Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: How far are you willing to go in order to enjoy a game?  (Read 9741 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How far are you willing to go in order to enjoy a game?
« Reply #60 on: August 12, 2015, 06:52:36 pm »

Ohh yeah I completely forgot about World of Warcrafts "I hope you know how to beat this!" raids... Where enemies have undisclosed gimmicks you have to know in advance.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 12, 2015, 07:04:56 pm »

This is somewhat similar, but doesn't really bother me: There are also games that are so old that they tell you to look up journal entries or the like in the manual, mainly because of memory limitations that existed at the time.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 12, 2015, 07:42:23 pm »

Ohh yeah I completely forgot about World of Warcrafts "I hope you know how to beat this!" raids... Where enemies have undisclosed gimmicks you have to know in advance.

What is this?  Its standard procedure to assume everyone knows wtf they doing in a dungeon/raid?  I guess in an old MMO like WoW...  Its like you are begging to die multiple times if you don't ask....
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 12, 2015, 09:08:19 pm »

What is this?  Its standard procedure to assume everyone knows wtf they doing in a dungeon/raid?  I guess in an old MMO like WoW...  Its like you are begging to die multiple times if you don't ask....

There are a FEW raid bosses who have mechanics that kill you if you play standardly. Mind you the developers smartened up IMMEDIATELY and stopped doing that after one season.

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 12, 2015, 09:46:12 pm »

All the guns are useful

Well ignoring the starting pistol which is one of the few weapons that fail to kill on an unarmored headshot. There are like 3 weapons that I'd say are "useless" in that there is never a reason you should buy it over another (except that they are awesome weapons).
Uh... the glock and usps/p2000 both kill with an unarmored headshot. I'm fairly certain every weapon kills in one hit for an unarmored headshot, except maybe the "crappy" smgs like the mp9 or the bizon, which if you get a headshot you'll definitely get a body shot or two which will kill. Hell every gun, literally every gun has its purpose. I mean take the dualies, which everyone seems to shun, and use them a few times on starter rounds, it's just as good as the tec9 except slightly less accurate, and armor pen doesn't really matter too much because you go for headshots. Even the heavy weapons are useful. The negev is crazy scary for tight corner spam if your enemy is hiding in smoke or already hurt, m249 is slightly less useful for spam but much more accurate... pretty much every gun is amazing for something. Autos basically beat anything except an awp in terms of long distance unless you get headshot by an AK. The only real letdown gun for me is the m4a1s, which I don't understand why everyone uses since it has 10 less bullets, costs more, and does the same damage as the m4... but almost everyone uses it so it has to have something going for it. Even the smgs are amazing. Half the time I just buy the mp9 or bizon and go faceroll a few people or hold a corner super close. I think the gun I probably consider the most useless is the ump, and that's just because I love the bizon/mp9 for smg usage, but I've seen plenty of people using it.
Collin Quay- [145.9]-broadcasts: As a professional doctor, I have to say, dodge the fucking meteors or you will die.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 12, 2015, 10:01:05 pm »

I just want to know if it has a P90 and if it's a good gun in the game. If not, why would I want to play it? :P
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 12, 2015, 10:25:32 pm »

i put up with DF long enough to learn how to play, so i guess i go pretty far

This.

But I do think that games, especially multiplayer games, should be able to stand on their own, and I feel that the people who look up optimized builds for them, again especially multiplayer games, before they even start them are cheating themselves out of the experience. Or worse, people that will yell at you for the slightest deviation from the "established meta." This variety of shithead seems to congregate around MOBA's these days, but no multiplayer game is completely immune.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 13, 2015, 12:34:25 am »

People generally use the m4a1s because of its higher accuracy, but the distinction is honestly pretty academic. I much prefer the higher ammo capacity of the m4a4.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 13, 2015, 01:06:27 am »

The thing is, as much as I like to bash games for requiring you to read guides or even outright need to go to a special school just to understand it.

It doesn't mean the game is bad... League of Legends isn't bad because you have to memorize every single item and hero in the game in order to be considered competent, it is more its caustic community policing it.

While I say this it isn't like "You need a guide" is nessisarily a good thing either. If a game outright requires a guide then it should state it. Point and Clicks that require a guide (mind you most people suck at them... I REALLY gotta start up my letsplay again...) is outright a bad thing because point and clicks are made or broken out of intuition and logic.

Likewise games that have hidden mechanics that kill you unless you read a guide is that either. It just depends on the transparency.

IVAN is probably the game I think is hurt the outright most by its guide requirement and demonstrates it perfectly. So it is a Roguelike and it is indeed difficult but the logic is rather straight forward and while you will have a few unavoidable deaths here and there, that isn't necessarily a flaw because each death sort of introduces you to the game's internal logic.

But here is how you win the game (at least without the cop out early ending)! First you need to build your wisdom and to do that you need to speak to people until you unlock an ability called "Sci-talk" which lets you raise wisdom by talking to different people. Then you need to get a item that lets you alter the materials of objects. Using the wisdom you unlocked you must transform your arms, legs, and equipment into end game materials that don't appear early in the game... so specifically you have to type in the name of materials so far into the game that it is impossible for you to know what they were.

Sci-Talk which isn't referred to in the instructions or elaborated on in the patch notes (yet, it is oddly alluded to in the instructions). This is dreadful because, and I hate to say this, but IVAN for the little of it that is good, is probably one of the best Roguelikes I ever played and if not for FTL and Pokémon Mystery Dungeon would probably be "The best" (If I was allowed to chop away the bad parts mind you). I never played a Roguelike before IVAN that was so intuitive... "Ohh I caught Leprosy from the zombies... hmm I better not hang around them".

The Issue with Roguelikes and their metagame requirement beyond how long the games can be... Is that... Often the solutions to problems are far earlier in the game. You can't win them just by being good at the game and learning how to play with each pass occasionally dying to a new mechanic that unfolds in front of you...

Lets just say... that when I put a "No Metaknowledge" challenge run on a Roguelike's message board (They couldn't do things like wish for items they haven't seen, use secret words that paralyze people, or use mechanics that are not in the instruction manual with the exclusion of ones that are just flat out logical) was mostly met with "That is impossible!"... Mind you it was IVAN...

Now a Roguelike that Dwarf Fortress where it has a dreadful UI in some places but you can fiddle with it and learn it after a while except for a few mechanics... Links the instructions right in the forums. But more to the point it doesn't kind of flood you with nonsense that you could have avoided if you had psychic powers...

ejseto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 13, 2015, 01:19:27 am »

I think it's cute that you think you're good though.

Are you being Ironic?

Because... You demonstrate the League of Legends Hostility so well. Heck even right down to calling me a bad player because you knew something I didn't.

No. I'm responding in kind. Since it's obvious you have no intention of having a serious, rational, civil discussion.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 13, 2015, 01:25:11 am »

You're being pretty hostile, ejseto.
One of the many reasons I'm scared of even thinking of going in an online LoL match.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 13, 2015, 01:49:36 am »

One of the many reasons I'm scared of even thinking of going in an online LoL match.

Usually I wouldn't get involved. But, you are (ejseto) being rather hostile.

Anyway, I think another kinda annoying thing is needing to download unofficial patches for games to get to work as they remove bugs and major glitches and what not. Its not a big deal, but it should sorta already just be part of the game...you know? Like I don't mind modding at all. Its just...an unofficial patch should sorta be part of it, unless the company is shut down or something and then it isn't able to be put in cause no one left to work on the game. But like bethesda is pretty famous for leaving it up to people to fix all their bugs and stuff lol.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 13, 2015, 02:03:40 am »

I must third this sentiment.

That particular remark is why I loathe playing pubs (public match) on any MOBA game, because if anyone isn't really doing anything they think is right, they're quick to shoot them down with a thinly-veiled insult.

So yep. MOBA mentality there.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 13, 2015, 09:13:35 am »

Not very much

This is likely why I've not gotten into the more complex Paradox games. Love the concept, heavily dislike working my way through the endless spreadsheets/micromanagement.

I make a notable exception for some few select games, like Dwarf Fortress. But as time goes by, I tend to be more into games where I get at least an 1:1 exchange rate in input/gratification. 

Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 13, 2015, 11:38:29 am »

Anyway, I think another kinda annoying thing is needing to download unofficial patches for games to get to work as they remove bugs and major glitches and what not. Its not a big deal, but it should sorta already just be part of the game...you know? Like I don't mind modding at all. Its just...an unofficial patch should sorta be part of it, unless the company is shut down or something and then it isn't able to be put in cause no one left to work on the game. But like bethesda is pretty famous for leaving it up to people to fix all their bugs and stuff lol.

It's a rational decision they make because they're driven by the need to stay profitable and pay their employees (and etc), and therefore decide they can only devote so much resources to a game, whereas the people making unofficial patches have other non-capitalism-based motivations. Some games have perpetual support, strong in-house bugfixing efforts, and such. MMOs tend to, TF2 does, CK2 is another example due to the constant DLC bringing in more money which funds more DLC (and bugfixing, although the big changes can bring bugs too).

For a counter-example: Star Trek Online, where Cryptic is constantly pushing updates to the live servers without fixing gamebreaking issues the test servers have found. I don't know if they're incompetent, or have deadlines set by management and just can't fix the issues they introduce in the time they're given, or if they just don't give a shit.

As for people being hostile, if the LoL community wants their game to be a cesspool of hate, that's fine. I have no problem with it. I just won't play it. Maybe they'll eventually realize that being rude and insulting just makes people reflexively resistant to their argument. Maybe they won't. (When dealing with someone who tries to give advice this way, I have to turn off my emotions and think about what they're saying, because sometimes it's actually good advice, and they don't know how to not be rude.  :P)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6