Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Rise of the (Kobold) God: My Shaman is Better Than Yours [Discussion Thread]  (Read 5729 times)

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile

Are pantheons things that can happen? Like could one being be a Believer in two gods?

variablenonsense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's actually getting ahead of yourselves now.

Pantheon mechanics will be discussed when appropriate.
Call me Vari. It's easier to type.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Froggy Ninja, you seem rather intent on Life/Death. I'm curious about what you'd want our middle and end games to look like as Life/Death, and why that's so better than going pure Life plus some other sphere (for argument's sake, let's say Nature for the earth magic boost).

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well what scale are we gonna be working on here? Dreamwalkers will allow our faith to spread crazy fast. We know it's 100 for the new sphere but that's like half a village.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Froggy Ninja, you seem rather intent on Life/Death. I'm curious about what you'd want our middle and end games to look like as Life/Death, and why that's so better than going pure Life plus some other sphere (for argument's sake, let's say Nature for the earth magic boost).
I'm not trying to oppose your viewpoint here, but doesn't the nature sphere oppose the magic sphere, require the tribe to respect nature, and hinder industrialization? Granted, earth magic can become ludicrously powerful, but the costs seem to be too steep (and oppose a lot of the cool things you can do with earth magic).
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well do they need to know we're a death cult? also move this to the discussion thread.
Well, they're eventually going to find out (via immigration, emigration, spies, the personality of our worshipers,  or other means), and when they do we're going to take a massive hit to our PR, and reinforce the public's (racist) beliefs of that kobolds are evil, likely causing our worship to be outlawed and nations (and their respective gods) to become hostile, or even declare war on us. Growing the crops of other nations and being able to give kings heirs of a desired gender with life magic, however, are great bargaining chips and are wonderful for our image as a kind, peaceful god.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well I mean a death cult is usually a bunch of emo murderers. We are using death magic to resurrect people and give worthy and willing people in the afterlife a purpose as weapons and advisors.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, I'm pro taking a stance as a benevolent death cult seeking to bestow immortality on the people we like.  Actual immortality too, not creepy lich immortality.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, but can't we do that with life (giving life to corpses, returning people to life)?

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well I mean the whole point is that they're the same. Taking away one is the same as giving the other and both could be used as valuable resources in their raw form. But if we choose Death then we can instill a love and tolerance perspective to the spheres early on allowing for late game shenanigans.

variablenonsense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nature does oppose the Magic sphere, but doesn't necessarily require a respect for creation.

The dragons building stone palaces weren't exactly hippies; they exacted mastery over their domain and subjugated nature to their whims.

Likewise, as mentioned, death doesn't have to be an "emo" cult. Have you ever heard of jazz funerals, for example? There have been many non morose views of death in history.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well I mean the whole point is that they're the same. Taking away one is the same as giving the other and both could be used as valuable resources in their raw form. But if we choose Death then we can instill a love and tolerance perspective to the spheres early on allowing for late game shenanigans.
Do you mean that you're choosing death because it's hated? Couldn't we just pick up equality, balance, or acceptance (as spheres) later on?

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm not trying to oppose your viewpoint here, but doesn't the nature sphere oppose the magic sphere, require the tribe to respect nature, and hinder industrialization? Granted, earth magic can become ludicrously powerful, but the costs seem to be too steep (and oppose a lot of the cool things you can do with earth magic).
Uh. Yes, terrible example. I didn't think it through at all.

Well what scale are we gonna be working on here? Dreamwalkers will allow our faith to spread crazy fast. We know it's 100 for the new sphere but that's like half a village.
I'd expect civilization level. Ignore the example given of Life/Nature, and let's just say pure Life, with an untapped sphere to adapt to changing circumstances.

Well I mean a death cult is usually a bunch of emo murderers. We are using death magic to resurrect people and give worthy and willing people in the afterlife a purpose as weapons and advisors.
I'm not seeing where they'd want to be bound into items to serve as weapons and advisers, instead of living forever, with available rezzes in case of accidental death (Or oblivion. That sounds pretty nice compared with being shoved into a crossbow).

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nature does oppose the Magic sphere, but doesn't necessarily require a respect for creation.

The dragons building stone palaces weren't exactly hippies; they exacted mastery over their domain and subjugated nature to their whims.

Likewise, as mentioned, death doesn't have to be an "emo" cult. Have you ever heard of jazz funerals, for example? There have been many non morose views of death in history.
Yes, but nature is a much less powerful sphere than magic, and we're probably going to get splinter cults that take their worship of death too far and start sacrificing or murdering people.

variablenonsense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oi, telling the GM what spheres are better? :P There are definite uses for both.

I mentioned it before but I will again. Balance is not available as a sphere.

I'm happy to take ideas for spheres but the nature of spheres involves duality. Balance inherently negates duality.

Maybe try law/chaos if you're looking for that kind of thing.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6