Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15

Author Topic: Stellar Arms Race, Confederacy: 1972 Design  (Read 12771 times)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Re: Stellar Arms Race, Confederacy: 1972 Design
« Reply #195 on: August 12, 2015, 07:33:04 pm »

-flying fortress stuff-
Alright, I'm pretty convinced. If it's sent out along with Z-1s it can be relatively protected from vertical flanking and should be able to make significant pushes with the enormous ammo reserves.
Let see about what the specs would be:
Heavily armoured, at least one redundant engine (maybe 2 if one is taken out on each side?), 3 crew positions (pilot, 2 "gunners" to operate missiles, one front and one rear), a ton of SRAAMs, FUCKING FLARES... anything I missed?
Oh and yeah it needs a name other than the Z-2, since it doesn't actually follow from the Z-1. I would like the Unyielding, but hey I never said I was good at names.

As for the writing, I ain't great at it but have been roleplaying enough to take a swing at it. I, personally, think that we should all chip in on the writing, which should improve it overall.
So the general thing would follow Li Jun, he has a wonderful morning with his wonderful enthusiastic and endearing family, goes to work on the high quality Confederate public transport, arrives at the design bureau, and has interactions with his well-informed colleagues who express very strong and diverse (read: stereotyped) personalities with minor flaws that are surmountable and do not get in the way of their work?
Sounds like something that could be fleshed out when I wake up or whatever.

I like those specs! Unyielding 1 (U-1 for short) works as a name, as well as fitting the concept better. Having redundant gunners means that they could practically tear this thing in half and it would still keep going.

Current Votes:
Unyielding: 2

Surya-72 Command Flight Module:1

Kevak still needs to vote, we will put any finishing touches on it and do the story tomorrow. Do we have to do the story during the Design phase?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 07:48:43 pm by Stirk »
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: August 12, 2015, 07:44:21 pm »

I am changing my vote to the command pod.  We need something like that eventually and I want to keep it in mind.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 12, 2015, 07:49:32 pm »

What are the total specs of each plane? I want to be sure we know exactly what we are voting on.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 12, 2015, 07:57:56 pm »

One was a heavier unarmored fighter with a few missiles, anti-missile flare system and second pilot/gunner.

The other was a super heavy jet with heavy armor, many missiles, redundant engines, ant-missile flare system and two additional pilot/gunners.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 12, 2015, 08:01:39 pm »

That isn't a spec list.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: August 12, 2015, 08:07:07 pm »

It's about as close as we can get. How successful the design is is dependent on dice rolls so anything more specific than "what we want it to have" is up to chance.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 12, 2015, 08:10:21 pm »

Here are my two designs:

Z-2 Shenlong Heavy Jet Fighter

Extreme altitude fighter, built for intercepting jets in the air. Heavier then the Z-1 it has a payload of several Needle SRAAMs, an anti-missile chaff/flare system and a second pilot dedicated to radar targeting. [?]

Surya-72 Command Flight Module:

A basic capsule capable of reentry that can hold up to 2 astronauts; Sacrifices crew capacity for additional life support and propulsion systems. Powered by batteries and solar panels.  New systems include anti-missile flares and an attachment port for linking up to and controlling other orbital vehicles and sats, like the Sunrise Disposable Missile Sat.[?]

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: August 12, 2015, 08:11:46 pm »

Lets hope I can focus enough to not mess this up~. We are still kind of ironing them out, I think.

Unyielding (Heavy "Flying Fortress" tankish jet)
Heavily armored (Multiple hits, if possible)
Redundant engines (2+)
3 Crewmen (1 pilot, 2 gunners. 1 gunner aiming in the rear)
Heavy Missile Load out (Several positioned to fire behind the vehicle. Exact number we are attempting for not stated yet)
FLARES! (NOBODY CAN FORGET FLARES)
Huge Size
Thick Armored Wings

Sparrowhawk (Fighter-Jet)
Improved Missile load-out (exact number not stated)
Increased speed/agility
~Expensive or less
FLARES!

Z-2 Shenlong
Improved Load-out (Again, for a third time, unstated amount)
Extreme Altitude
2 Crewmen (1 radar targeter, 1 pilot)
chaff/FLARES!

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 12, 2015, 08:13:50 pm »

Oh on that note, @GUNIN, cost estimate on the Unyielding?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: August 12, 2015, 08:17:26 pm »

((Lets hope having almost ALL DAH ORE helps out on this  :P.))

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: August 12, 2015, 08:22:24 pm »

I'm concerned as to how you all expect the Unyielding to tank missiles. With its specs, it can easily tank bullets. However, tanking missiles isn't really possible normally.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 12, 2015, 08:34:21 pm »

I'm concerned as to how you all expect the Unyielding to tank missiles. With its specs, it can easily tank bullets. However, tanking missiles isn't really possible normally.

It really is-I think I had a link on it somewhere over here....Oh, there it is! Second question.

Normal-ground tanks tank missiles all the time! That is what makes them tanks. Modern tanks can have RHEe of thousands of mm, such as the M1 Abrams max of 1,620mm from explosives. Basically (as that link goes over), the explosives used in anti-aircraft missiles are significantly less powerful than those used to fight tanks, as far as armor piercing goes. If we can get armor equivalent to a medium or heavy tank, they won't be able to damage us with their current loadout. Tanks are really hard to kill!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 08:37:04 pm by Stirk »

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 12, 2015, 08:40:15 pm »

Yeah I do not understand this either.

In theory you could build a space station that could tank missiles by sending up heavy armored plates one at a time then assembling them after achieving orbit, but in an atmosphere with realistic jet engines I just do not think it is possible.

Payload and avoidance should be the main point of atmospheric fighters.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 12, 2015, 08:57:53 pm »

Yeah I do not understand this either.

In theory you could build a space station that could tank missiles by sending up heavy armored plates one at a time then assembling them after achieving orbit, but in an atmosphere with realistic jet engines I just do not think it is possible.

Payload and avoidance should be the main point of atmospheric fighters.

Like I mentioned before, he did mention things like "Flying Aircraft carriers" in the OOC. Certainly, flying takes are more plausible than that? Tank armor is generally only a few cm thick, it isn't like we need massive slabs to block.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 09:03:48 pm by Stirk »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #209 on: August 12, 2015, 09:14:41 pm »

Lets hope I can focus enough to not mess this up~. We are still kind of ironing them out, I think.

Unyielding (Heavy "Flying Fortress" tankish jet)
Heavily armored (Multiple hits, if possible)
Redundant engines (2+)
3 Crewmen (1 pilot, 2 gunners. 1 gunner aiming in the rear)
Heavy Missile Load out (Several positioned to fire behind the vehicle. Exact number we are attempting for not stated yet)
FLARES! (NOBODY CAN FORGET FLARES)
Huge Size
Thick Armored Wings
Conservative estimate of 3 Ores, 1 Chemical. Yes, this thing would probably have more metal than your rocket ship on a good roll, if you want the skin to be an inch of steel all around. It would also need a rocket just to get it off the ground, unless you get a really good roll, because armor is heavy, yo.

---

I had to spell it out for the USAA, so here's what I told them about espionage credits:
Take photos of enemy territory and get them home safe, and you will get espionage credits. That's just one way of getting credits. Put yourself in a position where you can obtain intel. That's all I'm going to say.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15