Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11

Author Topic: The Last Survivors  (Read 14578 times)

10terrapin01

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS] [DF_HACK:APPALLING][USE_EXPLOIT:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Survivors
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2015, 12:09:45 am »

Here's the write-up, I am recovering my DFFD password at the moment.

When declaring that the fort we were to reside in was to be a ‘community fort’, I immediately volunteered myself to help lead.  Only after I had secured my position as next in line to lead the fort was I told that ‘Community Fort’ was only a manner of speech.  Nonetheless, I managed to wriggle myself into a position of power.  As winter arrives and the rule of Gatewealthy is handed off to me, I am warned not to run the fort into the ground.  I am confused.  We are dwarves, it is only natural to expand deeper into the earth!  I take it the reason we have not flourished is because out previous ruler was a surface lover.  He even complimented the trees on their color!
My first order of business is to slay some of the surrounding trees.  The fires of the forges will run hot, and the coal we smelt will not be enough.  I order Lord Brassroast’s ‘platinum coffin’ to be made.  Despite his elfish ways that suggest he be buried in a wooden casket, I shall honor his wishes and entomb him as he desired. 
It is the 26th of Moonstone and Endok’s birthday!  Why do I care? Normally I wouldn’t, but this is her twelfth birthed, meaning she gets to enter the workforce.  We are short on engravers(competent or otherwise) and this place is just too rough.  We are dwarves, stoneworkers of the highest degree!  I tell her to get to work.
Speaking of getting to work, our miners idle far too frequently.  There are only two, for Armok’s sake!  I also feel as though the fort’s layout is a little…uninspired.  Truly, are we just underground humans?  Nay! We are dwarves!  In tandem with the new amounts of stone, our mason is pumping out blocks like no tomorrow. Not only will this train him, but give us supplies to construct a portal worthy of our name!  And once he his skill is legendary he will help furnish the fort with something more elegant than our current furniture.
The saying goes that many hands makes light work.  I say many hands means create more jobs, and with migrants come larger projects.  Of course since the gate isn’t quite finished the migrants just stroll right past it.  There are about 18 of them, which should greatly expedite construction.  Lorbam, one of our bone carvers (Why do we have those?) has decided to withdraw from society.  Being made out of bones and logs, I do not have high hopes for the creation.  As such I am not surprised when he emerges with an earring he calls Truthyouths.  Well done.
Spoiler: Migrants and the Wall (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: TruthYouths (click to show/hide)
It…it seems we’ve run out of rocks?  The catacombs are rather lacking, and I’d rather not mar earth in an unfashionable manner.  I’ve also ordered some other artwork to be made.  While I’m sure this might be hell for future expansion, we need more claystone.
Spoiler: Tha Dorf (click to show/hide)
The humans have arrived with their caravan.  Nish gives them a few good deals before we rob them blind with the spiked wooden balls I’ve been making almost nonstop.  We also donate a few of the  beds that I made that were not quite up to snuff.  In return we collect all of their gems, anvils and food, as well as a few metal knickknacks to melt into scrap.  We also traded for a strange sword called a scimitar.  Our race is unsure of how to produce it, so we will keep it, just in case.
We’ve another wave of migrants, but we can’t seem to produce enough stone.  This is absurd, how are we managing to run out? Nevermind, we have plenty of blocks at the moment.  I turn my attention to Ushrir, one of clothiers who’s true profession is constructing the grand gates.  He has named the cloak he has created ‘The Skinny Elder’.
The dwarvern caravan has arrived at last.  It is almost time for my reign to come to an end, but I still have a few months left.  Luckily another batch of migrants has arrived, I want to complete at least the first level of the gate before leaving my position.  It is Timber and I have less than a month left, but I’ve barely closed off the wall.  There are a few days left to thicken the wall and it is a little lopsided where a pond is, but a future leader can fix that.  I am afraid my time is up.  My Armok spare the future leaders as he has spared me.
Spoiler: The Grand Entryway (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Tha Dorf (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 12:32:50 am by 10terrapin01 »
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

LordBrassroast

• Bay Watcher
  • Wibble.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2015, 06:24:15 am »

Thanks, Terrapin. Your grammar is of the highest craftsdwarfship and your writing menaces with spikes!

Whispers, get ready.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2015, 11:17:31 am »

It's time

*EDIT
Tomorrow's shite for me, I'll prolly get the save started two days hence
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 06:47:08 pm by Loud Whispers »

LordBrassroast

• Bay Watcher
  • Wibble.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2015, 07:56:42 pm »

It's probably good I didn't do a !!FUN!! embark for this. I have a Haunted Forest, intersecting a Wilderness Desert, with reanimating, but no evil weather, in my newest embark. I managed to get 14/17 Dwarves killed within a year, 13 of which were to one Troll Corpse. I now am attempting to rebuild the fort from 3 dwarves. Our main industry is slabs.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2015, 09:59:15 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
THERE'S A NEW SHERIFF IN TOWN

LOUDWHISPERS LINEINK HAS LEGALLY ASSUMED TEMPORARY CONTROL OVER THIS FORTRESS!

Checking the stocks of our gate to glory, I was pleased to find the forges were not lacking in war materiel. Full suits of iron armour and plenty of battleaxes have been ordered... In addition to one iron warhammer and one iron pickaxe. The Sheriff needs one for work and one for messy work.

More stone and magnetite extraction has begun. The Fort seems to be in conflict between resources going aboveground and belowground. I shall finish the aboveground works (or at least make the wall impenetrable to climbers) and devote all other attention to below ground. It is curious to me that the tombs are larger than the bedrooms.

We're also going to have to find out who it was that let fungus grow everywhere. I have ordered dirt to be thrown over the fungus (seen here) and shall order consecutive paving over the fungus. Fungus is not a viable flooring, it is not fire safety compliant in the Fortress.

Speaking of fire safety compliance, we're deforesting the surface world.

LordBrassroast

• Bay Watcher
  • Wibble.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2015, 10:02:45 am »

Easiest way to meet ASTM requirements: Kill everything that's flammable.

Also, I accessed the caverns somewhere in the biome in my test fort, so you will either have to deal with the moss or go insane.

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2015, 10:50:53 am »

You can also use DFHack to turn off the "cavern discovered" flag, although I'm not 100% sure that will work.

Since when was my dorf the militia commander? Eh, no matter. I can simply call it a "military takeover" when my turn rolls around.

LordBrassroast

• Bay Watcher
  • Wibble.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2015, 11:42:45 am »

Since my turn! :D You actively commented on your dorf's personality!

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2015, 12:47:40 pm »

to join or to join that is the question... i opt for option 1!
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2015, 02:59:44 pm »

Since my turn! :D You actively commented on your dorf's personality!

*glances through thread*

And so I did.

LordBrassroast

• Bay Watcher
  • Wibble.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 20, 2015, 06:19:58 pm »

Alright, CrazyAbe, you're turn 7. Talk to LoudWhispers if you want a dorf.

Whispers, what season are you on?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 07:50:31 pm by LordBrassroast »

LordBrassroast

• Bay Watcher
  • Wibble.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 23, 2015, 10:05:46 am »

It is curious to me that the tombs are larger than the bedrooms.

Sigged!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #57 on: August 23, 2015, 11:38:41 am »

A cyclops attacked, but there was no reason to worry after considerable military reform by the good sheriff of Gatewealthy.
Obok Erithvod was the first axedwarf in and began quite the axedorf dance.
The dance went on for so long that the Cyclops grew weary, and slow. A second axedwarf arrived to bring the Cyclops low, and then even more Dorfs arrived to finish the job.
Eventually Obok won.
WORTHLESS MERCHANTS GO BACK INTO THE COAL MINES

Unfortunately since the coal mines are being dug by the good sheriff of Gatewealthy the merchants have to go haul lumber instead. You don't send your incompetent dregs to dig out a proper mine, one that won't collapse on your head.
Whilst beefing up Gatewealthy's military (increasing in size from 3 Dwarves to over 20 across 3 squads swankering around in high quality iron arms and armour) I found Ezum, who shall be the seed upon which all marksdwarves are built. Ezum was a hunter who I discovered sleeping underneath the Desert Tortoise he killed, and he was immediately promoted to militia captain for this act of superb marksmanship and camouflage.
So many trees have died, and a perimeter has been secured with paved roads to avoid any trees growing near the walls (if they are destroyed in any capacity rebuild them to avoid the game crashing due to tree related bugs).
The most significant development aboveground though is that I have ordered the endless placement of cagetraps in the surface world. I wish to catch cyclopes and goblins for future experimentations or general entertainments and combat training.
One more Dorf face has been added to the Fortress.
Underground shrines are being dug out.
And if no potato are grown aboveground this season or the next then I will draft the nearest farmer into the military at once. Idleness can be fixed with a good bit of drill.
And we sold the humans some good drills, some good food for the journey and plenty of spiked wooden balls. Not sure why the humans want those in such great quantity. We gave them 10,000 urists profit to promote future trading ventures, the Fortress appetizes for more raw ingredients.

This is an update for the Summer, with one season to go until Winter. The potato clock is ticking.
On a sidenote, the moss has also been slain.

LordBrassroast

• Bay Watcher
  • Wibble.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 23, 2015, 06:14:41 pm »

Oh god, I hate drowning in traders. Can we get some screenshots of the fort after your turn?

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 23, 2015, 10:52:11 pm »

So L.W. Can I get a Dwarf?
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11