Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 21

Author Topic: The Far West-Ch.1/Light for Some-others, A Deeper Darkness (Game thread)  (Read 21874 times)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
Re: The Far West-Ch.1/A handful of Straw (Game thread)
« Reply #90 on: August 17, 2015, 11:33:15 am »

Vic has no time to wrestle with the controls and just stands so her left heel is pressing down on the blue switch as she faces the bandit coming toward her. She won't attempt any fancy finishing blows; just parry and attack when an opening presents itself.

Vic readies herself to defend...backwards, from a sitting position. Sort of awkward...but, it's a good idea, because the other bandit not otherwise occupied with kicking Sal's teeth in comes for her, knife glinting in the sunlight.

"You shoulda stayed out of this..." He growls. Swinging his knife downwards, toward her heart...

*Clang*

Her fine Imperial Steel deflects the edge of the knife cleanly, with a ringing retort. The man stumbles, off balance.

Sal grits his teeth as the woman kicks him, bringing his revolver around. "You just made a big mistake, ma'am."

Action: Bring my revolver around and shoot her.

Sal feels his anger-an old, unloved acquaintance-rise up within him. His lips curl into a snarl as he levels his gun at the cocky, arrogant Imperial woman, pulls back the hammer...and curses as her knife drives into the flesh of his right arm, spoiling his aim-the wound is superficial, but he flinches with pain and the bullet goes wild, firing downwards into the roof of the cab, which he notices is not armored like the sides are, huh...damn, it's too close for gunwork. He should have known better!

((Really, ranged attacks get a penalty in melee. On the other hand, everyone in wuxia knows martial arts. :P))

The woman bandit raises her knife again, higher, higher, like an executioners blade...

Action: Nudge Sal awaaaay and instead occupy his position, using bow and arrow to -non-lethally take down- any bandits attacking the Warden! (Along with probably emphasizing my point about the bandit leader guy man--UNLESS Sal can do it for me instead!)

Hiraya notes the man is tussling with a lithe female bandit-there's a ping of a wild gunshot a curse of pain. She's not sure fighting him for his position is a wise move, though she could probably shoot an arrow past in him if he held still...it'd be a risky shot, however.

((This is a disputed action, and requires Sal's input to continue. He can either give way, or resist you, or ignore you-and you push him out of the way, change your action, or just fire past him. Up to you both.))

Meanwhile, in the carriage...

Those sitting out probably feel fairly safe, until a wildly fired bullet echoes from the roof, ricocheting off the walls in a series of unnerving tings. The sound ends with a crunch and a gasp...and Immanuel Jade realizes after a moment the blood on him is not his own. The bullet struck Jun right in the head, giving him a more merciful death then he probably deserved. He's sitting on a dead man. What are the chances?

Wen-Li pales, behind her mask. No one sees.

Jun Jones is dead. Pity about the bounty, then.

Meanwhile, the bandits outside are unaware of this, and continue to close on the carriage.  One more jumps onto the sides and clambers up, long axe glinting.

"...Careful, Monty, these folk look tough..." He says, speaking seemingly to thin air.

Showing some inventiveness, four more bandits ride on either side of the wagon-they begin hacking at the wheels of the carriage with axes and swords! They'll no doubt do some damage if allowed to continue...

As if things couldn't get any worse Vic notices there is a large canyon rapidly approaching the carriage she is currently driving. Thankfully, the canyon is traversed by a well made, sturdy wooden bridge! Unfortunately, the bridge is on fire, plumes of smoke rising into the air-white smoke, because of course they were smart enough not to burn a signal fire that was too easy to notice. Luckily, it doesn't seem to have collapsed yet! Sadly, it probably will collapse very soon.

Should she risk going over the bridge to lose the mess of bandits, or turn aside while she can? After dealing with the knife man, and all. He still looks pretty angry.

Don't ask me! I'm just the narrator.

Spoiler: Enemies(3+) (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 11:39:12 am by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 17, 2015, 12:06:57 pm »

Sal grunts as the stiletto blade passes down the side of his arm, and drops his revolver into the carriage. It lands with a clang, knocking Sal out of his red haze, and his mind goes into overdrive, looking for a way out. He spots the stiletto knife, raised above his head by the bandit, and realizes he only has moments. Doing an inventory of what he's carrying with him, Sal's heart begins to sink. The tiny pack knife he carries wouldn't be a good weapon, even if he could get it out in the moments he had, and his only other weapon is on the floor.

Suddenly, Sal's thoughts dart to the rope on his belt. Wrangler's rope, a must-have for cowboys. The tough, coarse fiber is coiled tightly enough that a stabbing stiletto would have trouble piercing all the way through, probably getting stuck. He quickly pulls the coil off his belt, raising it above his head, and hopes for the best.

Action: Drop revolver into the carriage, pull Wrangler's Rope off of belt, and try to block the stiletto strike. If that succeeds, and the blade is stuck in the rope, yank the rope towards myself with all the strength I can muster. Either she'll be disarmed, or she'll, hopefully, be pulled off her feet.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 17, 2015, 12:11:19 pm »

Immanuel Jade looks at the body of the Young Man, and after but a second of consideration starts to go through his pockets.

Action: see if our dead friend has anything good on him. Steal anything of value or relevance.

As soon as he's done, he turns to the people grouped around the hatch.

"You can tell the gentlemen that their man is dead!" he informs whoever happens to be there in a categorical tone. "Deader than dead, in fact!"

Action, cont.: inform the people on the top of the carriage of the main man's demise.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 17, 2015, 12:28:16 pm »

Immanuel Jade, ever considerate of the dead, quickly goes through the mans pockets. Pretty much nothing, of course-he was taken prisoner, and the Bounty Hunter probably only gave him time to put on a pair of pants.

Pretty much nothing isn't entirely nothing, however. He finds a small scrap of paper rolled into the mans collar. It's got something written on it...

The Water is bad, so only Drink Whiskey in the Citrus Wind, one mug each for four times Mr. Carrows Fingers and toes, while minding the Red Ladies Temper. Charm her nicely, don't end up inside her without enough to pay! She has a lot of pride, that lady, and bears no ribbing-but, make sure to peek under her skirt before you turn in for the night. Or, you'll have to be turned in and out for the night. Wire Bend, Story End.

Intriguing. He no doubt fancied himself a poet.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 17, 2015, 12:37:50 pm »

Immanuel Jade examines the paper retrieved from Jun's mysteriously existent collar, committing its contents to memory before putting it in his own pocket discreetly.

Thoughts: what are these obvious clues pointing toward? Jun Jones' apparently impressive treasure, one would guess, but is anything of it recognizable to one such as Immanuel Jade? Drywater, Whiskey Baddow, the southern wind, possibly a reference to the west... where would this trail lead?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 12:45:48 pm by Harry Baldman »

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 17, 2015, 12:48:36 pm »

Immanuel Jade sees no obvious clues...yet, he's sure the answer is right in front of him.

He can only assume that the riddle is linear-starting with a large, obvious landmark one would find, then narrowing down the location with the ensuing clues-leading to the 'Red Lady' which might be anything, but he's sure it's something dangerous. There's are obviously hints on how to avoid that danger, if Jun felt safe enough to bury a potential treasure there.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 17, 2015, 01:55:13 pm »

Vic goes for the ankles with a quick slash.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 19, 2015, 04:01:19 pm »

"Hmm." said the bard, staring beneath her mask at the dead man. "Well, that was... unpleasantly sudden. It might be good to let the other bandits know, there. Perhaps you should throw him out the back?"

You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 19, 2015, 04:41:25 pm »

"Hmm." said the bard, staring beneath her mask at the dead man. "Well, that was... unpleasantly sudden. It might be good to let the other bandits know, there. Perhaps you should throw him out the back?"

"That would be very expedient, yes," says Immanuel Jade coldly. "The bounty is already lost, I presume."

Action: shuffle Jun Jones' body to the rear exit, and open the door while hugging the wall next to it, letting the body slide out on its slick blood.

"The water is bad, so only drink whiskey in the citrus wind, one mug each for four times Mr. Carrow's fingers and toes while minding the red lady's temper. Charm her nicely, don't end up inside her without enough to pay. She has a lot of pride, that lady, and bears no ribbing, but make sure to peek under her skirt before you turn in for the night. Or you'll have to be turned in and out for the night. Wire bend, story end," he mechanically repeats as he shuffles the corpse around. "Does that make you think of anything, madam?"

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 24, 2015, 09:51:00 am »

Vic goes for the ankles with a quick slash.

*Shliiing*!

The man jumps back with a surprised grunt, avoiding a nasty cut by mere inches-he replies with another clumsy, wide slash that Vic herself just manages to duck. She notices a few threads of her fine black hair floating past her field of vision. Close one...

There is a commotion behind him, similar to the sound you heard earlier when the driver was shot-a clump, a bump, and a sound like sack of laundry being run over. The man looks around, scowls, and turns back to Vic.

"...That just ain't right! Oh, we'll meet again, won't we just." he promises her, hieing to the side of the carriage and onto the horse of a nearby ally.

Action: Drop revolver into the carriage, pull Wrangler's Rope off of belt, and try to block the stiletto strike. If that succeeds, and the blade is stuck in the rope, yank the rope towards myself with all the strength I can muster. Either she'll be disarmed, or she'll, hopefully, be pulled off her feet.

The revolver drops back into the carriage with a thump, and thankfully it doesn't go off again, as it certainly could have...

At this point the dagger is angling closer and closer, and he deftly flicks his rope a handspan, like trying to rope a fly...catching the womans wrist! He immediately twists the rope (and being the recipient of many rope burns, he knows it must hurt like hell) around her hand, and in a moment the blade is forced from her hand-it drops down into the carriage...narrowly missing Hiraya, who was standing there for some reason. It embeds itself into the floor with a hollow thud.

Having achieved good leverage, he attempts to yank the woman off her feet...but, she's a lot stronger than she looks. She manages to keep her feet, fighting like a Yěmāo*, almost pulling Sal right out of the carriage. She seems very angry, but seems to be enjoying the struggle-if her cagey grin is any evidence.

"What a barbarian." She mutters. There is a commotion behind you, and suddenly the woman curses. The bandits on top of the carriage jump off onto the horses of nearby friends, abandoning her.

"...Don't leave me here you bastards!"

Action: shuffle Jun Jones' body to the rear exit, and open the door while hugging the wall next to it, letting the body slide out on its slick blood.

...mechanically repeats as he shuffles the corpse around. "Does that make you think of anything, madam?"

The bard is silent behind her many masks, either unable or unwilling to answer you. Shrugging, you hastily unlatch the rear of the carriage, then drag toss the corpse outside. It makes quite a mess.

Seeing their leader dead seems to take the fight out of the bandits-most of them wheel around and converge on the body. The other two bandits hop onto nearby horses, and the ones hacking at the carriage also veer off-maybe because the carriage it still careening toward the burning bridge.

*A Wildcat

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 24, 2015, 10:05:12 am »

"Shit. Where were the brakes again...?" Vic wasn't sure why they broke off, but right now her concern was not riding off of a burning bridge.

Vic takes her foot off of the blue pedal and pulls the lever all the way back.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 24, 2015, 10:05:31 am »

Sal smiles as the woman struggles, and tries to find the strength to pull her off her feet. Suddenly, he notices the other bandits begin to leave, and grunts. The young cowboy lets go of the rope with his left hand, quickly grabbing her wrist and unravelling the rope, before waving her off with a half-smile. "Sorry I was so uncivil, miss, but you did try to stab me. Good luck wherever y'all end up. Hopefully, next time we meet, it won't be at knifepoint." If the woman leaves, Sal then climbs up on top of the carriage, slowly and steadily walking towards the engine.

Action: Get the rope off of the bandit's wrist and let her escape, after a bit of witty banter. No reason to kill her, if she's going to leave. Then, if she leaves, climb up on the carriage and try to get to the engine.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 24, 2015, 12:01:46 pm »

"Shit. Where were the brakes again...?" Vic wasn't sure why they broke off, but right now her concern was not riding off of a burning bridge.

Vic takes her foot off of the blue pedal and pulls the lever all the way back.

Vic apparently learned her lesson from last time, about how to ease off the throttle slowly before hitting the brakes. All these tons of steel don't stop on a silver dollar, after all.

The carriage begins to slow down steadily.

Action: Get the rope off of the bandit's wrist and let her escape, after a bit of witty banter. No reason to kill her, if she's going to leave. Then, if she leaves, climb up on the carriage and try to get to the engine.

The woman seems surprised, then suspicious, then an emotion you can't totally decipher-perhaps a sort of bitter amusement, as if you had made a very funny, if very cruel joke at her expense. She steps back, looks for her knife on belt-realizes it's gone. This apparently defuses her battle fire.

"Well, you do have some manners then. A fair enough exchange, though next time I'd like if you let me hold the rope. Till next time we meet...in less dire straits, as they were...just ask for one Abbey Maclean. Sorry about trying to fillet you, sir. I'm a lot more pleasant when I've had my tea." She says dryly, yet companionably enough-rubbing her raw wrists. The woman then hops away without a backward glance on the slowing carriage, hitting the ground with a roll. Unsurprisingly, she doesn't go to rejoin the other bandits, instead hooks a stray horse and begins fleeing to the North.

The bandit riders in the distance are gathered around the body of their former leader. They seem to be having an argument, or perhaps just a heated conversation. Some are pointing to the carriage, others to the East, some to the South.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 24, 2015, 12:07:45 pm »

Vic climbed back on top of the carriage and saw Sal there. "What was all that thumping and banging around back here?"

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 24, 2015, 12:26:19 pm »

Action: Immanuel Jade closes his eyes, running his hands over his clothes, checking for blood.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 21