainstay of our forces for the foreseeable future.
EDIT - I have no complaints with the preliminary battle plan, so+1 to that when the time comes.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 08:46:47 am by TopHat »
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 07, 2015, 10:25:39 am »

You are right that main idea behind revising a laser into a submarine is getting experience in laser weapons. Submarine will not become that much more useful.

I actually like boring but practical "make type 025 cheaper" slightly  more type but lasers is a good long term investments.

Research lasers + revision to get experience + one more research action of laser weapons and we can try to design land vehicle with our own laser because. See this turn as 5 phases design of a laser tank

1) We designed Type 025 and it will enter combat against enemy lasers allowing us to get experience in anti-laser armor (Real combat effect is modest. )
2) We are using revision action to get laser experience. (Real combat effect is negligible)
3) We are using research action to study solution of practical problems emerged during construction of our first laser (I think compact power storage allowing us at least one time shot weapon is our best route)
4) We are using design action to get a laser tank (or laser train, or laser boats, laser aircraft, laser infantry weapon or laser anything)
5) We revise flaws of the prototype
6) We use all production lines for building our first unit that has adequate weapon. (real battlefield impact)

I have an idea of laser weapon thing infantry weapon that stores enough energy for one shot and has cooling system that partly melts during the shot. Used weapons can be refurbished at factory. It is something to give to our infantry.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 07, 2015, 10:59:38 am »

I have an idea of laser weapon thing infantry weapon that stores enough energy for one shot and has cooling system that partly melts during the shot. Used weapons can be refurbished at factory. It is something to give to our infantry.

You mean like this thing, but a laser pulse instead of a missile? Or just disposable heavy laser cartridges?

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 07, 2015, 11:08:28 am »

Yep, something like that but in ~25-50kg weight range to be fired from a prone position. But it really depends on two upcoming rolls
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16