Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Digging Dwarf Suggestion Game (taking a break, health issues)  (Read 8973 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Re: Digging Dwarf Suggestion Game (INN, walled entrance, and hallway starts)
« Reply #60 on: August 14, 2015, 09:29:23 pm »

I.) Immediate Actions for tomorrow: (Pick 3)
E.) Continue creation of the new (smaller) boat.
I.) Focus on aiding the miners and mason (removing rubble and speeding the construction by making it easier for them).
J.) Cut down wood (or have someone else do it.

II.) How would you suggest Vaubv and Quivan mine/construct buildings (Pick Three ranked more and less important):
A.) Focus on Defense first
M.) Focus on recreation.
N.) Focus on storage and / or kitchen (if we need it, otherwise maybe start on the aboveground part for the humans. Can we secure our supplies and stuff underground? or something?)

Let's placate the people before it all hits the fan. We don't need the splattering on us. Do we pick the recreation or how does that work? If we get to pick the type of recreation thing? It's not really clear, but what is clear is that people aren't happy and we can't quite keep this up just yet. What do we build? Ask them?

Question, how are we cooking food? Don't we have a cook? "Kershi Lovachin (Loyal One) {Cook}." How's she cooking things (is she?). Does she have any kind of kitchen? One way or the other, I'd let to set something up for her, and preparing food industry stuff would be a nice way to do things. At some point, having good food, from whatever source, fish, farming, hunting, etc, would be nice. I don't know exactly how we would do this, but kitchen seems like a good idea.

Honestly, I'm not sure, but we need to give them something. Hell, we need something ourselves probably.

III.) Mumblings and perhaps grumblings:
a.) Actively consider the problem by asking for any speakers to come forward.
Even if we wanted to, we don't have the military force to be a tyrant. Even if we did, I'm not sure it would follow us. Hell, would we want to lead it?

"Thank you. Thank you all. I'm alive because of you. We're alive, because of each other. The doctor saves us; the fisher feeds us; the miners house us. I'm tired, and I don't know when we'll go home. If all I can do to keep us safe is lift rocks, then I'll keep lifting rocks out of Vaubv's way until we're safe. None of you have to, and if you can't, then that's fine. I will. Will you?"

IV.) Humans and underground spaces:
c.) Assign the problem as something for later.

Take whoever I think is their leader aside,

"Hey, let's make you something where the sun is that's safe. Right now we need beds for everyone, but soon. Maybe by the entrance wall or the cropwall. Did you ever think you'd get a seaside home out of this?"

V.) Should I stay or should I go?
c.) undecided.

If things really got going somehow I guess it might make sense to stay. Main problem is, we're a metal working dwarf and there's no source of any metal. Our skills are wasted until we find some kind of way to get our hands on something we can put in a forge. Also depends on what our other options are once and if we get rescued.

VI.) All work and no play
a.) Keep working, we're going to die if we don't. What's wrong with you? We need to at least establish a steady source of survival. I'm working as hard as I can.
b.) We're working ourselves too much. If we become exhausted then how will we survive?

c.) Let's have one more day of full on work to reach some critical goals:

Crop wall, so we can plant something and not starve.
Recreation. Let's build something for that so everybody doesn't completely burn out.
Furniture. Beds, and maybe stone stuff. Feeds into recreation I guess. Do we have just empty rooms except the few that have beds so far?

Basically let's have someplace safe to rest before resting, because if it all goes bad and we don't have a safe place.... We're screwed.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

femmelf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 16, 2015, 12:48:43 am »

+1 T I guess.

I guess at some point we might want to train some soldiers or something. Maybe even just building up some skills ourself if we can't manage to get people together. I guess it makes sense. People are complainy in general and being all stranded on a beach with no alcohol or anything isn't gonna be the most super happy funtime.

Anyhow I don't wanna be the one who can't fight for crap if bad things happen.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 12:55:29 am by femmelf »

Transcendant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 16, 2015, 09:32:28 am »

As for building/creating specialized things in this case like recreation, you can specify, or attempt to if you're not outvoted. Also you need the prerequisite items or infrastructure, of course.

You could build a bathhouse, but you'd need water or something for that. Then again you've literally got the whole ocean right next to you, so you have the water but if you wanted, you could just swim in that I guess.

Please also note: There are more than 30 rooms in the INN, but they aren't all bedrooms. Forgetting the larger rooms to the west (screen left), there are also those corner rooms, and those can be used as other function spaces (lounges, eating areas, storage if you like, who knows. Up to you really, but eventually once and if it's established as an INN proper, you might consider the lounge idea.

For simplistic recreation, you could set up an alehouse and/or lounge, which might necessitate some sort of still/alcohol industry. You don't have a brewer per se, but you do have a cook and she might be able to whip up something passable. Or you could have the lounge outside as and with the beach/ocean. I'm open to other possible suggestions but here's a short list of what you might be able to pull off for "recreation:"

Lounge/Alehouse (lounge does not need alcohol, but helps)
Hunting/fishing lodge (needs weapons/tools and trophy space)
Bath (needs water and infrastructure)

Of course, seating and table space/appropriate equipment help in any of this.

Note that this could also somewhat feed into "culture" as well, existing or new I suppose.

As for military/training, that's possible too. Right now the morale isn't too terribly sucky but it isn't great either. You could ask to be trained a bit by either of your soldiers, though I'm sure giving one of them a sword helped you in the eyes of one of them and could end up helping you quite a bit actually.... You, personally, might glean some skill as an option, but the general population is kinda a.) recovering from wounds from a shipwreck, b.) recovering from the shock of a shipwreck while living through it now, and/or c.) has been working nonstop for 4 days straight now. Your assessment of it not being super happy funtime is correct.

Note also that productivity is influenced by infrastructure, facilities, raw material, tools, etc. Your carpenter doesn't have a designated space to work on wood, or a storage space for wood next to that workspace, or a space for finished goods. Right now, your exceptional mining speed comes from working everyone's butts off clearing rubble etc (no minecarts, or other things). This can improve later if you want.

femmelf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 16, 2015, 09:36:55 am »

Ok then, can we do the fishing/hunting lodge then? Sounds like the start of those industries or maybe an addon to them and recreation, so... yay?

And also is it an either or thing? Can it be both. If it can't be both then maybe we should do the fishing one since we're right by the ocean and we have a fisherdwarf anyhow.

Transcendant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 16, 2015, 09:47:43 am »

It can be both for now, but eventually you'll probably want to separate them or drastically expand location space so as to accommodate.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 16, 2015, 12:37:00 pm »

fishing lodge by the ocean, and I guess +1 to Truean. It seems like everybody always agrees with the first post's ideas, which includes me. I guess we all just have the same ideas about what needs to be done.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Transcendant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 16, 2015, 01:12:34 pm »

OOC: There are only 3 or 4 active, regular voters. RPL, vjmdhzgr, femmelf, and Truean. Other people have been invited, often by PM. Right now, in order to defeat somebody else's idea, you have to get between 50% and 75% of the total voting posters on your side and against the other person. Also, there's the very real risk of a tie, and I'm not sure what I would do then if it came down 2 to 2. To overcome the first poster bias, you'd have to either get a.

A.) One other poster to side with you for a 1 to 2 win by one and hope the other poster doesn't post, or
B.) Two other posters to side with you for a 1 to 3 win by two and hope no other posters show up, or
C.) Get more posters involved somehow.

This means that with only one additional supporter, the first poster is mathematically biased to win, because then they can't be beat if only four posters exist. The most that could happen from the other two posters, would be a tie at 2 to 2.

The moral of the story, "Vote early and vote often!" :D

Hiddenleafguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 16, 2015, 10:38:19 pm »

I:
F: lets investigate this cave!
E: Making a boat YAY!
I: Moving rocks is fun, lets have fun while helping mister miner!

II:
A: We can't expect to not catch a severe case of death if don't have a defense!
B: We need a docter, docter!
I: We also should continue striking the earth!

III:
A: Lets be reasonable and NOT kill everyone who raises their voices!

IV:
A: Just because they are not as adapted to the dark as us doesn't mean that we get to be mean!

V:
B: We may be able to start a new colony, if we do, we will need to pick a name, may I suggest Luckylandings?

VI:
B: We need some nice, relaxing dodgeball to get back into the groove of things!

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 17, 2015, 12:05:37 am »

+1 to Trueans decision
While a fisher lodge seems interesting, I'd personally like to see a theatre of sort.

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Well, go on ... parade!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 17, 2015, 09:03:47 am »

+ 1 Truean.

I also like the idea of a kitchen or something. People eating good food are usually less pissed than people eating bad food.

Transcendant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 17, 2015, 11:23:06 am »

There are certainly some mumblings and perhaps some grumblings, but for the most part, everyone basically knows you're right. At least, there's no better option right now. People don't seem to enjoy the very active work schedule, even if they tolerate it. Going into the 6th day, it becomes clear something needs to be done, but no one is entirely sure exactly what the best possible course of action would be, especially given your extenuating circumstances. The general mood does seem to brighten somewhat when you mention the idea of a hunting and fishing lodge as a place to relax, lounge, and fish a bit. It isn't everyone's idea of a wonderful time, but it is something to look forward to.

People seem to be "looking forward to" various and opposing things, generally speaking and factions have come up. The first, smallest, and best defined is the small group of people looking to stay regardless of rescue. There are barely a handful of them, but they seem determined. Incidently, they are seemingly some of the more motivated builders, as they plan to stay if possible. Olabv is among them, though he is characteristically quiet about it, as he is with everything it seems.

With all of the above, you manage to convince the assembled group to put forth one more day of sustained labor before resting and/or slowing down from a breakneck pace. You've done quite a bit in 5 days, after all.

Moreover, you have four newly recovered dwarves, leaving the doctor. Two of these are engineers with a focus on masonry and machinery. The third is a latented seemstress and tailor skilled in leatherwork and clothiering. Finally, the last states she is a carpenter and lumberjack:

1.) Rival Thoral (Noble Birthplace) Male Engineer (Masonry/Mechanics)
2.) Nordri Thoral (Noble Birthplace) Female Engineer (Masonry/Mechanics)
3.) Ashali Whurmek (Iron Outpost) Female Tailor (Leatherworking and Clothier)
4.) Farunni Belserd (First Virtue) Female (Carpenter and Lumberjack)

The doctor focuses on his charge, working ceaselessly with untold dedication to heal. The newly healed dwarves seem eager to do something besides lay in a hospital bed. The new engineers happily make creating masoned areas faster, much as having the two new miners did beforehand. Moreover, the newly healed carpenter doubles your furniture making capacity from 6 beds to 12 for a total of 18 after this day is done. The fact that you now have a tailor makes the possibility of upholstery may become a real thing if you can get her something to work with in the way of hides or cloth.

Your efforts are focused upon setting up a fishing and hunting lodge right next to the sea. The ample rock excavations leave lots of material for your three professionals to use. There is currently no roof, but one of the sails serves as a temporary canvas one over the stone arching vault ceiling supports. The fact that there is actually something material taking place gives people some hope or at least reason to quiet down somewhat. This area, just west of the courtyard, leads north to a kitchen area with a butcher's area next to that. The idea seems elegantly understated but brilliant to some point. The supply chain management is integrated into the location. The food will eventually be grown on the topmost soil, from there, it can be taken under to the kitchen, or perhaps later a brewery if you decide to make one. Additionally, the fish and perhaps hunting kills can be put through the lodge to the butcher and then the kitchen.... It's a nicely created food industry, complete with the storage (for food anyhow) required for a significant amount of food preparation needs.

Thevma comes back with Olabv from the foray to the area immediately west with berries, plants and seeds. Thevma is quite happy at the idea of being able to grow something behind a well made sea wall (preventing sea spray). She immediately goes about planting a small garden. She is rather thrilled to have something to do besides lay in a bed all day and takes to planting quite nicely, a fairly small garden to begin with, but you imagine that will grow with time. You suspect but are not sure that she may well be going after some way to cope with her recent injury/tragedy (shipwreck) etc.

You now have a kitchen setup with plenty of stone counterspace and two ovens. East (Screen right) of that you have a butchery/fish preparation area, and both with ample food storage. You currently don't have a dining room, but it is entirely possible you could take meals in any room or in the hunting/fishing lodge makeshift area. The mob of survivors is placated for now it seems, or if nothing else the mumblings have subsided for the time being on the promise of less work in the future. The area seems rather well designed because the oven chimneys and vents from the butcher area will vent right out into the aboveground area on top of them instead of stinking or smoking up the area.

Moreover, you find that the small ship is coming along quite nicely. A fair deal of the debris floating or stuck in the shore sand is used and you see the nice but rough and unfinished ship floating precariously on the shore. You are told that it will be seaworthy in a short while. One of the old ship's sails is now serving as a sail once more for this vessel. It won't be an oceangoing ship, but will be capable of sailing relatively close to the shore. Coastal sailing and perhaps additional fishing activities and clearly scouting are something that seems interesting to you. The humans served as crew on the last ship, and seem somewhat interested in crewing this one, (mostly). The fisherdwarf, Trovaln Savondev, seems to welcome the prospect of fishing in deeper waters than along the shore.

A.) Stay in Starting Area and build up your infrastructure (specify?).
B.) Stay in Starting Area and Craft (With what materials, results desired etc).
C.) Stay in Starting Area and Fish
D.) Hunt for Food in the immediate area
F.) Investigate the cave or other area in your immediate surroundings
G.) travel to a different location (presumably leaving the wounded where they are).
H.) Create item out of metal (specify item etc)
I.) Focus on aiding the miners and mason (removing rubble and speeding the construction by making it easier for them).
J.) Cut down wood (or have someone else do it.
K.) Other (specify?)

II.) How would you suggest Vaubv and Quivan mine/construct buildings (Pick Three ranked more and less important):
A.) Focus on Defense first
B.) Focus on establishing a hospital or other safe interior space to place the wounded first. (would expand the hospital even further, now that private rooms and physician's office have been created).
C.) Focus on Religious and Burial accommodations for the dead, etc.
D.) Focus on establishing industry and infrastructure (specify)
E.) Focus on expanding space that is flexible and not specialized at present.
F.) Focus on Mercantile and trading with commerce
G.) Focus on creating transportation (Stables, docks, etc)
H.) Focus on justice and administration areas
I.) Focus on long term growth and infrastructure (Hallways, with areas to mine out/build later).
J.) Focus on establishing private rooms perhaps later use as an inn (Expansion of current INN)
K.) Focus on establishing private residence(s) (Create a house or essentially a condo/apartment)
L.) Focus on ascetics and cultural concerns
M.) Focus on recreation. (Theater, dining/ale lounge, baths, some sort of sport, etc)
N.) Focus on creating the above ground farm area ( clearing trees, and completing wall?)

III. Work Schedule
It has been 6 days at incredible productivity and effort. Also you promised one more day of work like that, which has just ended with a significant amount of work.... Do you:

A.) Suggest working full bore again (break your promise, bad morale will almost certainly result).
B.) Suggest working only a regular workday (could be interpreted as keeping your promise, but some may baulk).
C.) Suggest working only a partial day
D.) Taking a day of rest (will regain morale, as only voluntary work will happen on this day).

IV.) On crafting and space for it.
You seem fairly lucky to have a significant portion of skilled craftsdwarves and professionals with you (including the doctor). That said many of them don't seem to have the facilities to boost their productivity. The cook, Kershi Lovachin, is ecstatic with her kitchen space. The miners have no guild, the masons and engineers don't have any work space, the carpenters also lack a dedicated area for their craft. Additionally, the supply chain management and logistics are at best, poor, because there is no dedicated storage (besides the food and butchery storage. You yourself have only a makeshift forge and no steady supply of ore at all, relying entirely upon a static number of steel bars you were lucky enough to salvage from the wreck.

The labor issues from a tired pool of survivors may limit the speed at which you can construct anything, but it becomes clear to you that proper tools, work space and infrastructure would speed the creation of various items. You can work towards these things, but not as quickly as you did before the exhaustion set in.

A.) Resolve to create work space for carpentry in the near future (requires choosing "D.) Focus on establishing industry and infrastructure (specify)" for choice II above).
B.) Resolve to create work space for masonry in the near future (requires choosing "D.) Focus on establishing industry and infrastructure (specify)" for choice II above).
C.) Resolve to create work space for engineering in the near future (requires choosing "D.) Focus on establishing industry and infrastructure (specify)" for choice II above).
D.) Resolve to create work space for forging in the near future (requires choosing "D.) Focus on establishing industry and infrastructure (specify)" for choice II above).
E.) do not focus on creating work space in the near future.

V.) On military etc.
You have exactly two trained soldiers and Olabv. This represents about 10% of your population, and you have a fair deal of your area walled off, but not entirely.

A.) Excuse the soldiers from other duties to focus on drills and training (less labor)
B.) Excuse the soldiers from other duties to focus on drills and join them yourself (even less labor while building a small amount of skills yourself)
C.) Excuse the soldiers from other duties to focus on drills and training along with 3 other individuals Far less labor
D.) Keep the soldiers working just like everyone else (more labor, less defense).

PERSONAL SKILL INCREASE:
Your experiences in the past week have resulted in an increase of your skills~
Your Skills: Forger
+5 (Craft Armor)
+6 (Craft Weapons)
+7 (Craft Metalwork)
+6 (Skill Merchant)
+6 (Artistry Engraving)
+1 (Craft Masonry)
+1 (Skill Mining)
+1 (Skill Speech)

+1 Endurance

(Note: I will have to label the map at some point in the near future to make it clear what area is what. Working on it).

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 17, 2015, 11:35:03 am »

E.) Continue creation of the new (smaller) boat. Let's finish this thing.
K.) Organize a rest period to raise morale up a bit.

A.) Focus on Defense first (WALLS, and possibly training area?)
D.) Focus on establishing industry and infrastructure (Masonry)
N.) Focus on creating the above ground farm area ( clearing trees, and completing wall?)

III. Work Schedule
It has been 6 days at incredible productivity and effort. Also you promised one more day of work like that, which has just ended with a significant amount of work.... Do you:
D.) Taking a day of rest (will regain morale, as only voluntary work will happen on this day).

B.) Resolve to create work space for masonry in the near future (requires choosing "D.) Focus on establishing industry and infrastructure (specify)" for choice II above).

V.) On military etc.
You have exactly two trained soldiers and Olabv. This represents about 10% of your population, and you have a fair deal of your area walled off, but not entirely.
E.) For now excuse the soldiers from half the labor as everyone else, so they can train half time. Later on, excuse them entirely, see if we can learn something from them, and see if they can instruct everyone in basic self defense. Again, that's later, only half labor for them for now.

I don't like people not being at least content with things. Honestly we've done a whole lot for them and we're doing way better than we would have separately. I mean, we have a freaking hotel with a hospital, kitchen, and lounge area. A lot of these people would be dead if the doctor didn't get our support and medical instruments forged. Of course, I'm not going to say that to any of them, but it's still pretty true.

I get the impression we aren't going to be rescued right away. Let's make this place fairly nice and help the craftsdwarves do that. I really want to just get up the carpentry and masonry places so we can get more furniture and stuff like beds.

I do hope we can manage to get beds up as fast as possible if nothing else, people need places to sleep. If possible I'd like to keep the bed production going, and I hope the carpenter dwarves will be ok with that. Let's hope they choose to be the ones voluntarily still working.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 17, 2015, 12:01:37 pm »

K.) Organize a rest period to raise morale up a bit.
B.) Stay in Starting Area and Craft. I know that one military leader has a sword, but what about the other person that was mentioned now? I don't remember making them a weapon, so we can make them a steel weapon of whatever type they want, with another fancy engraving of itself on it.
If we did make a weapon for them and I just forgot, then I guess just I.) making this part of the suggestion the same as RPL's

D.) Focus on establishing industry and infrastructure (Masonry)
A.) Focus on Defense first. I think we're at the point where the priority on defense can be decreased.

III. Work Schedule
D.) Taking a day of rest (will regain morale, as only voluntary work will happen on this day). I'd like if these priorities kind of carries over to the next day where more work can be done with them, but it'll probably just be another vote for tomorrow so alright.

B.) Resolve to create work space for masonry in the near future (requires choosing "D.) Focus on establishing industry and infrastructure (specify)" for choice II above). Masonry is pretty important.

V.) On military etc.
E.) For now excuse the soldiers from half the labor as everyone else, so they can train half time. Later on, excuse them entirely, see if we can learn something from them.

This ended up being a lot more similar than I expected it would be. So it's almost just a +1 to RPL, but slightly different.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Transcendant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 17, 2015, 12:24:01 pm »

Cool.

I don't think you made a weapon for the other soldier. If you'd like to suggest (and RPL or whoever might even agree with no pressure) to make the other one a weapon of his choice, then that's ok.

RPL. Do you wanna go that route too?

Other than that, I'm looking through the differences and not seeing a whole bunch. I'm not seeing any others unless I missed it. You suggest defense focus can be lessened but that's it really? It's still ADNor NDA. Priority difference, but still nice.

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 17, 2015, 12:27:43 pm »

Eh, sure. I don't care.

You wanna make another metal weapon instead of help out the miners/masons, then I'm for it. Change my post on that one or agree to his or however you wanna do it to keep it simple.

I'm out. Later.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6