Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14

Author Topic: The Price of Freedom  (Read 12744 times)

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Re: The Price of Freedom
« Reply #150 on: July 06, 2015, 09:05:44 pm »

Work for the Baron as a maid of course!

That place is the nerve center of information i'm sure. Plus we can take him out in a coup.
Personal magical strength should be our goal rather than military strength. Working for the baron is a good idea, but we should do so as a musician rather than a maid.

Good point. Let's grab our Whatever we have and play for him.
Mandolin. So yep. Become the Baron's personal musician(and filch any spell tomes in his inevitable book collection).
We shouldn't steal his stuff so soon after we get hired. They'll easily be able to trace the thefts back to us.
Point. Don't start by stealing... but perhaps take the opportunity to see if we can scope the library and see if it has any spell tomes.
FoU has some twisted role ideas. Screw second-guessing this mechanical garbage spaghetti, I'm basing everything on reads and visible daytime behaviour.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 06, 2015, 11:14:25 pm »

Work for the Baron as a maid of course!

That place is the nerve center of information i'm sure. Plus we can take him out in a coup.
Personal magical strength should be our goal rather than military strength. Working for the baron is a good idea, but we should do so as a musician rather than a maid.

Good point. Let's grab our Whatever we have and play for him.
Mandolin. So yep. Become the Baron's personal musician(and filch any spell tomes in his inevitable book collection).
-1, I'm against this because in most medieval societies, there is something called a caste system. Essentially what it means is that you can only take jobs that are in a certain "tier" of labour. For example, children of noble blood are forbidden from doing "low-tier" jobs such as blacksmithing and farming, while on the other side children of peasants are forbidden from doing things such as art, elevating to nobility, knighthood, and being one of the king's personal advisors.

Becoming the Baron's personal Bard would be an almost impossible task, although if you really want to, here is how you do it.

Step 1: Learn to play an instrument (already done)

Step 2: Learn to compose music for that instrument

Step 3: Get that music published

Step 4: Hope the Baron hears about you and offers you a job (please note, in order for that to happen, you have to be one of the Top 5 composers in the continent)

Step 5: Profit

Of course not only is that too long, we have to deal with another problem, medieval era sexism (This is probably the first time in a game where picking your gender actually mattered). Don't panic, we have a second option, become a ministrel.

Minstrels serve 2 purposes, spread news around and play music for the enjoyment of others.

Now it's a lot easier to become a ministrel than it is to become a Baron's royal musician.

Here are the steps:

Step 1: Learn to play an instrument (already done)

Step 2: Walk into a bar

Step 3: Play music (don't worry, they won't kick you out)

Step 4: Profit

Step 5: Once people get tired of you, leave the city, travel to a new one and repeat (while you're there, try to see if you can find anything newsworthy, so you can share it with other towns)

Since minstrels are stereotypically effeminate, we won't have to worry about Sexism too much.

Check to see if the wooden post has anything written on it.
This is the suggestion that has my support. +1
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 07, 2015, 02:40:00 am »

I suppose whether we can play for a baron is a question of what kind of baron it is - barons are about the lowest-ranking nobles you could possibly find, and if this one's of low prestige, he... still probably wouldn't grab a personal musician off the street, but we probably don't need to be very famous to get in either. Though naturally our chances would be better with, say, a baronet or perhaps even a knight.

That is, if there even are nobles in the near vicinity. Nobility might not be seen much in villages, what with their propensity for landowning and castles and whatnot.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 07, 2015, 03:56:37 am »

If not us, then who plays music for a baron?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 07, 2015, 03:40:22 pm »

Check to see if the wooden post has anything written on it.
This is the suggestion that has my support. +1

As you mull over the feasibility of vaulting seven leagues past your current social status in a single step, you idly examine the post. At nighttime, a lantern might be hung from the chain currently swinging in the gentle breeze, but the hook is vacant during the day. You notice something carved into the post itself, though. You lean in to take a closer look...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You really don't know what you were expecting.

Instead, let us go and seek an inn, and try to pretend to be a bard for coin. You seem pretty good with that mandolin, and there's definitely stuff to steal off various traveling merchants if the tips are no good.
+1 to both. We need to at least pretend we have a legitimate job.

You don't know if barding could really be considered a 'legitimate job', but it's a pleasant notion. If it works out, you might even be able to travel to other towns and cities (and maybe even find a mage to learn from).

I suppose whether we can play for a baron is a question of what kind of baron it is

Baron Reghart is... Well. 'Austere' springs to mind. He is, as you understand, an excellent ruler: fair, disciplined, impartial. He's also rather distant - despite hosting feasts, festivals, and competitions on a relatively regular basis, he always remains slightly detached. The general consensus amongst his subjects is that he's like a strict father to Westhallow: not cruel or unkind, but holding high expectations.

You suppose it helps that Westhallow is both small and thriving. Copper mines dug into the hillside, the richly wooded surroundings, and the fertile ground all provide the baron with unusually full coffers for such a small area of land, in turn allowing the baron to treat his subjects to better bread and circuses than most other lords.

Of course, this still leaves you with the same question: what is your immediate plan?

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 07, 2015, 03:48:06 pm »

Oh, so it's that kind of baron. How awful.

Examine the post ornament a bit closer to check if it appears to be fractal in nature. If not, add to it appropriately.

Then move to the nearest inn and see about current barding possibilities.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 07, 2015, 06:08:08 pm »

Examine the post ornament a bit closer to check if it appears to be fractal in nature. If not, add to it appropriately.
-1. I don't like looking at dickbutt any more than I have to.

+1
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 07, 2015, 06:26:09 pm »

Look we're just voices in your head going of whatever piecemeal info we get from what we tell you to do. Shit girl We don't know what options are available. Tell us about the town, the shops, the people, anything. God damn.

How am I supposed to make a plan when I don't have any concrete information about anything? I had kinda assumed that relevant NPCs and locations and objects would sorta just happen when I made that grand old world domination thing up there.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 06:27:59 pm by Dermonster »
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 07, 2015, 06:49:14 pm »

Look we're just voices in your head going of whatever piecemeal info we get from what we tell you to do. Shit girl We don't know what options are available. Tell us about the town, the shops, the people, anything. God damn.
+1

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 07, 2015, 06:59:02 pm »

-1. I don't like looking at dickbutt any more than I have to.
+1, or, uh, -1, +1 to the -1.
+1
+1 this would be quite good too.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 07, 2015, 07:06:34 pm »

+1
+1 this would be quite good too.
Let's not turn into Everyone is John. but yeah, a good think is in order, what did we do yesterday?

edit: messed up the quote pyramid.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 07:08:44 pm by a1s »
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 07, 2015, 07:07:07 pm »

Make with the saying.
FoU has some twisted role ideas. Screw second-guessing this mechanical garbage spaghetti, I'm basing everything on reads and visible daytime behaviour.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 07, 2015, 08:04:33 pm »

Oh, so it's that kind of baron. How awful.

+1
Max avatar size is 80x80

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 07, 2015, 11:06:12 pm »

How am I supposed to make a plan when I don't have any concrete information about anything?

I promise I'm not trying to be obtuse. I recommend asking questions (like 'what's sort of person is the baron' or 'what kinds of travelers come through Westhallow'). I don't want to say 'you know people are saying that wizards from the capital have been in talks with the baron, but they don't know why' without any prompting because I feel like I'm saying 'DM says go investigate the wizards'. Ravaatra would be more than happy to answer any specific questions, though!

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 07, 2015, 11:46:37 pm »

What people do we know of? Do we have any useful contacts? What do people think of us? What important establishments do we know of? Do we know of any wizards staying here or travelling through here? Where can we find this information?
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14