Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: The Last Survivors  (Read 14559 times)

LordBrassroast

• Bay Watcher
  • Wibble.
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Survivors
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2015, 08:22:00 am »

Whispers, what type of dorf do you want? I already played a season with no Whispers.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2015, 09:00:07 am »

just a note . this is your firts succesion game? a few tips

EDit the first post and put the turn list there.

aslo i advice adding rules, most basic: no cheating, 1 year per turn , 1 or 2 weeks reallife time per turn and clernly uninstall all texture packs before passing save on.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

LordBrassroast

• Bay Watcher
  • Wibble.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2015, 09:08:03 am »

Winter 125:

Alright guys. I'm doing a 3x3 embark because my crappy computer, and we're setting up shop here. The weapon rack symbols on the local map are badlands, and the other one is a broadleaf forest. Both are Warm Wilderness. I know, I'm spoiling myself. However, we are at "Active War" instead of the usual minor-conflict ------ with the Elves and Goblins, which is how the civ died in the first place. We also have a brook, The Epidemic Wilderness. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't drink the water.

Embarking! YAAAAY!

The Fort's RNG name is Inodlimar, Gatewealthy. I believe this fort's insane megaproject will be The Best Gate Ever.

We take 2 picks, 2 axes, an anvil, 80 units of booze, 10 of every dwarfy seed, 20 meat, 20 fish, 23 plump helmets, assorted cloth and thread, bags and ropes, a few quivers, buckets, splints and crutches, a wheelbarrow, a stepladder, a suit of copper armor, 3 dogs, and 3 turkeys.

On Dwarves, we have a mason/mechanic/expedition leader (my dorf), 2 miners, a woodsman, a jewler, for early wealth, a farmer, and a Novice Axeman.

Detailed personality profiles of all seven dwarves, in spoilers so the post is not ridiculously long. Dwarven mining companies do not have privacy rights.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Strike the Earth indeed!

Spot o' lag and...

Here we go!

They're standing in the river. Thank Armok it's a brook.

There are no hills anywhere, except for this pile of sand in the corner. Great.

I think we shall have a ramp entrance, with walls around it.

By-the-by, it is the 15th of Moonstone, so the year turns will be till winter.

Nothing for it. I designate a wood pile and order several trees to be chopped, then get digging.

The underground looks nice enough. However, there is water everywhere.

I designate 2 levels of trap hallway, as is my wont.

The soil is 3 levels deep here, but underneath it all, we strike magnetite.
Excellent.

Here we shall farm,

And here we shall build.

The miners get digging immediately.

Bituminous coal! Joy of joys. Making charcoal is such a pain.

I begin work on a wooden palisade.

I accessed the caverns at a place in this biome, so we will have cave moss and dwarfy trees before popping the caverns.

Plump helmet farms,

Workshops/stockpiles,

And a Trade Depot.

I enable Achitecture on the entire fort.

The Depot is constructed! And there was much rejoicing.

The Palisade is complete. Since when do doors block Wagons?

This is not a wealthy gate.

I order the rock in the Northwest room to be dumped in preparation for a stockpile. We immediately have a Grand Rock Parade.

I get an office and a barracks up. Lord Brassroast begins managing, and Urvad gets training.

Stockpiles are made. Hauling time!

And Spring has arrived!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 06:24:05 am by LordBrassroast »

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2015, 10:16:58 am »

dorf me as urist
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

LordBrassroast

• Bay Watcher
  • Wibble.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2015, 10:25:32 am »

Which one? We have 2, a miner and a carpenter.

LordBrassroast

• Bay Watcher
  • Wibble.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2015, 12:21:03 pm »

I'm just gonna make both your dorf requests miners, if that's OK. I can always change it.

LordBrassroast

• Bay Watcher
  • Wibble.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2015, 05:35:46 pm »

Spring 126

HEEERRE'S GATEWEALTHY!

Upon loading, I notice that Urvad owns 1 gauntlet and 1 boot. I am an idiot.

The salmon are running! I would try and catch them but we need all hands.

Urvad gets a fresh -walnut wood shield- from the carpenter's workshop topside.

We only have 55 booze! AAAH! I start digging out a food-storage level below Workshops.

Dining hall west, storage east, workshops north and south, all with doors to combat miasma.

I then realize we're running lower on plants, with only 31. I designate more farms.

We're getting cave vermin, probably because of the cave moss.

I order the jeweler, Avuz, to cut the pyrite we have lying around.

I temporarily disable miner hauling to get the fortress dug faster.

The miners finally start digging.

A lot of people, including myself, are sleeping on the ground. I order the carpenter to make 7 beds.

Our farmer is overworked. I order Lord Brassroast to get butchering, so we can slaughter our pack animals before they starve.

One miner is now Gwolfski, and the other is LoudWhispers. Gwolfski's used to be named Urist, and is the third dwarf down in the Personality Profiles. Whisper's is the second dwarf in the list.

The fortress has ground to a halt. 3/7 people are on break.  ::) 3 people are working, and Urvad the Axedorf is training.

In an act of desperation, I make Avuz our butcher/brewer.

ARMOKDAMNIT STOP HAULING CRAP BEFORE WE DIE!

AVUZ IF YOU TAKE ONE MORE HAULING JOB I'LL-  >:(

...disable your hauling labors, I need you.

I will, however, keep my eye on Avuz. She worries me.

What is she planning?

However, the kitchens are mostly done. I designate the workshops and a meeting area.

Finally, Avuz begins to build. I'll make her cut gems again when people come off their breaks.

I butcher the pack animals, should help with food.

People have come off their breaks and I order more gems cut. I also make more stockpiles.

We have struck native platinum! adsffghjkllkhklhgfdfgh! I won't do anything with it until we have a military, though. I'm not stupid.

I move our woodpile inside.

New Farms! Only the Northwest one is constructed, however.

I order some rock furniture for our dining room.

We have a ton of vermin and no cats. Unhappy thought extravaganza!

Avuz begins to produce booze. We have water so we won't die per se, but a sober dwarf is not a happy dwarf.

I designate the first of many bedrooms.

A cloud of purple in the Butcher's shop reminds me we have no refuse pile. I make one immediately.

The hides rotted due to Tosid the Farmer's lack of non-seed-planting time. I make Whispers a tanner, as Avuz is taking a well deserved nap and everyone else is busy.

Gwolfski takes a nap. In the brook. I just-I don't know. Is he cold? I can't tell.

We need more barrels. I order Urist the Carpenter to do this. I also send Lord B to make pots.

A horde of badgers runs in fear from one of our haulers. This is highly satisfying.

Our meat is rotting because it's in the butcher's, not in a food stockpile. Ugh. Bedrooms are done however. As of now they contain exactly one bed each and nothing else.

The miasma is fierce. I order anything rotten dumped, and then brick up the dump and dig a new one.

Bricking it up apparently didn't work. I wait for the miasma to dissipate while I curl up in a ball, cry, and vomit.

I seem to have triumphed over the miasma, seeing as there are only 2 purple squares.
It is now Summer.

The Stocks screen:

Booze is, thankfully, no longer a problem.

Nothing really much is happening, but it's only Year 1. It has plenty of time to (de)volve under future (un)inspired leadership, but right now, it's a bit boring.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2015, 05:47:18 pm »

I hope if I die in a cave in it's a very large one.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2015, 06:26:20 pm »

I'll take a turn, though I have to finish another fort first.

Dorf me, please.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

LordBrassroast

• Bay Watcher
  • Wibble.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2015, 07:27:42 pm »

Whispers, I am quite good at avoiding cave ins, and I try to keep named dorfs/founding seven alive.

Th4DwArfy1, get that fort done, cause you're turn #5!
Also, you are our High Master Metalcrafter.

LordBrassroast

• Bay Watcher
  • Wibble.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2015, 08:05:35 pm »

Inodlimar-Summer 126-Expansion without Miasma
The last piece of meat in the butcher's rotted. More miasma. I consider a garbage crusher...Yes. I shall do this.

But it shall be a great garbage crusher, a Miracle of Dwarven Engineering, worthy of Inodlimar of The Fresh Gems of Chewing.

Or just a 1 tile bridge linked to a pressure plate in the dining hall.

I order 10 mechanisms, and get to work.

However, Lord B has to work through 16 rock doors first. This could be a while.

I designate the forge level, below the bedrooms. When we get migrants, they will toil here, forging implements of war.

Inodlimar's appetite for barrels is endless. I order 10 more.

Migrants! More strong backs.

The first one onto the map is a...wait for it... High Master Fish Dissector!

Migrants, I am dissapoint.

Wait a minute-the next one is a High Master Metalcrafter! I forsee buying an entire caravan with nothing but a single ☼Platinum Goblet☼

And my mood is just as quickly crushed by the arrival of a glazer and a small child.

Final Tally:
1 Woodcutter
1 Animal Dissector
1 Glazer
1 Fish Dissector
1 Metalcrafter
2 brats, ages 3 and 12-wait, 12? She should be a Peasant right now!

Eh, probably just a bug. I'll wait and see what happens. These double our numbers, we are now 14 dwarves.

I tell the Glazer to start making rock pots. She protests. Says she glazes things and that what she's did since she was 12 years old. I tell her we all need the occasional change in our lives.

I will put the other ones to work forging soon, when the forges are done with excavation. Right now I need them hauling.

The doors are done. We begin work on mechanisms.

Avuz the Jeweler is now a Brewer. I need to specialize jobs.

I make the Fish Dissector a brewer and remove Avuz from the food production chain.

I build a Kennels over an Animal Training Zone and tell my Animal Dissector to train Wardogs.

The Forges are built, with forges northeast, smelters southeast, Metal Ore piles northwest, and bar/block piles southwest.

I chop down 6 trees in preparation for a new addition to the Palisade. This is more than we will ever need, but in 40.24, if a tree limb grows over a construction designation, your game crashes.

I build a rough claystone bridge in preparation for the Garbage Crusher of Glory. I also build a pressure plate near the Workshops. Why? You shall see.

Here is my Cunning Plan:
The pressure plate (purple) is linked to the Drawbridge in the Garbage Dump north of my dorf's office. This location ensures it is pressed frequently, but no so frequently as to cause crushing accidents. Much. When it is pressed, it causes the bridge to move, crushing any accumulated items. Brilliant, if I do say so myself.

Also, I begin a second level to the Palisade. It is made out of Fortifications. Why? In DF2014, invaders can climb walls, but not fortifications, so a layer of fortifications, plus a roof and bridge, should render us completely safe from surface invaders. Plus, we can shoot people through fortifications.

I have to designate the Fortifications 1 block at a time so dwarves can reach them with the one scaffolding staircase. I decide to build a couple more. 1 north, west and east, and we already have South.

I also build a drawbridge out of claystone, because we were getting dangerously undwarfy, with all that wood.

Autumn is here, and the end of my reign approaches.

The new Metalcrafter is now The4DwArfY1.

Stock Screen:

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2015, 11:48:17 pm »

Looks interesting.

Dwarf and turn list, please

LordBrassroast

• Bay Watcher
  • Wibble.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2015, 06:54:11 am »

Pyro, you're on Turn 6. I'll dorf you as our Militia Commander.

LordBrassroast

• Bay Watcher
  • Wibble.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2015, 07:00:23 am »

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2015, 07:46:00 am »

A militia commander with conflicting interests? (She values both hard work and parties? She finds nature disturbing but doesn't mind working outside?) Well, let's be honest - she'll die soon anyway.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11