Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 217

Author Topic: Arms Race, Arstotzka: 1935 Production  (Read 159004 times)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race, Arstotzka: 1922 Design
« Reply #1095 on: August 01, 2015, 06:35:43 am »

Added a single 80mm gun to my version of the cargo vessel. They are cheap after all. And if revision below will go through - useful for air defence.

My early revision proposal:

Create new kind of shells for our artillery. In order of priority: 1)Fragmentation anti-air flak for 20mm gun,
2)Fragmentation anti-air flak for 80mm gun,
3)Parachute flare for 80mm gun 
4)Sabot shells for 80mm gun
5)Tungsten core for 20mm gun

Most likely we will get only first two or three, but I think trying to get better AP shells is too good to resist.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: August 01, 2015, 06:38:42 am »

Added a single 80mm gun to my version of the cargo vessel. They are cheap after all. And if revision below will go through - useful for air defence.

My early revision proposal:

Create new kind of shells for our artillery. In order of priority: 1)Fragmentation anti-air flak for 20mm gun,
2)Fragmentation anti-air flak for 80mm gun,
3)Parachute flare for 80mm gun 
5)Tungsten core for 20mm gun

Most likely we will get only first two or three, but I think trying to get better AP shells is too good to resist.

I support this +1
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: August 01, 2015, 06:41:53 am »

2)Fragmentation anti-air flak for 80mm gun
Our 80mm gun is a field gun. It fires slowly and it fires big. For anti-aircraft weapons, we want something that can shoot rapid-fire and can cover a lot of area with its shots, just like historic AA guns worked.

Sabot shells work with smoothbore barrels, not rifled barrels. Our 80mm gun uses rifled barrels for increased accuracy.

Glory to Arstotzka.

EDIT: Did some research on AA guns. Previously I thought they all looked like this. While single-shot guns did exist, they were specifically designed for their job and it can't be replicated by our field artillery.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 06:48:11 am by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: August 01, 2015, 06:49:19 am »

Our 80mm gun is a field gun. It fires slowly and it fires big. For anti-aircraft weapons, we want something that can shoot rapid-fire and can cover a lot of area with its shots, just like historic AA guns worked.

WTF?  Historic AAs are freaking huge guns that fire powerful fragmentation shells high into the skies.  And yes, field guns were used as improvised AA guns

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: August 01, 2015, 06:50:24 am »

WTF?  Historic AAs are freaking huge guns that fire powerful fragmentation shells high into the skies.  And yes, field guns were used as improvised AA guns
See the edit in my previous post. Can I get some links to the field gun improvised AA thing? I couldn't find any in my research.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 06:52:10 am by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: August 01, 2015, 06:58:14 am »

Like this ancient thing, mother of all ww1 and ww2 field guns

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_de_75_modele_1897

Quote from: wiki
The 75s also became widely used as truck mounted anti-aircraft artillery

Also, rifled guns can fire sabots just fine. Problem is that they wear and tear fast while doing so. Smoothbores have no such problem.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 07:02:16 am by Ukrainian Ranger »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: August 01, 2015, 07:05:02 am »

Fun fact, that gun was pretty much the inspiration for our field gun.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: August 01, 2015, 07:13:07 am »

I don't think we need to research 20 and 80mm shells separately. The GM has been pretty clear that develloping a new shell type grant that shell to all weapons that make sense.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: August 01, 2015, 07:18:23 am »

Like this ancient thing, mother of all ww1 and ww2 field guns

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_de_75_modele_1897

Quote from: wiki
The 75s also became widely used as truck mounted anti-aircraft artillery

Also, rifled guns can fire sabots just fine. Problem is that they wear and tear fast while doing so. Smoothbores have no such problem.
Fair enough. Can we lump in the upgrade with our plane revision? As Sheb said, any shell type we develop can be applied to all our shells. If we upgrade our plane's guns to use flak in the revisioin, our artillery and even our mortar will have flak too.

Glory to Arstotzka.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: August 01, 2015, 07:23:51 am »

Nah, I'd rather get good shells that try to milk some extra% of performance out of our plane.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: August 01, 2015, 07:29:10 am »

NO to plane revision. YES to artillery shells.
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: August 01, 2015, 07:32:04 am »

On the other hand, I think we might be able to get the shells if we try to convert our truck to an AA platform.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: August 01, 2015, 07:33:30 am »

On the other hand, I think we might be able to get the shells if we try to convert our truck to an AA platform.

Good point. I approve!

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: August 01, 2015, 07:35:07 am »

I'm sticking to my vote of revising the plane but in the interest of moving forward, I'm gonna start talking about shells.

We're going to make flak shells, that's for certain, but what else would be useful? AT shells aren't useful since our AC18 deals with enemy armour easily (especially since it has access to AP shells). Fragmentation would help take out infantry so I guess we should go for that. Flares to illuminate the night and prevent air raids. Anything else?

Glory to Arstotzka.

EDIT: Flare rounds would let us make night assaults in the Mountains and Jungle with our mortars. Arstotzkans gain a bonus when ambushing and Moskurgs won't be as Fierce when they've just been woken up. At worst, we can expect many more Moskurgs to stay awake at night, giving us an advantage since they'll be sleep-deprived.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 07:40:45 am by Andres »

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: August 01, 2015, 08:08:25 am »

One more revision idea, based on 10ebbor10 suggestion

Mobile AA platform based on our truck. Armed with a 80mm gun and special time fused fragmentation flak shells. Has a searchlight attached. Additionaly, has dual machinegun for dealing with low flying aircrafts and self defense against ambushes

But I prefer getting various shells
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 08:10:41 am by Ukrainian Ranger »
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 217