Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 217

Author Topic: Arms Race, Arstotzka: 1935 Production  (Read 159274 times)

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race, Arstotzka: 1927 Revision
« Reply #1800 on: August 08, 2015, 01:10:29 am »

The grenades we just did. Those are CQC weapons.
They're not primary weapons. Given the choice between going to battle with only an SMG or only a pair of grenades, a soldier will choose the former.

Expensive equipment can be given to officers, or one per squad (5-10 soldiers)

Thats about the levels that SMGs are used in the military thesedays. One per squad.
This is vague. By "thesedays" you could be talking about our RL present or the current in-game date.

If RL: What we use now is irrelevant. Different times call for different approaches. What works in our time won't work in Arstotzka/Moskurg's time. IRL we have other CQC automatic weapons to use besides SMGs like the M4A1 (assault rifle carbine). The battle report (the thing that overrides what we think is important and tells us what's actually important) said that more SMGs are better and that means we should get more SMGs.

If in-game: That is a bad argument. That's like saying "We don't need cheap Nosin Magants because we have Expensive Nosin Magants" back in the beginning of the war. We needed cheap Nosins. Saying we didn't need cheap Nosins because our Nosins weren't cheap just doesn't make sense. Neither does saying we don't need cheap SMGs just because we don't have cheap SMGs.

Well, except special squads, but since the quote you gave talks about a squad of just SMGs...
Three. In. Five. Three in five men should have SMGs while the rest have other weapons, based on the battle report stating that that was the optimal number of SMGs that should be fielded. Getting our entire army to field nothing but SMGs is stupid and I would've thought it was obvious I didn't think we should do that. Being able to equip every soldier with one is what I suggested, not because we should but because then we'd be able to equip as many as we needed.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 01:16:37 am by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1801 on: August 08, 2015, 07:41:34 am »

Since we have rocket enthusiast club, I think we should develope proper rockets soon.

edit: Also, I am incredibly pleased at that description of civilian life. Radio aside, our side's life is much better, richer and developed.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1802 on: August 08, 2015, 07:46:22 am »

The grenades we just did. Those are CQC weapons.
They're not primary weapons. Given the choice between going to battle with only an SMG or only a pair of grenades, a soldier will choose the former.
Given the choice between going to battle with only an SMG or only 50 grenades though...
But yeah, your arguments make sense (a bit, at least), but I'm still not convinced that is our primary need RIGHT NOW. We'll see how grenades work out.
And as for rockets, we could make simple RPGs by revising our AT grenades proably, as we have our rocket mortar and all we need to do is to basically attach rocket to grenade.

But then, I think we should wait and see how things work out.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1803 on: August 08, 2015, 07:47:16 am »

Given the choice between going to battle with only an SMG or only 50 grenades though...
If you order your soldiers to carry 50 grenades, there will be consequences.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1804 on: August 08, 2015, 07:48:56 am »

just to be clear: we do NOT, repeat, DO NOT order our soldiers to walk around as a christmas tree decorated with explosives. As many grenades as they deem necessary and safe, but well under 10.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1805 on: August 08, 2015, 07:49:46 am »

If you order your soldiers to carry 50 grenades, there will be consequences.

Also, since our civilians modify AS-1909s to be more reliable, couldn't we just ask them to, like, tell us how?
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1806 on: August 08, 2015, 08:18:09 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Does anyone know if this is possible? If it is, we could probably get short range mortars or grenade launchers without the need for a new design.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: August 08, 2015, 08:24:52 am »

our grenades are ball shaped, can't do that.

I did, however, propose a slingshot.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1808 on: August 08, 2015, 08:41:32 am »

our grenades are ball shaped, can't do that.

I did, however, propose a slingshot.
Dunno, the AT ones are cans, we could add a stick to it.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1809 on: August 08, 2015, 08:44:08 am »

Grenades on slingshots wouldn't work, not unless we increased the fuse time. By the time it takes to load and aim one, the grenade would already explode. Same thing with the AT grenades.

Glory to Arstotzka.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: August 08, 2015, 08:53:51 am »

Not if you tie the grenade pin to the slingshot so that it is only armed when you actually throw the grande. Still a stupid idea though.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1811 on: August 08, 2015, 08:59:10 am »

Can't we just replace it with
A) Reworking it in to a cheap and nasty fully automatic only pistol.
B) A fancy all new machine pistol
Spoiler: AS PA27 (click to show/hide)

C) A crazy rocket fireing pistol or some other madness.

Grenades on slingshots wouldn't work, not unless we increased the fuse time. By the time it takes to load and aim one, the grenade would already explode. Same thing with the AT grenades.

Glory to Arstotzka.
One of these must work
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1812 on: August 08, 2015, 09:19:49 am »

Spoiler: AS PA27 (click to show/hide)
Horrible, horrible design. 20 rounds mags aside, making it mostly out of aluminium will cause us to use guns that can be bent in hands by ten year old, not to mention how shitty it proably will be when it comes to reliability. And 9x19mm and 10x30mm cartridges are far too different for use in same gun without changing the whole mechanism, not only the barrel.
EDIT: Also, I'm not sure if that would be good or bad, but if the magazine would be mounted in front of the grip and we're using closed-bolt, the gun will have huge butt, which could be made into a stock.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 09:22:42 am by Kot »

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: August 08, 2015, 09:31:10 am »

The AS-1924 has an aluminium stock and other fixtures, they haven't coursed a problem.
And aluminium should help reliability by not rusting as much as steel.

Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1814 on: August 08, 2015, 10:02:21 am »

The AS-1924 has an aluminium stock and other fixtures, they haven't coursed a problem.
And aluminium should help reliability by not rusting as much as steel.
Aluminium stock, not "large amount of gun". There's a reason why If you tried to make the mechanisms or barrel from aluminium it proably would be very damn shitty. Not to mention that pure-aluminium barrel or mechanism would be unable to withstand the pressure.
Also, rusting steel isin't really a problem if you use your gun properly.
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 217