Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 22

Author Topic: Delegation: A fief management suggestion Game  (Read 24757 times)

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
Re: Delegation: A fief management suggestion Game
« Reply #150 on: August 01, 2015, 08:45:47 am »

Ask him about anything that can be done in the short term to improve the local economy, trade partners deeper in the empire, more skilled craftsmen, currently unexploited or under exploited resources. 

Quiz him on local trade and other topics as best we can to see if he is actually competent without asking so outright.
+1
I can't think of anything to ask the mayo right now, but spending some time with him and his daughter, and getting to know them both, sounds like a good idea. Let's see if we can't make a friend, and maybe get eduard laid.
+1
Max avatar size is 80x80

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 01, 2015, 04:53:41 pm »

+1 to asking about the economy and getting to know his daughter, but let's keep the relationship platonic.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 01, 2015, 08:53:46 pm »

+1 to asking about the economy and getting to know his daughter, but let's keep the relationship platonic.

+1

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 02, 2015, 12:33:56 pm »

3821, the third month of the year, and the first month of spring.

Adeeb Wasirri, Lord Governor of Dhum-Blud
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Councilors, Vassals, Allies and Agents.
Holdings.

You talk a little more with the Mayor in your sitting room, mostly of small, trivial matters. You attempt to subtly gauge his economic competence, though you slip a little, and probe perhaps a little too openly with some of your questions. You learn that not only is he the mayor, but also the town's most prominent landholder. Mostly he owns farmland, though he also owns a few small businesses in town and has a stake in the local copper mine, though the mine remains almost entirely owned by the town itself, and therefore is administered by the mayor. He mentions that he has acquired some modest wealth in his lifetime, mostly by seeking out good advice in managing his affairs, he contends that this habit is also why his town was hit lightest by the plague.

More than merely gauging his competence however, you ask him about potential trade opportunities with neighbouring Velgarian provinces, the potential for bringing in skilled craftsmen, and resources in the area that might be readily accessed. He presses that the first obstacles to trade are the roads, which need to be made safe and maintained. That might at least encourage the flow of trade, and allow local merchants the security to begin their own caravans. The second thing to encourage trade that might be done is secure more trade resources. In theory the resources of Dhum-Blud might very well be plentiful and untouched, but the province is so poorly developed and so dangerous that many of the most tempting prospects are currently out of reach, and others potentially undiscovered. The province is teeming with huge forests and rocky hill-lands, ideal for industries of lumber, quarrying and mining, but also ideal for hiding danger. Holdings known and unknown are home to bandits, warrior chiefdoms and wild beasts, the deep forests hum with old world magic, and the hill-lands hide many a monster lair. The lands currently within your grasp are certainly a good deal safer, but establishing the industry and infrastructure nececcary for expansion was something your predecessor never managed, and it meant he ended further behind than he started. Skilled craftsmen might prove difficult to lure without the promise of prosperity, but enough coin ought to do the trick if need be. Trade alliances might prove difficult to procure considering how little economic security there currently is in the province.

Soon, you move on to dinner. Your courtiers gather at your table with the Mayor and his daughter, a dinner party of seven. The meal is simple fare, but in the current company you suppose it's not a great embarrassment at least. Eduard and Desan both remain mostly silent throughout the meal, one out of restraint and the other out of what you've come to understand as habit. Aldagor and Balpher seem to lack either the restraint or habit, and chat quite a bit, with the mayor indulging them diplomatically. At dinner Veera seems to gesticulate quite a bit more than he did with you privately, and though his daughter Elara speaks little she strikes you as quite fidgety, and the rare time she does speak her wit strikes you as quite clever. During the dinner conversation very little of consequence is said, and you mostly take the effort to get to know your Vassal and his youngest child. He himself seems polite, composed and observant, though his opinions strike you as often very conventional.

Towards the end of the meal, the mayor mentions that there are various ways he might be able to be of service to you. Of course he is willing to honour his feudal obligations of taxation and call to arms. His military forces are modest, and his town not rich, but if need be he can levy part of the populace into military service in preparation for any inevitable battle. He also mentions that there are a handful of people he has been employing that he no longer has want or need of. "One is a sort of Hedge Magician, a Rat Speaker he calls himself. I hired him hoping he could exterminate the rat population, but he prefers to keep and breed them as servants and fighters. I've no use for that, but he's yours if you want him. Also hired some travellers and mercenaries to deal with a gremlin nest that sprouted up nearby.After it was finished three of them banded together as adventurers and are looking for work, they've a tracker, a former mercenary and a Rune-Warrior*. I've also a scribe who's no longer safe in town, i'm afraid he was caught in an uncompromising position with a local barkeep's wife, but he's competent enough. Just let me know if you want to take any of them off my hands and i'll send them to you."

"And... if i may be so bold Lord-Governor, may i be privy to what you intend as our new administrator? I'm very interested to know what you might have planned for the future, even if your plans remain nebulous."

3man75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 02, 2015, 01:31:17 pm »

Accept all three IF the rat mage can use his rats for scouting and spying.

To answer the mayor..

"I'm going to tackle the impossible and bring order back to Dhum-Blud. That means creating a means to create an army and fortifications to drive out those bandits and warrior chiefdoms. I am currently on the side of developing overwhelming force to deal with them all. Once core region is secure we can begin to work on a lumber industry and plant making shops to export for profit. This is all short and medium term goals.

The long term goal is bringing civilazation to all in the name of (input our countries name here)."

What is our countires name again? I know it is a Kingdom but we haven't heard who the King is, Kingdom, or neighboring countries/provinces.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 02, 2015, 01:36:05 pm »

Accept all three IF the rat mage can use his rats for scouting and spying.

To answer the mayor..

"I'm going to tackle the impossible and bring order back to Dhum-Blud. That means creating a means to create an army and fortifications to drive out those bandits and warrior chiefdoms. I am currently on the side of developing overwhelming force to deal with them all. Once core region is secure we can begin to work on a lumber industry and plant making shops to export for profit. This is all short and medium term goals.

The long term goal is bringing civilazation to all in the name of (input our countries name here)."

What is our countires name again? I know it is a Kingdom but we haven't heard who the King is, Kingdom, or neighboring countries/provinces.

I feel that those short-term goals are too much. We should begin by making the roads more secure and stable, let commerce flow, and secure strategic resources.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 02, 2015, 01:43:48 pm »

Historically however by making small forts near the roads (and close to one another) will drive bandits away. Forts mean that army patrols are constant and that means high risk no matter the caravan that goes through. Plus the forts can alert each other with signal fires to indicate a siege or assualt. Likewise, patrol units can use similar fires when they require help in there patrols or a fight to nearby forts.

Basically, forts close to the main road, near each other, and in defensible hills will be very ideal. Commerce will trickle in more when the caravan attacks lower greatly enough. Another thing we can do is offer lower tolls for mercahnts who refrence a new caravan to come through.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 02, 2015, 01:48:09 pm »

Historically however by making small forts near the roads (and close to one another) will drive bandits away. Forts mean that army patrols are constant and that means high risk no matter the caravan that goes through. Plus the forts can alert each other with signal fires to indicate a siege or assualt. Likewise, patrol units can use similar fires when they require help in there patrols or a fight to nearby forts.

Basically, forts close to the main road, near each other, and in defensible hills will be very ideal. Commerce will trickle in more when the caravan attacks lower greatly enough. Another thing we can do is offer lower tolls for mercahnts who refrence a new caravan to come through.

Oh, well, if this is what you said, then I like the idea. I thought that you meant making forts and directly fighting the bandits.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 02, 2015, 01:52:54 pm »

Those adventurers sound almost ideally suited to rooting out (not necessarily destroying them, it's still only three guys, just finding the things) the bandit strongholds hidden in the forests near our village. If they're worth calling strongholds then they're probably fortified enough to be relatively static, and that means we can disperse the camps themselves at some point in the future and capture bandit parties that return to resupply.

+1 to securing the roads.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 02, 2015, 01:55:17 pm »

We should ask the Mayor what he would think about bandits being executed en masse. It could provide a detterant factor for people to join a bandit group but it could also make them fearful also.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 02, 2015, 02:13:29 pm »

We need to know more about the bandits, their politics, who leads them, how they actually raid and supply themselves.  Before we make any real plans for them.

Tell the mayor we intend to bring prosperity and order, in the name of the king, and to open this land up as a frontier people will flock to for new opportunities.  The heartland considers this a land of outcasts and vagabonds, we can show them just what outcasts can do.

Tell him we will meet with the 5 he offered but do not make any promises.  If the Rat-Speaker is a shaman rather then a sorcerer we should consider taking him on if he can keep the rats out of our larder.

We can probably hire the adventurers with room and board if we offer them a large share of any treasures they find (since it all legally belongs to the crown technically) and land / a place in any new settlements or opportunities they find.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 02, 2015, 02:25:45 pm »

I guess interviewing them would be good but in all actuality we should start building the security sooner rather than later. Since the more security the more of a chance those bandits will slip up and we can question them about their hierarchy and locations. Doing so before is pointless unless we send someone to join up and feed us intel about them.

TheLordofHouseRiley

• Bay Watcher
  • Cutting down the enemies of the emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 02, 2015, 02:27:32 pm »

We should totally take on the hedge mage if nothing else. An army of rats despite its strangeness could actually be fairly effective.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 02, 2015, 02:34:10 pm »

Are hedge mages likely in this world to turn against us? I'd rather not be eaten alive by these things.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 02, 2015, 02:37:07 pm »

Are hedge mages likely in this world to turn against us? I'd rather not be eaten alive by these things.

If you read the Rune Magic section then yes.  If magic is not protected against or channeled somehow they tend to afflict both the wielder and those around them.  Rune Warriors get around this with careful use of metal tattoo runes.

I would suspect that if the Rat Mage limits use of his power to just controlling rats, has expertise in it, or uses well established shaman magic or prayers to do it it is probably relatively safe.  I mean he is not throwing rat fireballs!
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 22