Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 217

Author Topic: Arms Race, Arstotzka: 1935 Production  (Read 158949 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race, Arstotzka: 1922 Production
« Reply #1125 on: August 01, 2015, 04:21:14 pm »

Anyway, we have an air advantage now, so we should rely try to cut off the enemy from the mountains. We might not be able to strafe the trains, but we can take out the tracks, especially with our new ammunition.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 04:33:12 pm by 10ebbor10 »

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: August 01, 2015, 04:33:36 pm »

with their planes once again expensive and our ground support we should have air superiority again, indeed... but I wouldn't say it is a given. it might depend on their designs, revisions and dice rolls.

also, consideirng we lack bombers, I am not sure we can do that much damage to tracks that can't be repaired, if we don't have enough superiority in the skies to destroy enough of their trains anyway.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: August 01, 2015, 04:42:48 pm »

A train going down a steep incline, loaded heavily with ore, does not stop fast.  Our fighters need only to inflict the slightest damage, and train will derail on the narrow mountain path, doing more damage than our planes could have ever done.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: August 01, 2015, 04:47:26 pm »

oh, you mean ordering planes to attack tracks in front of trains, rather than the trains themselves? that could work. I thought you meeant it as a way to damage infrastructure so they have to rebuild it, rather than a more creative way to kill their trains.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: August 01, 2015, 05:07:45 pm »

Why did we get incendiary rounds? Moskurg doesn't use a lot of wood. Fragmentation rounds would've made a lot more sense.

Flares: They shoot up, they burn brightly, they hang in the air for about a minute. Effective at illuminating the ground, and sometimes planes, though this requires some prediction as to the plane's altitude and location so it is unlikely to spot a bomber before it's close enough to drop bombs. Available in artillery size from from a smaller disposable flare gun.
I'm hoping our mortars can fire these flares. It'll let them do night attacks on the enemy in the Mountains and Jungle.

Produce the new ship and the new shell designs. Send the ships to get Ore from the Plains and get one of them to secure the submarine location. I'm voting that we should increase our reputation with the US rather than get a new design, but that's all I'll do.

If flare parachutes can't be launched by mortars, produce flare guns.

Glory to Arstotzka.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: August 01, 2015, 05:12:30 pm »

We have fragmentation. That's what the flak shell is.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: August 01, 2015, 05:15:35 pm »

We have fragmentation. That's what the flak shell is.
I don't know. There's a reason why RL frag shells aren't called flak shells. They work differently. Hopefully they'll fulfill the same role.

Glory to Arstotzka.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 05:24:49 pm by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: August 01, 2015, 05:25:03 pm »

Well, not all flak shells are fragmentation. These are though, as proximity detonators won't be invented for another 20 years.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: August 01, 2015, 05:28:04 pm »

So for our next design, I think we should go with a brand new aircraft with full aluminium body. With the Ore we'll be getting from the ships soon, we can field as many of them as we want.

For revision, revising the SMG to be cheap and getting an AR variant would help, but so would a new uniform. We could get better camo (terrain patterns rather than just colours), better armour (developing RHA or using aluminium), and giving us a chance to get rid of the flags.

Glory to Arstotzka.

EDIT: Get a mortar crew on each of our ships. Might as well get some light naval bombardment while we're at it.

EDIT2: Now that I think about it, our incendiary rounds should let us set fire to their Jungle forts much more easily than their artillery can set fire to ours. We have mortars which let us strike more accurately in the Jungle than artillery, after all.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 10:45:56 pm by Andres »

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race, Arstotzka: 1923 Design
« Reply #1134 on: August 02, 2015, 03:30:28 am »

Well, it seems that with a recoiless rifle that's actualyl somewhat portable, they're able to finally take on our fortified positions in the mountains with their Brumbleys. That's not good. As well, nobody got the design credit and we both lost our agents doing so, which let them take aluminum(the risk would have been worth it if we had gotten that design credit). Urgh.

On the plus side, they can't really take advantage of that aluminum since it would simply be too expensive, and we can use a revision on our 1910s to make them lighter so they can be more mobile. That leaves what to design.

I still say a fighter-bomber would be our best bet. We can strafe enemy infantry, drop bombs and rockets on them, and generally wreak havoc with formations.

Spoiler: AS-F23 (click to show/hide)
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: August 02, 2015, 03:42:51 am »

On the plus side, they can't really take advantage of that aluminum since it would simply be too expensive
They have no reason to not make aluminium aircrafts. With their expense credit our next turn is fucked... I can't see how can we hold mountains and don't lose ore
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: August 02, 2015, 03:50:27 am »

On the other hand, we're coming close to their capital, and both sides are facing rebellion. Risky as it might be, having a few of our planes fly over the capital will be crippling for morale.

Edit: If we're willing to basically copy our enemy, developing spaced armor in a revision would be an excellent idea. Because the enemy still doesn't have any armor piercing weaponry, they still rely on artillery shells which detonate on contact. Having spaced armor will cause that shell to detonate before it hits the armor, expending all it's explosive energy before it hits the tank.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 03:59:45 am by 10ebbor10 »

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: August 02, 2015, 04:01:49 am »

Some problems on the front were expected because logistics are always investment in the future. Now we need to hold mountains at any cost. we have inexpensive armoured cars now and it is good.

Sadly no luck with getting design credit, but I think should we use counter-espionage then result would be same with low roll our spy got.

I think aircraft is the the only sane choice now, question is - what kind of aircraft?
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: August 02, 2015, 04:05:47 am »

Well, there's Tryrar's fighter, if we want to have total air superiority. The other option is to develop a dedicated bomber, which should be fast enough to evade their fighter screen and bomb their capital directly.

The other other option is to develop a divebomber.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: August 02, 2015, 04:08:59 am »

Well, there's Tryrar's fighter, if we want to have total air superiority. The other option is to develop a dedicated bomber, which should be fast enough to evade their fighter screen and bomb their capital directly.

The other other option is to develop a divebomber.

Keep in mind mine can also act as a light bomber when the opportunity presents itself(and it should do so often :P)
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 217