Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 23

Author Topic: Mission 22: Hero Killer  (Read 33215 times)

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Mission 22: Dead zone
« Reply #90 on: July 20, 2015, 11:29:50 am »

Everyone calm down. Feel free to bicker after the mission, but right now we have bigger concerns.
:Come on man, lighten up. I'm as cool and calm as Ice-9. I'm just horsing around. I mean, who would be stupid enough to be angry and uncooperative with their teammates during a mission which at any moment could turn into a life or death situation?:
"I'm calm as well, at any rate, I'd rather have cool anger over almost getting killed on a foolhardy errand than getting freaked out over whatever happened here."

:And anyway, I couldn't send another shuttle.:
"How unfortunate."
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 20, 2015, 11:36:23 am »

:Gentlemen, calm down please. I'm sure Flint had good reasons for doing whatever it is he did, and I'm sure you have a good reason to be indignant at him. Regardless of whatever happened, it doesn't quite matter, as I think we should shelve the issue for after the mission which was deemed dangerous by ARM standards. I'd rather not die due to some issue about something from a past mission that sounds like it was already over.:
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #92 on: July 20, 2015, 03:44:55 pm »

:Sure thing man. If you ever become trapped and I get the idea to send someone to rescue you, I'll make sure to keep it to myself.: Flint replied sarcastically.
Jobasio snorts at that.
"I hardly present enough of a liability to the team for you to consider mounting a rescue effort in the first place. That seems to be what you base a person's worth off, after all, given how you risked the lives of a shuttle full of more-or-less competent, mostly sane individuals to save one single lunatic who's probably accounted for several missions' worth of dead allies all on his lonesome."
:Yes, a truly excellent idea. Why consider all human lives worth preserving? I should merely look out for the interests of those who are the most useful to myself and to the mission. You see, I'm too important to risk getting taken out merely to protect your lives and give you a chance to fight or escape. So you should go first, trigger any traps or aggro any enemy troops, so that I can then go in and take care of them. That would truly be the best way to do things. So, I hope you enjoy your new spot at the front of the group.: Flint continued sarcastically.

:And before you ask, yes I was being sarcastic and no I did not mean that.:

Everyone calm down. Feel free to bicker after the mission, but right now we have bigger concerns.
:Come on man, lighten up. I'm as cool and calm as Ice-9. I'm just horsing around. I mean, who would be stupid enough to be angry and uncooperative with their teammates during a mission which at any moment could turn into a life or death situation?:
"I'm calm as well, at any rate, I'd rather have cool anger over almost getting killed on a foolhardy errand than getting freaked out over whatever happened here."
:Good. I'm good at managing cool anger and passive-aggressive remarks. Just ask one of my exes. Oh, no wait, you can't do that, they're dead.:
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 05:04:56 pm by Parisbre56 »

Nunzillor

« Reply #93 on: July 20, 2015, 09:36:56 pm »

"Tek apologizes, he didn't mean to start anything or endanger group cohesion. 

Perhaps, though, it would assuage much of the team's concerns if we knew why another shuttle couldn't be sent, and why this individual was worth risking the lives of an entire shuttle and an item of great value to the war effort.

In any case, Tek will try and put this behind him and learn from it."
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 09:38:34 pm by Nunzillor »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 20, 2015, 09:40:11 pm »

"As long as we keep our minds on the glory of Steve and focus on following his divine will, all will go smoothly."
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #95 on: July 21, 2015, 12:39:53 pm »

"Yes sir no joyriding"

Begin checking a nearby vessel for any data or logs. In a careful and methodical fashion.
You've got Three action posts in this thread. Don't do that. Either edit the first one, or strike any older actions through, leaving only the one you want.

You walk over to the nearest ship but find it locked.

Quote from: Message to Lars
Permission to go look inside the colony proper, boss? Won't go inside, just wanna look in the door, see if this mossy shit is inside too.

As long as you don't get too close to the door. No one goes in yet.
Got it, boss.

Walk over towards the colony entrance, stop a few steps from the door. See if I can see the moss or any more bodies inside. Stop if the moss starts acting weird on the way over.

Also ask Steve if he knows of any weapon that would soup-ify people inside their suits.

You join up with lars and note that the mossy stuff isn't inside the colony.

>None that I know of, at least none specifically designed to do this. Theoretically There are several possibilities, mostly related to reality manipulation.  It would be very large scale though.

I activate my fiber-optic-fur, going invisible, and move towards the main colony entrance. I avoid the suits of liquid, but if there are bodies that look different then I'll stop and look at them.

You join Lars

"Soup. A suit full of soup! Just needs some chunks of potato, perhaps some carrots and onion, and you've got yourself a hearty meal."

Step carefully away from the corpse as Dubley goes to move it.
Use my suit's radio to scan for any radio signals. Ensure the volume is turned to minimum first, then turn it up very slowly once I've found/tuned into a signal. Don't want to learn the hard way that it was sound waves that reduced that poor soul to goop, after all.

There are a few radio signals, but they're all standard automated stuff. Nothing unusual.
"Thank you!"
After getting doodled on by Lars go in investigate that liquidized body Jobasio found.
"Huh, gross. I bet the science folks would want to study this."
Did we bring any artifact boxes big enough to hold Mr. Water Balloon? Either way, load him into the sod's shuttle. Also collect a container of the moss and put that in the shuttle.
Sods came in drop pods. Only shuttle here is yours.

You scoop up some of the moss and find it to be not moss but a thin sort of slime over stone. Very thin in fact, no more then maybe hair's breadth thick. You scoop up some of the stuff and stick it in a container that you then put back in the shuttle.
((pfp))

Brother Lars scanned around quickly.

"Dangerous situation here. Flint, you and three others check the hangar quickly. Nobody open your suit, or the suits of the dead. We're going to be moving fairly swiftly in here, so don't wander too far. Check the area; don't go inside until I say so. Alex and Jobaiso, can you check for any radio signals?"

He looked at Dubley. "Certainly, brother."

Inscribe the White Circle of Algis on the armor and shield of Dubley.

Go up to about fifteen feet from the entrance and look inside. Anything unusual?

((Shaporia, I have Alex as one of our Aux people. Am I assuming correctly? Not really able to check ATM))
You scribble the god sign on various things before walking over to the entrance and taking a look inside. Unsurprisingly, the entrance is not much more then a large room with a huge circular freight elevator in the center. Fairly standard subterranean colony plan. There are a few bodies in here as well, but no signs of trouble or violence.

Get an atmosphere reading with my suit, then just follow Lars while keeping a lookout, begin checking for radio signals, scanning different frequencies to check if there's any traffic.
The atmosphere seems mostly the same as it should be, according to the old data, but there's something off. Certain organic chemicals seem to be hanging around in the air; nothing dangerous but you generally don't find a planet with aerosolized phospholipids just floating around naturally.

Scan nearby bodies and the environment in general with cameyes for signs of trouble or interesting things. Continue to do so as I move.

Also switch Rainbow Cannon to Indigo Hydra mode and see if the heads point at anything other than Sods and Teammates.

Let's see if you see anything around here that I don't. Flint thought to his gun.

Ask Steve: :Steve, is this thing normal?: Flint said, indicating the green things on the ground. :I thought this planet's atmosphere was not suitable for life. This doesn't look like salt to me.:

Go towards the storage area. After carefully looking at its entrance and the cradle for any signs of recent activity (marks on the ground/goo, scorch marks on the cradle that have not been washed away by rain, etc.) or traps, enter along with the rest of my team and start slowly searching it for anything interesting. Logs, diaries, manifests, computers, clusters of dead bodies, suspicious looking containers, all those stuff.

If all looks clear, begin checking the landing pads, vehicles on them and the cradle for any signs of survivors, recent use or anything interesting.
The Bodies, if they can be called that, appear to be spacesuits full of human flesh slurry and a skeleton. Huh. As per the environment, there's nothing particularly of note here; nothing really out of place beyond the corpses and the open door. At least nothing that stands out thanks to your enhanced vision.

>Not suitable for multicellular life. There should be a fairly rich amount of extremeophiles but that slime covering isn't right. It shouldn't be there.

"Permission to inspect the dead?"

Tek gestured for one of the sods to come over.  "Salutations and comb bless you, space marine.  Can you determine if these bodies are arranged in any sort of pattern?  Can you produce a map of the bodies or analyze their placement?"

Ask a sod.  Cautiously examine the bodies.  Leverage medical knowledge to determine the times and causes of death.  Don't open any suits.
The sod doesn't seem to listen to you, or can't understand you, or maybe just can't work out how to respond.

As per the bodies, whatever did this appears to have liquified the soft tissue, leaving only the bones. You have no idea what could have caused this; but it probably wasn't an illness. These bodies have some resemblance to those who die of hemorrhagic fever, the disintegration of the body, however the slurry inside the suits is still "Fresh"; not rotted or feasted upon by microorganisms. Even if the suit was sealed, the normal bacteria on their bodies should have done something. It's very odd.

Disembark and stick close to ... Flint. He has the biggest gun and an interest in my survival.

Look around the area and see if I can, in my professional opinion, determine what happened to all the dead people other than 'dun got liquidized'. Don't touch the bodies too much or get very far from my teammates though.

You have no real idea either. It's not like anything you've ever seen or heard of. But you would wager it wasn't natural.
Scan the area for anything the sods may have missed.

I-Is the atmosphere breathable?
Stay a good distance from the bodies and the medics working on them. Keep an eye on the open door to the colony. Notify everyone immediately of any movement seen.
Help out searching the hangar

"We should probably look for data on what happened right? Do you think some of the other ships might have something?"
:Anyone want to accompany me in searching the storage area? Do we have any brave men or women amongst us? Or am I going to have to start ordering you guys? Eh?:

""Yes, I'll help you out with that. Flint right?

Help out in searching the hanger. Take a reading of the atmosphere with my suit if possible.
:Anyone want to accompany me in searching the storage area? Do we have any brave men or women amongst us? Or am I going to have to start ordering you guys? Eh?:
If you're still looking for help, I'll join you.
Help search the storage area

The storage area is much like the rest of the landing zone; there are bodies here, but otherwise it seems completely normal. There are large metal shipping containers, a few oversized forklift like machines for moving the containers, large areas of empty space marked out with painted lines to show where more containers would go; it all looks completely mundane. There are no boxes that have been broken open from the inside, no open vats labeled "Deadly space virus, keep lid closed", no mysterious bloody footprints leading away into the wilderness. Nothing. The bodies show no signs of violence and, eerily enough, look as though they just dropped dead in the midst of doing whatever normal tasks they were up to. There are data pads, tools, and similar things near their bodies, but no weapons, and the data pads reveal nothing either. There's no landing on the big departures and arrivals bulletin board on the supervisor's office wall, no signs that anyone came or left anytime recently.

There's just nothing. 

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 21, 2015, 12:56:59 pm »

:These bodies are very strange. Liquidized, sure, but with the skeleton still intact and no decomposition, which means they're either relatively fresh or something's preserving them somehow. I don't believe anything natural did this.:
Sig! Onol

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #97 on: July 21, 2015, 12:57:24 pm »

:It all looks clear here in the hangar. Just more people that look like they turned into man soup where they stood, leaving only skeletons intact. Everything organic appears to have turned into soup. There is no sign of an external trigger, no recent arrivals, no sign they were aware that something is wrong. I could try opening a few containers but cameye scans revealed nothing of interest. I doubt I'd find anything useful. Anyone else find anything?:

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 21, 2015, 01:04:50 pm »

:The goop isn't inside the colony proper. Haven't checked the bodies to see if they're the same flavor of dead.:

:This shit couldn't have come from nowhere, if it didn't come from outside it had to come from within. Think they synthesized it, or maybe hit in when doing some new construction? Steve also said there's a chance it could be related to large-scale reality manipulation...that could mesh with the fact that whatever happened looks like it happened real damn fast. It's all speculation right now though.:
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 01:18:53 pm by Hapah »
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 21, 2015, 01:19:36 pm »

Lars said a quick prayer for the dead over the coms.  "Brothers and sisters, I think it's clear, but do not open your suits for any reason, nor the suits of the dead.  We'll bring one of the dead with us on the way out, but for now let's leave them where they lie.  I don't think anything in the freight area is going to tell us anything; let's start moving in.  Everyone to the elevator; I'll lead.  O Great Glorious Steve, do we have a map of the colony interior?"

Be the first one inside, then look around and inspect the room from the inside.  Ask Steve for maps.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 02:17:01 pm by Toaster »
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #100 on: July 21, 2015, 01:20:55 pm »

:So it's very likely that the goo outside represents transformed organic compounds in the atmosphere and dissolved extremophile bacteria. That the bodies were preserved because there was nothing left to decompose them, nothing left, not even microorganisms.:

:Hmmm... The altered are known for being involved with large scale genetic manipulation. They somehow triggered multiple mutations across many solar systems, all on people that had been previously infected through gene modding. Maybe this is something similar. A signal that instead of mutating something constructively (as constructive as the altered can be, anyway) caused all organic structures to break down, from largest to smallest.:

:Or maybe it's some sort of superweapon. The UWM was bound to make one eventually. Or maybe just an alien artifact that accidentally or intentionally did this. I heard we have a Deathcube that can do something similar on a smaller scale.:

:Either way, it doesn't sound good. If it killed everyone and everything in the surrounding area or maybe even the entire planet, then the same thing could happen again. And all of us would die. We should probably be extra careful with anything we come close to down there. And maybe move a bit more quickly, in case we're already on a timer.:

:Although, if that signal can break down organics... There's always the chance it can reform them. Reform them into something very, very nasty.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 01:28:36 pm by Parisbre56 »

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 21, 2015, 01:22:32 pm »

Dubley radios to Lars: "I would like to investigate one of the small ships before moving on. Maybe it has some data. You can go on ahead, I'll catch up soon."

Go investigate the small ship that Ben was trying to get into. First try to hack the door open, if that doesn't work try to open the lock with my box of generic tools, and if that doesn't work just tear the door open with my exoskeleton strength.

Search inside the ship for any data or clues about what happened. Also any equipment.
And check if its working, just in case we need to use it.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 03:18:35 pm by NAV »
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #102 on: July 21, 2015, 01:36:31 pm »

C-could this be similar to the Eater on mission 18? D-do you know of any unusual comet or meteor activity?
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 21, 2015, 01:39:03 pm »

Stick near the shuttle for now, and analyze the slime stuff on the ground. Try to determine what it is and/or what formed it, is it growing, etc. Also analyze the atmosphere if it's possible for me to do that (mainly so I can get IC knowledge of the particulates).
Also keep an eye on the Sods, see if they're doing alright. Do they have suits on?

:I will investigate this slime on the ground just to make sure it isn't going to come alive and eat our legs or somesuch. If my services are required I will be near the shuttle.:
Sig! Onol

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #104 on: July 21, 2015, 01:51:07 pm »

@Lars: :I agree that we should keep moving to the inside of the colony, but some of the others seem to want to investigate the outside some more. Do you want to wait ((another turn)), split up or just order them down?:
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 01:56:21 pm by Parisbre56 »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 23