Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14

Author Topic: The Price of Freedom  (Read 12691 times)

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
Re: The Price of Freedom
« Reply #165 on: July 08, 2015, 06:14:51 am »

How am I supposed to make a plan when I don't have any concrete information about anything?

I promise I'm not trying to be obtuse. I recommend asking questions (like 'what's sort of person is the baron' or 'what kinds of travelers come through Westhallow'). I don't want to say 'you know people are saying that wizards from the capital have been in talks with the baron, but they don't know why' without any prompting because I feel like I'm saying 'DM says go investigate the wizards'. Ravaatra would be more than happy to answer any specific questions, though!

Ah, Alright. I just hope that we get presented with relevent information if Ravaatra knows something more about a situation than we do.

Like say, hypothetically, we wouldn't give a boy a peanut butter cookie even if we voted on it if he A) Was allergic to peanut butter B) We didn't know but ravaatra did, and c) Weren't intentionally trying to murder his ass.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 08, 2015, 07:55:13 am »

Like say, hypothetically, we wouldn't give a boy a peanut butter cookie even if we voted on it if he A) Was allergic to peanut butter B) We didn't know but ravaatra did, and c) Weren't intentionally trying to murder his ass.
I like how we (hypothetically) have this elaborate plan to kill a boy (presumably by leading him out of a crowded place by bribing him with candy first) and he's just allergic to peanut butter.
Code: [Select]
VICTORY
You defeated: 1 x Boy
Loot: 2 GP 10 XP
1 epiPen found
-- Press A --
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 08, 2015, 08:30:43 am »

You're saying that like I don't have three!
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 08, 2015, 09:36:27 am »

I'm sorry, I skipped a step there. I'm saying there are (over) 3 cases where we would give him the cookie- If he's not allergic, if Ravaatra doesn't know, or if we're trying to kill him (and don't know, but Ravaatra does.) It funny to me, how Revatraa goes through this elaborate mental process of 'how to commit the perfect murder' and then thinks "f--k it, I'll just poison him with a pastry".

The unrelated EpiPen joke doesn't help.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

conein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 08, 2015, 02:50:41 pm »

How did we get to murdering kids with cookies?

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 08, 2015, 06:24:17 pm »

I made a metaphor while telling the GM to not forget to supplement our lacking OOC knowledge with logically relevant IC knowledge.

Or maybe I wish to become a hansel and gretel villain.

Either or.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 06:26:02 pm by Dermonster »

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 08, 2015, 07:10:34 pm »

How did we get to murdering kids with cookies?

You're on Bay12.

What people do we know of?

Well, there's your father, of course. He's a giant of a man with a bushy red beard and a knack for building things. You daresay he's the best carpenter in the entire town, as well as an excellent architect. He spends most of his time working, but, when he's unoccupied with that, he can usually be found either at the tavern enjoying the company of other people or at home working still: building furniture, repairing the house, and even adding entire rooms. He was the one who bought you your mandolin and encouraged you to learn how to play, and, when you perform, he always cheers the most, claps the loudest, and sings along in his rumbling baritone.

Then there's Baron Reghart: hard-faced, and composed. You've already covered him.

The baron's court wizard, Cotrom, always struck a strange mix of fear and curiosity with you. Tall and thin with a sallow face and a complete lack of interpersonal skills, he rarely stood out in the public eye. Many times you wondered what would happen if you approached him and inquired about an apprenticeship, but you couldn't. He's just too recalcitrant.

And creepy. That too.

Finally there's Bregg. Bregg visits Westhallow intermittently, but he came from the capital: Reskalin. You were his protege of sorts, learning the tricks of the trade - the trade, in this case, being thievery. He tried to convince you to leave for Reskalin with him last time he was in town, but you couldn't leave your father. You see, your father doesn't... doesn't really know about Bregg. You'd prefer to keep it that way.

Do we have any useful contacts?

Of course! You know all of the innkeepers, most of the merchants (albeit only the non-travelling variety), and at least a few of the keep's staff. You don't know all of them particularly well, but you know most of them well enough to ask questions and request reasonable favors.

What do people think of us?

That you're an angel, of course.

Or rather, they think highly of your father and have either neutral or positive opinions of you personally.

What important establishments do we know of?

You gather your thoughts and mentally conjure an inestimably shitty visual representation of the town's general layout and significant features.

The Keep is, obviously, the baron's fortress. The Fairgrounds are a set of fields kept clear for public use, mostly for festivals and celebrations. The Mines are a series of tunnels, both natural and man-made, that contain the town's copper mines. You don't know how extensive they are, but people tell a lot of stories about endless passageways and malevolent kobolds. It's probably all bunk, though.

The Crossroads Inn and the Church of the Woods are directly opposite each other, off to the side of the highway. Strangely, the Inn is actually along the only highway anywhere near the town as opposed to actually being on a crossroads. You're on good terms with the proprietor of the Inn, but you rarely visit the Church. Your father is a frequent patron of both. Just south of the highway is the Market, where shops and stalls line the roads and vendors hawk their goods to passing pedestrians.

Near the eastern wall is Henderson's Pond, which is fed by streams coming from down the hillside and in turn feeds into a stream crossing through town. Near the pond is... something. There wasn't anything there in the past, but now the baron's guards turn everyone away, except for a small group of laborers from the keep. The two shrines to Venedayn and Fergan are on opposite sides of the road leading down from the mines. The devotees of each shrine can usually be found yelling curses at the others shrine's visitors from across the road.

Finally, there's the South Gate Inn near the southeastern corner of town, near your own house.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 08, 2015, 07:41:48 pm »

Go to the inn and see if we can get a job there playing music. Afterwards, explore the mines for a place to stash our loot.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 10:18:04 pm by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 08, 2015, 08:03:52 pm »

Totes gonna steal a book from Cotrom

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 08, 2015, 08:25:08 pm »

I say we should inquiry about the routines of the Baron's mage. Maybe asks some guards, or something. With that in mind, we may be able to know more about him, and probably begin a conversation or something.

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 08, 2015, 10:16:09 pm »

Go to the inn and see if we can get a job there playing music. Afterwards, explore the mines to look for places to stash our loot.
+1 Try the Crossroads Inn first because we know the owner.
Max avatar size is 80x80

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 08, 2015, 10:26:32 pm »

I say we should inquiry about the routines of the Baron's mage. Maybe asks some guards, or something. With that in mind, we may be able to know more about him, and probably begin a conversation or something.

+1

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 08, 2015, 11:01:47 pm »

+1
Wouldn't it look suspicious if we do this? What reason would we have for knowing the mage's routine? When his tome of magic knowledge goes missing, wouldn't the guards be able to tell it was us by how we were asking about him?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 09, 2015, 02:12:01 am »

Totes gonna steal a book from Cotrom

How about we buy something from him instead, or better yet, do him a favor of some kind? Creepy, antisocial wizards do need things done every now and then, and we seem like just the person for it, being both sorcerously talented in all likelihood as well as discreet. Maybe he needs a corpse from a graveyard, or some kind of other crap wizards need, you know? And then he might give us stuff for giving it to him! Maybe even magical stuff, eventually.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 09, 2015, 07:33:50 am »

+1
Wouldn't it look suspicious if we do this? What reason would we have for knowing the mage's routine? When his tome of magic knowledge goes missing, wouldn't the guards be able to tell it was us by how we were asking about him?
Who says we are going to to steal something? This is to get to know the fellow better, or at least to be able to talk to him, something we haven't even tried yet. The idea would be to get him to talk about magic, so that we show interest, and, who knows, maybe he can teach us something, lend us a book, or something similar.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14