Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How long should I wait for people to post

2 days - anyone who dosen't post gets skipped?
2 days - anyone who dosen't post forages
3-4 days - anyone who dosen't post gets skipped
3-4 days - anyone who dosen't post forages
wait until everyone has posted

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18

Author Topic: Ant Colony-On a hiatus  (Read 12943 times)

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is going as planned
    • View Profile
Ant Colony-On a hiatus
« on: July 01, 2015, 01:16:00 pm »

Ant Colony

In this game you control an ant colony and you must grow it and ensure its survival.  But the meadow is a dangerous place for ones as small as the ant, not to mention the other ant colonies that don't like you encroaching on their foraging grounds.  To humans the meadow may seem a peaceful place, but when you are the size of an ant it is dangerous and unforgiving.  Come, your colony needs you to bring them to prosperity.

This is a turn based game where you must ensure the prosperity of an ant colony.  The game is broken into turns, and on each turn all ants of the same type take an action.

This game is broken into seasons and the seasons change every three turns.
The seasons are Spring, Summer, Autumn, and Winter in that order.
  • Spring: Ants gather 50% more food
  • Summer: Ants gather 75% more food
  • Autumn: Ants gather normal food
  • Winter: Ants gather no food

On your turn you have you can do 1 group of ants, groups are determined by what evolutions they have, your Queen does not count, the actions are:
  • Move: Move a group of ants 5 squares, this is used in combat or exploration, you can not move diagonally
  • Forage: Gather food, each ant gather's one food and then a percentage of your ants, determined by a d100 gather extra food. Ants only gather from spaces at most 2 squares from your colony and avoid hostile critters and ants, only one group of ants can forage at any given tile
  • Dig:Dig rooms for your colony or destroy them, it takes 50 ants to dig or destroy a room, the room choices are:
    • Burrow: a basic room, it houses 50 ants and stores 150 food
    • Storeroom:a food storage room, it can store 1,000 food
    • Queen Chambers:a room that houses one Queen, gives you the colony defense bonus if one exists in the colony
  • Reproduce: Increase your ant population by 50% of the ants that reproduce, needs a Queen, a Queen can only be used to reproduce once a turn, all ants reproduced are basic ants, instead of reproducing ants you can birth a Queen with this action, If you have less then 50 ants you can have your Queen produce 50 ants in two turns

Evolve is a free action that can be performed as much as you can pay for it, ants can be evolved as much as they want but can't perform another action

Evolve: Evolve some of your ants (can use only some of a group) and give them new bonus's or abilities, this cost 1 food per ant multiplied by the number of times the ants have been evolved counting this one. However to evolve ants past level 1 you have to have an evolved Queen.  Evolving a Queen costs 5 per level, so 5, then 10, then 15 etc. a Queen can only go up one level a turn and its upkeep is increased by 5 every level.

Spoiler: Queen Levels (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Basic Evolutions (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Special Evolution (click to show/hide)

The meadow is 100 by 100 squares and it has a top (floor zero) and 5 squares deep, each square is 4ft.  You can request a map of your colony plus the area you know at any time to determine start locations I will randomly decide the x and y coordinates and then you will get a three square deep colony, (2 burrows and a Queen chamber) 100 ants, 1 Queen, 300 food (enough for 2 turns)

Each turn ants require upkeep.  An ant requires 1 food per turn multiplied by how many times it has been evolved +1, a Queen requires 5 food per turn multiplied by how many times it has been evolved+1

After 5 turns random events will start happening every turn, these can range anywhere from really good to really bad these are determined with a d100 as well.

1-10 - really bad event
11-35 - bad event
36-65 - neutral event neither good nore bad
66-90 - good event
91-100 - really good event

Combat:
Combat occurs when one group of ants attacks, or is attacked by a hostile creature or another group of ants.  An ant army's combat strength is how many ants are on that army, the winner is the side with the highest combat strength. The loser looses a number of ants equal to the winner's combat strength while the winner looses an amount of ants equal to half the loser's combat strength.  In the case of a tie the defending player wins, being in your own colony doubles your combat strength.

Spoiler: Example (click to show/hide)

Discovered Monsters:
Spoiler: Centipede (click to show/hide)

Other Notes:
There is a river in the map, ants cannot walk on the moving river
An ant hole gives  2 squares vision, otherwise ants can only see the square they are on.
Your colony only counts as 1 square for movement purposes no matter how big it is
Some squares are plentiful and give double food if foraged at, other squares are baren and can't be foraged. (1+1% for plentiful, 10% for barren)
Actions occur in a random player order
If you cannot pay upkeep then ants will canabilize other ants for food until they are fead round up

Turn Sequence:
1. State Action
2. Actions occur
3. Upkeep is paid
4. Next Turn's Event is determined

Spoiler: Player List (click to show/hide)

(Suggestions on how to improve the game are always welcome)

[This post is constantly being updated with clarifications and examples, if you have a question check to see if it was answered]
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 09:50:50 pm by fillipk »
Giving waitlisted people the ability to murder non-responsive players was a great idea. Need to do that more often.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
Re: Ant Colony [0/10] (maybe more)
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 01:25:36 pm »

someone heard me prayers, im in.

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 01:30:28 pm »

Sounds interesting, I'll join.
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

DAPARROT

• Bay Watcher
  • More parrots
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 01:34:11 pm »

I'm in too
I should probably introduce the actual plot soon
7/11 guy, bringer of the apocabeepse. Uplifter of threads. Herald of the hive.

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
Re: Ant Colony [3/10] (maybe more)
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 05:34:06 pm »

Count me in.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ant Colony [3/10] (maybe more)
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 07:19:16 pm »

Seems like it could be interesting. I'll join in.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ant Colony [5/10] (maybe more)
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 08:12:10 pm »

Can I play? This looks fun.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ant Colony [5/10] (maybe more)
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 08:14:20 pm »

Sure all are welcome, now we are just waiting for at least 4 more.
Giving waitlisted people the ability to murder non-responsive players was a great idea. Need to do that more often.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: Ant Colony [6/10] (maybe more)
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2015, 09:50:39 pm »

In.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2015, 10:38:34 pm »

In.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2015, 10:46:14 pm »

I'd like to join as well.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2015, 10:46:28 pm »

I'll join.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ant Colony [8/10] (maybe more)
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2015, 11:09:36 pm »

Okay that is ten people, I'll pm everyone their start location, new people can still join for the first 6 turns but you will not get all the actions you missed.  After you have your start location start posting actions.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ant Colony Game starting people still welcome for the first 6 turns
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2015, 12:02:17 am »

((Noooooo...))

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
Re: Ant Colony Game starting people still welcome for the first 6 turns
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2015, 12:08:55 am »

((Noooooo...))
...you do know you can still join right?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18