Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 27

Author Topic: Towers of Ragona [Game Thread]  (Read 18317 times)

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Towers of Ragona [Game Thread]
« on: July 07, 2015, 01:19:10 pm »

OOC and Application thread here.

You are one of the Council Towers; powerful wealthy and wise men who control the coastal city of Ragona, a city-state that prioritizes trade and neutrality over meddling in distant politics. But with the west swarmed by the Ningard Empire, and the eastern nations are united by Cult of the Black Sun, the southern lands a mess of other city-states and the north infested by barbarians, who knows if it isn't the time to take the steering wheel of the republican city and establish an authoritarian rule... but the Senex Princeps is old and stubborn, and your enemies numerous and each one with their own agenda... will you prevail as a Tower, or will you crumble and fall to provide foundations for the more cunning?

First Council of Ragona:
 - Senex Princeps: NPC
 - Master of Coin: NPC
 - Chief of the Centuria: NPC
 - The High Judge: NPC
 - Tower: Alexander Gipetti (3man75) | Rich, Popular | Aff: (Family)
 - Tower: Harald Stonetree (Ghazkull) | Powerful, Rich | Aff: (Family)
 - Tower: Lewis Goldbloom (Spiderking50) | Rich, Popular | Aff: (Family)
- Tower: Abdul Alhazred (Demonic Spoon) | Popular, Sneaky | Aff: (Family)
 - Tower: Avery Windborn (Hiddenleafguy) | Rich, Sneaky | Aff: (Family)
 - Tower: Eggerich Elbegast (notquitethere) | Powerful | Aff: Centuria
 - Tower: Eric Richards (Playergamer) | Popular | Aff: Guild of Root and Powder
- Tower: Hetrusca Haruspex (Silcugar) | Popular | Aff: Cult of the Black Sun
 - Tower: Rava Procco (Haspen) | Rich, Powerful | Aff: (Family)
 - Tower: Atticus Jayne (Sheb)  | Popular | Aff: The Turquoise Fellowship
 - Tower: Norvar Carus (Terenos) | Powerful, Rich | Aff: (Family)
 - Tower: Alexei Riskov (Ardas) | Rich | Aff: The Turquoise Fellowship
 - Tower: Hermolaos Evers (Illgeo) | Sneaky | Aff: Cult of the Black Sun
 - Tower: Telmar Jeppol (Lukinator) | Powerful, Sneaky | Aff: (Family)
 - 27 other Towers.

Spoiler: City State Breakdown (click to show/hide)

Public Doc
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 06:00:04 pm by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Towers of Ragona [Game Thread]
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 01:20:20 pm »

Martius, 263R

The Council have gathered in the spacious Hall of the Towers. The Senex Princeps, Chief of the Centuria, The Highest Judge and Master of the Coin are all here, along with 41 Towers.  The Senex Princeps begins to speak once everyone is seated on the low stone benches, which form a wide circle around the center of the hall.  The Senex and the three other Crowns, as they are called together, are seated at the northern side.

SENEX:  "Councilmembers, welcome. Today we have to discuss and decide on three topics. First of all: Ragona's Centuria is asking us to enact a law that will temporarily allow the Centuria to conscript young free-men aged 18 to 35, who are jobless and do not have a family, into their ranks for basic training and one-year post as the city guards. The law would be in force for half a year."

The Chief of the Centuria rises to speak.

CHIEF:  "Noble Towers! I ask you to let us do with the conscription. The Ningard Empire grows stronger and bolder each day, and so does the Cult of the Black Sun. While officially we're at peace, their soldiers - or hired thugs - are causing trouble on other eastern and western borders. By allowing us to temporarily conscript young, healthy men, we could strengthen our ranks, which might serve as efficient detriment to the foreign agents.

"More than that, an additional garrison force would help deter future riots such as the one we suffered last month, not only with their presence but by drafting the very malcontents most likely to incite such a rebellion.  Let us not forget that whilst we only suffered that one riots last month in the whole of last year, the year before we had three separate riots."

He sits, and the Senex continues.

SENEX:  "Second of all: The engineers' guild have sent us a project for a new aqueduct that would transport the clean water from the Lavia's Hills in the southwest to the Cupola District, where the poor and sick have been dwelling for centuries. The plebs, as you might remember, were rioting last month because the clean water in the district has been scarce."

The Master of Coin rises.

MASTER:  "Fellow councilmembers, I have reviewed the project and it is far too costly.  The proposed aqueduct would cost nearly a third of the city treasury.  There are numerous extensions of the aqueduct in the project that offer nothing but luxury to the plebs!  Ragona already supports several public luxuries such as the city baths and marketplace, to say nothing of infrastructural upkeep on the city walls.  Would a new aqueduct truly add to the rest of the city, or simply spoil the members of this one district?  I ask you to reject the project in the voting, and I shall talk with the engineers' guild so they change the project into something smaller and cheaper."

The Chief rises.

CHIEF:  "I ask you that you, this time, do loosen the purse, Towers of Ragona. The damage that was done during the rioting was quite costly.  I would argue that repairing of the damaged premises is just as expensive as that one aqueduct - not to mention replacing the brave city guards that have been killed.  Please consider my words."

MASTER:  "I assure you, the damage costs do not match the cost of that aqueduct.  We would need at least three such riots to match it."

CHIEF:  "And without it, we will have them!"

SENEX:  "Order, gentlemen."

Both Crowns bow their heads apologetically and sit.  The Senex continues.

SENEX:  "Third and last: A messenger from the Ningard Court have arrived.  The Ningard Emperor, Xorin the Third, wrote a letter in which he asks that we consider giving the Empire a loan of 6,000 golden ducats at flat interest rate of 12%, for the duration of six months.  Master?"

The Master of Coin stands again.

MASTER:  "Thank you, honoured Senex.  As many of you know, we have been on less than cordial terms with the Ningard Empire in recent years, but they continue to remain one of our biggest importers of Ragonan goods.  With better relations, they might loosen their quotas on our wares.  We have made similar, smaller loans before and they have had an excellent record of repayment.  Nevertheless, the amount requested is a serious drain on the treasury.  I cannot possibly permit the extension of a loan and the construction of the aqueduct."

The Master sits.

SENEX:  "Thank you, Master.  Indeed, the two issues are mutually exclusive and I declare voting on the Second and Third issues to be mutually exclusive - if you vote Yes on one, you must vote No on the other.

"If any Towers wish to speak on these proposals, you may begin."

The Senex lifts the iron staff that is his symbol of office and strikes the marble floor thrice - Clang, Clang, Clang! - The time of discussion is now.

Morning Phase has begun.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 02:04:55 pm »

Fellow Towers, i think it is a given that we all support the new Conscription, a Strong Ragona is a healthy Ragona and more importantly independent. Plus new jobs in the Centuria will make sure to get the youths of the streets.

Supporting the First vote however requires us to support the second as well. And as much as i like to see a tidy profit as the next man, Ragona always comes first. Besides i am offended by the way you talk about our fellow citizens Master of Coin! These people may be poor and sick but they are poor because they are sick and they are sick because they don't have fresh water. And while the Aqueduct may seem like a massive investment think of the benefits: the people will be happier and healthier and happier and healthier citizens are able to work harder and contribute more to Ragona.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
    • Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 02:32:01 pm »

Lewis Goldbloom stands in agreement with his friend Harald Stonetree, “Before us lay two issues: the issue of conscription and the issue of how to spend our money. These are both issues with which the Goldbloom family is quite acquainted with. In the past we worked with the prestigious Stonetrees to develop our arms sector, and as we know, we handle finance every day. I shall begin with the first issue, and this will ultimately lead into the second issue. This is because we can solve the two issues at once, if we are careful and meticulous.” He paused and scanned the room, smiling at his friend Alexander Gipetti. “At the heart of our problems are our riots. The people rising up in a violent expression of discontent and we must address this. Many are without work, food, and clean water. So I say, give it to them. We shall go to our people and say unto them, ‘We hear your cries and worries, we hear your needs and woes, and we shall respond in turn. For you, the people Cupola District and for all people of our fine nation, we shall bring clean and clear water. However, this water is not without sacrifice. In exchange, we shall enforce a conscription of our healthy young men. Many are without work or home, and we shall give you work, home, and water. We will train our disheveled members and turn them into guardians of peace and prosperity. For you, our people, we shall bring about a new era of health and security.’” After his monologue Lewis paused for a moment, but continued shortly. “With so many issues in our streets, our treasury cannot go to benefit those abroad. First we work to remedy our own woes and raise our people to prosperity, and then we can afford the luxury of benefiting those abroad. Ragona is a shining gem on the ocean, but it is not without its flaws. First we shall polish ourselves until we gleam brighter than the sun, then and only then, can we share our glimmer with our neighbors.” Lewis thanks the crowns and senex before returning to his seat.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 02:52:30 pm by Spiderking50 »
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 02:59:32 pm »

"I say we build the Aqueduct and give out the loan. The Empire will surely pay as back and in the meantime we can out an IOU to the builders. Once the Empire pays us back we'll pay the workers and make a small profit due to the 12% interest.

It is simply good business. Besides its better if workers work without dying of dehydration.
"

« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 03:08:43 pm by 3man75 »

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 04:27:08 pm »

"I say we build the Aqueduct and give out the loan. The Empire will surely pay as back and in the meantime we can out an IOU to the builders. Once the Empire pays us back we'll pay the workers and make a small profit due to the 12% interest.

It is simply good business. Besides its better if workers work without dying of dehydration.
"

MASTER:  "I dearly wish we could do that but, ah, some of the past Masters of Coin were real sheepfu- scoundrels.  Within the city, at least, no major undertaking is happening unless we can actually prove we have the cash in the Treasury.  I am sure you remember the pay riots, eight years ago.  The Red District had to be completely rebuilt - using the money we didn't have that incited the riots in the first place.  I spent the last three years actually getting the Treasury solvent."

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2015, 04:47:32 pm »

Lewis Goldbloom addresses the master of coin "Dearest Coin Master, I have a few questions about our budget at this time that I believe will help crystallize the discussion at hand. How many ducats are in our treasury at this time and at a 12% interest rate on the 6000 ducats, how much would we stand to make? In addition, what is the estimated cost of the aqueduct? I think that these questions may need to be answered before we vote. I do stand by my earlier statement, we must work for the benefit of our people before the betterment of others. However, if we stand to make a reasonable sum, perhaps an argument could be made that we could use that money to aid in the betterment of our people. We must know more of our budget before we proceed, otherwise we walk blindly into an unsound future. "
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 04:55:32 pm by Spiderking50 »
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2015, 05:13:36 pm »

Lewis Goldbloom addresses the master of coin "Dearest Coin Master, I have a few questions about our budget at this time that I believe will help crystallize the discussion at hand. How many ducats are in our treasury at this time and at a 12% interest rate on the 6000 ducats, how much would we stand to make? In addition, what is the estimated cost of the aqueduct? I think that these questions may need to be answered before we vote. I do stand by my earlier statement, we must work for the benefit of our people before the betterment of others. However, if we stand to make a reasonable sum, perhaps an argument could be made that we could use that money to aid in the betterment of our people. We must know more of our budget before we proceed, otherwise we walk blindly into an unsound future. "

"I support this query whole-heartedly."

--

"I'll keep that in mind servant."

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2015, 06:25:55 pm »

"I'll keep that in mind servant."

The Master of Coin goes red in the face.  You just called one of the four 'rulers' of Ragona a servant.

MASTER:  "Harrumph!  To answer the honoured Tower's question, we would stand to make 720 denarii*, with of course the return of the six grand initially loaned.  This would represent about a month's balance of the treasury, that is the money added to the treasury from taxes after all city expenses are deducted.  Actual monthly taxation is about five times higher than this.

"At the present moment, we have an enviable surplus of twelve and a half thousand ducats."

* You may have noticed different statesmen refer to coinage as denarii and ducats.  Ducats are a Ningard equivalent gold coin of equal value to the Ragonan denar; hence the Emperor's letter requesting golden ducats instead of denarii.  This was absolutely in no way an oversight by the GM.  No way whatsoever.

Hiddenleafguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2015, 07:38:50 pm »

Avery stands up, beginning to speak "Gentlemen, gentlemen well increasing our relationships with the Nigardi is important for the growth of our empire, may i rmind you of the horrible effect the last riot before the most recent one  had on our economy,
 although the blaze was controlled eventually, the damage to the saphire and black districts was crippling to our economy for months.  As for the conscription law i concur with Stonetree on the matter as the increase in jobs will take beggars off the street."

3man75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2015, 09:11:06 pm »

"I have made up my mind and await to vote."

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2015, 10:02:08 pm »

I believe one tower has yet to speak. Shall we wait for them or continue onwards? I am also ready to vote on this issue.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 11:46:32 pm by Spiderking50 »

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2015, 01:10:47 am »

"I believe good relations with the Nirngard Empire are important, as are preventing further riots, and would this like to propose that we Towers contribute some of our own funds at no interest to the city to loan to the Nirngard Empire in addition to funds from the Treasury, while also ordering the construction of the Aqueduct. Why if each Tower contributed a mere 100 Denarii, the treasury would only be reduced by as much to construct both the aqueduct and the Loan as it would be to extend the entire Loan itself. Of course, the Loan repayments would be divided up among those who contributed in proportion to how much we contributed. Your thoughts?"
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 03:41:25 am by Demonic Spoon »

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2015, 01:32:15 am »

I have yet to decide whether I really enjoy this proposal or if I hate it with a passion. While the city will receive improved relations with the Ningard Empire, it loses out on the interest gains. We, the towers, instead gain that interest. Perhaps this is feasible if enough contribution is provided by the towers. However, it must be whole-heartedly volunteered by each participant. And I suspect that many would be hesitant to empty their coffers to a foreign land.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 01:34:38 am by Spiderking50 »

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2015, 03:33:21 am »

"The city would not lose anything. It'd get all the money it loaned out repaid, plus some interest. Whereas it would get no interest at all if we decided to only build the aqueduct. This allows us to maintain relation with Nirngard and build the aqueduct, with both the Towers and the City making some profit from the loan, depending on how much everyone is willing to contribute to the loan. It seems both fair and effective.

I am of course not advocating that we force Towers to give up money to finance the loan, and am not sure where you even got that idea. The profit they should be able to get from this would be more than enough incentive. I know I would be contributing if the motion passes. Among the richer of our fellow Towers could easily contribute up to 300 denarii and regain more than that in a fortnight from their other holdings. This would by no means need to empty anyone's coffers."
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 03:45:14 am by Demonic Spoon »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 27