Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 23

Author Topic: Mission 22: Hero Killer  (Read 33228 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Mission 22: Dead zone
« Reply #120 on: July 22, 2015, 01:12:15 pm »

Lars said a quick prayer for the dead over the coms.  "Brothers and sisters, I think it's clear, but do not open your suits for any reason, nor the suits of the dead.  We'll bring one of the dead with us on the way out, but for now let's leave them where they lie.  I don't think anything in the freight area is going to tell us anything; let's start moving in.  Everyone to the elevator; I'll lead.  O Great Glorious Steve, do we have a map of the colony interior?"

Be the first one inside, then look around and inspect the room from the inside.  Ask Steve for maps.
The room is large but uninteresting; square, with reasonably high ceilings and no decoration whatsoever. Just a big metal bunker with controls for the outer doors and for the elevator itself. No sign of violence here either, but there are several corpses around, as well as one of those loading machines for the containers. If you had to guess, they were in the process of bringing things into the colony when whatever happened hit them.

Again, I can't do maps, but I can guide you.

Dubley radios to Lars: "I would like to investigate one of the small ships before moving on. Maybe it has some data. You can go on ahead, I'll catch up soon."

Go investigate the small ship that Ben was trying to get into. First try to hack the door open, if that doesn't work try to open the lock with my box of generic tools, and if that doesn't work just tear the door open with my exoskeleton strength.

Search inside the ship for any data or clues about what happened. Also any equipment.
And check if its working, just in case we need to use it.

Hacking fails, so you move on to tool use. This also fails. You sigh in annoyance and just jam your fingers into the seams of the door and tear it straight off it's hinges. You casually toss it over your shoulder before gesturing to Ben.

"After you."

Stick near the shuttle for now, and analyze the slime stuff on the ground. Try to determine what it is and/or what formed it, is it growing, etc. Also analyze the atmosphere if it's possible for me to do that (mainly so I can get IC knowledge of the particulates).
Also keep an eye on the Sods, see if they're doing alright. Do they have suits on?

:I will investigate this slime on the ground just to make sure it isn't going to come alive and eat our legs or somesuch. If my services are required I will be near the shuttle.:
You can't really tell what the slime on the ground is, but it vaguely reminds you of bacterial cultures done in agar. Hmm. You get your knowledge of the particulate, and yes, the sods are suited up.

Ask Steve if he can send a probe or do a spectroscopy scan to check if it's the same atmospheric and goo situation across the planet or if it's localised. And if it's localised, what's its range? I want to know how far we'd have to go to outrun it.

Open some containers and check inside, just in case.
Have foods and other supplies broken down? What about plastics? If so, get a sample.
Anything else of interest in there?

Then go to Lars and go down with him.

It appears to be localized, but the range is quite large. A circular area with a radius of roughly 15 miles.

You pry open a few containers but nothing seems amiss. None of the materials inside have broken down as far as you can see, though it's all non-organic matter, no food. The supplies appear to be mostly metals and chemicals of various kinds, lots of raw metals and barrels of non-organic substances, most of them with content warnings about being explosive or corrosive.

You head over to Lars.
Private channel to Lars:

"Kay then, now that you all made it down well and good, I advise you divide those teams now, so they can do whatever acquainting they need to. Have you decided on going with 2 or 3 yet? Then, I'd finish up whatever you still wanna do up here, then go down with the entire team. Remember that there are still sods up here I can order around if there was anything you still wanted done. They might not be the smartest, but I can watch their cams so that's not a big problem."

sod actions: have some stand around where a shuttle is being opened, rest go look at every body and its position so Miya can make a map of where exactly the bodies are, to try and learn anything from that. Gunnerbots keep up with their aforementioned patrol route.
You move the sods around. As per the body placement, you don't see anything particular in it. It appears they were mostly concentrated around the area between, around and inside the warehouse and the main elevator.

"Hey there Dubley, don't go alone. Buddy system and all that."

Private channel to Lars:
If we need to split up, I volunteer to lead a squad.

Help Dubley examine a ground shuttle or whatever the other vehicles are. Also be ready to take a squad somewhere if needed

The shuttle is empty and unremarkable. It appears as though it hasn't been used in a while and is quite clean on the inside. It's small as well, holding only a 3 or so people, maybe 5 if you really cram in.

Thoroughly search the supervisor's office for mention (in notes or datapads) of any off-the-records shipments or unusual happenings in the colony. 

Time allowing, also log into and/or hack into the colony's intranet through a connected datapad or terminal.  Any indications of what may have happened?  What is the last activity recorded by the server logs?  And what systems can Tek access in this way?

@Lars "Sir, Flint believes that the placement of the colonists' bodies on the surface may provide hints as to the nature of what killed the colonists.  Would it be possible to create a map of the bodies by analyzing the video feeds collected by the sods?  Could you perhaps send that data to Tek for analysis?"
The supervisor's notes don't mention anything out of the ordinary; the last recorded thing was to move a number of large containers down into the colony and store them in an internal storage area near the industrial sector.

"Hmm.... this is very odd. Could a microwave weapon do this sort of thing?"

Head with Lars to go into the colony if he is doing so. Otherwise, make a closer examination of a body, and see if I notice anything else odd.
You head to lars and look over the nearest body. You notice nothing that you didn't see before.

Follow Big Boss Lars. See if the bodies inside look to be soupy as well, but no touchy the bodies.
They also look soupy.

There's a sound, a sound like a distant discordant singing, which seems to flow up from underground in a palpable, tingling wave.

Lars blinks, and looks around, only vaguely aware of what has happened.

The massive ball of organs and limbs that is Xan twitches a bit, as though shivering, but seems unaffected.

Tek's eyes water, his nose bleeds and he feels suddenly nauseous.

Dubley doubles over and coughs violently, blood leaking from his gums and spraying over the inside of his faceplate. His eyes, ears and nose all bleed and he barely stops himself from vomiting. His entire body aches.

Yancy looks around, confused as to why several people are doubling over.

Taddock sweeps his gauss rifle around and crouches down instinctively, but is otherwise unaffected.

Flint gets a sudden headache but it dissipates after a few seconds.

Jobasio drops where he stands and doesn't move.

Lyra suddenly wobbles and goes dizzy, feeling all together ill.

Elias Feels extremely dizzy and confused.

Blood oozes from Judas eyes, nose and mouth and he coughs and sputters, unable to get his breath.

Kai drops like a stone.

Ian goes limp and lays still

Ben jerks stiff and then collapses

Alex screams a gurgling cry and then drops.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 01:22:27 pm by piecewise »

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 22, 2015, 01:21:25 pm »

*Cough* *Cough* *Uggghhhhhhhh* "That's almost half the team down!" *Cough* "Maybe we should leave" *Cough* this place and call it quits." *Cough cough*
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 01:26:38 pm by NAV »
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #122 on: July 22, 2015, 01:22:09 pm »

:Oh, great, we're on a time limit. Well, no need to panic ladies. This thing doesn't happen often. Sods have been down here for some time and they were fine. So that means that our fine medics will have plenty of time to stich your asses back up and get you back to combat ready.:

:Vanessa and the rest of the medics, get the fixables to the elevator. Do what you can now to stop them from dying. You can finish healing them when we go down if they need surgery, cause then we'll have atmosphere.:

:The unfixables go to the shuttle for a quick trip to the infirmary. Come on, move it.:

What happened to the sods?
What about the Hydra Heads of the Rainbow Cannon, did they react to the pulse in any way?
And the goo, did it react to the pulse in any way?
What if I play Your Love Keeps Lifting Me Higher and Higher to it?
If it does, we could make millions selling dancing Toasters.

Scan people with CamEyes and provide info/x-ray scans/etc. to anyone who would benefit from it (probably the medics).

Aid medics in moving of fixable bodies to the elevator, then go down.

Edit: And get a few of those corrosive/explosive barrels and put them on the elevator if there's time (as far away from us as possible). Just in case we need to blow something up. Because one can never have enough explosives.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 11:52:58 am by Parisbre56 »

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 22, 2015, 01:30:38 pm »

"...ok, what in the name of FUCK was that?"

Try to pinpoint the source of...whatever the hell that was that caused some of my teammates to start doubling over and generally not have a good time. Otherwise help move bodies either to the shuttle or the elevator depending on if they're just unconscious or dead, then follow the team down. Finally, set suit to record external sounds for if whatever that was repeats so Steve can analyze.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 01:39:45 pm by tryrar »
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 22, 2015, 01:41:16 pm »

:That settles it. Whatever it was that did this was something not entirely natural. That sound ... someone who is still alive record it and analyze. Send it to Steve or something, it may have a connection to the cause of this.:

In response to the 'move the bodies' order: :Roger. If this slime and the air particulates aren't spread through the whole planet I'd recommend moving them out of there, there may be an improvement in their condition once they've exited the area.:

Get any of the people who have fallen and are unresponsive over to the shuttle, and get the people who are still somewhat responsive over to the elevator. Do this with help from teammates.
Then presumably go down on the elevator, trying to determine what's wrong with our more injured people and if I can fix it at all.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 22, 2015, 01:42:31 pm »

"Ugggh fuck its gonna be one of those missions. Alright."

Get stabilized by my mk3 suit, then wait for the medics to decide who's dead and who's just sleeping and help move them to their proper places.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 11:45:51 am by NAV »
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #126 on: July 22, 2015, 01:59:03 pm »

((Note that I mentioned fixable and unfixable, not living and dead. If someone is alive but currently bleeding into his brain, he won't stay alive for long without immediate medical attention. Not sure if anyone is in that in between state that can't be stabilised by their MK2s (I'm hoping everyone has MK2s, not currently on my PC so I can't check) but just saying, just in case.))

:If anybody has that suit monitoring program, try to use it to prioritise treatment for those who need it right now. The more lives we save, the better we can do down there and the more work (and meatshields) you'll have.:

:Some info on what just happened would also be nice. Are their brains melting or is it their entire bodies? What about their ears? I'll scan everyone with CamEyes to help, but I'm not that good a medic.:

:Techies, consider this: can we make some sort of sound cancelation field with our suit's speakers to cancel out the sound and vibrations if it isn't completely supernatural? No need to do it right now, but soon would be nice.:
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 02:04:41 pm by Parisbre56 »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 22, 2015, 02:01:02 pm »

"Algis, we beg your shielding hands to cover us!  Okay medics, Vanessa and Alex, get those who can't go on safe near a shuttle.  Everyone else, if you're able, get to the elevator because we go NOW.  Move with the speed of Vo-Nos!"

If it's not here, call the elevator.  Herd healthy teammates to the elevator and go down.  Don't wait around.  Turn off external microphones.  Pray to Algis for protection for the team.

He switched to Miyamoto's coms.  "General Miyamoto, there's something below that is generating an odd sound, that caused much of the team to collapse.  We are moving quickly as possible; will split into two teams once we are down with those that are able."

That done, he switched to a private channel to Dubley and Flint.  "Dubley and Flint, are you two well?  We will be splitting into two groups once we get below.  Dubley, if you are able, you will be leading the other group.  If not, I will have Flint do so."
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 08:03:52 pm by Toaster »
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 22, 2015, 02:15:32 pm »

Prepare for elevator ride. Eyeball the elevator. Is it on our floor? If not, send the message below to Lars.

EDIT: Also do the turn-down-suit-microphones thing if it doesn't take a roll

Quote from: Message to: Lars
Should we call up the elevator? Time is short.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 02:20:21 pm by Hapah »
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #129 on: July 22, 2015, 02:59:13 pm »

@Lars: :Fine and dandy, robot candy. Just felt a bit weird in my head, a bit of pain, but it's gone now. I've had hangovers that were worse. Ready to go down on your go. And I'm guessing Dubley will be too, once the healers give him some buffs.:
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 04:10:41 am by Parisbre56 »

bcneuf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 22, 2015, 03:17:22 pm »

...regain conciousness?

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 22, 2015, 03:31:35 pm »

@ Lars: "I was hit pretty hard but *Cough* should be okay to lead once my suit's med systems kick in."

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #132 on: July 22, 2015, 03:51:48 pm »

Attempt to wake up, if I'm not dead.

If I am dead, lie around being a useless sack of meat.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 04:20:38 pm by Dutrius »
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 22, 2015, 04:27:00 pm »

Check status of sods and gunnerbots. Ask Steve if he also recorded that sound that assailed our team, and if yes, if he can tell me more about it (pitch, tune, whatever stands out).

"Algis, we beg your shielding hands to cover us!  Okay medics, Vanessa and Alex, get those who can't go on safe near a shuttle.  Everyone else, if you're able, get to the elevator because we go NOW.  Move with the speed of Vo-Nos!"

If it's not here, call the elevator.  Herd healthy teammates to the elevator and go down.  Don't wait around.  Pray to Algis for protection for the team.

He switched to Miyamoto's coms.  "General Miyamoto, there's something below that is generating an odd sound, that caused much of the team to collapse.  We are moving quickly as possible; will split into two teams once we are down with those that are able."

That done, he switched to a private channel to Dubley and Flint.  "Dubley and Flint, are you two well?  We will be splitting into two groups once we get below.  Dubley, if you are able, you will be leading the other group.  If not, I will have Flint do so."

"Yeah, I rather noticed from the camviews. I'm checking on the sods, and if those are ok then I'll have them take care of the wounded and dead. One of 'em should know some first aid or whatever. You could try blocking outside audio to block a second wave, though I doubt it'll help much. Still, you have your radios, so coms won't be disturbed. Once you're down I'll also have them check the shuttles, to be sure."
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 04:30:31 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #134 on: July 22, 2015, 04:35:34 pm »

...regain conciousness?
My friend, I feel you have about the most ER of careers here. First mission in, dropped in the first 5 minutes on the planet.

Jim was much the same way, long ago.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 23