Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 402 403 [404] 405 406 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 831268 times)

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: It Just Works
« Reply #6045 on: May 07, 2016, 03:31:14 am »

Next Fallout game needs to be New York. I know it was Nuked according to the TV in Fallout 4, but you could create a blast radius area and leave Manhattan etc. mostly intact (ruins not flattened).

Thing I would like to see is for them to double down on polishing and integrating settlements, and more dynamic map. Right now you get a static world, with a few specific areas where random things can occur when you move into them. Rather than that I'd like to see them give raider groups etc. the ability to live in different locations, maybe moving from place to place sometimes in a nomadic manner as they loot. One week they are at location X, next week they move to location Y. And the exact number of raiders might fluctuate with their fortunes. The leaders could also be randomized, and you could add a power structure dimension like Shadows of Mordor.

I think the above could work alongside a more traditional story telling RPG experience. Now we take giant open world games as the standard, it's time to actually make them feel more alive.
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6046 on: May 07, 2016, 04:52:59 am »

I'm actually hoping for something in the Midwest, right along the Mississippi, maybe involving trains and riverboats and multiple worldspaces.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #6047 on: May 07, 2016, 05:07:59 am »

Honestly, as long as Obsidian makes another Fallout, I'll be happy regardless of setting.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6048 on: May 07, 2016, 06:50:45 am »

I'm actually hoping for something in the Midwest, right along the Mississippi, maybe involving trains and riverboats and multiple worldspaces.

That would be interesting. There wouldn't be as many structures as in other games, but I'd expect strong radiation over former farmland and gigantic craters where missile silos used to be.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #6049 on: May 07, 2016, 07:37:50 am »

As this'll be a strong thematic tie to have the inclusion of the settlement system.
Since when has Beth ever used a "strong thematic tie" with its mechanics? I mean this is the game where the settlement system was INTRODUCED but they saw no reason to give you any in character reason to do it other then "protag always accepts everything blindly"

I would have liked to be able to use console commands to hack her out, but survival :(
Rip.
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/11834/?

I really don't get all the 'Put the next Fallout in X country!' stuff, there are no fleshed out or even described groups operating outside of the old U.S., hell we've got pretty much no information on Mexico or any of Canada and they're right next door.  If Bethesda placed a game outside of the States there would be almost nothing to link the games together
This is EXACTLY WHY we want this. Because we WANT to see other stuff fleshed out, we want to see the other side's perspective, both before AND after the bombs, and it allows for the creators to go absolutely NUTS with what they want to throw in.
There are plenty of ways to link the games. Thematically if nothing else. Just showing an over the top flanderization of how the country in question worked pre-war through logs and such and having survivors trying to rebuild the bombed out ruins of crazy locations would go a long way toward characterizing it as "a Fallout game"

I mean, you noted "BoS in FRANCE!" as a bad idea. Why is it any better to keep doing it over and over in every US state? Because that's what the series is now. Same shit, different state.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 07:40:12 am by BFEL »
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6050 on: May 07, 2016, 08:40:43 am »

This will probably come off as bitter, but I don't mean for it to...  I don't think I'll buy the next Fallout.  Fallout 4 is a pretty great game in a lot of ways, it's just not giving me the nostalgia I'm looking for.  And the mechanics just aren't doing it for me.  (I wonder if I'd resent Skyrim if I grew up on Daggerfall and Morrowind)

Though if they set a game near Chicago I'd probably change my tune.  A FPS RPG reimagining the events of Fallout Tactics could be really cool...  Though so far they've always advanced time, so the robot threat would be taken care of.  But just think!  A shaky coalition of ghouls, super mutants, tribals and DEATHCLAWS barely united under the Midwestern BoS, trying to stay together now that the apocalyptic robots are defeated.  That makes for interesting faction dynamics, yeah?  Should the BoS centrally control this federation, or should it remain a loose alliance?

The gimmick would probably be squad combat.  Ideally with replaceable, mortal recruits...  But probably with 2-3 unique "companions" from each faction.  Plus dogs... lots of dogs.

And then, from the east...  BoS xenophobes.

Maybe I've been spoiled by The Last Federation :P
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6051 on: May 07, 2016, 08:46:55 am »

This will probably come off as bitter, but I don't mean for it to...  I don't think I'll buy the next Fallout.
What if the next one is Obsidian fixing everything again? :P

Indeed, I do this.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6052 on: May 07, 2016, 08:49:18 am »

I'd love another New Vegas, only problem is they already did New Vegas...  But true, I'm open to another Obsidian installment (:
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6053 on: May 07, 2016, 09:19:57 am »

Since when has Beth ever used a "strong thematic tie" with its mechanics? I mean this is the game where the settlement system was INTRODUCED but they saw no reason to give you any in character reason to do it other then "protag always accepts everything blindly"

Bethesda way of design is about giving player options they can pick and not pick. They usually don't offer much choices within those choices but you almost always have options to turn down anything thrown at you. Bethesda doesn't give your character motivation but if you choose to do what is offered to you, you probably do have a reason. You always have a choice to just walk away.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6054 on: May 07, 2016, 09:23:32 am »

As this'll be a strong thematic tie to have the inclusion of the settlement system.

I can't imagine why the character might want a safe place that provides them with supplies and a place to store and modify gear.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6055 on: May 07, 2016, 10:34:24 am »

I can't imagine why the character might want a safe place that provides them with supplies and a place to store and modify gear.
That's nice and all, but you can pretty much do that with Red Rocket, which is within a mile of where you wake up. Without having to build shit. And the constructions that you build would take at least days, if not months to build in real life, time that your character has no motivation to waste on when they could be going after their son.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just had to sit through Maxson's opening speech again. Fucking hell he's a douchebag. Spent the whole time pointing a gun in his face for lols.
Its ironic that Maxson believes synths can't think when he obviously hasn't put a single thought of his own into the issue. Just about makes me physically ill sitting through his bullshit.

Indeed, I do this.

Bluexdog

• Bay Watcher
  • Most likely in the RTD section
    • View Profile
« Reply #6056 on: May 07, 2016, 10:48:05 am »

I'm bored with the normal fallout 4, anyone have any challenges to do?
No sig yet

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6057 on: May 07, 2016, 11:00:45 am »

Try the "use only the lewdest mods while your grandma is visiting" challenge.
Love, scriver~

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6058 on: May 07, 2016, 11:23:23 am »

I'm bored with the normal fallout 4, anyone have any challenges to do?

Playing with some mods that ramp up the difficulty, doing survival mode, while also trying very hard not to die. Every time I die I put a scar on my face.
Just hit level 14 and I've only legitimately died twice (not counting some stupid bullshit like falling off the church or walking into a mine).
Both of those deaths though were also a bit silly. Way over powered dog and a way over powered ghoul (who mutated right in front of me and one shotted me).

Basically I'd suggest play like this, semi-Iron Man, where you try and only die a handful of times while playing, and never because you choose to be rambo
against superior forces.

I played a fair few hours before restarting and doing this playthough, the regular fight-die-reload-fight again-win style, and this time round its way more engaging. Firefights can be extremely tense, and a lot of times I've had to cut and run. This brings your judgement back into the game in a real way, because there are actual consequences.
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6059 on: May 07, 2016, 11:49:03 am »

Here's a cool mod to go with survival mode locking out fast travel.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/10157/?

Lets you build motorbikes (which use fuel), vertibirds (if you have accessed them already through going to that island), and teleportation devices (if you have been to the instititute).

Using these you can fast travel between your settlements. Seems like an excellent work around.
Pages: 1 ... 402 403 [404] 405 406 ... 462