Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15

Author Topic: Stellar Arms Race, Confederacy: 1972 Design  (Read 12770 times)

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stellar Arms Race, Confederacy: 1972 Design
« Reply #180 on: August 12, 2015, 06:08:59 pm »

While we are at it-

Doomsday 3-Stage Rocket

A smallish liquid fuel booster rocket, for launching a small explosive missiles on a suborbital trajectories.  Uses mono propellent and flares to avoid missiles and make last minute corrections.  Designed for ICBM bombardment of ground targets.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 12, 2015, 06:10:41 pm »

Eh, I could get behind some kind of mg or auto cannon, but our current fighters just can not use them and maintain the vital missile payload.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 12, 2015, 06:23:25 pm »

While we are at it-

Doomsday 3-Stage Rocket

A smallish liquid fuel booster rocket, for launching a small explosive missiles on a suborbital trajectories.  Uses mono propellent and flares to avoid missiles and make last minute corrections.  Designed for ICBM bombardment of ground targets.

Meh, we don't have any ground targets to fight right now. We are the only one with any SAMs, and I doubt they will be developing any anytime soon.

So things we are currently in agreement about:
Defenses (Flares)
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 12, 2015, 06:26:57 pm »

Z-2 Shenlong Heavy Jet Fighter

Extreme altitude fighter, built for intercepting jets in the air. Heavier then the Z-1 it has a payload of several Needle SRAAMs, an anti-missile chaff/flare system and a second pilot dedicated to radar targeting. [?]
Pretty much the same thing has already been suggested. Anti-fighter-fighter. We appear to be a bit split though.

Modern tank-armor is capable of blocking missiles, and there is nothing stating that our enemies are particularly powerful. I have faith that we will be able to make something capable of blocking the enemy missiles while still getting off the ground.
Tanks and planes aren't exactly comparable. With tanks you can keep everything important in a nice box, with planes you've got wings sticking out the side and exposed engines somewhere. And they have to be bigger the more armour you put on the thing too. Wings would be especially vulnerable because they stick way out from the main body and are thinner and so are relatively fragile.
Don't get me wrong, I would like flying fortresses to be plausible. But until solutions to those problems can be found I can't really support the idea. And the solutions aren't coming to me so it looks like I'll have to hear it off somebody else.

While we are at it-

Doomsday 3-Stage Rocket

Pretty sure we're not allowed to use ICBMs for their typical uses :(

@Autocannons: What Void said about it.
@Bigger rocket: I like the idea, but right now we have to focus on what we can keep to step up to that level.

ALSO HEY:
Do we have any writers here, because the UN credit would do us wonders.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 12, 2015, 06:46:35 pm »

Well he did mention "flying aircraft carrier" in the OOC, I would assume "Flying Tank" is much simpler, no?

We can make the wings several hundred mms thick, again like the old-timey bombers. I am generally designing this thing as absolutely huge, if we essentially have two six-foot thick wings there isn't much a small anti-aircraft payload could do against it. The Engines could be partially covered-they are jets after all-, but I think redundancy should solve that problem. If we have multiple guarded engines, and design it so that taking out one does not effect the others, it wouldn't be able to be shot down by a lucky hit. The size issue is in the design, I intended fully for it to be absurdly huge. We aren't making a supersonic stealth bomber, the wings don't have to be toothpicks at the edges.

As for the writing, I ain't great at it but have been roleplaying enough to take a swing at it. I, personally, think that we should all chip in on the writing, which should improve it overall.

Currently my only real idea is of an All-American Confederate man Li Jun [Last name removed for security reasons]. Basically making him an average guy living in the Worker's paradise, with a loving wife and middle-school daughter who looks up to him (Making a tank/airplane/missile out of popsical sticks for the awww factor), focusing on how he does his job to protect his family and the rest of his Beloved Motherland. You know, a typical Propaganda piece  :P. I don't think that is really what he is looking for, I think they are more interested in what happens at our design studio, but it would make for the bases of a backstory.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stellar Arms Race, Confederacy: 1971 Production
« Reply #185 on: August 12, 2015, 06:48:54 pm »

Looks like it's time to focus on the skies again.

I propose the fighter jet Sparrowhawk:
The little battery incident reminds me though that we could really fuck them up with flares. So getting those in is a must. Anti-aircraft role, so it realy needs to have more armaments than the Z-1, still the Needle is fine for now, just more of them. Then we can cut back on the high-altitude requirements and focus on keeping it at the same level as the USSA's current set, which should cut us a bit of slack to stick extra shit on. While aiming to keep it Expensive, try and get the speed and handling as good as they can get for evasive measures.

Okay +1 to this then, close enough to my design

no added armor, more weapons, more maneuverability, please add flair/anti-missile system though

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 12, 2015, 06:51:31 pm »

During revision, we could make another version of the Sunrise fires missiles that are capable of hitting shit in the upper atmosphere via thermal targeting.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 12, 2015, 06:54:38 pm »

During revision, we could make another version of the Sunrise fires missiles that are capable of hitting shit in the upper atmosphere via thermal targeting.

+1 to that. Having our satellites defend themselves would certainly be optimal. Maybe we should stick with radar targeting though? It seems to work better then theirs inside the atmosphere.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 12, 2015, 06:56:43 pm »

Hell, they could lock onto the thermal output that the fighters make when initially launching and then focus on the bigger thermal target (the fighters). All we'd really need is to swap two of the six missiles with the infrared targeting missiles and maybe get rid of one missile and replace that with a flare system.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 12, 2015, 06:59:56 pm »

We could revise our ground radar systems to have multiple redundant backups placed at a distance from the control center.  That way even if their missile hits it is just disposable equipment, not people or computers that get damaged, and a new one can come online.  The control centers could even be placed deep underground.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 12, 2015, 07:01:51 pm »

Wait, the sunrise use the crowmurder missiles, if we modified them we would be upgrading both orbital and ground systems.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 12, 2015, 07:08:24 pm »

Hell, they could lock onto the thermal output that the fighters make when initially launching and then focus on the bigger thermal target (the fighters). All we'd really need is to swap two of the six missiles with the infrared targeting missiles and maybe get rid of one missile and replace that with a flare system.

I don't think we currently have strong enough infared technology to see from our sats to the ground....That would probably make them more expensive, defeating the point of the sunrise. And they each only have one missile...

We could revise our ground radar systems to have multiple redundant backups placed at a distance from the control center.  That way even if their missile hits it is just disposable equipment, not people or computers that get damaged, and a new one can come online.  The control centers could even be placed deep underground.

We could...which gives me the idea for decoys, kind of on the same idea as the flares. We could have them put up basically empty radar-making decoys near our SAMs, attracting enemy fire from what we are actually hitting.

Wait, the sunrise use the crowmurder missiles, if we modified them we would be upgrading both orbital and ground systems.

Unlikely. Our Sunrises apparently use their own Sunrise missiles, the ones that Graknorke had suggested, to amazing effect when they weren't shot down. Judging by the battle report at least.  As they don't have any armor, the missiles should still work fine in the atmosphere. We may consider changing the designated anti-air ones back to explosives, just in case.

...Does my writing seem off today to anyone else? I just seem to be writing funny. I hope everyone can understand me clearly...

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 12, 2015, 07:14:58 pm »

Actually, it looks like our sunrise missiles are never shot down, just the Sat's themselves.

The thing preventing them from being fully useful is being too expensive or not being able to evade their missiles.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: August 12, 2015, 07:19:10 pm »

Actually, it looks like our sunrise missiles are never shot down, just the Sat's themselves.

The thing preventing them from being fully useful is being too expensive or not being able to evade their missiles.

That is what I had meant. See "Weird writing today" above. I guess I am having trouble focusing on what I am doing  :-\. They have been reeeeaaaaly cheap as planned (Inexpensive). The thing that prevented them from being as useful as we had hoped was the enemy coincidentally designing an anti-sat missile at the same time.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 12, 2015, 07:20:07 pm »

-flying fortress stuff-
Alright, I'm pretty convinced. If it's sent out along with Z-1s it can be relatively protected from vertical flanking and should be able to make significant pushes with the enormous ammo reserves.
Let see about what the specs would be:
Heavily armoured, at least one redundant engine (maybe 2 if one is taken out on each side?), 3 crew positions (pilot, 2 "gunners" to operate missiles, one front and one rear), a ton of SRAAMs, FUCKING FLARES... anything I missed?
Oh and yeah it needs a name other than the Z-2, since it doesn't actually follow from the Z-1. I would like the Unyielding, but hey I never said I was good at names.

As for the writing, I ain't great at it but have been roleplaying enough to take a swing at it. I, personally, think that we should all chip in on the writing, which should improve it overall.
So the general thing would follow Li Jun, he has a wonderful morning with his wonderful enthusiastic and endearing family, goes to work on the high quality Confederate public transport, arrives at the design bureau, and has interactions with his well-informed colleagues who express very strong and diverse (read: stereotyped) personalities with minor flaws that are surmountable and do not get in the way of their work?
Sounds like something that could be fleshed out when I wake up or whatever.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15