Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 31

Author Topic: Mission 23: Thing that Goes Bump in the Night  (Read 53745 times)

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: Mission 23: Thing that Goes Bump in the Night
« Reply #330 on: October 13, 2015, 06:31:21 pm »

Action post.

To the SonThis cult ... I bet a lot of people will be wanting to flee the lower stacks right about now. I think a primary goal right now would be to draw in those refugees. Let's get them out of harm's way ... and into potentially worse... Dester's frown changes to one of self loathing. It is with some difficulty that he regains control of his features and continues. Weshouod start compartmentalizing - send refugees to one location, criminals to another, others to a third, so we can keep our activities looking relatively unrelated. No sense giving people the idea that we are manufacturing trouble for nefarious purposes.

Do you think it would be possible to get access to the corpses after the firefights? Perhaps, if we get to them quickly enough, we could get them in stasis and ship some damaged goods. I understand that medical on the other end can work wonders with slightly abused material, as long as heads are intact. Of course, there is risk of being on-site of a firefight near the time it all goes down ... ugh. Plus, this will be urban warfare, so it's not going to be in one nice tidy place. Damn. Blah. Keep pushing for export over annihilation.

I can't think of a good response to your concerns over the paperwork for indenture, except the length of time interstellar travel takes. Won't it be years, even decades, before it matters? Especially if the work is on the far fringes of habitated space. And if hazard pay is included in the fine print, we could mysteriously lose whole shipments of workers with little more than a "you were warned about the risks." Hmm, it might not be sustainable over centuries, but it could work in the short term, while our other projects get more firmly established.

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: October 13, 2015, 06:43:36 pm »

"I can skip the contracts with actual prison planets, but I figure that the more legitimate we play this, the less likely we'll get caught, which is why I am trying to make us at least a small bit of profit out of this. The profit will give the reason as to why we are pushing for this, money is a vastly less suspicious motivator than charity on these planets. To combat the issue of cross checking I will be setting up deals with 3-5 different prison's, that way it will be harder to track down a lost prisoner here and there. As to why I wish to tip off the cult, we need to keep the crime spike hugh and ongoing if we are going to get prisoners, if the law enforcement's plan of a purge goes too well, the crime rate will go back to being where it was before... low. If I tip off the cult, we can tip the scales in our favour, and maybe the police won't be as successful. I do agree though that the cult is probably a high threat, one in which we do not want direct contact with." Vincent thinks for a moment about how he is actually making things worse on this planet for it's most exploited residents, before continuing "Actually, having one of the 3 and up prisons actually just be our testing facility is a good plan, we'll end up with a higher amount of prisoners that way, and probably won't even have to have any 'Disappear' on the way to the other prisons"
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 06:47:31 pm by Kedly »
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))
The fedora guy has potentially lethal amounts of swag :v

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: October 13, 2015, 06:56:02 pm »

That cult has grown, and is in control of several levels of the stack. I think they can handle themselves. Besides, we want the police to think we are on their side. We do not want it getting back to someone in power that we were playing both sides. I don't think the government will contain this quickly or without cost to themselves and to society as a whole in the stacks.

I expect the cult will take a hit, but will scatter rather than face a final showdown en masse. they will spread, and violence will rise. I think the fallout will be: a rise in frefugees seeking to escape the lower stacks at all costs, some economic and social disorder in the middle stacks, and some political chaos in the places of power, increased police activity, including crackdowns on other crimes and a more hardline approach in general.

The refugees will be good for business, and if we play our cards right, the police crackdown will be good for us, too. It could secure our contracts as prisoner exporters.

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: October 13, 2015, 06:58:58 pm »

"I have no plans to tip them off personally, but I suppose you're right, we don't know whom else they have informed about the incoming purge, so if they suddenly found out that the cult knew they were coming, suspicion could be raised, I'll cancel that part of the plan then"
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: October 13, 2015, 07:04:28 pm »

thank you. Keep thinking of ways to profit from this though. The police are leaning our way, but their current plans won't do us much good, and the public and higher officials are not yet crying out for the solutions we can provide. Maybe yo ucould explore the world of false papers? Apparently we are worried abotu tipping people off due to paperwork and cross checks, so if you could work on making additional businesses, like some off-world mining company with contracts in distant parts of the galaxy that are in need of indentures, that might help.

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: October 13, 2015, 07:11:22 pm »

"Prisoner labour companies... Right! I hadn't thought of that, If I can get them involved that would be better and draw less suspicion. I'll check them out along with any other company that might actually pay us for prisoners as well as the prisons. After I get the prisoner shipments set up, I can definitely start falsifying/legitimizing our other exports as well. I'd still like to do the least harm where possible though, so I'm going to focus on the prisoners first

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: October 13, 2015, 08:58:13 pm »

Annoyance...

All it takes it a little push for "annoying" to become "Get these fuckers out of here!"

Make it a law for homelessness to be illegal. This won't really affect the lower stacks very much - law enforcement down there has much more to worry about, like blood cults - but it'll "clean up" the middle stacks and we, a "private incarceration company" can swoop in and ship the illegally homeless and other, harder criminals out to an "off-world incarceration unit" in a purposefully vague location.

On this note, how hard would it be to create a suitably real mock-up of photographs of various levels of security prisons?

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #337 on: October 16, 2015, 02:08:56 pm »

Going to put this in phases, so you can decide how far along with this I get in one turn

Phase 1: Have the sons set up an identity for me for our shipping company, as someone who is ambitious and rising up through the company quickly, along with some passable back history (also have the sons use some contacts (do not meet the cult personally) to let the cult know that the upper stacks are preparing a purge on them)

Phase 2: Using the created personality, attempt to make contact with the 10 cheapest per prisoner 'for profit' prison planets (or similar super huge prisons), and on the information that our shipping company may be in the position soon to ship a large amount of prisoners, attempt to get as low a price per prisoner as possible from them, look for companies that would actually PAY for prisoners as well... Bargain hard, prefer the paying companies over the companies we would have to pay, but in the end if we can only pay prisons to take the inmates, accept the 5 lowest to buy prisons

Phase 3: Using my shipping company personality, establish contact with those that Ozarck was in contact with regarding the exportation of prisoners, and let them know we have contacts (do not let them know who these contacts are) who are willing to accept prisoners for cheap, bargain hard to attempt to make a profit off of the transaction, but be willing to go as low as a 10% profit loss per prisoner

Phase 4: Let sons/someone else figure out the ratio of how many prisoners go "missing" on the way to prison planets list where we are sending bodies to as another one of the prisoners on the list (not where they are actually going to though, just a fake out location/company)

Explain plan to Ozrack
You can get phase 1 done.

However, you're gonna have to build that up and comer persona yourself. We can get you in but it's not like we can tell all the employees that you've been there and you're quickly rising up the ranks. All we can do is help you build that fiction yourself.

Hey, remember that time someone looked at the AM's inventions in tinker and you described how all those things were made before tinker was a program? It was just a bunch of documents and stuff. So no, one does not need VR to tinker. :P
Just get a computer or whatever and make some deathtubes. We can send it along to steve next time we're in contact.

Now put the cat tail on Skyler. Our vision will be complete! Just as soon as we can convince one of the medics to change his sex...

Do those cultists have some sort of big hideout? Preferably one with lots of vents. If so, send Manuel on an "information gathering" mission.
It's not really tinker then.

Cat tail done. 

Also, He's Kri-gendered so you can call him a Cat-Kri.

You have no idea. Info is a bit fuzzy beyond the horror story generalities.

Ask the sons if we could fabricate some news stories tying homeless people to the cult. Also, about the aforementioned weapons: Gus would like a list of concealable weapons, lethal and non lethal, we could feasibly import.
We can do that.

Also, no, that would be an endless list I don't feel like fabricating, Lethal and non-lethal. Alright. For what purpose? What Size? Legal or illegal?

I'm basically making you a weapon depending on the input so asking me to list every possible weapon is the wrong way to go about this.

Action post.

To the SonThis cult ... I bet a lot of people will be wanting to flee the lower stacks right about now. I think a primary goal right now would be to draw in those refugees. Let's get them out of harm's way ... and into potentially worse... Dester's frown changes to one of self loathing. It is with some difficulty that he regains control of his features and continues. Weshouod start compartmentalizing - send refugees to one location, criminals to another, others to a third, so we can keep our activities looking relatively unrelated. No sense giving people the idea that we are manufacturing trouble for nefarious purposes.

Do you think it would be possible to get access to the corpses after the firefights? Perhaps, if we get to them quickly enough, we could get them in stasis and ship some damaged goods. I understand that medical on the other end can work wonders with slightly abused material, as long as heads are intact. Of course, there is risk of being on-site of a firefight near the time it all goes down ... ugh. Plus, this will be urban warfare, so it's not going to be in one nice tidy place. Damn. Blah. Keep pushing for export over annihilation.

I can't think of a good response to your concerns over the paperwork for indenture, except the length of time interstellar travel takes. Won't it be years, even decades, before it matters? Especially if the work is on the far fringes of habitated space. And if hazard pay is included in the fine print, we could mysteriously lose whole shipments of workers with little more than a "you were warned about the risks." Hmm, it might not be sustainable over centuries, but it could work in the short term, while our other projects get more firmly established.

"We can do that. Should we be offering services specifically off world or tell them that we're taking them somewhere else on the planet? The second option will get more takers, but might be harder to explain us stuffing them into stasis. It will also attract families, including children."

Annoyance...

All it takes it a little push for "annoying" to become "Get these fuckers out of here!"

Make it a law for homelessness to be illegal. This won't really affect the lower stacks very much - law enforcement down there has much more to worry about, like blood cults - but it'll "clean up" the middle stacks and we, a "private incarceration company" can swoop in and ship the illegally homeless and other, harder criminals out to an "off-world incarceration unit" in a purposefully vague location.

On this note, how hard would it be to create a suitably real mock-up of photographs of various levels of security prisons?

You can't just make it a law, but we can try to push for something like that. Though it might be a bit hard. At least until we can associate homelessness with the cult. We can assume that has happened already, but still, they'll end up in jail not in our pods.

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: October 16, 2015, 02:17:43 pm »

Get hired at the shipping company (preferably a managment level position, but I can work my way up from lower if need be), go to work. Research prisons and prisoner labour companies that are with communication distance, during my non-work hours (during spare work hours if I am in a management position)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: October 16, 2015, 02:31:50 pm »

Find something exciting to do.
Addendum: do exciting thing detailed by acting-boss below.

Allow Manuel to do whatever it likes.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 07:56:51 pm by Egan_BW »

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:SKULKING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: October 16, 2015, 07:31:50 pm »

Basically, Gus wants a conventional weapon that's small enough that he can completely conceal it in his pants or sleeves, but powerful enough to neutralize any homeless people/cultists that try to jump him. It should be relatively simple to operate, considering Gus' intelligence and the fact that he expects to be able to retrieve and fire it quickly. I would prefer it to be legal, but fitting the aforementioned requirements is of considerably higher priority. Bonus points if it's shiny.

I wouldn't consider this action high-priority by any means; Gus is just taking advantage of the loose budget. If the sons approve it, I would like to import several of whatever weapon we settle on... at least enough to go around.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: October 16, 2015, 09:54:32 pm »

To the SonHow about keeping it vague? Offer to take them "away from the trouble." if they are desperate, they'll sign up. But let's make it a progression. Start with vague, and if that gets too few takers, expand to telling them we are going off world. If that gets too few, then offer on world transportation. In the third situation, if asked, simply explain that it is the fastest and safest way to get large groups of refugees a reasonable distance quickly, efficiently, and with a minimum of overhead. In fact, why even explain about stasis at all? Let them come in for transport, have a doctor come and anesthetize them, and then put them into stasis. They don't need to see the pods. If they ask about the anesthesia, simply say they will be at their destination when they awake. Hmm, this might be a good place for Gus, Xael, or Jesse to remain on hand, to handle any unruly customers getting cold feet.

Quote from: Dester to: Gus, Xael, Jesse
We might need your expertise near the operating room for the foreseeable future. We are planning on an influx of refugees, and they might get cold feet. We need one or more of you to ensure cooperation and quietness, so that any negative stories might not get out and cause us problems.

Orders (based on the following conversations):
Vincent is to work his plan of getting hired in and rising up the ranks, while pushing public opinion through letters and whatever. He is to be ready to assist in crowd control as needed.

Petra is to use her talents to keep people calm and orderly as we ramp up refugee operations as well as our standard ops. She is also to train our hired hands to do the same.

Gus and Xael are to help act as crowd control and also train up security for our operations for when we leave. they are to try to quietly remove threats, including refugees who get cold feet at the idea of an operation or sedation. the idea is to get whoever we can sedated and into stasis, while anyone too troublesome will stop being a problem. By being dead.

Ryan is to coordinate the doctors and staff and address any concerns there, as well as oversee the establishment and advanceent of our secondary locations.

Jesse is currently a very useful footstool, and sometimes a doorstop. If he objects,, he can always join gus and Xael, or go cause additional trouble in the lower stacks.

Skylar is an entertaining mascot. Manuel is an inert mascot.
((posted since several persons' actions were "follow Dester's orders"))
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 02:51:56 am by Ozarck »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: October 16, 2015, 11:42:21 pm »

Quote from: Dester to: Gus, Xael, Jesse
We might need your expertise near the operating room for the foreseeable future. We are planning on an influx of refugees, and they might get cold feet. We need one or more of you to ensure cooperation and quietness, so that any negative stories might not get out and cause us problems.
Quote from: Xael to: Dester
Can do, I was getting bored around here anyway. You want armed guard or concealed carry? Former is more up my alley, but you're the boss.

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:SKULKING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: October 17, 2015, 12:25:55 am »

Quote from: Gus to whassisfacebossynewbieguywiththebrains
Your word is my command, Duster. You point, I... guard stuff. The goodies I'm havin' in the mail should help with the corralling the patients thing.

Gus laughs at his own wordplay: corralling, he said. As if the patients... as if the patients were cattle. There was something about farm animals- Gus found them simultaneously fascinating and amusing.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: October 17, 2015, 01:54:24 am »

Quote from: Dester to:Xael, Gus
The goal is to get them in without causing more noise than they would otherwise. Open carry is fine, though. Try to look like you are there for their protection, so as not to make people worry. Nervous people cause problems. I'll see if Vincent or Petra will help herd the flock, so to speak

Quote from: Dester to:Vincent, Petra
We may have an influx of refugees fleeing that cult and the trouble it is bringing. We're planning on using that to offer people a safe way out of that danger, but I expect that some people will be nervous or observant enough to react to being put in stasis for a simple relocation. If you are available, your charms might help keep people moving through in an orderly fashion. Xael and Gus are ready to stand by as guards and to keep things quiet, should trouble arise. Both are itching for some action, too, so maybe we'd want to take people in waves, with the more troublesome looking ones coming in smaller groups, isolated from the rest.

Vincent, I know you have another project going, so this might be a bit of a time management challenge for you. I'm sure you are up to it though.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 31