Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15

Author Topic: Stellar Arms Race, Confederacy: 1972 Design  (Read 12772 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Stellar Arms Race, Confederacy: 1972 Design
« on: August 02, 2015, 04:06:47 pm »

Greetings, fellow citizens! Our esteemed President sends His regards from the palace; He's very excited to see what inventions you have in store! He hopes you won't disappoint him like the last team. He deeply regretted their simultaneous resignation, and was disappointed to read that they had all decided to volunteer for assignment to the Arctic science station.

The OOC thread for this game is here, and you should probably read it. The basic rules are that each year you get to design a weapon or piece of equipment, then you may revise that design or an existing one, and then everything goes into production and you get to find out if your weapons are doing better than the Amerikan ones.

Current state of the army:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What shall we design, People's Engineers?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 12:51:10 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Re: Stellar Arms Race, Confederacy: 1970
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 04:23:48 pm »

Hmm...It seems it would be best for us to focus on something Big, given that we can only introduce one project and generally have a skill set that works best with "High Quality Low Quantity".
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 04:48:51 pm »

We can 'reliably' put small payloads into orbit, how about a communication satellite?  Once we can communicate in high orbit we can start putting all sorts of neat little gadgets up there.

It may also be important for beginning a communications network since our country spans half the damn globe.

We do not have solar technology so anything we put up will be severely limited in it's time those.

We can decide on the specifics once there is consensus on a plan.  I am thinking using hacked active radar systems as a base for the communication system.

Glory to Oceania

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 05:21:42 pm »

We should research Solar Panels. It's essential for any lasting installation.

Dansmithers

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TUNNEL_SNAKES:RULE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 05:46:05 pm »

Voting for solar panels
As far as designs, I think we should invest in manned space vehicles/lifters for said vehicles.
Siggy Siggy Hole!

Well, let's say you're going away from Earth on huge spaceship and suddenly shit goes wrong and you have Super Mutants. Social Experiments prepared them for this.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2015, 05:50:01 pm »

We should gain air superiority before moving into spess vehicle stuff. We have no need for vehicles when we have no installations to park them at.

We need to design an air superiority fighterjet. We currently have a countermissile one.

Also, what about ground assets. Do we have ground assets?

Dansmithers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2015, 05:57:38 pm »

We should gain air superiority before moving into spess vehicle stuff. We have no need for vehicles when we have no installations to park them at.
According to wikipedia, the USSR has already resaerced long-duration life support systems by this point, so an orbiter couldstay up indefinitely without resupply(except ammo and fuel)

Plus, a surplus of engineers means manned applications are a priority.
Siggy Siggy Hole!

Well, let's say you're going away from Earth on huge spaceship and suddenly shit goes wrong and you have Super Mutants. Social Experiments prepared them for this.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2015, 05:59:47 pm »

We aren't the USSR though.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2015, 06:09:41 pm »

Well at the moment we have the ability to shut down use of rockets and aircraft (via interceptors and SAMs respectively), so pushing that advantage would be good. Airspace has resources and if we can interrupt the USSA's attempts at getting to space in the process then that's doubly worth it.
While getting something to LEO would grant an easy 3 chemicals, I don't think that's really urgently needed at the moment, so I'll second the proposal for a fighter.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2015, 06:15:14 pm »

I will support solar panels for future unmanned satellites.

We have manpower shortages with high quality candidates.

We need to make our rockets take less ore, we have so little.

We can afford to make a fighter with 1 more ore or chemical use without making it more expensive then our current one.  Do we want to concentrate on range or firepower?

Dansmithers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2015, 06:17:11 pm »

Maybe modify the fighter with machineguns?/make a variant
Siggy Siggy Hole!

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2015, 06:17:31 pm »

I would say we should concentrate on range. If they can't see us. They can't shoot us.

So we will likely be using missiles with the fighters.

Although machineguns are useful also.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2015, 06:31:59 pm »

So chances are that the new fighter would have to give up either some speed or just be bigger and more expensive in order to be able to carry bigger weapons than a single Needle SRAAM. Not than slower is that bad of a thing if the range advantage is good enough.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2015, 06:46:19 pm »

I would say we should concentrate on range. If they can't see us. They can't shoot us.

So we will likely be using missiles with the fighters.

Although machineguns are useful also.

Sorry I meant range as in how far it can go from our bases.  Like flying from Africa to South America for example...

If we want heavier armaments, we should base it on the existing design, strap on more existing missiles, add a second pilot compartment and give him radar equipment to guide the missiles.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2015, 06:53:25 pm »

Now that I think about it, we should make a missile that functions as a long range antifighter missile. Then redesign the existing fighter to hold more of them and be able to guide them.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15