Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 217

Author Topic: Arms Race, Arstotzka: 1935 Production  (Read 159372 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race, Arstotzka: 1921 Design
« Reply #930 on: July 31, 2015, 06:47:00 am »

They will likely use their expense credit either on bombers or on tanks. I don't know about you, but I want to counter this not focus on retaking jungles, We don't want to see them pushing in Taiga.
I don't think them pushing into the taiga will be a problem. The Jungle restricts their supplies, and we finally should start to see some use out of our Cold Weather engineering trait.

Besides, we keep air superiority over our heartland whatever happens.

They stand at the border of thin evergreen forests with mostly infantry carried by horse, a reduced quantity of armor due to the general difficulty in crossing the jungle, and no air support. If they hold their ground, they will gain the jungle's resources next turn.
There are no airfields in the Jungle. Just like there's no bay in the Plains.

This way we get a weapon again current and perspective tanks, a gun to arm our next tank with, secure our heartland against bombers and hopefully push in desert using more mobile motorbikes and our new light guns. If motorbikes will be all terrain enough to use in mountains, than it may break the stalemate here. Who knows, maybe new motorbikes will allow us to push back in jungles?
The GM has pretty much confirmed that no amount of towing will undo their mobile artillery advantage. Bit silly, if you ask me. But I suppose it's good. Designing A SPAT would do great good to destroy the remainder of their armor however.

Their 3 Ore cost is due to Thin mild steel armouring. Making it Light like our tank would increase the Ore cost by 1. Armouring it in aluminium increases its cost by another 1.
Their Armoring is Light mild steel in front, and thin everywhere else. Same for my variant. Thus, same ore cost. Add 2 for aluminum, and you get 5, not six.

Edit: A problem with our designs is that we leave no room for improvement. THe Moskurgians designed a craft, and as they moved up in resources and tech it went from very expensive to expensive, and if they exploit the Jungle, then cheap.

We would have to redesign our vehicles every time.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: July 31, 2015, 06:57:16 am »

The GM has pretty much confirmed that no amount of towing will undo their mobile artillery advantage. Bit silly, if you ask me. But I suppose it's good. Designing A SPAT would do great good to destroy the remainder of their armor however.
Armoured cars are faster and our autocannon is enough to destroy any armour our enemy fields. A SPAT would be less effective if you ask me.

Speaking of our awesome autocannon, patent our AC18 before the filthy Moskurg can steal it and do so themselves.

Their Armoring is Light mild steel in front, and thin everywhere else. Same for my variant. Thus, same ore cost. Add 2 for aluminum, and you get 5, not six.
It would only cost 1 for aluminium if we were only armouring. It costs 2 if you want to make the insides aluminium as well. You're right, though. It would be 5, not 6. The problem is that it'd be immune to their .30 cal weapons but not to their Stallions, HKs, and now Smashers. Getting greater numbers of our AC would help them fight better more than better armour.

Glory to Arstotzka.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: July 31, 2015, 08:57:57 am »

+1 to AS-MV21-AL with a slight addendum:Add a pintle-mounted AS-1910 that can attack both ground and air targets. That way we have another weapon to add more dakka with AND it can be used as light AA in a pinch
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 10:28:56 am by tryrar »
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: July 31, 2015, 09:00:05 am »

Actually, I'm pretty sure it would be immune to their Horsekillers and Stallions. Remember, from my big pile of evidence, the enemy could hardly penetrate our AS-T15 frontally, and it was merely armored with Light mild steel armor.

Now, the frontal assembly was angled at 45 degrees and 20 mm thick. Assuming I didn't mess up my calculations, that's an equivalent thickness of 28 mm. Now, that's just barely medium armor, which is thus, due to low armor quality, reduced to just barely light armor.

Clearly, that means that an aluminum or RHA armored vehicle with decent light armor will be immune to their HK's and Stallion's.

+1 to AS-MV21 with a slight addendum:Add a pintle-mounted AS-1910 that can attack both ground and air targets. That way we have another weapon to add more dakka with AND it can be used as light AA in a pinch
::)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 09:01:36 am by 10ebbor10 »

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
  • Gonna one-up FoU - with an FG in my personal text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: July 31, 2015, 09:04:06 am »

What if we designed/revised something to increase the troop morale?
The quantum cannonball hits you in the face and misses!
Money!
GENERATION grisha5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: July 31, 2015, 09:05:01 am »

Alternatively, couldnt we revise our AS-1910 to become a Brumby-like?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: July 31, 2015, 09:28:05 am »

I think we tried that before. We got a magazine powered version instead, and the comment that redesigning is easier than revision.

We can fix our camouflage, revise our ammunition choices (tracer, incendiary hollow point), cheapen up the SMG, upgrade the explosive strength of our mines and mortars, and a whole lot of other things.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 09:31:20 am by 10ebbor10 »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: July 31, 2015, 10:13:18 am »

Ok. Then I think we ought to design some kind of monoplane air superiority fighter. They're going to be trying to up the airgame, and while we have a great attacker, it lacks in the fighter role.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: July 31, 2015, 10:15:11 am »

Ok. Then I think we ought to design some kind of monoplane air superiority fighter. They're going to be trying to up the airgame, and while we have a great attacker, it lacks in the fighter role.

Definitely something I'm gonna design next year. Right now we need some sort of better ground vehicle to push back in the jungle and hold the plains(and keep pushing the desert)
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: July 31, 2015, 10:15:44 am »

Why do people insist on submitting atleast two armored car suggestions every fucking turn?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: July 31, 2015, 10:16:34 am »

Because our only AFV is a steam-powered, turretless box of shitmetal?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: July 31, 2015, 10:18:09 am »

I understand that, but why almost two IDENTICAL designs?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: July 31, 2015, 10:26:54 am »

In this case, because of a critical doctrinal difference. Quantity vs Quality.

I want a vehicle that can soundly defeat everything it faces, Andres wants one that outnumbers the enemy 10 to 1. Seems like a bad idea to me, as the enemy needs but to get a single extra ore and they'll be cheap as well, and then only quality matters. Off course, mine will then be outnumbered, but it should hold up with support. The Moksburgians did that for ages.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 10:31:02 am by 10ebbor10 »

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: July 31, 2015, 10:29:50 am »

Switched to yours. I didn't realize Andres' one was the one without AL armor. Still wanting a pintle mounted MG

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: July 31, 2015, 10:33:00 am »

To be honest, quantity has served us well over quality so far.

Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 217