Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: [ISG] You, are the Dungeons Master  (Read 5361 times)

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [ISG] You, are the Dungeon Master
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2015, 05:12:21 pm »

Am I the only one who's thought how how powerful using necromancy and demonology together? Demon possessed skeletons, extremely strong zombies? Even though I wanted machines :(.

Well, it seems there is quite the interest in us being able to create mechanical beings.
Still, I am unconvinced that they alone would make a good faction, especially without our actor being overpowered. Because if building your own faction from scratch doesn't fit that bill, what would, right?

As such, I decided to not allow the machine faction, but I'll offer you this compromise instead;

If you choose either Wizard or Reaver Archetype, you will have the following option to choose from next "turn":

Experimental Golemancer: Start with the ability to construct magical constructs

That way, we would actually have even more diversity, I would not have to make ammendments to the economy system due to a mindless faction, nor give our actor severe drawbacks due to being overpowered / toning down the constructs themselves.

For those wondering, there are about 10 of such options to choose from, and 2 points to do so - but really, that would be for next turn.

On the other note, yes, Bay12 has some morbid fascination with necromancy and the undead.
Maybe it is trauma from settling in those pesky purple areas, or too close to a tower.
Maybe it stems from getting mangled once-too-often by the zombies in adventurer mode, or the fun to be had should one prevail against them.
Either way, the majority has spoken ;3

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2015, 05:33:15 pm »

You, are the Dungeon Master
Turn 0

Ah, right;
You are Zane, A Skeletal Reaver Enchanter - though you personally prefer the term "Necromonoclenomancer", as you tend to chiefly enchant your two monocles.

How you came into power, was a long and arduous affair, spanning several decades of dedication, slaughtering your share of the living, animating a few of them into service, meeting a draco-lich; Honestly, it would make for a good story to be told...
But enough of yourself.

Having arrived at your domain-to-be, you assure yourself that it was the best choice of the three you had.

Obviously, you have choosen:

A mountainside, known to be quite rich in minerals.
You are sure to find far more veins of metal here then elsewhere, a nice boost to your future economy.

A mountainside, known to be nutritious and home to a spring.
You are sure to grow things far more easily here, and may even find other, industrious uses for the water.

A mountainside, known to be somewhat inaccessible and easily defendable.
You are sure to spot enemies beforehand on the barren plain below, while also leaving them exhausted from the ascent.

~

What greets you, is virgin rock. No pick-axe has done its work here yet, and your workers are anxious to do so.
But first, time for a little ceremony, one which is your right as much as it is your duty.

The Naming of your new Domicile:
You were a bit unsure as to weather make it flashy, humorous or plain, but you are very confident of your eventual decision.

Starting Bonus
Needles to say, you have not come empty handed. In addition to a few Troops of Zombies and Skeletons, you also brought a few Peasants with you. But your preparations have not stopped there.

You have 2 Points to spend - do so wisely

Greater Talent: Start with a good deal higher stats
Magical Weapon: Start with a quite strong weapon
Lifetime Savings: Start with a hefty sum of bonus gold
Small Following: Start with a few additional troops
Indebted Aide: Start with an advisor - class and race of your choosing, but same faction
Vicious Trapper: Start with 2 basic traps, and basic traps unlocked
Faithful Acolyte: Start with a minor piety-given ability, a god of your choosing, and altar unlocked
Schooled Architect: Start with slightly less building costs, and basic fortifications unlocked
Master of Mages: Start with a troop of mages, and slightly less training and research costs for them.
Experimental Golemancer: Start with the ability to build magical constructs

Getting Tunneling
To quicken the start of your domain, your 4 Zombie Peasants will have the helping hand of your sparse troops, allowing them to Mine 10 Tiles, per your discretion.

Choices to be made:

Choice of Mountainside:
Name of your Dungeon:
2 Starting Boni:
Formation of the 10 Tiles to be mined:
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 05:18:19 am by escaped lurker »

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2015, 05:40:41 pm »

Obviously, you have choosen: A mountainside, known to be quite rich in minerals.
You are sure to find far more veins of metal here then elsewhere, a nice boost to your future economy.

The Naming of your new Domicile: The Monolith.

Starting Bonus
Master of Mages: Start with a troop of mages, and slightly less training and research costs for them.

As For Mining, Can we please have a map key so we know what each tile is?

Yourmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Not the weirdest on Bay12!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2015, 05:41:31 pm »

Obviously, you have choosen: A mountainside, known to be quite rich in minerals.

Starting Bonus

+1
10/10.
Wants to rape and enslave my innocent night faeries ;-;

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2015, 05:46:47 pm »

Gentlemen we need Indebted Aid so that we can get that Draco-Lich as a follower

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2015, 05:51:21 pm »

Starting Bonus

+1

thissssssssssss
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2015, 05:51:53 pm »

We can just Make a Draco-Lich if we do Master of Mages.

Think about the longterm. This gives a longterm buff of training and research costs reduced for magi overall. The Undead focus on Magic.

Hell, might make it easier to recruit that lich. Cause it's a Mage Cost.

Golems let is make creatures immune to Turn Undead. I can't begin to explain how useful that is.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2015, 06:02:03 pm »

Starting Bonus

+1

thissssssssssss
+1

For the record, I wanted the Draco-Lich for narrative reasons.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2015, 06:03:54 pm »

Starting Bonus

I like this, however I'd like to suggest "A mountainside, known to be nutritious and home to a spring.
You are sure to grow things far more easily here, and may even find other, industrious uses for the water."
I mean look at that, "may even find other, industrious uses for the water." To me that means we can drown the enemies in water, or even the whole dungeon since undead won't need to breathe. Then we win.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2015, 06:05:49 pm »

Starting Bonus

I like this, however I'd like to suggest "A mountainside, known to be nutritious and home to a spring.
You are sure to grow things far more easily here, and may even find other, industrious uses for the water."
I mean look at that, "may even find other, industrious uses for the water." To me that means we can drown the enemies in water, or even the whole dungeon since undead won't need to breathe. Then we win.
I like metal industry.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2015, 06:07:52 pm »

Starting Bonus

I like metal industry.

metal is good for golems
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2015, 06:17:45 pm »

Map Key

Grassy Plains - as in, Yuck, the Outside World

Rock

The Dark Unknown - but really, most probably rock

It is but a mountain spring, and as such any flooding antics that we may know and love from Dwarf Fortress will be beyond the trickle of water, but a moat? Sure enough. Trapping tiles adjectent to said moat? Sure~ :3
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 06:24:56 pm by escaped lurker »

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2015, 06:34:08 pm »

In that case there's still benefits to it. We can still have some water based defenses, and then even though undead don't need food (I'm guessing), you could farm animals to turn into undead easily, or maybe even just farm plants to make undead plants! So, uh escaped lurker, can we make undead plants? I mean, plants can be alive or dead, so, maybe get some fantasy plants that can move or giant Venus fly traps and then undeadify them or whatever, and use them to fight evil or whatever we're doing.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2015, 06:40:16 pm »

Starting Bonus

+1

thissssssssssss
+1

+1 to this.
FoU has some twisted role ideas. Screw second-guessing this mechanical garbage spaghetti, I'm basing everything on reads and visible daytime behaviour.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2015, 06:52:55 pm »

In that case there's still benefits to it. We can still have some water based defenses, and then even though undead don't need food (I'm guessing), you could farm animals to turn into undead easily, or maybe even just farm plants to make undead plants! So, uh escaped lurker, can we make undead plants? I mean, plants can be alive or dead, so, maybe get some fantasy plants that can move or giant Venus fly traps and then undeadify them or whatever, and use them to fight evil or whatever we're doing.

While most undead do not need to eat, there are cases like Ghouls and Vampires, which do need some fresh food once in a while. Some undead also have a craving for mana, which can be produced with the right plants. There is also the matter of creating Patchwork Horrors, for which access to corpses is a must.

So, before you have the right facilities to entertain these creatures, you just won't be able to hire them.

As such, undead communities keep around fields for their farm animals, the later providing them with blood, food, and flesh. They also need some spare-parts for healing, - in the form of bone and mentioned flesh.

While this sounds awfully "crunchy", it boils down to simple prerequisites. In the case of mushroom-fields, you will need 1 to sustain 2 animal farms. As such it is easy for me to display and keep updated in the "building" menu.

The good thing is, they all give at least some sort of revenue, so it's not like you are building a bunch of buildings that only serve a needlessly complicated prerequisite chain.

On the matter of undead plants, well.. live plants are almost an anathema to the undead, and as such rotting plant horrors are not unconceivable, but nothing we would gain in a short amount of time.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5