Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 217

Author Topic: Arms Race, Arstotzka: 1935 Production  (Read 159252 times)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race, Arstotzka: 1917 Design
« Reply #405 on: July 27, 2015, 01:32:40 pm »

1) Firing ports are not for tanks because those compromise armor and crew has better things to do then fire SMGs
2) Designing a turret, new engine, new unique and complex gun, hard to produce sloped armor, new round and tracks in one action... No thanks
3) 20mm is just way to small.
4) It is overarmored for 75hp engine. You need at least 200hp here. Especially if you want to use it in jungles.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: July 27, 2015, 01:52:44 pm »

1) Firing ports are not for tanks because those compromise armor and crew has better things to do then fire SMGs
2) Designing a turret, new engine, new unique and complex gun, hard to produce sloped armor, new round and tracks in one action... No thanks
3) 20mm is just way to small.
4) It is overarmored for 75hp engine. You need at least 200hp here. Especially if you want to use it in jungles.

Point, though the Renault FT-17 only had a 39hp engine and look what it did(though I give you it only had sloped armor on the lower glacis). 22mm frontal, and 15 side and rear should be better, and make it a 3 crew max tank. Should weigh no more than 10 tons max.
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: July 27, 2015, 01:55:25 pm »

Yeah, but designing a gun AND a tank in one action?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: July 27, 2015, 01:58:46 pm »

Yeah, but designing a gun AND a tank in one action?

We have some breathing room at the moment to experiment, so we can take some risk. If either fails, we can revise to fix the flaws. Of course, if both fail, then I vote we focus on the gun. Like I said, we can just plop a 20mm autocannon on an artillery carriage if worst comes to worst and we need to focus on fixing the gun, then we can try again with the tank.
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: July 27, 2015, 02:01:31 pm »

Well, if the GM will let us do it, I'd go with it. God knows that the Moksburgian managed to have some intersting tech leaps of their own.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: July 27, 2015, 02:03:45 pm »

So that's two for the new tank, anyone else?

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: July 27, 2015, 02:08:20 pm »

Tank gun is a subsystem of vehicle. It should be designable. But designing many new subsystems at once is asking for trouble..

Lets look what kind of motorbike we will get then choose between getting aircrafts, tanks or forget about oil heavy stuff and do something else (like artillery)

I prefer to go for motorization only if we capture jungles and its oil.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: July 27, 2015, 02:10:56 pm »

Tank gun is a subsystem of vehicle. It should be designable. But designing many new subsystems at once is asking for trouble..

Lets look what kind of motorbike we will get then choose between getting aircrafts, tanks or forget about oil heavy stuff and do something else (like artillery)

I prefer to go for motorization only if we capture jungles and its oil.

Naturally, if nobody supports this my vote goes to motorcycle, but since we have breathing room, I was thinking we could take a risk; even if it fails we'll likely have learned a couple things, and it's not like we don't have experience with armored vehicles.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: July 27, 2015, 02:21:30 pm »

I second that suggestion. Plus, we can always hope for another deal, and even an expensive weapon system is better than none. Also, develloping coal-to-oil tech is always possible.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: July 27, 2015, 02:23:53 pm »

on the other hand, a motorcycle or an anti tank gun by themselves have immediate usefulness, much easier to design and important recursors to proper tanks.

Hiddenleafguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: July 27, 2015, 02:24:31 pm »

I support the moterbike.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: July 27, 2015, 02:35:57 pm »

So, barring a sudden shift to my tank design, we're just waiting on sensei huh?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: July 27, 2015, 02:38:15 pm »

A motorcycle wouldn't help much. Motorcycles aren't really useful. A jeep could be good, a armored car could be good, a tank would be awesome.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: July 27, 2015, 02:44:04 pm »

The motorcycle first saw large-scale deployment in WWI. While commonly associated with stagnant, immobile trench warfare, it is often forgotten that motorcycles were actually one of the most prolific tools in the Allied arsenal (the US alone ordered over 80,000: 50,000 Indians, 20,000 Harley-Davidsons, and various others.)
Cough

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: July 27, 2015, 02:50:18 pm »

There is a reason no one remember the motorcycle: it is only of marginal use. Sure, it's nice to have something slightly better than a horse to scout, but it's hardly game-changing. I'd prefer a bigger gun, radio, gas, tank, or even some light car that can at least be fitted with a machinegun to a motorcycle.

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 217