Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14

Author Topic: The Great Game of the Gods (A twice daily forum game) New players welcome  (Read 15903 times)

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile

That depends on how much of a focus would be put on the champions. If you're going to do full character pieces like Iituem that's fine, but for the level of detail the game has been at up till now that would just be unnecessary fiddly bits. The previous system you had:

Champions can be appointed using worship points. Their willingness will vary depending on the points put in. (1 point will not be very inclined to die for your cause, but 15 would be a zealot who'd destroy the world for you.) Champions can do anything and don't necessarily need to be combat oriented. They are simply guided NPC's.

is simpler and doesn't seem like it'd actually lose anything when compared to the new system for this game's level of focus.

Also, from a fluff perspective, couldn't we just try to choose a individual suited to being a champion, or is that what we're doing when we're spending extra WP from a roleplay perspective?

Finally, how does all this interact with my Hivemind ability?

EDIT: Oh yeah, monsters. Are they gonna spawn naturally or are they something we, the gods are going to be creating? If the latter, some actual rules and information on them would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 01:29:16 pm by Demonic Spoon »

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile

For the record, I plan on creating several races.

I've just been trying to build up to that point instead of skipping steps. >.>

And I knew way ahead of time that integrating a god into the Hivemind was not going to be possible or easy. Not without fully defeating the god first, that is.

Hmmm...now...how to watch the world burn...

And Spiderking, could I ask you to post the map every turn? Maybe have little icons to denote what types of life/which gods are in which regions? That second part isn't really important, just cool.

It gets tiresome to look back at the first page every time I need to check how the map is set up.

Also, I find it...interesting...that 1 WP seems like barely anything in terms of mortals being devoted. So are mortals not inclined to actually be religious and martyrs and all in this world? I mean, there's quite a lot of individuals in real life who have been willing to die for their beliefs. Were they all the equivalent of expensive champions?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
    • Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod

Also, from a fluff perspective, couldn't we just try to choose a individual suited to being a champion, or is that what we're doing when we're spending extra WP from a roleplay perspective?

Finally, how does all this interact with my Hivemind ability?

EDIT: Oh yeah, monsters. Are they gonna spawn naturally or are they something we, the gods are going to be creating? If the latter, some actual rules and information on them would be appreciated.

Yes, that is what you are doing with the spending the extra WP. You are finding or guiding a mortal to be better suited to what you want them to do and how they act. The cost of 1 WP is just to start the process of naming a champion of your god (it also has the added bonus of letting me know to make a champion. Then depending on how specific you want your champion (there will be a template, don't worry) you can spend more. Ultimately you don't have to customize them, its just an option.

With your hivemind ability I was going to make their personalities more muted. More like parts of a living machine that is greater than them. Sort of silimilar to how clockwork champions will be, but with a hivemind twist. Is that about where you imagine champions of your race sort of going? To that one mind one body/machine theme?

Monsters will spawn unnaturally. While anything that a god creates could be monstrous in design, true monsters have a separate origin counter to the Gods. In addition, their power will vary greatly as will almost every aspect (a lot of die rolls go into monster making).

And Spiderking, could I ask you to post the map every turn? Maybe have little icons to denote what types of life/which gods are in which regions? That second part isn't really important, just cool.

Also, I find it...interesting...that 1 WP seems like barely anything in terms of mortals being devoted. So are mortals not inclined to actually be religious and martyrs and all in this world? I mean, there's quite a lot of individuals in real life who have been willing to die for their beliefs. Were they all the equivalent of expensive champions?

I can try. It's done on graphics gale so its not very good for something like that. I may have to convert it to paint or something else. Maybe do a roll20 sort of thing. I have no idea how it can be done, but I would love to have that sort of thing.

A normal mortal is a worshiper, like someone who goes to church every Sunday. A 2 is like someone who has very strong beliefs, a 5 or so would be a pastor or priest, a 10 would be high priest or pope and a 15-20 would be a messiah. Worship points are designed to let you set some extra pieces in motion to advance your gods goals without your god doing them directly.

That being said a martyr could really only have a faith of 3-4 if they had the right personality. A coward with a faith of 10 would be less likely to die for the cause than a paladin with a faith of 5. The lower levels are more like indirect influence on a persons life while 5+ is more akin to them directly working for your church/faith. A 1 just means that you have selected them a 2 means tat you gave them a push in the right direction. So on and so forth.

I am about to end this turn if anyone wants to make a move, they have until I am done typing up everyones actions.
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

With your hivemind ability I was going to make their personalities more muted. More like parts of a living machine that is greater than them. Sort of silimilar to how clockwork champions will be, but with a hivemind twist. Is that about where you imagine champions of your race sort of going? To that one mind one body/machine theme?
Yeah, that works I guess.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile

If you had a different idea/direction let me know.
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I was mostly concerned since it just seemed like that would result in what feels like an abnormally low number of priests, since they're so expensive.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I was mostly concerned since it just seemed like that would result in what feels like an abnormally low number of priests, since they're so expensive.
Not really? One priest per hundred people is a pretty good ratio considering a hundred worshippers give 10 WP which is more than enough to make a high-tier priest. And that's only per turn.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Really?

I didn't see anything about certain numbers of worshippers giving you certain amounts of WP.

Are you just going off your own race's numbers and scaling it up from there? Because somehow I doubt that'll be the actual numbers, especially considering your Hivemind reducing WP.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's right there in the OP.

You will receive power from worshipers, worshiper power (WP) You will get one power for ten worshipers.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile

I gave the number 10 for one at the very beginning before really working them out. Its hard to balance things beforehand because you don't know how things will play out. Its impossible to prepare for everything.

Perhaps there should be a per turn WP cost. That way it keeps the number of champions to a reasonable number. Otherwise, once you get like 100 followers you could make a powerful person every turn and that would be hard to keep track of everyone's.

How does a per turn cost sound? I think that's a good way of keeping the number of champions low. As a result, I will make them more powerful and influential. A sort of less is more approach.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd be fine with that.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile

How about the faith/obedience cost is persistent and adjustable? So you can put points into the creation of the personality, but how much they listen to you per turn is based on how much you put in per turn. That way you don't have to pay big time for you paladin whos sitting around doing nothing, but can increase the influence on the store clerk who just discovered he is a chosen one. The player can pick how they divvy up their income and that adds another layer of strategy on how you split it up and how much you save.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile

End of Turn 4

Special Note: All players need to post their region at the beginning of their posts. This is necessary so I don't have to search for it or go through backlogs of posts to find everyone's location. This will improve the game because regional effects and the spread of life will be easier to keep track of. I am incapable of remembering the position of all 8 or you, and your creations. If you have already been doing this or have started to do this, I thank you.

The state of the world (End of 4 / beginning of turn 5)
1.   Mountains, barren
2.   Microbial life
3.   Glaciers,
3.1 Snow Children, sulfur geysers, purple bacteria
4.   Barren,
5.   Barren
6.   Barren,
7.   Dark prescence
8.   Barren
9.   Barren
10.   Lake, poisonous fish, seaweed, lake coral, rabbits, deer, foxes, coyotes, and Great Scorpions
11.   Barren
12.   Barren
13.   Microbial life, lichen, and moss, Sollia
14.   Fire trees, a 2.5 story tower of glowing lavender stone
15.   Barren
16.   Barren
17.   Barren
18.    Microlife, small plants, forge trees, ANDs, (Previously unnumbered region)
19.   Barren
20.   Barren
21.   Islands, bacteria, grass, grasshoppers and chickens, gallimimus, Sullag
22.   Barren
23.   Barren
24.   Barren
Water
1.   Microscopic life, Integrators, manavore plankton, seaweed
1.1 Waterheart, Blind Worm
2.   Microscopic life,
3.   Microscopic life
4.   Microscopic life
Sky
1.   Lightning Bacteria, Arismits
2.   Lightning Bacteria, Arismits

Stats:

Name: The Blind Worm, the Devouring Maw
Stats: 5 DP, 1 WP, 7 IP

Through divine action your followers have reproduced incredibly quickly. (changed added a +3 every two turns aka 1.5 per turn)

From your abyssal maw life and water spewed forth. First  seaweed manavore plankton that eek out a life on ambient mana and stray nutrients found in the ocean. Secondly, as if you had given your own heart to the ocean, a large coral reef sprung up in water region 1. As you had created water from nothing, this reef had a similar power. Water streamed out from the reef. The Waterheart has been created as a subregion within W1.

Use 2 WP to make one of the Integrators a Mage Champion. (Champion pending, in which way did you want to spend the second point? Faith or personality?)

Name: Valvatorez
Stats:  23 DP, 2 WP, 10 IP

No action. (Still not sure on the math there. I feel as if he may have 22. Can someone check that?)

Name: Arim
Stats: 17 DP, 0 WP, 10 IP

No change

Name: Toras
Stats: 15 DP, 0 WP, 9 IP

No change

Vornfar
Stats: 5 DP, 0 WP, 10 IP

Life scatters from your powerful claws. Even the small predators know when to run. (-3 for rabbits, -3 for dear, -3 for foxes -3 for coyotes).

The first of many great beasts to stalk the lands. The Great Scorpion is truly a terror to behold! (-3 for insect, -1 for large, -3 for paralysis, -2 for secondary gills)

Sollia
Stats: 17 DP, 0 WP, 10 IP

Sun grass spreads across the land like wildfire. (Can't remember what region you're in so please post that when taking actions) (-1 for simple plant)

The world was still and lifeless before your glorious dance. In your wake fire flies dance around you, a reflection of your bright nature, while crickets fill the world with music. (-2 for fireflies, -2 for crickets)

Sullag
Stats: 10 DP, 0WP, 10 IP

You lay a great and divine egg. From this egg several gallimimus hatch and spread across the tiny islands. They are somewhat cramped however as there are no wide open spaces among the small islands. (-4 for complex animal)

Name: Ignis
Stats: 5 DP, 0 WP, 8 IP

You thrust a dark tower up from the ground. It is composed of a glimmering purple-ish material. It glows and glitters slightly. After two and a half stories you felt you power failing. You must gather more power to continue building. (-2.5 per story = -5 power.) (I wasn't sure of the exact dimensions of the tower. I thought it would have a fairly decent perimeter  so I made the cost a little high. If it is skinny then the height can be adjusted. Some dimension estimates would be helpful for imagining and pricing this)

These numbers include your points for next turn.

The sky grows even darker yet. A strange presence enters the world. It immediately demands your attention. It feels somehow wrong and is very alarming to your very nature. It is not only strange and foreign, but also quite powerful. Perhaps even more powerful than you. The sky over region 7 grows even darker yet. The dark force seems to be emanating from that area ans the entire area is shrouded in darkness. After a few hours its presence diminishes. However, something still remains. 
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 05:20:07 pm by Spiderking50 »

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm in water region 1

Use three DP to restore one Ichor.

End of Turn 3
This is wrong?

1.   Microscopic life, Integrators
I also made seaweed? Since I thought manavores would only cost 0.5 Power, so 1.5 For seaweed + 0.5 for Manavore Plankton.

(Champion pending, in which way did you want to spend the second point? Faith or personality?)
Spend extra WP on personality (Since faith is a temporary investment per the latest champion rule post)

Name: Valvatorez
Stats:  23 DP, 2 WP, 10 IP
I'm pretty sure his DP is wrong yo. Like, 90% sure it should be less than twenty. Micelus, could you look through it yourself and confirm please?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 03:17:53 am by Demonic Spoon »

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile

Fixed.

Fixed.

Ok. Expect a champion template post in the next few hours.

He's spent 7 so far. I'm not sure hoe much he should have total. Its highly possible that i mistyped or mismathed along the way somewhere.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14