Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 21

Author Topic: The Far West-Ch.1/Light for Some-others, A Deeper Darkness (Game thread)  (Read 21882 times)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
Re: The Far West-Ch.1/A handful of Straw (Game thread)
« Reply #120 on: August 25, 2015, 11:10:28 am »

Action: since the bridge is out, Immanuel Jade might as well steal some crucial fury-powered components out of the carriage and also one of the horses powering it. After that he shall follow after Victoria, utilizing the tamed power of horse to carry him to his destination faster.

Immanuel finds...a bit, but not alot. The woman surely did some damage to the undercarriage and more besides with her flailing at the controls, though he supposes it can't be helped. His little pocket tool comes in handy, though, as it always does. Otherwise this would be a lot more difficult.

Let's see...Alternating Current Electrosneezer...Imperial Cast Technoindicator...Electromagnetic Acid Spanker...Industrial-strength Hyperklein Bottle...a fisheye quad-fury multi-exchanger, nice find...

Immanuel gains +1 Steam Engine Parts

Edit

He also snags an little sorrel horse with a calm temper. It eyes him narrowly, as if smelling something off, but consents to be mounted. Have to ride bareback, though....
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 11:20:39 am by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 25, 2015, 01:08:27 pm »

Vic starts heading north alongside the canyon. If she figured things out right there would be a railroad in that direction - eventually - for her to take into town.
Action: Follow Victoria.

Victoria heads off, but quickly finds a pack forming behind her. She momentarily regrets both deciding to walk the whole way across the desert, and leaving the poor horses to die to the elements, be eaten by predators, or be stolen by bandits to be used cruelly, but it's also probably for the best. Horses can attract the wrong sort of attention. She wisely snags a horse of her own, and Sal does so as well. What a smart idea.

The journey onwards is a slow one, but they pass the time in silence, keeping an eye on the horizon. Nothing acosts them the first leg-they make good time, eventually crossing the canyon one by one where it narrows out to a handspan. From there, onto a dusty and well traveled main road, which they gladly take. It should lead to somewhere, certainly. It's generally pleasant weather on the first bit-suns not too harsh, road not too hard. This doesn't last, naturally. A strong wind blows in the cloud shadows from the east, flecked with fine golden dust-an Imperial Wind it's called. Cold and merciless, with the promise of those elusive riches.

An Imperial Wind always precipitates precipitation.

As the evening falls, the clouds gather and the rain begins to fall steady and true-drowsing the dusky sky in a deep, sapphire blue. You all may never see the oceans, true enough, but there are beauties in the West all their own. You can all see the flitting, dagger forms of the Shangyang's, or the Rainbirds, dance and spin among the clouds and lightning with perfect synchronicity. The big ones with the beautiful wings are the females, the medium sized ones are the males, the smaller clouds that ride just under the females wings, the youngest ones. They rarely bother human folk, despite their fearsome looks, though they have been known to harry airships, though seemingly only out of curiosity, not attack...all you've really been told from childhood was that they were guardians of the sky, the messengers of the Gods-generally peaceful, unless roused in defense of their young.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

In fact, they are rumored to rarely touch the ground at all-true travelers, they perhaps live in the skies and the seas, never reaching the middle Kingdom (that is, the Earth) except in death. All most of you know for sure is that they fly thousands of miles, from ocean to ocean, maybe-always following the storm clouds, which they may even be able to direct in some fashion. No one knows why, or even how they do this. Perhaps, an explanation would ruin the mystery, the wonder. Perhaps, some people would rather not know...

The rain falls, and the Shangyang's dance, and time marches on.

True dark is approaching as Vic spots something, off in the distance, through silvery, slanting sheets of rain-right off the main road. A small huddle of quickly built tents and a circle of wagons, outlined gently by a flick of a carefully sheltered camplight in the dark. A home, for someone. It's a ways off, and it's very doubtful they could have seen you through this storm, if they were watching.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 01:10:26 pm by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 25, 2015, 06:08:09 pm »

The bard had taken the time to play another song for the dead man while up ahead, the fury-eater had opened up the carriage's mechanics and various noises emanated from within.

She eyed the remaining horse, and it eyed her. But it'd be better than walking. Perhaps.

----

"Well, I think we should go say hello. Maybe I should go first, in case they're... twitchy. I can give them a friendly smile."
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 25, 2015, 06:20:14 pm »

The cowboy brings his horse to an expert halt, scanning the camp off in the distance, before turning to face the bard.

"Pro'lly honest folk. Settlers, or maybe laborers. Don't suppose you have those out East?"

Sal takes another look at the bard, noticing the way she's sitting in the saddle, and gives a shake of the head.

"You alright over there? Got that horse under control?"
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 26, 2015, 12:42:38 am »

"Let's check it out. The horses could do with a break," Vic said. The bard volunteered to go first, and she looked over at her. "Probably for the best. I ain't exactly a pretty face even in bad lighting." Victoria laughed somewhat bitterly and lifted what remained of her left arm, to show the limp end of the sleeve dangling from her coat as if to prove her point. "I'll be right behind you in case they ain't as friendly as we are."
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 26, 2015, 10:35:01 am »

Immanuel Jade has been following behind for some time now, a silhouette in the far distance behind the others, occasionally veering off the path of the ones leading ahead, sometimes disappearing entirely from sight. As he starts to approach closer, it takes him very long to catch up - like some form of animate mirage, he seems to have been much further away than he first appeared.

Action: arrive among the others.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 26, 2015, 11:03:40 am »

The group rides on, approaching the camp at a careful pace-so as not to alarm anyone. The rain beats down relentlessly, sparing only the bard-who is perfectly protected by her umbrella. Not a drop of water spoils her dress.

No movement at first. Only a sort of vague feeling of being watched. Closer now, they make out the strange design of the tents and wagons. They seem a bit offsized for human folk, too wide and low...and their are strange totems hanging over the door, seemingly made of cunningly woven hoops of willow bark in a sort of net shape, with trailing feathers and beads.

Vic and Wen-Li recognize them, however-these are Horsefolk tents.

The sort of demi-animal-humanoids species that once inhabited the continent the Empire has claimed have been driven further and further East over the years, the original natives of the land. They were scarce before, and even scarcer now-collectively, they are called 'Spirit People', and some believe they inhabit the lines between man, spirit, and animal for some divine reason or the other. Indeed, many of them were able to take one form or the other, or a mix of the two. Most well known, due to the Succession War, were Horsefolk, Ravenfolk and Foxfolk-and the myths about their powers and abilities are as varied as their forms-there are, or were, many more sorts once upon a time. Most of them seemed to be able to shift their forms from animal to human to something in between, though, was generally agreed.

The Spirit People in majority had been technically allied with the Periphery during the war (they were said to have shared their secrets with the border dwellers), after having managed to find peace with each other-though some fought for the Empire as well. None were spared after the Wars end, however-no matter which side they fought on, they lost. The Empire tends to exterminate them now, when they can catch them. Already, they are becoming more myth than reality.

Vic
Spoiler: remembers (click to show/hide)

Wen-Li
Spoiler: remembers (click to show/hide)

The Rest of you are just mystified, wondering what sort of people could be comfortable in tents like these.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 11:15:15 am by Dwarmin »

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 26, 2015, 12:47:27 pm »

Vic looked over at Wen-Li. "I'm not saying Spirit People are untrustworthy, but you might want to take everything they say with a grain of salt. They tend to change their minds on a whim." She was telling the bard this specifically because she had volunteered to be the face of the group.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 27, 2015, 02:51:54 pm »

Sal takes another look at the bard, noticing the way she's sitting in the saddle, and gives a shake of the head.

"You alright over there? Got that horse under control?"

"I'm managing. It's been a long time since I rode a horse, and now I remember why I stopped." she said ruefully. "I'll come up with a poetic metaphor for it later, I'm sure, but for now I'm just uncomfortable."

-----

"Ah..." she said softly at the sight of dreamcatchers. "Wandering spirits."

She raised her voice to call out the old greetings. If any of them knew of Orinost, or the Spirit People of that land, they would recognise it. This was about as flowery as the Kin-of-Stallions ever got. Even brutal honesty has its rituals.

Which was it...? The kin-of-tricksters were thee of forests, thee of hollows. The kin-of-carrion were thee of skies, thee of branches. Ah, yes.

"Greetings, thee of plains, thee of mountains. Be the skies weep or the heavens glow, we greet thee."

Then she waited for their response. There wasn't so much a set reply, but a bit of politeness can go a long way. And it was a easy way to say "not Empire", which would be an easy route to being shot, stabbed, and trampled, the exact order varying.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 27, 2015, 03:22:59 pm »

After a few tense moments, a mans head and the lower body of an equine stick out of the nearest tent, gently brushing the dream-snatchers to one side. He has a long face, dark green eyes, skin the color of the earth, and long, rust brown hair that trails down to his lower back in a tail are typical of a fine specimen his species. He gives you a sideways glance, his seemingly slack face showing a bit of thinking going on behind it.

"Greetings, thee of the stone-homes, thee of thee steel-roads.

...You know, you shouldn't be out in the rain. You are lost."
He declares, simply-not a question, a statement. Then he watches you once more, closely.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 27, 2015, 04:10:07 pm »

"I know the destination, but not the path." The bard shrugged expressively and waved a hand over her face.
Click!
And she was wearing a rather neutral mask - golden, with a dutiful expression.
"Our carriage was assaulted by bandits, the driver slain, and the bridge we were to take burnt. We went north to try to find another place to cross, and found nought but rain and you."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 27, 2015, 04:28:13 pm »

"... You shouldn't be in the rain. You want shelter. I wouldn't deny it to you, if it was yours. So, you will give my family gifts, in return for shelter. Someone is hurt. We can help. You are hungry, we can share. This is a fair trade. The gifts mean something. The gifts mean nothing. It's the heart of the trade that matters. You agree." He says, his features softening from obvious distrust, to something like pity. He looks at you more closely.

"...You were The Clan of Orinost...we wept for you. One hundred days and nights. A trail of tears, from there to here. You are one merely passing-by..." he says sadly, motioning for you to enter.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 27, 2015, 06:57:26 pm »

"I thank you for your tears, for ours ran dry a long time ago. Our hearts died with Orinost, perhaps, but our bodies move on.

As for the trade, I accept - I offer song and music, of which you are unlikely to hear again."

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 27, 2015, 06:58:47 pm »

Vic stepped forward. "I can offer protection, should you need it."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 27, 2015, 07:35:07 pm »

"I thank you for your tears, for ours ran dry a long time ago. Our hearts died with Orinost, perhaps, but our bodies move on.

As for the trade, I accept - I offer song and music, of which you are unlikely to hear again."

He nods.

"This is a fine thing. Songs must be sung. Songs must be heard. They will not be forgotten by those left behind, when you have passed by. Your gift is a good one. You may pass."

Vic stepped forward. "I can offer protection, should you need it."

The Horsefolk seems less courteous to Vic, however. The Bard would have realized, the Spirit Folk usually hear nothing much after the words like 'but', and 'should'. He gives her what's best described as a mild glower.

"We can defend ourselves. We have always done so. We always will. Eventually, we will not. You are not a hound, or a horse-you are like a wolf. I honor the spirit of the wolf because she is what she is, but I would not let a wolf guard my children-no matter how long her fangs, or fierce her growl.

You understand me. Yes. Yet, you keep good company. So, come in out of the shadow of the rain, wolf. Make songs of your own, if you have the voices within you."
he says brusquely. "Eat with us, break our bread, drink our wine with greed. *chuckle* Tonight, you will not bear your fangs at us. Tomorrow, you can find someone to eat, for breakfast." He says, with an air of dry amusement.

He turns to Sal and Immanuel.

"The others are wise to hold their speech. They must offer words and gifts. Quick now. This is a good trade. We are agreed. Let us not linger out here. One can die of a rain chill. It is not a good death." He says curtly, motioning with two fingers in a 'hurry up' gesture. Apparently he has picked up some human affectations.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 21