Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Why does everyone hate elves?  (Read 7546 times)

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
Re: Why does everyone hate elves?
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2015, 11:10:38 am »

Tree cutting is supposed to be UNTHINKABLE to Elves, and routine for Dwarves.  Think of dealing with a country where the cars run on ground-up toddler brains.

So the way that DF is set up, Elves hate Dwarves, which the Dwarves rationalize, and the players internalize via role-playing.  The surrounding context I mentioned above (Dwarves kinda picked on in pop fantasy literature) skews the kind of people who'd be interested in a game about Dwarves, and might affect the propensity to role-play.

For the record, I don't hate DF Elves, which seem much closer to Elfquest Wolfriders than LoTR Rivendell Elves.  But they are designed to be uneasy allies.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2015, 11:15:17 am »

Tree cutting is supposed to be UNTHINKABLE to Elves, and routine for Dwarves.  Think of dealing with a country where the cars run on ground-up toddler brains.

So the way that DF is set up, Elves hate Dwarves, which the Dwarves rationalize, and the players internalize via role-playing.  The surrounding context I mentioned above (Dwarves kinda picked on in pop fantasy literature) skews the kind of people who'd be interested in a game about Dwarves, and might affect the propensity to role-play.

For the record, I don't hate DF Elves, which seem much closer to Elfquest Wolfriders than LoTR Rivendell Elves.  But they are designed to be uneasy allies.

Exactly. While I dislike elves, I like their design and ethical values. It brings a layer of depth to what would otherwise be a world filled with short, tall, and medium-sized humans.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2015, 03:50:54 pm »

Yeah, I love the way Toady implemented elves.e

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2015, 06:06:50 pm »

Yeah, genocidal hatred of goblins would be a bit too uncool and on-the-nose, while the elves thing is both humourous and edgy.
One wheel short of a wagon

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2015, 06:08:26 pm »

humourous and edgy

We B12 crew have one dark and twisted sense of humor.  8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2015, 02:36:59 pm »

I don't hate elves. I tolerate them just fine.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

ClorrProdigal

• Bay Watcher
  • My God! It's full of dwarves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2015, 07:50:46 pm »

Apart from trading with them, I don't have any problem with elves. Its kobolds that I can't stand; they can't talk and all they do is attack you and try to steal your stuff. Dang things can't even put up a fight.

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2015, 07:53:28 pm »

Apart from trading with them, I don't have any problem with elves. Its kobolds that I can't stand; they can't talk and all they do is attack you and try to steal your stuff. Dang things can't even put up a fight.

ClorrProdigal

• Bay Watcher
  • My God! It's full of dwarves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2015, 10:26:01 pm »

Its not even using that stolen underwear for its intended purpose! Beating peasants bandits to death.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 10:28:12 pm by ClorrProdigal »

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2015, 11:03:29 pm »

A master thief is no pushover. I saw multiple moderately good fighters decked out in steel fall to a master thief.

I too have a small amount of innate hate for the elves, even when playing other races like Draconians, Civilized Gorillas, Gnomes, and Humans... It all started on the fifth of Slate, 751...

The Overseer had come to the depot, everyone could feel his presence. He looked through the Elves measly offerings, scoffing at flying squirrels and hamsters. Some berries... A few barrels... This was all they had to offer? Pathetic! I want this caravan slai- El-ele... Elephants? Four of them? THREE FEMALES AND A MALE?!? Every bauble and golden trinket in the fort was trudged to the trade depot by grumbling dwarves, weighed down by massive bins filled to the brim with billon, golden, and obsidian crafts. Finally, the Overseer thought this was a good enough amount of money to pay back the Elves with. Surely, they deserve a large amount of money for bringing us four ele- What? What do you mean, offended? But.. But... MY ELEPHANTS!!!... Kill them all.

So basically, the elves offered me a triplet of breeding elephants when spore breeding was still a thing, that could've given my fort a massive boost in military power, but noooooo... They rejected me and tried to leave with my elephants over a few dozen bins. I sent my military after them, but the donkey with all four elephants on his back managed to get away. Since that day, I've carried a deep mistrust for elves, no matter how many giant tigers, rinos, and elephants they bring me.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 11:17:00 pm by StagnantSoul »
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2015, 11:12:08 am »

Even though I'm probably the only DF player that likes them, why do you guys hate elves? Honestly I don't hate them or love them.

DF elves are insufferably smug hypocritical cannibals, who's primary trade goods are useless wooden armor and rope-reed thongs, (If you're lucky, there MAY be one or two awesome tamed animals, but that's hit-or-miss), and who get horribly offended and leave if you fail to notice that one of the many trade-goods you are offering them was decorated with a single piece of cut clear glass.

I don't dislike them the way that most DF players seem to, but the way they're written makes them hard to actually like.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 11:16:22 am by MobRules »
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".
Pages: 1 [2]