Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Digging Dwarf Suggestion Game (taking a break, health issues)  (Read 8976 times)

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Well, go on ... parade!
    • View Profile

+1 to above

Transcendant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Uh, are you agreeing with Femmelf or vjmdhzgr? the page break is throwing me off.

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Femmelf

I want a forge.

Transcendant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I.... I don't want to just do an update off three votes alone, cause that's a small number of people, but yeah.... If that's what I have to work with, then I'll be doing an update on that soon.

Info: First day man....

Chose "Never enlisted," and didn't take any weapon, armor, or fighting skills. So you don't have just a ton of weapons and armor as military gear.  I was thinking more along the uniform you have and some survival gear, but whatever, I'll throw in a standard issue sword and maybe some light armor if you want. Plus wouldn't you wanna forge your own with that skill set? I mean craft weapon, craft armor, craft metalwork, Artistry Engraving (focused on metal but you can generally engrave most reasonable things with the right tools that you do have).

That said, if you want Quivan can manage a forge for you. Might take a day or at least a few hours, but that's certainly doable. You've got the wood as fuel, 40 bars of steel, your metalworking tools, and you certainly have the skill set. Start thinking about what you'd like to make (again, you're probably going to be forging a lot with those skills).

Scouting is also quite possible and there's only a 1 vote lead against it right now, so.... It can totally happen right now if you guys want. You know, just vote it and if it's possible, fits, and reasonable, go for it.

Transcendant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

(You know what I'm betting you're going to scout, eventually and probably pretty soon, anyhow, so holding things up for that .... We'll move on and get there sooner or later, and probably sooner if I post this sooner).

You were too shaken at first to realize it, but the shipwreck had happened in the early morning. It's the kind of thing you'd think would be obvious, and it was, but who focuses on the time of day when they're trying not to die? The rest of the day, Vaubv is digging, and while Quivan is doing some stonework on the more sand/soil strata layer Vaubv is digging out, she also hears your request for a forge.

Happy to use her mechanical and masonry skills in tandem so well, she happily obliges and begins taking chisel to stones. She creates a furnace for you, that may double as an outside fireplace. It is wood fed and can easily enough create charcoal and be fueled by that as well as you desire. She also has a hot mold for molten materials to flow from the crucible of the forge into a removable metal mold area (accommodating potentially many different insert-able metal forms). There is also a brace for an anvil, which though crude, is available from metal salvaged from the ship. It isn't masterwork, but it will suffice and is quite serviceable. There are also two trenching troughs for hot metal items to be thrust into water for cooling.

The area is outside ear the entrance Vaubv is digging, but again, under these circumstances, things will do until a more permanent setup can be arranged, preferably inside somewhere but with nice ventilation. "Outside" is perhaps too much ventilation....

Concerning temporary  lodgings, (Femmelf's suggestion), the old sails are taken from the sea to make tents out of salvaged wood and some of the large trees Obalv  felled. There is a considerable pile of fallen trees forming, so you've got plenty of wood, or rather downed trees (if you want them worked into things, then that's a possibility). Obalv is happy to see this starting to shape up. There is room for most of the people in your group under the two makeshift, formerly sail, tents. Those who don't fit are still on the beached ship remains. Things are coming along fairly and surprisingly well considering.

The Doctor's Request: How to save a life?
The doctor takes note of your organization skills and being somewhat somber still he makes it a point to speak to you on some measures,

"I see you've managed to get some level of control over this group. That's not my concern. Mine is to keep them alive. My name is Dr. Mechalv Savotasic (Smith of Tasic). I had 12, and now have 11 patients under my care, 4 absolutely critical, 5 serious, and 2 stable. I expect at least half the critical patients to die, and more if nothing changes.

I require new additional sterile equipment to perform 5 surgeries, including scalpels, forceps, Trays, Boiling Sterilization pots and other materials. I can use what I have, but without completely sterile measures beyond what I have right now I fear infection.... You are a metalsmith. Can you create these for me?"

Others seem to be recognizing you as sort of a defacto leader, especially with the captain dead:

Tlonv Pavingol (Pincing Guard) {Soldier} asks you for permission to form a makeshift watch, especially during the night, composed of himself and any volunteers in the event of an attack. He is unsure exactly what can be done with the limited supplies you have on hand, as well as the injured. That said, he notes that whatever happens, things would be far worse with no warning at all, than with some. He says he will do his best to defend everyone here, as and if he can. He salutes you, perhaps out of habit. You find this somewhat odd, given that you are not enlisted in the army, and never have been. He seems to be well enough versed with a spear, but tells you that his favored weapon is a sword. It is clear to you that this proud soldier would never directly ask you for a sword, but it is implied that he would greatly appreciate one....

Meanwhile several other requests start to come in towards you but they seem rather disorganized given the state of this literal shipwreck. Everyone realizes that there is only so much they can do in any given time. Everyone wants what they want, but it's obvious that not everyone is going to be able to have what they want, or at least not right away. Common concerns include rescue, staying in the area or going, looking for help, finding other survivors (some of which are friends or even family of those around you), desire for lots of fresh water, to the idea of creating at least a temporary home here.

Back from the Brink of Death comes a green thumb:

Thevma Granvital (Granite lover) {Grower, Herbalist, Planter)

Another Dwarf seems to have emerged from the doctor's care, somewhat disoriented but durable enough to leave the makeshift hospital among the shipwrecked place you are now. This dwarven woman seems to have a green thumb. She has several lacerations and cuts, expertly sewn and bandaged by the Doctor, who insists she report to him for for regular follow ups. Her hair is blonde, half as long as her, and not braided (though you are unsure if that's a preference or merely a result of circumstances). She is slow to move at present, but otherwise seems to be on the road to a full recovery, or so she says when she relays the doctor's report. As of right now, she is not in any hurry to open her stitches with large amounts of work, but states to you that she will make it a point to get the local greenery in line once she can.

You gather that her general reputation is one of an accomplished gardener, having worked for some duke or other as a personal orchid tender some years ago. If her reputation is to be believed, she will make a large contribution to your food stocks. While right now you have plentiful food, you might have to stay here longer than your food stocks hold out. She will certainly be able to help with that predicament should it come to pass.

If there's nothing else, then night will fall, with sleepers under tents, once sails providing you motion, now shelters....

What do you do?

I.) Immediate Actions for tomorrow: (Pick 3)
A.) Organize a scouting party to scout the area immediately surrounding the area you are in
B.) Organize a scouting party to scout in one direction (North, East, West) away from your camp in an attempt to find someone/something else.
C.) Stay in Starting Area and build up your infrastructure (specify?).
D.) Stay in Starting Area and Craft (With what materials, results desired etc).
E.) Stay in Starting Area and Fish
F.) Hunt for Food in the immediate area
G.) Attempt to repair the ship or create a new one
H.) Other Specify

Note: If you pick A and B then you can scout both the area immediately around your starting location AND for a distance to try to find somebody/something else.

Do you? Y/N
II.) Use some of your steel stockpile to create surgical equipment and sterilization materials for the Dr. Mechalv Savotasic to perform his surgeries
A.) Yes (Possible higher chance to have more dwarves join you by recovering from their wounds)
B.) No (Save Steel Stockpile to use for other things, but no possibility of increased recovery)

III.) Permit Tlonv Pavingol (Pincing Guard) {Soldier} to create a watch with your blessing
A.) Yes (Greater Security)
B.) No (Greater labor work completed quicker)

IV.) How do you deal with the numerous concerns people seem to be concerned about (situation not critical)?

NOTE: Your focus on Hospitals (in what you'd like to have made) have already somewhat sped the recovery of one dwarf. Your other decisions will have other tradeoff rewards and consequences. Simple opportunity costs. It doesn't mean you can't accomplish all of your goals necessarily, but you can't do everything all at once. Nobody can. 
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 01:18:00 pm by Transcendant »

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I.) Immediate Actions for tomorrow: (Pick 3)
+1 A.) Organize a scouting party to scout the area immediately surrounding the area you are in
Yeah, let's let the woodsdwarf guy be on this one, along with the soldier guy. Woodsdwarf gave us the first nice map we got, so let's hope for more?
+1 D.) Stay in Starting Area and Craft (With what materials, results desired etc).
I want to craft an awesome Steel sword for that soldier guy who wants to start a watch and who really hinted he wants one. Defense. Also can we craft one for us too? Basically let's craft some weapons. How many can we even make this turn or however we're doing this?
+1 G.) Attempt to repair the ship or create a new one
Ok, so I didn't realize this was an option. Hang on, we wanna scout stuff and probably find like a town or something right? Yeah, we're by the Ocean, and we've got a whole crew of humans who just got done faithfully serving on one ship. Let's make another small one and just sail it up and down the coast, close to the sand with a shallow draft. that way it's not a seagoing vessel, but it can scout the coast pretty safely. If we can do this, then let's just do it. It's got so many uses. Safe scouting, fishing dwarf guy can fish off it, and I guess if it's big enough we could all get on it and bail if we get like overrun by goblins or something.

II.) Use some of your steel stockpile to create surgical equipment and sterilization materials for the Dr. Mechalv Savotasic to perform his surgeries
+1 A.) Yes (Possible higher chance to have more dwarves join you by recovering from their wounds)

I'm hoping it doesn't use all of our steel stockpile, but it's a hell of a thing to kill somebody over something we could probably make more of later on.... It shouldn't. Couple pans, and scalpels and stuff shouldn't use that much. 

III.) Permit Tlonv Pavingol (Pincing Guard) {Soldier} to create a watch with your blessing
+ 1A.) Yes (Greater Security)

Gotta have some security. I mean, don't overdo it, but I don't want literally NOTHING protecting us/watching out for who knows what.

IV.) How do you deal with the numerous concerns people seem to be concerned about (situation not critical)?

Tell everyone we're doing whatever can be done. It hasn't been a day yet, and I'm amazed we're all alive and lucky enough to have a doctor. We're focusing on helping the doctor out to save his patients and defense in case god knows what is out there. Rescue and lots of other things need done, but first we have to survive to be rescued. We're digging out a safe place right now, and some here have helped with that even, so you know it's true.

We've all been doing better before, but for right now everyone just needs to keep their heads about them. We need an organized list of things we have to do. Wasn't there a human who did some book keeping or something? Maybe they can do that part. Also it's probably lost, but where's the ship's manifest passenger list? If we're concerned about finding other possible survivors, then we need to know who is accounted for and who isn't. Also I'm hoping we at least wrote down names or something about the people we cremated before we burned their bodies. Please tell me the doc kept some kind of records?

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile

+1 to robot parade leader.
However, also ask one of the humans who worked on the ship if they have any idea where we are, as well as any useful information about the area, like known settlements.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

femmelf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

+1 to RPL.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile

((Won't have a laptop to do long responses till next month :/ ))
+1 to RPL
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Transcendant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Night comes and goes. Sleeping is awkward beneath a what was once a sails and now tents. Some grumbling is hear; nothing too great for now. Non existent beds offer no comfort, nor does ground or sand. People are not exactly happy or in a 5 star resort.... You do the best you can on the sand under the former sails at night.

As requested, Obalv & Tlonv volunteer to scout. They supply and go scout immediate surroundings. They disappear to scout. Meanwhile you have managed a forge and are skilled at using it with every intention of doing so. Vaubv is digging, and while Quivan is doing some stonework on the more sand/soil strata layer Vaubv is digging out.

Your first matter is creating an enriched wood fuel, essentially charcoal. From there, you melt down some of the steal bars you possess and create a sword. Your tongs are fairly busy holding and folding red hot metal, as you hammer out the impurities. Of course, that's after you mold it into the approximate bar shape. From there you shape the angels and repeatedly plunge the blade into the water cooling trough. You let it cool further as required and then sharpen the edges. From there the cross-guard, pommel with counterweight and finally, the handle wrap. Additionally, you have the opportunity to engrave something upon the blade itself, seeing as your engraving skill was picked especially for this.

What, if anything do you engrave upon the blade. Designs, words, letters, etc, are all acceptable.

With the particularly difficult work of creating a very good sword out of the way, you begin upon making the metal pieces requested by the doctor. Your skill leads you to create very nice modular tools and equipment that can be disassembled for easier washing and sanitizing. You create some tensile metal springs that simply and tightly clamp some very small but sharp surgical blades on the end of a precision scalpel. You also create some fairly nice metal surgical containers in the general form of trays, pans, and surgical tubs in steel. It takes you a fair amount of time considering you have a serviceable but not perfect forge to work with, but it gets done.

Moreover, some of the humans seem to have suggested the idea of actually making a smaller boat out of the fairly significant wreckage of the ship that brought you all here. It appears they feel they can make a decent start at creating a boat out of the nautical remains you have at this time, in a matter of days. They note that it would go faster with skilled carpenters and especially shipwrights, and also with tools. Seeing as you don't appear to have those at present, things will take longer, but it may well be possible. They appear to be salvaging some of the wood from the ship in terms of the ribs to reuse as the bones of the next ship, so to speak.

Meanwhile, over the course of the day Vaubv, and Quivan have made a surprising amount of progress on their digging and building, finishing the rooms indicating in the first map. Now, they are considering adding on, as per your prior wishes, in defense and hospital creation.
Obalv & Tlonv return from scouting the area immediately around you, and return with the following information:
E.) Immediately to the East is basically land like your starting area (map being worked on)
N.) Immediately to the North is a pond and source of fresh water (not sure if rain or spring fed, but it's there)
W.) Immediately to the west is an area similar to your starting area with a meadow filled with some type of berries.
NW.) Immediately to the Northwest, a stream feeds the immediate north pond.
NE.) Immediately to the Northeast is a forest with what appears to be a small cave opening. Unsure what if anything is within.

(Working on Multiple Maps)

The doctor is rather pleased with your produced tools and gladly assures you that they will be used to help heal the injured and save lives. The doctor seems to be working overtime.... Moreover, Tlonv is rather grateful for the sword that you have made for him and quite happy'; he also assures you that he will use it for the best effect. He begins to organize a watch now that he has more proper equipment in the form of the sword. You were fairly lucky last night, but tonight a watch is organized so that there is constantly two individuals observing at all times, including Tlonv himself. You feel safer already.

Considerations for tomorrow and in general:
I.) What if anything do you engrave the sword with?
II.) Immediate Actions for tomorrow: (Pick 3)
A.) Organize a scouting party to scout the cave to the Northeast.
B.) Organize a scouting party to scout in one direction (North, East, West) away from your camp in an attempt to find someone/something else.
C.) Stay in Starting Area and build up your infrastructure (specify?).
D.) Stay in Starting Area and Craft (With what materials, results desired etc).
E.) Stay in Starting Area and Fish
F.) Hunt for Food in the immediate area
G.) Attempt to repair the ship or create a new one (continue and make more progress)
H.) Other Specify

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
Re: Digging Dwarf Suggestion Game (We're building forges and maybe scouting)
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2015, 03:53:08 pm »

On the sword we engrave the sword, then we engrave the engraving of the sword onto the engraving of the sword, and then the engraving of the engraving of the sword onto the engraving of the engraving of the sword, then engrave the engraving of the engraving of the engraving onto the sword. Then we'll do similar things with other weapons, it'll be our mark, showing who it was that made it. It'll represent how the sword is infinite, or everlasting or something. We don't really need to make a good meaning, once we're famous people will make up cool meanings themselves.

II:
D:Make some carpentry tools for repairing or remaking the ship, and potentially other later uses. I think we have a good amount of steelto make them with.
G:Obviously use those tools to repair or remake the ship.
H:It wasn't done last time so I'm guessing it'll have to be its own action. Ask the people who worked on the ship (I believe mainly just the humans) if they know where we might have crashed and if they know anything of significance about the area.
E:If the above doesn't need to be its own action, then we should probably make sure we're good on food.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Transcendant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2015, 08:40:33 pm »

Come on guys. I've got ONE post. Even a +1 helps. I'm working on maps, creating stuff, etc. Come on. Something....

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2015, 09:49:07 pm »

Let's repair the ship, scout the cave, and fish.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2015, 11:18:09 pm »

let's salvage the ship, dig a small channel off of the pond towards our settlement, fish

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2015, 08:21:22 am »

I think that's the ocean man. So yeah salt water. Right?

I:
Engrave the guy's name, a broken line (representing the ship's mast, but he can say it means something else if he wants). Also ask him what he wants.

II:
D:Make some carpentry tools for repairing or remaking the ship, and potentially other later uses. I think we have a good amount of steel to make them with.
G:Obviously use those tools to repair or remake the ship.
H:It wasn't done last time so I'm guessing it'll have to be its own action. Ask the people who worked on the ship (I believe mainly just the humans) if they know where we might have crashed and if they know anything of significance about the area.
E:If the above doesn't need to be its own action, then we should probably make sure we're good on food.

Basically +1 to everything vjmdhzgr except different engraving maybe.

Hold off on the cave man. I mean for all we know that's a goblin tribe or some junk. We don't have much of a guard yet. We got wounded with our defenses not set up yet. I want like a wall or something up before we go poking around at least. Cause if we don't then what?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6