Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16

Author Topic: War of the Planets : Human thread : Research Q3 2025  (Read 13840 times)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: War of the Planets : Human thread : Design Q3 2025
« Reply #195 on: September 13, 2015, 12:37:56 pm »

Do we need to send a general to try to get another region to join us, or do we have others for that? And can we license our designs to other countries?

That is... meh.

They now got a tank with tons of raw penetration. Should we focus on ambush tactics instead?

Yeah, that went better than expected, but we still lost pretty handily. We need some way to deal with those tanks.

Our own lasers still aren't really to the point that we can deploy them in combat, we'd need prohibitively large batteries (like, compact car sized) to get a dozen shots off that are effective against infantry, or a single shot that'd destroy a tank. The alien ripoffs are more promising, but even those will run out pretty quickly before they have to run back to base to recharge, and they rely on captured materials to produce. I'm thinking we should either go with the alien ripoff or a more conventional system, but I don't have any ideas on how to actually deliver that system.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 13, 2015, 04:19:20 pm »

They got really great tank...

I prefer to go for one-shot anti-tank infantry laser to counter

What worries me more is troops distribution after those huge loses and getting more production lines....
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 14, 2015, 01:00:06 pm »

Hey, think positively! The submarine has now destroyed about one production-line turn of stuff!
I like the sound of a Man-Portable Anti-Tank Laser. It'd probably have to be pretty big and heavy, though, and the technology's a bit expensive for one-shot weapons. Maybe include some sort of [forgot the word] so we can plug it in to recharge following a battle?
I also like the idea of refitting the J-31 with a laser armament, or even designing a new jet with one inbuilt. Hey, why not do that?
Spoiler: J-33 (click to show/hide)
Essentially a heavily-upgraded J-31, to hopefully close the quality gap in the air war. They may be useful for knocking out hovertanks as well.
I have no idea of the necessary power involved so please correct me if we'll need a battery the size of a car or something :) We'll probably only get a few shots but the J-31 can only carry 10 missiles anyway so it shouldn't be crippling. The Invaders will probably be equipping their air forces with Gauss but I'd rather have anti-laser armour than not, even if it's only useful for a couple of turns (unless it's too heavy or something).
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 14, 2015, 01:21:02 pm »

Just as a note, the SMES is quite expensive, and whatever you design won't be a main line fighter.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 14, 2015, 01:48:02 pm »

I want something like this.
Alternatively we can go for a full laser tank
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: September 14, 2015, 02:36:57 pm »

On a side note, I think I forgot to mention. You got some more production lines for successfully defending Asia.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: September 14, 2015, 02:43:28 pm »

Two more lines to replace loses. Situation is less shitty than I expected

And one more idea that uses capacitor

It is meant to overload point defence of their hovertanks in air to ground role and provide some support for our J31s. Also, this drone stays useful if we fail to design a laser.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: September 14, 2015, 06:13:39 pm »

I like the J-33, but I feel like we can get it in a revision

Why don't we scale the drone up a bit, and make it carry the laser? Two for one, and I bet those tanks can't traverse fast enough to hit them either way.

Spoiler: Type 325 Combat Drone (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 06:16:07 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: September 14, 2015, 07:11:11 pm »

The copter is looking very slow. It is very easy to destroy by any laser from their infantry weaponry to point defence of their tanks to their drones. Machine-gun versions will die really fast

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: September 15, 2015, 12:33:45 am »

45kg? I thought it should be over a tonne.

That said I think drone technology should be good enough to lift something as heavy for a few meters .

ZWR-25 "Panther head" Laser Carrier
Though categorized as a "helicopter, unmanned", its more like a hull-down tank in practice. Its built around a one-ton laser mounted atop behind a casemate, with the hyperconductor assembly below so the weight is balanced vertically. On the bottom, there is only a cord for power supply, and four legs for "just in case", but is otherwise held up by four horizontal helicopter blades, not unlike a commercial quadricopter today, plus 4 auxiliary propellers built for small on-plane location adjustment. Like the StrV103, the laser has zero traverse. To move the laser, the whole assembly has to be moved around, but quadricopter technology should make this as easy as a breeze. It also sports a camera connected to a periscope on the very top of the structure so it contains basic seeking capacity when keeping a hull down position. It can be controlled by AI algorithms (that will coordinate peek-a-boo attacks) or be controlled by a room full of professional gamers who now put their skills into use.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 12:35:28 am by evilcherry »

TheLordofHouseRiley

• Bay Watcher
  • Cutting down the enemies of the emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 15, 2015, 12:05:47 pm »

Advanced Infantry Protection System Mk-1
The advanced Infantry Protection System Mk-1 or the AIPS1 system is designed to even the playing field between a regular human infantryman and our alien opposition. The primary design behind this suit is too give our infantry the capacity to engage the enemy in direct head on engagements by enabling them to no longer have to fear the enemies laser weapon systems. The system will employ a miniaturized version of the laser resistant armor found on the type 025 in a full body exo-suit for the soldier. Now under normal conditions this armor would be far to heavy to ever be practical this problem can be eliminated by integrating a powered exoskeleton into the suit allowing for it not only to be wearable by our average soldier but also to increase his strength and carrying capacity. Allowing for the integration of heavier weapon systems such as lasers into our infantry force.

Infantry Enhancement Program Mk-1
The infantry enhancement program Mk-1 otherwise known as IEP1 isn't so much a design of any new weapons of war fare but instead is a radical rethinking of infantry combat. The infantry enhancement program will utilize the latest in gene therapy and intensive training techniques to produce the most physically fit specimens humanity has ever seen. Couple that with intensive education on the alien threat strengths weakness strategies and techniques. It should enable our soldiers to level the playing field against the alien threat without a major investment of raw resources on our part.

In the now famous words of Sir William Napier "Infantry is the queen of battle" this doctrine of thinking has led me too the creation of these two designs. Because of my belief that no matter how far technology advances it is always going to be the infantry that decides the fate of the war, and currently we are decidedly weaker in the category of infantry with no way for our infantry to best the enemies in one on one engagements and attack enemy armored and air forces. While neither of these systems will completely correct the problem of the infantry. They are both steps in the right direction the AIPS1 not only enables our infantry to take a hit from the enemies weapons but it will also enable us to deploy our infantry with weapons not unlike that of our enemies. While the IEP1 enables our infantry to instead of matching the enemies firepower or technology to simply out skill them learning there weakness and building on our strengths.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 15, 2015, 12:33:41 pm »

Napier. A quote from when there are only three arms of an army. Are you sure?

Mechanized forced is what decides battles, except the occasional WMD. Infantry should be phased out if the enemy overtechs us by so much.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 15, 2015, 01:03:41 pm »

Going for better infantry is a way but I am worried that it is useless against their tanks...

Infantry Exoskeleton
Supercapacitor powered exoskeleton that greatly improves physical ability of human soldiers allowing them to run with a speed of a car, make high jumps, throw hand grenades really far and easily carry 12.7mm machinegun(s) or other heavy weaponry and\or additional armour plates.  Capacitor should have several ports to power energy weapons or other systems that require electricity.

This design doesn't try to make infantry immune to enemy laser weapons by creating walking tanks. Instead it allows us to use huge stockpiles of heavy weapons of humanity with a greater ease.

Yet my decision is:

I vote for
Aircraft-laser LL-1
Aviation laser designed to be used on a standard humanity aviation weapon mount allowing its use on standard fighters and helicopters. Meant to be used against a wide variety of targets, from  vulnerable parts of dropships to fighter drones to tanks.  Having its own capacitor and cooling systems it is one use weapon like a missile is. It can sustain only few second of fire. Should be as cheap as possible. Secondary design goal is to make LL-1s should be refurbishable at factory. Low cost laser is the main design goal

Feel free to propose another name :)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 01:05:24 pm by Ukrainian Ranger »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 15, 2015, 01:17:44 pm »

Votes would indeed be nice.

TheLordofHouseRiley

• Bay Watcher
  • Cutting down the enemies of the emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 15, 2015, 06:43:23 pm »

I still believe in the establishment of advanced systems for our infantry. Also of course we could provide the same equipment for mechanized infantry it may perhaps reduce the amounts of troops that can be carried in a APC or IFV but the increase in the effectiveness of the Infantry would be well worth the potential loss of numbers.
So my vote is going to go too
AIPS1
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16