Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 31

Author Topic: Mission 23: Thing that Goes Bump in the Night  (Read 53712 times)

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
Re: Mission 23: Thing that Goes Bump in the Night
« Reply #345 on: October 17, 2015, 07:28:17 am »

Quote from: RE:Dester
I am not currently busy, and so will be able to assist. Orders?
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: October 17, 2015, 05:39:06 pm »

Quote from: Dester to: Petra
work with the others to keep the lines of people moving smoothly. Identify people who are nervous and reassure them. Identify potential hostiles and weed them out, or take them aside and have the others subdue them, preferably out of sight and hearing of the rest. oversee this process and train up any of our hirelings who are trustworthy to do the same, so that you and the others can be freed up for other things afterward. remember, we are making a system that should work without us in the end. Also, communicate with the doctors and staff to see if there are any concerns from their side.

Thank you for your willingness to jump in. with the team we have, we could actually pull this off. I wonder if all our missions are this challenging, or if we just got the short end of the stick this time. Kinda makes you wish you had signed up for that college one, huh?

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: October 17, 2015, 05:40:38 pm »

Quote from: RE: Dester
Yeah. They're probably hanging out back at the ship now. Can't say I envy the colony guys. I'm not the smartest tool in the shed, but even I can tell that that is totally a trap.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: October 17, 2015, 06:52:29 pm »

Quote from: Vincent to: Dester
Is it alright if Petra handles this one? I can come back up in an emergency, but I have a quite a bit of work ahead of me laying the groundwork for my plan

(Man I wish that conversation  between you and Petra was viewable to Vincent,  he would totally comment about how nice it was to finally not have to constantly fear death (Vincent's mission track record isn't that great) )
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 06:54:12 pm by Kedly »
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))
The fedora guy has potentially lethal amounts of swag :v

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: October 17, 2015, 07:26:03 pm »

Quote from: Dester to: Vincent
Sure, that's probably fine. Keep informed of how it's going though, in case you are needed. I'm glad you are thinking long term, because we are still supposed to make this thing self sufficient. But we do have a time crunch for some reason. Typical top level bureaucracy, probably.

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: October 17, 2015, 07:53:46 pm »

Will do, and if I could hazard a guess as to why the rush order, I imagine, based off of my previous history with running missions for Steve, that someone screwed up badly enough, or something went significantly wrong enough, to warrant a modification or change of plans. We lucked out being able to go on such a relatively safe *fingers crossed* mission. I've only been on a few missions now, but I've already died once, watched five allies be absorbed by a fire demon, and had to outrun an orbital bombardment because two of my teammates merged into the most fucked up monstrosity I have ever laid witness too and started growing/singing/laughing/setting everything on fire... Fuck I wish I could forget that last one... I think I place dying as a better experience than that
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 10:28:01 pm by Kedly »
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: October 17, 2015, 09:12:19 pm »

Dester has the right idea. Assist in any way I can. Probably just performing surgeries.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: October 17, 2015, 09:12:50 pm »

Follow Dester's orders.
Sigtext!

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: October 18, 2015, 02:56:04 am »

Dester has the right idea. Assist in any way I can. Probably just performing surgeries.
you can oversee the doctors and continue overseeinghte establishment of secondary locations too. I put that in my orders up in my action post.

Is it alright if Petra handles this one? I can come back up in an emergency, but I have a quite a bit of work ahead of me laying the groundwork for my plan

(Man I wish that conversation  between you and Petra was viewable to Vincent,  he would totally comment about how nice it was to finally not have to constantly fear death (Vincent's mission track record isn't that great) )
((I kinda wish I had cc'd that to him. I made a funny, though Dester sees nothing funny about the situation. Well, except for the cat ears and tail on our stasis sick leader. And the orangutan or whichever primate we have wandering the Alpha base.))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #354 on: October 19, 2015, 11:05:16 am »

Get hired at the shipping company (preferably a managment level position, but I can work my way up from lower if need be), go to work. Research prisons and prisoner labour companies that are with communication distance, during my non-work hours (during spare work hours if I am in a management position)
We can put you in management.

And as per your research, what exactly are you looking to find?

Find something exciting to do.
Addendum: do exciting thing detailed by acting-boss below.

Allow Manuel to do whatever it likes.

Alright.

Basically, Gus wants a conventional weapon that's small enough that he can completely conceal it in his pants or sleeves, but powerful enough to neutralize any homeless people/cultists that try to jump him. It should be relatively simple to operate, considering Gus' intelligence and the fact that he expects to be able to retrieve and fire it quickly. I would prefer it to be legal, but fitting the aforementioned requirements is of considerably higher priority. Bonus points if it's shiny.

I wouldn't consider this action high-priority by any means; Gus is just taking advantage of the loose budget. If the sons approve it, I would like to import several of whatever weapon we settle on... at least enough to go around.

Any reason the existing pistols that other people have wouldn't fill this need?

To the SonHow about keeping it vague? Offer to take them "away from the trouble." if they are desperate, they'll sign up. But let's make it a progression. Start with vague, and if that gets too few takers, expand to telling them we are going off world. If that gets too few, then offer on world transportation. In the third situation, if asked, simply explain that it is the fastest and safest way to get large groups of refugees a reasonable distance quickly, efficiently, and with a minimum of overhead. In fact, why even explain about stasis at all? Let them come in for transport, have a doctor come and anesthetize them, and then put them into stasis. They don't need to see the pods. If they ask about the anesthesia, simply say they will be at their destination when they awake. Hmm, this might be a good place for Gus, Xael, or Jesse to remain on hand, to handle any unruly customers getting cold feet.

Quote from: Dester to: Gus, Xael, Jesse
We might need your expertise near the operating room for the foreseeable future. We are planning on an influx of refugees, and they might get cold feet. We need one or more of you to ensure cooperation and quietness, so that any negative stories might not get out and cause us problems.

Orders (based on the following conversations):
Vincent is to work his plan of getting hired in and rising up the ranks, while pushing public opinion through letters and whatever. He is to be ready to assist in crowd control as needed.

Petra is to use her talents to keep people calm and orderly as we ramp up refugee operations as well as our standard ops. She is also to train our hired hands to do the same.

Gus and Xael are to help act as crowd control and also train up security for our operations for when we leave. they are to try to quietly remove threats, including refugees who get cold feet at the idea of an operation or sedation. the idea is to get whoever we can sedated and into stasis, while anyone too troublesome will stop being a problem. By being dead.

Ryan is to coordinate the doctors and staff and address any concerns there, as well as oversee the establishment and advanceent of our secondary locations.

Jesse is currently a very useful footstool, and sometimes a doorstop. If he objects,, he can always join gus and Xael, or go cause additional trouble in the lower stacks.

Skylar is an entertaining mascot. Manuel is an inert mascot.
((posted since several persons' actions were "follow Dester's orders"))

Alright, we'll assume that Vincent can work his way up to a commanding position in the company, mostly through our help. We'll also assume that he continues to work to sway the public towards...Not sure the exact thing you're trying to sway them towards. We'll go with "Increased action by the police in response to the cult activities".

We'll assume Petra works as the face and controller of the refugee recruiting. That particular operation will be producing a few hundred viable individuals every week. Enough to keep the facility running almost 24/7.

Gus and Xael work on solving problems and are pretty successful. However, they let one or two people get away and there are scattered rumors that refugees are being sold into slavery or other similarly vague but not great for business urban legends.

Ryan coordinates things without issue. Doctors are happy enough but the work is long so they're starting to fatigue from the amount of patients.

Jesse holds your drinks on his head, and skylar has been relocated into a corner and been posed holding a "Try your best!" Sign.

Manuel and the Mini-orangutan appear to have become friends.

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: October 19, 2015, 12:18:41 pm »

During spare work hours, research cheap places to ship prisoners to if nowhere will buy them, but, even better to find would be places that would BUY prisoners. Legal enough that it can be used as a cover as to why our shioping company is pushing to have prisoners sent our way. During off hours, write up news articles and opinion pieces to direct public scorn further towards the cult, and prisoners in general.
Spoiler: Examples (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 05:53:17 pm by Kedly »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: October 19, 2015, 12:28:49 pm »

Attempt to do some not-technically-tinkering on a datapad. The SPACELAW will live!

EDIT: Do NOT get possessed by an alien god.
You know what, that's a bad idea and I have a better one. The spacegod is the "Lurker in the Angles", right? Well, he just left those angles, meaning that they are rife for someone to sneak into them and steal all it's power!
Use my Lurking power that I got from russian roulette to Lurk into the angles formerly occupied by the Lurker in the Angles.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 06:40:35 pm by Egan_BW »

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: October 19, 2015, 01:24:28 pm »

Head down lower in the stacks, preferably not low enough to run into these cult bastards, and start looking for anyone that looks like they're down on their luck. See what I can do about getting a small gang set up, use some cash from the Sons to buy a safe house not connected to us, and make sure to bring a handgun and a knife.
I still want to do this, don't think I ever actually recruited anyone :v

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:SKULKING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: October 19, 2015, 04:11:01 pm »

Any reason the existing pistols that other people have wouldn't fill this need?

I got the impression that the mauler pistols really weren't designed for stealth. I guess I was wrong?

Also, how many people has Gus had to shoot? He's a civilian with no prior combat experience or (legitimate) criminal record, so these numbers matter to him.

As I continue doing my job, continue to imagine the patients as cattle. Gus would rather not contemplate the ethics of any of this.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
No actions this post.
« Reply #359 on: October 19, 2015, 05:03:17 pm »

Couple hundred a week? Looks like we are currently on pace to fill quota in five years or so. We'll need to focus on expansion if we want to hit our quota in a year. More doctors, more staff, more charitable outreaches, more connection with the police.

Doctor fatigue means we need to recruit more, and allow for a rotation amongst the current staff for time off.
Head down lower in the stacks, preferably not low enough to run into these cult bastards, and start looking for anyone that looks like they're down on their luck. See what I can do about getting a small gang set up, use some cash from the Sons to buy a safe house not connected to us, and make sure to bring a handgun and a knife.
I still want to do this, don't think I ever actually recruited anyone :v
Okay, but gimme my drink first :P

I got the impression that the mauler pistols really weren't designed for stealth. I guess I was wrong?
They are actually. That is why Dester has one.

About those urban legends. I wonder what the effect would be if we were to pitch a television show centered around some kind of refugee slavery ring?
On a more serious note, creating a second, unrelated refugee slave ring via some of our more disposable criminal contacts might help, as we could expose the ring anonymously, and divert attention, as long as there are no direct connections back to us or our facilities.

Hmm, that's all I can think of for the moment.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 31