Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 217

Author Topic: Arms Race, Arstotzka: 1935 Production  (Read 159019 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race, Arstotzka: 1913 Design
« Reply #105 on: July 24, 2015, 04:30:54 am »

I think we are going to see some progress in the plains anyway: their MG and artillery are now Very Expensive, so we will be able to outgun them, even with defective shells.

I propose we design a bunch of new uniforms. Those will help survivability, and the various camouflage plays right in our ambush mentality.

Spoiler: AS-1913 BDUs (click to show/hide)

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 24, 2015, 04:35:17 am »

For clarity, the balloon would be a new technology, and it could have its own telescopes- that would be one design phase. Rifle-mounted telescopic sights would require another design phase, although they could justifiable go with a new rifle at the same time.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 24, 2015, 04:39:27 am »

This too is a good idea, but part of the description states that it has numerous optical instruments - something we'll have to design first. Yet more reason to go with a scope.

The idea is to develop the optics as part of the project, so that we can later add them to everything with revisions. 
This is rather ambitious. We could fail quite badly by chasing two rabbits.

Moskurg has domestic ore reserves in their home desert. In addition, without train upgrades we get no additional resources, as we simply can't transport them.
(I edited my last post when I read the GM's post.)

I think we are going to see some progress in the plains anyway: their MG and artillery are now Very Expensive, so we will be able to outgun them, even with defective shells.

I propose we design a bunch of new uniforms. Those will help survivability, and the various camouflage plays right in our ambush mentality.

Spoiler: AS-1913 BDUs (click to show/hide)
This could easily be put under revision. Moreover, while the camouflage would certainly help with ambushes, our biggest problem is in the place where we can't ambush the enemy - the Fields. The helmet would help, but return fire would help even more. Our artillery has a faster fire rate and is more accurate. (A skilled commander is needed to get close to hitting trenches and emplacements, according to the Bombadier's description. Our artillery only states that it can hit trenches and buildings, saying nothing about needing a skilled commander.)

For clarity, the balloon would be a new technology, and it could have its own telescopes- that would be one design phase. Rifle-mounted telescopic sights would require another design phase, although they could justifiable go with a new rifle at the same time.
We can use the rifle scopes as makeshift telescopes but we can't use the telescopes as makeshift rifle scopes.

Glory to Arstotzka.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 24, 2015, 04:45:58 am »

We can use the rifle scopes as makeshift telescopes but we can't use the telescopes as makeshift rifle scopes.
Correct- the hard part is getting the scope lined up with the gun.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 24, 2015, 06:41:07 am »

We have superior rifles, artillery and MGs, and most importantly, more of them. Thei will all be Very Expensive next turn, giving us an edge in the plains.

I think a comprehensive uniform redesign would be a design action not a revision one. If you think its too little, we could add a flak vest to the specs... or a gas mask (grin menacingly...).

Another thing to keep in mind is that this place is swarming with vile Moksburgian spies and saboteurs. A balloon, especially an hydrogen one will be a deathtrap by the time they are done, so we  can already plan on needing a revision.

Alternatively, we are still lacking a good close-range weapon. Designing a 20mm pump-action shotgun or similar could be good.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 07:27:38 am by Sheb »

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 24, 2015, 08:16:40 am »

I've been thinking and I realise that it's entirely possible for the balloons to be shot down by Horsekillers. Just a single volley would be enough, I think. I think for our next Design we should look into either body armour or an SMG.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 24, 2015, 08:31:37 am »

You know, with our revision likely going to be fixing that arty, I'll say fixing our close range problems would be a good idea. Easiest would be making our pistol non-crap by designing a brand new pistol, or we go with designing a shotgun that uses metric...or we can go with a smg for sweeping trenches. I vote SMG
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 24, 2015, 08:51:14 am »

That would indeed be a possibility. However, I  feel a SMG would be complex enough to end up being expensive. We need weapons we can deploy en masse to be effective.

So I think the two choices are either a uniform/flak jacket thing, or a good shotgun. It should be noted however that in the plains a shotgun would only be effective once we push the Moksburger all the way back to the cities. It would help somewhat in the jungles though.

Still, better uniforms and flak jackets would play on our strength, and benefits all three theaters. Plus, we should have enough offensive advantages in the meantime. Still, I'll draft two proposals and let you vote on it.

Spoiler: AS-U13 Battle Uniforms (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: AS-W13 Trench Shotgun (click to show/hide)

My vote is for the AS-U13.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 24, 2015, 09:02:50 am »

Out of the two, I'm rather split. A uniform that includes flak jackets and helmets would be useful, but at the same time the other guys are aiming for a better rifle so not sure if that would be enough(though not much you can do to counter a rifle without metal plates thick enough to slow down a trooper :P). However, a shotgun might be the more useful tool...unless we just say screw it and go straight for tanks :P.

Overall, unless anyone else supports my smg idea I vote for the shotgun
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 24, 2015, 09:05:22 am »

Wow lots of good discussion and designs coming in.
I think the most concerning thing coming out of the battle phase was the amount of problems our artillery was facing. Seems like the ejection system AND the shells are shoddy. Hoping a revision might fix some of the problems, but we might have to consider a complete redesign in the future.

re: Shotgun
- A dedicated CC weapon would probably be a good idea, but maybe we could revise the captured design instead?

re: uniforms
- I like the idea of updated uniforms, but I worry if we issue both helmets/flak jackets that we might get the dreaded 'expensive' tag

re: Balloons
- Definitely agree that a balloon would not be a great idea right now.

re: SMG
- Too complex for the time period, I think our mosins will suffice for now.

re: Scopes
- Good, but I definitely think they can wait.

Design ideas
- Grenade
- More sinister stuff > : )
    - gas shells/ gas masks
    - land mines
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 09:06:54 am by Knave »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 24, 2015, 09:07:23 am »

A third alternative would be to redesign our train engine to get more ressources. The goal of the flak jacket is not to stop bullets, just shrapnels. The real protection however will come from not being a bright red target anymore.

Also, we have a limited amount of revision phase available. We need to fix the sabotage of our shells. Worse case, we'd still get cheap camouflage even if only officers/stormtroopers have flak.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 24, 2015, 09:39:39 am »

I vote shotgun and then train. We hold much of the mountains, we need to use what we gained there while they have lost it. Their advance should falter from lack of material.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 24, 2015, 09:59:01 am »

I vote for the adjusted uniforms, and for the revision, I'd say to wait on possible sabotage, but I'd rather upgrade our trains with superheaters and other steam tech.

I've been thinking and I realise that it's entirely possible for the balloons to be shot down by Horsekillers. Just a single volley would be enough, I think. I think for our next Design we should look into either body armour or an SMG.
Nope.

The horsekiller fires simple bullets, which are neither ignitory, or explosive. Any hit would go straight through. And balloons are surprisingly though. Besides, the thing is 1-1.5 km up. They're not going to hit much from that distance. We might loose a few balloons, yes, but can replace those.

There're stories of planes landing on top of a balloon, even.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willy_Coppens

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 24, 2015, 10:28:03 am »

+1 to
Spoiler: AS-U13 Battle Uniforms (click to show/hide)
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 24, 2015, 10:37:57 am »

Lets see if I can compile votes...

Shotgun
 AseaHeru
Uniforms
 Funk, knave, Sheb, Ebbor
SMG
 Tryrar, Hiddenleafguy
Balloon

Scope
 Andres

Also, for plans, I think we should focus on the mountains while holding ground elsewhere. Once we are done with the mountains we can head for the jungle and prefect our weapons there for when we go after their home.

Of course, knowing them they will be trying to get their gear ready for dealing with winter...
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 11:12:50 am by Aseaheru »
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 217