Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21

Author Topic: The Far West-Ch.1/Light for Some-others, A Deeper Darkness (Game thread)  (Read 21803 times)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=152408.msg6422223#msg6422223 --> OOC Thread

The trip Eastwards to Sevenfork was smoother than any of the strangers anticipated-the eight wheel, eight room carriage, driven by both powerful steam engines, and reliable horse power, surprisingly free of jostling and bumping. Their drinks-cheap, thin, military issue beer-were not even slightly disturbed. House Grunbremoch may have a reputation for relentlessness, but they do make fine rides, it seems-even if they stint on the amenities. Paper folding screens provide a patina of privacy between the rooms, and there are no true beds, merely small couches for resting-these screens lack the sort of decoration, or embellishment which you would expect in any proper Imperial fashion. Small, iron-barred windows give a carefully controlled view of the Far West outside, rattling by-mostly endless grey dust, yellow grass, blue skies...not much to see, but a few of these strangers keep an eye out all the same. Not much can turn to something much pretty quickly.

The company is certainly interesting, though, those that have showed themselves. A toothless Jade swindler-type who looks to wear his stolen clothes with a sort of obscene pride and a scarifying air...a lithe, masked woman in a red poncho, wielding a strange instrument, from which the sounds can be heard from her room, as she tinkers with it...a young man who seems like he'd be more comfortable on a horse, than lounging in a carriage...and perhaps at least three others, hidden behind their privacy screens. The corridor in between the rooms is painfully narrow, only able to admit one person at a time, or perhaps two contortionists. Still, they could have talked to one another, if they wished. It had been a long run, and entering the dogleg final miles toward Sevenfork, idleness was natural. Any trip where you weren't shot up, or held for ransom, tended to become boring over time...

Immanuel Jade (Harry Baldman)

Spoiler: Inventory (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Journal (click to show/hide)

Wen-Li Dulcette the Wind-tossed Blossom (Giglamesh)

Sai Lu (Playergamer)

Victoria Dyson (Serconman)

Hiraya Mawari (Tiru)

« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 01:56:55 pm by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
Re: The Far West-Ch.1/A handful of Straw (Game thread)
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 03:16:01 pm »

Sal Liu stood in his room, staring out the window at the endless landscape.  He tapped his foot restlessly, watching the grassy prairie fly by. "Good land for cattle," he mused. He chuckled, mentally adding "Shame nobody drives herds out here. Too much like work." Sal wasn't sure why he hopped on this train. He'd been in town, counting his coins in the tavern after bringing in a herd, when somebody pulled up a chair next to him. The man said he knew about Sal's father, and he'd trade a lead for a drink or two. The man explained that an old "friend" of his, one of the Imperials who had arrested Sam Liu, had since settled down in Sevenfork. Sal got the man's name from the drunk, before buying him a bottle of whisky, finding a stable for his horse, and jumping on the first Eastward train.

Sal drops heavily onto the couch, thinking about his plan. "I've got a good life. Why am I even going to Sevenfork? I should just let it go, he's gone" He shrugs off the thought after a few moments. "I need to know what happened. I need something better then "He was arrested, you'll never see him again"." He walks to the door, grabbing his hat on the way, and steps out into the corridor. He dons his hat, smiling, before speaking to anyone who may be in the corridor. "Need some fresh air. Do they have out here?"
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 03:35:26 pm »

In the corridor the shape of a man stands stock still, almost as if frozen in place. He doesn't seem to have been going anywhere, and as Sal appears he seems to not notice him immediately - only as he speaks does his gaze, up until then staring off into the distance, focus upon the man. He nods his head forward, tilting it slightly as he grins awkwardly and slowly blinks.

"Unfortunately not," he says politely. "The dust flies up everywhere at this time of day," he elaborates. His voice lowers to a dry croak that scratches at the eardrums in an unusually literal sense. "Other things, too."

He raises his nose and sniffs at the air slowly and thoughtfully, then nods.

"Immanuel Jade," he says, widening his eyes and leaving his toothless mouth slightly open. He starts to extend a hand, but then stops, placing both hands behind his back, twisting himself uncomfortably.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 05:36:49 pm »

Wen-Li, for her part, had left her screen  open, and regularly, the sound of notes would drift out in to the corridor...

The parasol is folded, leant up across the window to get what sun it could, and incidentally framing her in shadow.

She tried a chord and adjusted a fret a tad, then played another.
"Perhaps a door at the rear will assuage you, my friend, but the Jade Man has the truth of it. Plenty of dust in the air, dancing in the wind, and occasionally worse things beside. But wouldn't that be interesting?

Wen-Li Dulcette, just a blossom dancing on the same winds. Pleased to meet you. "

You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2015, 06:09:25 pm »

Sal removes his hat when the musician introduces herself, holding it by the brim, and introduces himself. "Sal Liu. I drive cattle. Pleasure's all mine."

Sal moves to the nearest window, peering outside the carriage, and watches as the prairie blows past. "Beautiful country. Plenty of grass and water. Seems awfully empty, though. I'd expect a few ranches, or at least some homesteads, even here."
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 07:11:26 pm by Playergamer »
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2015, 06:27:38 pm »

Sal can only think the lack of homesteads and ranches are due to the rise of the bandit armies in the years before, after the end of the War, and the Rangers fall-this close to the 'Last Horizon', people don't live in any sort of peace, and only the hardiest and bravest of pioneers choose to live away from the relative safety of the cities. He knows these Bandit Armies typically bully innocent villages and towns into paying them tribute-the size of these armies requires a good deal of upkeep, after all. He knows because he's seen it himself. In return, they protect their 'income' from the other criminals, which is a dubious sort of honor-but, when the Empire and the Steam Barons can't be bothered to protect you, most believe any protection is better than none. Still, being fought over by a horde of vicious Hu Lang* is never a pleasant situation, since whoever wins eats you anyway...and, those who defy the Bandit Armies entirely suffer vicious reprisal, naturally. You've heard tales to chill your blood...

It's never been easy to live in the Far West, and these days it's even harder than it's ever been. He never thought it was this bad, though.

*Jackals
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2015, 01:54:53 am »

The Jade gives a polite bow in the direction of the musician's room, then slinks back into his own while still bowed with a level stride, apparently distracted from whatever consideration he was engaging in out here. The curtain closes behind him, a harmonic, single wave of motion passing along its surface from the bottom up. The last to disappear from sight is his shadow, which lingers a little on the floor, then retreats into the room as well.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2015, 10:15:46 am »

A young mans voice speaks out from the front of the carriage. It addresses the person across the hall, both of whom have not revealed themselves. There is a slight chink of metal on metal.

"...Hey Warden, do you mind if I introduce myself to these nice folks? I figure I should get as much use out of my voice as I can, while I can, you know." He says brightly, in a cheerfully relentless manner.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2015, 10:37:07 am »

Victoria raised her head from her contemplations and put her hand on the grip of the revolver across her chest. "...Any particular reason you want to talk? Because if you have any bright ideas about asking them to help rén zhā* like you escape, I'll kneecap you and then I'll gag you." Her voice was quiet, her tone straightforward - there was no menace, because there didn't need to be; Jun knew damn well she would do exactly what she said she would if she thought it was necessary.

She left her cabin and stood in the door of his to fix him with a cold stare. "Ain't no call to be bothering decent folk with your pìhuà**. Worry about making yourself comfortable while you can, before your neck gets stretched."

*scum
**bullshit
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2015, 10:58:10 am »

Sal stood in the corridor as the Jade man walked away, and the musician returned to her instrument. When the prisoner starts speaking in the front of the carriage, he gazes at the room the voice is coming from. As Victoria steps out of her room, he watches her for a moment, noticing the numerous weapons she's carrying, before deciding she's probably a bounty hunter. He decides to join in to the conversation, if from the rear of the carriage.

"I bet there's a story there. You certainly don't look like a Marshal, least not from here."

After speaking, Sal walks to the rear of the carriage, looking to see if the rear door opens to the outside. Sal needs some fresh air, after being trapped in this carriage.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2015, 11:03:28 am »

The voice seems unperturbed. Victoria notes the man lives up to his nickname-he's certainly young looking, handsome, in a offbeat sort of way, even innocent looking-open, pleasant features, coal black hair and wide, guileless, dusty green eyes. He looks like the sort of slackoff young fellow you see hanging around in packs around town, essentially harmless, but he might steal or break something if he can get away with it. A glint in his eyes, the edge of his smile, and how he carries himself suggests he's not quite as innocent as he seems, though.

"...I doubt you'd risk me bleeding to death. I'm needed, you see-they need something from me, before they set me to dance. Otherwise, why didn't they offer half the bounty, just for my handsome head? It'd be easier to carry, certainly. Heh. And, anyway, I think you want that Golden Talon, a bit too much for that. Maybe need it a bit too much. I know the feeling.

Also, I just wanted to talk-how can I plan anything, you sitting right there? Heh. I can't see the lady with the guitar, for example, but I can smell her. It's a good smell, probably the last I'll ever have of that particular, most heavenly female scent. I wanted to ask her name, where she came from, hows the weather. And, that young man who sounds of fresh and innocent, like myself. I'd ask where he came from, what he plans to do..."
He says, sounding vastly amused.

Sal stood in the corridor as the Jade man walked away, and the musician returned to her instrument. When the prisoner starts speaking in the front of the carriage, he gazes at the room the voice is coming from. As Victoria steps out of her room, he watches her for a moment, noticing the numerous weapons she's carrying, before deciding she's probably a bounty hunter. He decides to join in to the conversation, if from the rear of the carriage.

"I bet there's a story there. You certainly don't look like a Marshal, least not from here."

After speaking, Sal walks to the rear of the carriage, looking to see if the rear door opens to the outside. Sal needs some fresh air, after being trapped in this carriage.

"There is a story, and I'd love to tell it to you. I've got nothing but time, after all." The Young Man says cheerfully, before Victoria can answer.

Sal notes he could undo the heavy locks and bolts holding the rear door shut-it, and a ceiling hatch being the only way leave the carriage-but, if did so right now he'd likely break many bones. Since the carriage is currently in motion. He might consider asking the driver to stop before doing so.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2015, 11:14:43 am »

"I could just kick your knees in. Ain't gotta shoot 'em. Less messy that way anyway," Vic said mildly. "And don't be telling folk about smelling them. I oughtta box your ears just for being a creep." She turned to Sal. "Yeah, there is a story, and I ain't a Marshall. Might as well let him tell it, him being so interested in flapping his gums." Vic leaned on the wall and gave Jun a shrug as if to say 'start talking'.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2015, 11:45:39 am »

"Break my poor legs? Then, you'd have to carry me. That could be pleasant for me, I suppose." He says with a canny grin.

"...Anyways, let me tell you the story I had in mind. Me, I'm not anyone important. All I done since my dear Fuqin* threw me out when I was a boy, not much older than you-was try to survive, like any man. Tried to make my way, my way. I only wanted a little money, you see. A little food in my belly, a roof over my head, a skirt or two and a bottle of something strong, to whittle the nights away...sure, some people got the bad end of the deal. I never meant any of it personally, no. Sadly, I then got with certain people, who led me on a stranger path. I did some real wrongs, then, I'm not proud of.

Ain't no ever paid me much attention, though, until my friends knocked over a House Laers Gold Wagon. They'll want me for the names, and where they think I hid my share of the gold...well, I suppose I'll see how much I'm worth in pain to buy."
He says, with a certain sort of pride. Assuming he's telling the truth, hanging might be a mercy compared to what's coming next...House Laers is considered as ruthless as any bandit gang, when crossed.

"I swear, ma'am, I wasn't even there when they did it! Why, I was just sleeping off a three day drun...er, a long rest when you kicked in my door, all in a rude fashion. You even shot that poor girl with the freckles, and the dark red hair, though-I admit she did go for my gun on the nightstand...shame, really, but I wonder that she was so afraid of, to think you were there for her and not me. Heh. A real waste, that..."

*Father

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2015, 11:57:57 am »

"She should have known you don't pull iron unless you plan to use it. She ain't my concern anyway." Vic shrugged with her left shoulder, pretty much the only part of that arm left. "I hope you ain't trying to lure someone in with a 'free me and we'll go split the gold' kind of tale, or else you'll be getting an early nap before we get to town."

Victoria turned her attention for a moment to Sal. "I wouldn't put much stock in what this lǎoyóutiáo* says if I were you, stranger."

*liar

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2015, 12:02:25 pm »

"Hey stranger, don't let her tell you what to do. Why would a condemned man lie, anyways? I'm just saying I know things that could be worth more, than the pity poor bounty you'll get for tacking my hide on the wall. It was a lot of gold we, er they took. They didn't even bother to lock the box-or so my friends told me, later on-it was just there for the taking. Like they couldn't imagine anyone who dared steal from them.

You know, just talking to talk."
He says with a smirk.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21