Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 22

Author Topic: Delegation: A fief management suggestion Game  (Read 24680 times)

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
Re: Delegation: A fief management suggestion Game
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2015, 12:17:58 am »

Greet them properly, and inquire as to why the watchtowers were unmanned.
After introductions are done proceed to the keep, and ask for them to give us a run down of the region's current situation, and our available resources.
Keep the 'castle' name as Bonewatch.

+1
+1
Also ask about any local artisans the town holds

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2015, 02:27:13 am »

3821, the last winter month of the year.

Governor Adeeb Wasirri
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Bonewatch

Exhibiting both grace and attention to social protocol you introduce yourself and your companion, beginning with an elaborate bow that while flattering is still clear in it's expression of social superiority. You're unsure whether the intricacies of the gesture will be properly communicated to those so far from a proper court, but this bow is one you are quite practised in, as it's popularly used as a snub when expressed between two people of equal status. When the introductions are out of the way you have your councillors show you into the keep for a proper conversation.

The keep itself is cramped and sparse, and the first decoration of even the slightest quality that you come upon is the council-room table, which is far larger than necessary for such a small council, and of relatively fine craftsmanship. When everyone has had a seat you begin your probing into the affair of the province. "Firstly i find it necessary to ask why so few of the garrison are on watch? If me and my men were an enemy force we might have been able to breach the bailey before the garrison even assembled itself to fight."

Balpher shifts uncomfortably in his too-small seat at this. "I'm afraid that the population we have to draw from for the garrison is not as large or civilized as i would like, i have had to make choices about what to neglect. I have a proper watchtower further out in the frontier manned by twenty men to keep an eye out for any enemy forces, and the men here arn't fond of waiting for hours out in the cold around the outer wall, the towers around the palisade cannot keep fires safely you understand."

After some "hmming" and "hrmming" the aged Aldagor interjects. "I think it's absolutely disgraceful, nothing is more important than the protection of the governors keep, as the late governor Walder used to say, before he met his, hrmm, most unfortunate certainly, hurm, end. What's the point of having defenders that won't defend the keep hrmm? Freezing in the cold in service of the crown is no different than dying in battle in service of the crown surely."

Over the course of the meeting you have it more or less confirmed that your holdings are in a sorry state, often in the most roundabout and evasive of terms. Of your three advisors only Desan strikes you as willing to offer straight answers rather than having them prodded out of him. You learn that a half-day's ride away lies a small village under your stewardship, named Bleak-haven, and that as governor you've inherited a small manor there that you may choose to live or stay in at any time.  You also have two vassals of note, one being Veera an elected mayor in charge of administering the town of Stokeswood four days ride away, and a Sir Madagor, lord of the township of the boneyard, sitting over a week's ride away. You notice that the latter vassal is spoken of with great hesitance. Desan admits that there has been little luck as of late in getting either the provincial vassals or your direct subjects to pay much in the way of taxes lately. When it comes to talk about where the local bandits are keeping their strongholds though you are able to squeeze out little more than "i have some leads i've been following." from Balpher. It is mentioned, almost offhandedly, that the man who killed the last governor is imprisoned and awaiting your judgement, a fact that you consider surprising, as you had not known the governor had been murdered to begin with.

After you bathe and change you take stock of the late governors possessions, and overall find the keep rather... threadbare. Save for a meagerly stocked kitchen and sparse furnishing you find little more than the man's clothing, perfumes and personal records. Within your new chambers though, you do find a locked chest that you open with your new personal key, and are excited to find the container half full of silver crowns. Your excitement is dampened though, when you realize that half of the coins in the chest are clipped and clumsily restamped, the sort of coin a commoner could be hanged for trying to trade in.

Vest arrives in your chambers to conversely privately before you head abed, to offer his advice. "You can't trust a single one of those fools, or i think even, the things that they've told you so far. I think you might need them for now, but it might be a good idea to get rid of them, eventually, if it becomes convenient."When you question why you might need such buffoons as your councillors your friend elaborates. "Just about everybody who winds up sent to these parts is going to be either incompetent or untrustworthy, i think, and not a lot of people come to this ass end without being sent or forced. You should see to anything real important yourself obviously, but you can't do everything, you'll go mad if you try, you're going to need to delegate the less important stuff to other folks. You should still do whatever you can to find competent folks you can trust, but that sort of person is hard to come by, in the meantime you should at least try to gain leverage on and figure out the rest of the folks you have working for you. Personally i think that those blowhards are leaving a whole lot out, or maybe even lying through their teeth about things, so if you ask me you should send me out to figure out exactly what's going on about whatever things you're most concerned about, so that i can tell you what's really what."

His advice dispensed, he shoots you a grin. "Gotta worry you that a scoundrel like me is probably the most trustworthy sod in this place don't it?"

GM NOTE

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2015, 02:57:09 am »

Well, we might want to inspect our holdings more closely, especially that watchtower and the general state of our "keep". We also need to make sure that our local military force' loyality stands with us. Not to forget that gaining over our populace and so-called vassals is also important, but we might want to see about them later on.

RP-Choice

Interrogate our Prisoner
There might be a good reason for his deed, albeit we really can't just admonish such conduct in any reasonable, non-violent way.
Not sure if we even can hand out anything but a death penalty, but talking, we can only do as long as he is alive.

Turn Choice / Discussion

Let our guards mingle with the local soldiers - Under Balpher if needed by the game mechanics
Have them put on a few joint drills, not only to gauge the local's capabilities, but also for basic comradery. Afterwards, they are sure to mingle over their meals, which should give us an influx of information that our advisors won't speak aloud.

Have Vest gather information in the local tavern/s
Sure enough, the commoners will only know hearsay and rumours about local politics and events, but hey, that is still better than what our advisors give us.

Have Aldagor give us the run-down of the local laws and customs
Have Desan give us the run-down of our taxes and other forms of income

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2015, 03:14:30 am »

RP-Choice

Interrogate our Prisoner
There might be a good reason for his deed, albeit we really can't just admonish such conduct in any reasonable, non-violent way.
Not sure if we even can hand out anything but a death penalty, but talking, we can only do as long as he is alive.
+0.5. While getting information out of him should definitely be priority, it's also kinda necessary for us to pass judgement on his crimes. He did murder the previous governor, after all. Make the prisoner a deal. If he tells us everything he knows about the bandit problem, he'll lose a thumb and an eye. If he doesn't, he loses both thumbs and both eyes, followed by execution.

Turn Choice / Discussion

Let our guards mingle with the local soldiers - Under Balpher if needed by the game mechanics
Have them put on a few joint drills, not only to gauge the local's capabilities, but also for basic comradery. Afterwards, they are sure to mingle over their meals, which should give us an influx of information that our advisors won't speak aloud.
I was going to -1 this because having our guard stay near us should be priority in this bandit-infested land, but information would be very important. +1, but also tell Balpher to summon whoever counts as sergeants and bring them to the throne room. Once there, we can size up their competence and loyalty while we inform them that they are to retrain all guardsmen under Balpher's watchful eye. Five minutes to open the gate for their liege lord is disgraceful.

Have Vest gather information in the local tavern/s
Sure enough, the commoners will only know hearsay and rumours about local politics and events, but hey, that is still better than what our advisors give us.
+1

Have Aldagor give us the run-down of the local laws and customs
Have Desan give us the run-down of our taxes and other forms of income

+1 to both

Ask Aldagor about our law enforcement. What's crime like within the town?

Send letters to our vassals informing them of our existence.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2015, 03:26:19 am »

+1 to the above statements

I would like to point out that this Balpher character is a bit to comfortable in his position. While men do not like to walk in the cold, it is the first necessity of any army to expect absolute discipline of its soldiers. If we fail to make our soldiers walk in the cold, they will run away at the sight of an enemy. We should watch over their training personally and use the strictest forms of punishment for disobedience, while looking for soldiers that could eventually rank up to become sergeants or such.

Also we should use part of our money to restock the armory. Step by step we should upgrade our town so it becomes at least tolerable. If we manage to raise the quality of our castle, the soldiers will probably be more than glad to work under you.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2015, 03:28:24 am »

Just realized i never really explained anything about your household guards. Essentially they are more bodyguards than soldiers, trained in urban combat and armed with sword, dagger and buckler. That means that they could probably hone the combat skills of poorly trained soldiers, but they would be unable to train them well in matters of formation combat, conventional warfare, or army discipline.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2015, 04:13:03 am »

I would like to point out that this Balpher character is a bit to comfortable in his position. While men do not like to walk in the cold, it is the first necessity of any army to expect absolute discipline of its soldiers. If we fail to make our soldiers walk in the cold, they will run away at the sight of an enemy. We should watch over their training personally and use the strictest forms of punishment for disobedience, while looking for soldiers that could eventually rank up to become sergeants or such.

Also we should use part of our money to restock the armory. Step by step we should upgrade our town so it becomes at least tolerable. If we manage to raise the quality of our castle, the soldiers will probably be more than glad to work under you.
-1 to both. We have better things to do than train people and if we start punishing our soldiers that severely when we've just got here, we'll definitely be overthrown rather quickly. We should also keep the money with us and use it only in an emergency.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2015, 04:21:55 am »

Ever read the Art of War? If you answer no then your point is made clear...

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2015, 04:50:21 am »

Ever read the Art of War? If you answer no then your point is made clear...
Sun Tsu is about warfare, and as thus your point is valid - Still, Andres point is about authority and loyality. Of which we got not much.

We simply can't just show up, make life hell for our soldiers, and then expect them to serve us willingly. We need their trust and loyalty first, then, we can initiate changes to their morale and effeciency. Seeing how their leader is a lard-ass, quite possibly by changing him out. But all of these plans, are not ones we should do on such a short notice.

Actually, since "Leading by example" is one of the key points in Art of War, and can instill some form of admiration / respect / loyalty, How about we hold ourselves - with our bodyguards - to some sort of daily training regiment? This would fit very well with our own interest of duells, and also affect our standing with the normal soldiers positively.

It also allows our bodyguards to shame them, and us to shame our lard-commander-in-chief. If, after all, even their liege holds himself to strict training, how could they refuse such? But alas, first we would need to establish a bit of a track record, but it ought to work come spring. After that, we got three seasons to toughen them up in relative comfort.
No, really - winter is the worst time to will a change to morale.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2015, 05:16:46 am »

-1 to a deal with the prisoner. Murder is a capital offense, and if you let him go after he murdered our predecessor, that's an awful example. Besides, why would he even know anything about the bandits?
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2015, 05:33:16 am »

Seeing how their leader is a lard-ass, quite possibly by changing him out.
My plan to bring in the sergeants and tell them of how it's going to be now is for this reason specifically. We can see if one of them has been hoping for this kind of change but unable to do it himself due to his low rank.

How about we hold ourselves - with our bodyguards - to some sort of daily training regiment?
+1

-1 to a deal with the prisoner. Murder is a capital offense, and if you let him go after he murdered our predecessor, that's an awful example. Besides, why would he even know anything about the bandits?
My plan was to let him go after maiming him twice. Also, I misread and thought he was a bandit.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2015, 05:44:50 am »

http://journeyeast.tripod.com/suntzu.html
This is the link to the introduction of Sun Tsu warfare. This little story will explain what I meant.

Soldiers are the long arm of their ruler. If the arm is weak, how can the ruler fulfill his duties?
Guards are just soldiers out of wartime.

Actually, since "Leading by example" is one of the key points in Art of War, and can instill some form of admiration / respect / loyalty, How about we hold ourselves - with our bodyguards - to some sort of daily training regiment? This would fit very well with our own interest of duells, and also affect our standing with the normal soldiers positively.

It also allows our bodyguards to shame them, and us to shame our lard-commander-in-chief. If, after all, even their liege holds himself to strict training, how could they refuse such? But alas, first we would need to establish a bit of a track record, but it ought to work come spring. After that, we got three seasons to toughen them up in relative comfort.
No, really - winter is the worst time to will a change to morale.
+1 I like your style. Underlings learn best from a brilliant example, though I did not actually mean that we should be a horrible tyrant. If we notice insubordination, however, we have to act on that, especially since we live in medieval times. Also I kinda see our guy as a bit of a snot, who has a brilliant mind, so therefore being all disciplinary fits to his character (ALIMHO),

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2015, 06:35:39 am »

+1 I like your style. Underlings learn best from a brilliant example, though I did not actually mean that we should be a horrible tyrant.
You said we should punish them as severely as possible for disobedience. When I hear "use the strictest forms of punishment for disobedience", the only things that come to mind are public beatings and decimation.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2015, 10:34:21 am »

Yea sun tzu killed the favorite concubines of the emperor of qi when he tried to prove that even women could be taught to be soldiers and they did not do what he asked them to.

so to an extent if somebody disobeys they aren't material for the military annyway. In a bandit ridden land we need a loyal regiment.
Their pay should help them be loyal as well, so even though they are to be most disciplined, their rewards should also be of greater scale.

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2015, 11:26:04 am »

Sun Tzu thought of military matters in a very idealistic manner; While almost always inheretly right, our current circumstances do not allow us to move accordingly to such idealistic ideas.

Fact is, "our" soldiers, are more likely than not a somewhat rotten bunch, not surprising seeing their Commander. I think a good number of them would even run straight-off to the bandit camps, if they were forced to do any military work on an "Art of War" standard.

We need to cure the current circumstances, and what it will need most, is some time, so that our desired changes can take root. As humans are animals of habit, if we disturb their current ones too greatly, they will just rebel - openly, or just in spirit; both we do not want.

Actually, Do take a look at our soldiers equipment and living circumstances.
Should they be undesireable or meagre, making them "better", can easily turn them over to us. If we can afford to do so, that is.
Even in the danger of repeating myself, I will stress that gaining over "our" military to "our" side, is our most important task. For that matter, displacing Balpher before we have "weakened" his standing by presenting the soldiers with a "better" commander, will have a reverse effect. Unless Balpher is extremely incompetent, and has gained the ire of his troops.

Detox, if you like old works, here would be a political one; The little Prince :3
A bit rough on the edges, certainly not always right, but still a nice medievel-or-something view on political affairs.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 22